Loreto Accommodation

avocado77 - 1-5-2007 at 05:46 PM

I am trying to make a choice between these hotels:-
Villas de Loreto
Cabanas de Loreto
Cocoas Cabanas
Iguana Inn
Plaza Loreto??

Have not been to Baja for 20 years!!!! Looking for accommodation that has a taste of Mexico. Travelling from Australia and staying in Loreto for about a week.

Capt. George - 1-5-2007 at 06:11 PM

Cocoas Cabanas...nice new seperate units surrounding a swimming pool. Near town and near to the beach..

Owner Barrett very helpful and a wealth of loreto knowledge..

Yes, he is a friend of mine, but his place speaks for itself. He books up really fast now, so I wouldn't waste time..

Good luck!

abreojos - 1-6-2007 at 12:24 AM

I'll bet you'll be glad to get back to Australia after seeing what's happened here over the last 20 years!

djh - 1-6-2007 at 02:06 PM

I just returned from Loreto again, and stayed (again... many times now) with the fine folks at Coco Cabanas.

Capt. George is right about Cocos Cabanas ~ Wonderfully peaceful, very close to everything, yet quiet, and all fine folks.

Julie at Iguana Inn is also a gem. I've tried to stay with them, but they are smaller, and in high demand, so I haven't been able to yet.

Not much personal knowledge about the others you listed.

Have a wonderful trip! Loreto has changed, and is currently experiencing growth pains, yet it is still my favorite town in Baja.

djh

Don Alley - 1-6-2007 at 02:33 PM

Villas de Loreto has closed.

The other places are all good, you've picked the good ones.

Loreto accomodations

Loretana - 1-6-2007 at 11:33 PM

I can highly recommend Les and Linda Clark's "Las Cabanas de Loreto", which is conveniently located right off the Malecon on the South end. The four cabanas are very comfortable, and extremely clean with well stocked kitchenettes.

They have a video library, pool with jacuzzi and a very handy barbecue/fish fillet area. The patio and outdoor seating areas are also great.

Small rental cars fit inside the compound for secure parking.

Les and Linda and are both very personable and fun to chat with. Daughter Jill and her husband Rick round out the team.

A-1 folks in my book. Take a look at

www.lascabanasdeloreto.com

rhintransit - 1-7-2007 at 09:23 AM

I've stayed at both Cocos Cabanas and Iguana Inn and you can't go wrong with either. I prefer II for location and the rooms themselves (decor and furnishings), but if you want a pool and are willing to walk a bit, CC is good, too. the difference in price reflects only the pool. the owners of either will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

Minnow - 1-7-2007 at 09:50 AM

I enjoyed the Iguana Inn when we stayed there. Owners are great, the rooms are clean, and the bathrooms are large modern. It is the kind of place you can stay several days and enjoy the town.:biggrin:

adventuregirl007 - 5-22-2007 at 10:03 AM

I am sad to see Villas De Loreto is closed. Does any one know why & when they closed?

bajabird - 5-22-2007 at 11:26 AM

Ron & Wendy closed for retirement from the business. They closed last July or so.

bajajudy - 5-22-2007 at 11:43 AM

Of the ones you posted that are open, Plaza Loreto would be a distant last.
You might want to check into Oasis. It is right on the water and very Mexican. We stayed there for the first time last January and I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms. And early walks on the beach are a big plus.

Only one place to stay....

Lee - 5-22-2007 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
I can highly recommend Les and Linda Clark's "Las Cabanas de Loreto", which is conveniently located right off the Malecon on the South end. The four cabanas are very comfortable, and extremely clean with well stocked kitchenettes.

www.lascabanasdeloreto.com

Check availability at their website. Best in Loreto.

:cool:

Cypress - 5-22-2007 at 02:10 PM

Had the good fortune to sit next to Les on a flight down to Loreto back in March, he's a super person and their place is first class.:bounce::bounce:

Capt. George - 5-22-2007 at 02:33 PM

have ya ever met Barrett's brother "grin"? as in grin and...........:lol:

BTW their Mother loves me more then them!!!!

CaboRon - 3-6-2009 at 06:04 PM

Wanna buy a time share ? :lol:

mulegemichael - 3-6-2009 at 06:35 PM

ron and wendy...are they the folks that have the long term storage at the airport???...fab folks and a wonderful place to leave your rig when youre not down here....and ....what about hacienda suites?....a really nice hotel next to a guaranteed fabulous steak house...la domingo..

Leo - 3-6-2009 at 09:11 PM

Better be ready for a shock. 20 years?
comments about the accomodation, they are all true. Next question is you budget. Iguana or Cocos are in a different range.

Bajahowodd - 3-6-2009 at 10:07 PM

Do Mexicans own any hotels?

Don Alley - 3-7-2009 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Do Mexicans own any hotels?

Yes. Two we have stayed at are Plaza Loreto and Posada San Martin. We liked both. San Martin is, like several of the local Mexican owned hotels, much more "basic."

The Hacienda Suites may be Mexican owned. I haven't stayed there but I've been to meetings there and it seems very nice. There is also a relatively new hotel near the tackle shop on Calle Juarez that looks good.

There are several others, Salvatierra, Palmas Altas... low prices, but low in amenities.

shari - 3-7-2009 at 09:50 AM

We stayed a couple times at a 2 story Mexican hotel with an ocean view at the edge of a big arroyo a few blocks from downtown. This hotel was like $30 and very very clean...kinda like a Motel 6 room...nice...but it was a bit noisy with traffic...what else is new.

Paula - 3-7-2009 at 10:07 AM

Shari, I think that hotel is Vista del Mar, at the end of Calle Madero, by the arroyo. Looks like a nice place, and has beautiful views of the sea and the mountains.

The new hotel on Juarez is Hotel Angra. It looks very nice, and has a coffee shop and boutique.

[Edited on 3-7-2009 by Paula]

Bajahowodd - 3-7-2009 at 12:29 PM

I was actually kidding with my post. And yes, Hacienda Suites is Mexican owned, not very "Mexican" motif- more like any decent U.S. motel, and a little pricey, though excellent accomodations.

[Edited on 3-7-2009 by Bajahowodd]

bill erhardt - 3-7-2009 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
ron and wendy...are they the folks that have the long term storage at the airport???...fab folks and a wonderful place to leave your rig when youre not down here....and ....what about hacienda suites?....a really nice hotel next to a guaranteed fabulous steak house...la domingo..

The same Ron and Wendy from Villas de Loreto