BajaNomad

February Trip - New Questions

surfdog - 1-17-2007 at 09:53 AM

We are getting down to the wire and have a few final questions.

1) Are there any hotels in Gonzaga? If so does anyone have a recomendation? If not is there a good campground?

It looks like the vehicle we will be travelling in is a little less capable than first planned. We will be in a Toyota Highlander 4x4. Not great ground clearance. So...

2) Just how bad is the road from LA Bay to Gonzaga?

3) How bad is the road from Gonzaga to San Felipe?

Can we make it?

4) Any Hotel suggestions in Rosarita?

Thanks in advance.

surfdog

baja829 - 1-17-2007 at 10:59 AM

There is one hotel in Gonzaga, and many good camping places. Depends on the wind. If it's nice camping is great, if it's not, try Alfonsina's. Great restaurant, really good food. Well stocked general store to the right of the air strip. They generally have gas, lots of frozen foods, etc.

The road from San Felipe to Puertecitos is excellent! The first part of the road from Puertecitos, through the Three Sisters is rough, sometimes slate, but very passable. (Mexican cars travel it regularly!) After you get through that, it's good hard sand all the way South pass Gonzaga, to Coco's and turn off to LAB. If you stay in center it's washboard, but we sail along fairly well on either side of it, just watch carefully for tracks and when they head towards center road, you head towards center road. Don't know about the road from there, but someone will comment on that who knows it well.

It should be a great trip - just hope it warms up by then. Nights extremely cold in any event, be prepared. Have a great time!

surfdog - 1-17-2007 at 11:27 AM

I have searched for a contact at Alfonsina's in Gonzaga and have come up empty. Does anyone have contact information to make a reservation?

baja829 - 1-17-2007 at 11:48 AM

I have it at home and will try and find it and send it to you, when we return this evening. We made reservations once, but they didn't have them when we got there, so we got someone else's rooms-- bikers who got delayed, but weren't able to get through on the phone -- so, reservations are iffy at best. Also, their food is excellent, but they generally serve it when they want to. They don't give you a bill for meals, either - you just keep track of everything and pay for it when you check out. All good fun!

David K - 1-17-2007 at 07:08 PM

Alfonsina's has a motel at Gonzaga Bay, the only one... Perhaps $50... View is awesome... Contacting them is not a sure deal... Reservations made through the Tijuana numbers doesn't always work... No reason you should worry in February, however! Photo is of the motel... from November.

Camping at Rancho Grande, just south of Alfonsina's or at Beluga, south of Rancho Grande (reported very nice)...

L.A Bay to Gonzaga (no direct road) is paved (via Hwy. 1) most of the distance and 36 good dirt miles from Chapala to Gonzaga. Visit Coco at Coco's corner!

Gonzaga to Puertecitos is VERY rough for 40 of the 50 miles... You CAN make it okay, don't worry... go slow!

Puertecitos to San Felipe is PAVED except maybe for a mile or two... shap dips so go slower than most paved roads... 55 miles.

ALFONSINA'S...

[Edited on 1-18-2007 by David K]

1106 229r.JPG - 34kB

David K - 1-17-2007 at 07:09 PM

Beach in front of Alfonsina's

1106 217xr.JPG - 48kB

David K - 1-17-2007 at 07:09 PM

Coco and his guest book...

1106 205r.JPG - 40kB

David K - 1-17-2007 at 07:11 PM

L.A. Bay in front of Guillermo's...

So what are you waiting for? Get going!!!

1106 128r.JPG - 33kB

surfdog - 1-17-2007 at 07:27 PM

Thanks again for all your help, especially David K, your the best!

We leave 2/15. Can't wait!!!!!

DianaT - 1-17-2007 at 07:34 PM

We may head down that way in February since the last time we went that way was 2003. Maybe they will grade the road from Gonzaga north soon. On the last trip, I drove that part and it was not bad---I am the chicken driver. :yes::yes:

Now, look at this innocent looking road with a picture of John that he does not like. :spingrin::spingrin:

This was taken near Coco's Corner. The road had been recently graded and yes, we were traveling a little too fast. Also, we still had the original tires. Well, a little sharp volcanic rock took a big bite out of the sidewall.

Fortunately, we were going from Highway 1 toward Gonzaga and had picked up a young man walking. As he said, the road grader can bring up those sharp little monsters. He was a lot younger than we are, and he helped with changing the tire.

So even if the road seems great from Gonzaga to Highway 1, take it easy. :tumble:

The tire was toast---bought a temporary spare in Gonzaga where we also bought gas. Oh, has the Pemex ever opened?

