BajaNomad

Tabor

Don Alley - 1-8-2007 at 12:04 PM

David K - 1-8-2007 at 12:11 PM

Please tell us more than 'Tabor'! Great photos... I suspect this is the canyon west of Puerto Escondido???

Don Alley - 1-8-2007 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Please tell us more than 'Tabor'! Great photos... I suspect this is the canyon west of Puerto Escondido???

Yes, west of Escondido, drive up past the power substation. I was up there yesterday with my son-in-law. Nice place to go when the wind is howling on the beaches. How far up you go depends on your climbing skills.

Von - 1-8-2007 at 12:22 PM

That is so awesome, its amazing ! love to go there sometime...... thanks for sharing.....:yes:

Thank you for the memory

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2007 at 01:30 PM

I believe the large pool in the back in the last photo is as far as we were able to get. That canyon is a great way to escape the heat on a hot day at Tripui.

DENNIS - 1-8-2007 at 01:36 PM

Why is it called Tabor? Does it have anything to do with Ed Tabor who had the Flying Sportsmens Lodge in Loreto?

David K - 1-8-2007 at 01:44 PM

That's what I was wondering...

Ed Tabor made Loreto a fisherman's destination!

The cover of Ray Cannon's 'Sea of Cortez' is sunrise in front of the Flying Sportsman Lodge.

My dad had great things to say about Tabor in the 60's... I think he flew in Ed's plane at least twice to Loreto... AeroMexico shut him down some years later...

DENNIS - 1-8-2007 at 01:51 PM

I've wondered what became of him. I've wondered what became of his daughter, Nancy, as well.
The lodge was great for everything. Not much around there in those days. I remember the meat market in town would close up whenever he got a report of road-kill. All that was about the same time that crock pots were put on the market in the states. One of the best things to happen for Mexico. If you cooked a shoe or a piece of Baja beef long enough, it was edible.

David K - 1-8-2007 at 01:55 PM

Yup, he also was the first to open Magdalena Bay up with his San Carlos Resort... Without the ability to fly his clients from Loreto over to Mag Bay, that killed his dreams of offering two types of fishing on the same trip.

DENNIS - 1-8-2007 at 01:58 PM

Progress can be a killer.

Phil C - 1-8-2007 at 04:12 PM

Looks like a nice walk.

capt. mike - 1-8-2007 at 06:00 PM

Didn't Ed die in a plane wreck some years back?

My buddy flew twins for Ed in the 60s. Aztecs mainly.

Those photos are so great! Water and Rock.

Summanus - 1-8-2007 at 06:34 PM

We had a great time in this pool on a hot day. This is a welcome treat every hot summer day...up the valley from Mulege to Rancho Trinadad..then to the caves.

We used to go there in the days when all that was required was to get the ranch gate key from charming Cuca, the original owner of Las Casitas in Mulege. Nowadays, of course, you must have a guide.

- A cool pool.jpg - 32kB

A short climb to history.

Summanus - 1-8-2007 at 06:40 PM

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by Summanus]

- Baja - cave paintings.jpg - 40kB

DENNIS - 1-8-2007 at 07:36 PM

Dont know Mike ....... I only met him once, at the lodge in the early seventies. Nice guy.

David K - 1-8-2007 at 11:22 PM

Believe Ed had (and flew) a DC-3 between the U.S. and Loreto before AeroMexico had the government pull his permit or whatever.

capt. mike - 1-9-2007 at 05:09 AM

don't know about a DC 3 but doubt it for his operation, took costly to run unless full seats each trip.

He ran mostly Beech 18s. When Johnny Tequila was the bartender/pilot.

David K - 1-9-2007 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
don't know about a DC 3 but doubt it for his operation, took costly to run unless full seats each trip.

Mike, Ed Tabor ran an airline on the east coast before his Baja days and he owned several DC-3s, a PBY, and even a B-25 which he sold to the makers of the film 'Catch 22' (filmed near Guaymas)... My dad told me about riding on Ed's DC-3, but the details above and the photo below are from Gene Kira's excellent book 'The Unforgettable Sea of Cortez' in the chapter 'Airline for Loreto', pg. 145. Gene's book is a must buy for Baja enthusiasts http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/ufsc/ufsc.htm

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by David K]

flying sportsmen-r.JPG - 48kB

DENNIS - 1-9-2007 at 02:18 PM

Tabor had at least one other daughter, Nancy, maybe from a previous marriage. She had to have born around early fifties????

David K - 1-9-2007 at 06:43 PM

I took a look in Kira's book and couldn't find any reference to her, sorry Dennis.

DENNIS - 1-9-2007 at 07:14 PM

Oh, dont be sorry. I met her at the same time I met her father at the lodge. I'd been there a couple of days before they flew in and stayed for a couple of weeks more. I spent a lot of time with Nancy and kept in touch with her when she returned to San Francisco. I was living in San Juan Capistrano at the time. Sorry I didn't pursue the relationship. She was a hell of a lady.

David K - 1-9-2007 at 08:05 PM

Do you know what happened to Ed...? Last I read he was in San Diego doing travel agent stuff.

DENNIS - 1-9-2007 at 08:11 PM

No idea. If he is working in SD, he would have to be the oldest worker in town. One of them anyway.
Capt Mike mentioned that he may have augered in at some time.
His picture, which you posted, showed him as a man of age in the sixties.
What do you think?

DENNIS - 1-9-2007 at 09:14 PM

David ---
A point on which you may be able to shed some light........
That same trip to Loreto, Flying Sportsmen Lodge, I had a conversation with the bartender, Tito. He mentioned that during the summer, due to the repressive heat, many businesses in the small town would close and he and some of the fishermen would go to La Paz and dive for pearls.
This was early seventies and I thought the pearl industry died with Steinbecks last breath. Is it still alive in a quiet way?

By the way........ during my stay there, mentioned above, I met everybody staying there. Drank with them, fished with them, talked with them extensivly. Gene Kira wasn't one of them. He wasn't there. I was.

David K - 1-9-2007 at 10:53 PM

Understood... Gene put together a great book compiled from many sources... not his personal knowledge. He just had an admiration for the colorful Ray Cannon... Also he is writing the Western Outdoor News article that Cannon started and Tom Miller and Fred Hoctor continued...

I also would guess that Ed has passed away...

No pearls (officially) in the gulf for a long time... like 60+ years.

capt. mike - 1-10-2007 at 04:59 AM

thx DK - i stand corrected - cool pic too! and the guy "meme" Chavez is currently flying C. Caravans for the Guerrero Negro Aero Servicios line, i talk to him air to air all the time, we met at laguna SI last year he was chartering to there so now we're 1st name buds. He knew Jimmy well and also flew years for Munoz.
great stuff!!

I printed the picture and am going to drop in at G. Negro and leave it for him at his office.

David K - 1-10-2007 at 12:16 PM

That's great Mike...

Gene's book is great if you like Baja recent history. It covers from 1947 to 1977...

DENNIS - 1-10-2007 at 12:48 PM

Gene's book is also hard to get. It's out of print and the used book search through Barnes And Noble shows one available - $687.50. Wow.

David K - 1-11-2007 at 10:43 AM

Gee, do I need to put bars and a lock on my bookcase?

Barry A. - 1-11-2007 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Gene's book is also hard to get. It's out of print and the used book search through Barnes And Noble shows one available - $687.50. Wow.

Wow, I have a copy of that book also----------I will have to rethink my security also. :?:

DENNIS - 1-11-2007 at 02:26 PM

David ----
There is, or was, a used book store downtown San Diego, on Broadway, near the college trolley stop. It used to have the largest selection of Mexico/Baja books imaginable. Signed, unsigned, you name it. Are you familiar with this place? Cant remember the name.

DENNIS - 1-11-2007 at 02:29 PM

By the way ---
That high-dollar price was for a signed copy.

David K - 1-11-2007 at 02:34 PM

Mine is autographed and dated by Gene...

unforget-r.JPG - 32kB

David K - 1-11-2007 at 02:35 PM

I have been into a bookstore in Hillcrest and in La Jolla and purchase Baja books there... Not one on Broadway...

Catch 22 Runway location

David K - 9-30-2010 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Mike, Ed Tabor ran an airline on the east coast before his Baja days and he owned several DC-3s, a PBY, and even a B-25 which he sold to the makers of the film 'Catch 22' (filmed near Guaymas)... My dad told me about riding on Ed's DC-3, but the details above and the photo below are from Gene Kira's excellent book 'The Unforgettable Sea of Cortez' in the chapter 'Airline for Loreto', pg. 145. Gene's book is a must buy for Baja enthusiasts http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/ufsc/ufsc.htm

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by David K]

castaway$ - 9-30-2010 at 12:08 PM

So where is this place geographically? I would love to hike in there \.

oladulce - 9-30-2010 at 12:08 PM

I love the way you captured the height and depth of the canyons Don Alley. Beautiful canyon wall colors and those Palo Blancos!

David K - 9-30-2010 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
So where is this place geographically? I would love to hike in there \.

First, go south of Loreto a few miles to the Puerto Escondido/ Tripui entrance paved road... but look west to the mountain.

Looking west...

Up close...

David K - 10-1-2010 at 05:22 PM

Did that help Castaway$ ?

durrelllrobert - 10-2-2010 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Oh, dont be sorry. I met her at the same time I met her father at the lodge. I'd been there a couple of days before they flew in and stayed for a couple of weeks more. I spent a lot of time with Nancy and kept in touch with her when she returned to San Francisco. I was living in San Juan Capistrano at the time. Sorry I didn't pursue the relationship. She was a hell of a lady.

could this be her?

Nancy María Grande Tabor appreciates the fact that she has been able to experience both Mexican and American cultures. After growing up in Loreto, Mexico, Tabor went on to earn her master's degree in education at Lesley College in Cambridge, Massachusetts. After working as a teacher for a number of year, Tabor began to pursue her interest in writing and illustration, and has gone on to produce the children's book Celebrations: Holidays of the United States of America and Mexico, as well as several bilingual volumes.

Read more: Nancy María Grande Tabor (1949–) Biography - Personal, Addresses, Career, Member, Writings, Sidelights http://biography.jrank.org/pages/1695/Tabor-Nancy-Mar-Grande...

[Edited on 10-2-2010 by durrelllrobert]

David K - 10-2-2010 at 04:15 PM

wow, good research!

BajaGringo - 10-2-2010 at 04:20 PM

Nancy Maria Grande Tabor

Phil S - 10-3-2010 at 01:51 PM

Tabor canyon (?) of Gordon & I made small excursions into from time to time while we camped on Rattlesnake Beach for years reminds me of the canyon south of Pt. Escondido about four miles that you would take a dirt road off the highway 1 heading west eventually following a gravel/small arroyo some miles back until you couldn't drive it any further. We'd park and then hike back into the canyon. First coming upon a small water pond. Then eventually it narrowed down, and you had to start climbing the south wall, because of a maybe ten foot (?) water fall with a pond, sometimes deep enough to jump feet first into. Sometimes over the years it would fill up with gravel, wasn't any good for jumping into them!!!!! Further on west in the canyon, we came to a HUGE tree with HUGE roots. Always wondered what species it was????? Thank you Don Alley for the great pic's. Understand that there is a fenced gate across the road to this canyon. Wonder if anyone has been up there in the past couple years.????