BajaNomad

Availability of baked- or grill-fish/shrimp tacos

RICHARDH - 1-6-2007 at 05:09 PM

I was just reading a travel guide that mentioned breaded-and-deep-fried-fish tacos. It occurred to me that perhaps it is usual for the fish or shrimp in Baja tacos to be breaded and deep fried.

So, is it generally possible to get tacos with grilled or baked fish or shrimp (rather than breaded and deep fried)? Is that the usual fare at most taco stands in Baja?

comitan - 1-6-2007 at 05:15 PM

No.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JESSE - 1-6-2007 at 05:28 PM

A guy ordered a Cesar salad without dressing the other day:rolleyes:

bajalou - 1-6-2007 at 05:32 PM

Jesse might fix one for you but don't think any stand will. No grill and no oven.

comitan - 1-6-2007 at 05:39 PM

If you are looking for low fat fish taco's in La Paz right across the street from Jessie's place there is a place that has low fat fish taco's but better get there before 12-12:30 or they will be out.

Jesse------

Barry A. - 1-6-2007 at 05:56 PM

A true story------

We went out to dinner with a friend the other day------he ordered a "Ceasar Salad" (by name) with 1000 Island dressing---------What is the world coming too????? :o

RICHARDH - 1-6-2007 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
No.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comitan, I'm a bit confused here as to what "no" means.

So, does "no" mean "Tacos with grilled or baked fish or shrimp _are_ generally available at Baja taco stands?" Or does that mean the usual fare at most Baja taco stands is breaded and deep fried?

comitan - 1-6-2007 at 06:49 PM

Almost all have deep fried and battered fish & shrimp taco's. One exception that I know is posted above.

David K - 1-6-2007 at 06:52 PM

Right... fish are dipped in batter and grill or deep fried... never had 'breaded' fish in tacos (in Mexico). I did hear of them in New Jersey from someone once!!??

jerry - 1-6-2007 at 07:18 PM

hea richard you must be just about on your way?? have a safe trip dont worry br happy hope to see ya in loreto ill show you the best fish taco stand in all of baja
have a good one jerry

Don Alley - 1-6-2007 at 07:40 PM

Gonzalez Bros. tacos in La Paz, the restaurant up the stairs downtown, offers a choice of battered and fried or grilled tacos. The grilled tacos cost more, 20 pesos. Shrimp, fish.

In Loreto I haven't seen grilled fish or shrimp tacos, just fried.

jerry - 1-6-2007 at 08:45 PM

yup don but del rays will make you forget all about the frying

RICHARDH - 1-7-2007 at 02:39 AM

By "breaded" I meant to include "battered". Nutritionally, they are about the same although I guess the texture is different.

comitan, thanks for the clarification. bajalou too.

So now I'm wondering if trans fat (or even lard) is typically used for the cooking "oil". Albertson's uses crisco (trans fats) for its deep fried chicken. New York City, I think, has outlawed the use of trans fats for cooking in restaruants. And I've seen other articles in this vein -- something about trans fats at MacDonnald's or Wendy's or something like that.

Trans fats and saturated fats (e.g., lard) are considered by the medical profession to be hazardous to cardiovascular health.

Hook - 1-7-2007 at 08:15 AM

Richard, good luck finding nothing but healthy food on your travels in Mexico. If you're that serious about it, your best bet is buying all your own ingredients and making your meals. That's a very inexpensive and usually very available option in most parts of Mexico.

Most all cooking oil at the stands in Mexico is vegetable based oil. Too expensive to actually boil stuff in lard.

comitan - 1-7-2007 at 08:19 AM

Richard

If you are watching your Saturated fats etc as I am, I go to the taco stands that have the carne asada BQ'd less fat than the deep fried fish, also go to a carnitas stand for tacos and ask sin grasa, these are your best bets IMHO.

RICHARDH - 1-7-2007 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
..., your best bet is buying all your own ingredients and making your meals. That's a very inexpensive and usually very available option in most parts of Mexico.

That's a very good use I have in mind for my utility trailer, especially for remote camping. I'm planning to carry lots of canned beans -- and a few other canned vegitables for variety. Fixing meals ought to be a pretty simple affair and allow more time for exploring wilderness. Taste is pretty good too.

mtgoat666 - 1-7-2007 at 09:22 AM

If I can't get grilled, then I usually peel/pick the batter/deep-fry-skin off of my fish before I eat it. Removes most of the added artery-clogging early-death-inducing golden goodness.

bajajudy - 1-7-2007 at 03:50 PM

Richard...here is the deal....fish tacos in Baja are fried. You can find them in restaurants grilled but not the side of the road taco stands that have THE best tacos. If you put lotsa fresh salsa on them, I figure that they have got to be healthy.

If you go for carnitas as Comitan suggested, ask for lomo(tenderloin) which tends to be leaner.

jerry, have you ever tried the tacos de cabeza at del Rey...yummy and they are not fried;);D

jerry - 1-7-2007 at 05:59 PM

judy is that the head meat taco i know people really like them and a good mexicano friend of mine used to say (may he rest in peace) try to get the one with the eyeball its the best
turned me off but i know he has the best fish taco

i got a lot of gutts but i dont want to see them lol

djh - 1-7-2007 at 06:11 PM

Hey RICHARDH,

I don't care for deep fried either.... even del Rays... (not to mention the wait most often ~ when he bothers to open...). Just too much oil / grease for me in deep fried fish or shrimps...

I've a few favorite spots where they have a fire grill / BBQ, and they've done skewered shripms and veggies (onions, pepers, tomatoes) for me, and then I put them in their warm tortillas with fresh salsa, and voila ! !

Might work for you....

NOW I'm hungry ! !

djh

RICHARDH - 1-7-2007 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djh
... I've a few favorite spots where they have a fire grill / BBQ, and they've done skewered shripms and veggies (onions, pepers, tomatoes) for me, and then I put them in their warm tortillas with fresh salsa, and voila ! !
djh

Sounds great! Care to share your secret? Like, where are these spots located?

Baja Angel's First Fish Taco

David K - 1-7-2007 at 08:48 PM

Was here at Bahia de los Angeles... on her first trip with me.... New Years '05

Richard, nothing beats the freshness of fish and toppings served at this and other fish taco stands!

This stand is in front of the market 'Lizeth' which also has Internet, FAX, and long distance phones... just beyond is the Las Hamacas restaurant... great food in a sit down location.

[Edited on 1-8-2007 by David K]

DanO - 1-7-2007 at 11:49 PM

There is nothing in the world better than a battered, deep fried fish or shrimp taco, but I grant you, they are off the fat scale. The key is to have some perspective. Figure your fat intake by the week or month instead of each day. Splurge one day on the fried tacos, then make up for it with a super no fat menu the next few days. Being healthy is one thing, but if you can't make an exception here and there for truly phenomenal food, what's the point?

Yuuuuuuuuummmmmmm

djh - 1-8-2007 at 08:39 AM

To each their own, DanO.... I don't consider it depravation... since I don't like the taste of deep fried... but to each their own, for sure.

RICHARDH:

Well.... my favorite ~ Mita Gourmet on the zocolo / square in Loreto does shrimps the way I described ~ Juan Carlos (owner, chef, friend) calls them shrimp brochettes, and he serves them dinner style with an equally nice chicken breast ~ also open fire grilled, the shrimp and veggie brochette laid on a bed of rice, and steamed veggies too.... You can get creative with your tortillas... corn or flour... and he'll provide extras for you if you ask :-).

Holy Smoked Seafood, Batman.... I'm getting hungry ! !

djh

The Gull - 1-9-2007 at 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
There is nothing in the world better than a battered, deep fried fish or shrimp taco, but I grant you, they are off the fat scale. The key is to have some perspective. Figure your fat intake by the week or month instead of each day. Splurge one day on the fried tacos, then make up for it with a super no fat menu the next few days. Being healthy is one thing, but if you can't make an exception here and there for truly phenomenal food, what's the point?

Correct DanO. If we cannot eat things that are bad for us, why would we call it LIFE? If we have to monitor everything that goes into our mouths since birth, I would think we would call that existence - DEAD.

May I have the fish taco without the tortilla? Without the fat? Without the crema? Needless to say, the person ordering this meal would die in 4 days of the bacteria count.

Decisions...Decisions.

Summanus - 1-9-2007 at 02:27 PM

- A CHOICE (Custom).jpg - 46kB

comitan - 1-9-2007 at 02:36 PM

Summanus

Good SHOW!!!!!!!!!

DENNIS - 1-9-2007 at 03:00 PM

Wow ---
It's amazeing how a persons hair color can change the way we are percieved.

Cypress - 1-9-2007 at 03:06 PM

Nice shot!:tumble: Fire up the broiler!!!:tumble:

DEVEAU - 1-9-2007 at 03:12 PM

Now everything is clear!

One better

Dave - 1-9-2007 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
A guy ordered a Cesar salad without dressing the other day:rolleyes:

Wife asked, "Could you leave out the anchovies and garlic?"

I said, "For twenty dollars."

Husband said, "Just make it regular."

DENNIS - 1-9-2007 at 04:48 PM

It's like a VO and water without the VO.

Bajalover - 1-14-2007 at 06:14 PM

Summanus,
How much of a decision is there.........youse!!