Have a great trip.
Diane

[Edited on 1-18-2007 by jdtrotter]

David K - 1-17-2007 at 09:29 PM

Yes, the Pemex opens and closes depending if there is gas in the tanks! It was open in late November... If closed, check across the 'street' at Rancho Grande... they have a gasoline stotage tank and pump to sell fuel...

DianaT - 1-17-2007 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes, the Pemex opens and closes depending if there is gas in the tanks! It was open in late November... If closed, check across the 'street' at Rancho Grande... they have a gasoline stotage tank and pump to sell fuel...

Nice people there---that is where we bought the spare and gas.

Surfdog, go for it---it is just a beautiful drive

Diane

MoFish - 1-17-2007 at 10:01 PM

Just did the road 2 weeks ago in a cabovercamper truck average speed 8 miles an hour. Cant wait to do it again

David K - 1-18-2007 at 12:08 AM

That's the right attitude!

Welcome to Baja Nomad MoFish!

larry - 1-18-2007 at 10:49 AM

Gonzaga: I camped at Beluga and had dinner at Alfonsinas last month. I think Beluga is much preferable to Rancho Grande for two reasons. Beluga is far away from any houses, and its toilets and showers are better maintained. Both campgrounds have been empty (except for me) during the last two Decembers when I was there.

I suggest you not stress about reservations at Alfonsinas. There have been many reports about people making reservations that are not acknowledged when they get there, but after some ceremonial back-and-forth, people end up getting a room. If none are available, you can always camp.

As I have posted before, the food at Alfonsina's alone is worth the trip.

baja829 - 1-18-2007 at 11:13 AM

Here's the numbers you can use to make reservations if you don't already have them! Hope this gets you there and you have a great time.

"The place to stay in Gonzaga Bay is Alfonsinas (hotel). Right on the beach, killer food, cold beer,,, it's sweet! One of my favorites in Baja.

Couple ways to contact 'em...
Call Joquin in Tijuana (his grandma is Alfonsina) 01152-664-64-81951 and make your reservation. He speaks perfect English.

Call to Rancho Grande (about 1/2 mile away from the hotel - has gas, store, sat. phone). You'll need to let them know the night you want to stay at Alfonsinas, then call them back after about 20 minutes so they can radio to the hotel about availability.
01151-555-15-14065

At Alfonsinas you'll meet Irma and Antonio who are basically your hosts and run the joint. Roman might also be there (Joquin's brother). They are all super great people."

If those numbers don't work, try the new system of placing a "1" after the Country Code - 521 ---

David K - 1-18-2007 at 12:42 PM

Irma is gone... back to the city...

Here Antonio introduces Baja Angel and I to his new wife, Marta...

[Edited on 1-18-2007 by David K]

1106 239r.JPG - 27kB

David K - 1-18-2007 at 12:44 PM

As said before, dinner at Alfonsina's is a hit... Garlic Shrimp:

1106 233r.JPG - 38kB

David K - 1-18-2007 at 12:47 PM

The water is so clear... see fish (and dogs) swim by!

Have a great day... in Gonzaga Bay!

1106 224r.JPG - 49kB

David K - 1-18-2007 at 02:49 PM

From Space...

Punta Bufeo, Punta Willard, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, Isla San Luis Gonzaga, Ensenada de San Francisquito (the correct name for the bigger half of Gonzaga Bay), Punta Final

Rancho Grande Camping

tripledigitken - 1-18-2007 at 02:52 PM

Surfdog,

Here is a picture of a campsite at Rancho Grande. It is about a mile down the beach (south) from Alphonsina's. They have outhouses within 100' of the campsites, but no running water. We were there last March.

Have a great time.

[Edited on 1-18-2007 by tripledigitken]

rancho grande.jpg - 41kB

Contact numbers...

BajaCactus - 1-18-2007 at 03:39 PM

Joaquin is the one who runs the motel and restaurant businesses at Alfonsina's... however at the moment he is in Hong Kong...

There is, however, a new Satellite phone to contact Alfonsina's directly, the number is 01-555-150-2825... not sure how to call from the States though.

Or, you could have your reservation faxed to Tijuana at (664) 626-2626... Roman is there and he may be able to reserve you a room.

Hope this info helps.

BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

Cypress - 1-18-2007 at 03:47 PM

Hong Kong?:?::o There goes the down home good 'ole boy image. :o

tripledigitken - 1-18-2007 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Hong Kong?:?::o There goes the down home good 'ole boy image. :o

Must be one of those "Baja Entreprenuers" living the high life!:spingrin: