BajaNomad

good ride.

tunaeater - 1-5-2004 at 08:20 PM

We drove down to San Felipe Thursday morning Jan,1. A quick stop in town for fish tacos and beer and we were off to my dad's house k43 on the road to puertecitos. The next morning after wipping all the wetness of my motorcycle. The dew was very bad everything outside was wet. We were ready to start our ride. We now had 4 riders going. We started our ride a little after 8:15 am.
We had to stop after only a few miles because of a carburetor leak on my dad's XR350. We fixed it and continued south. I had previously only been down as far as huerfanito island so I was excited to go to Gonzaga bay this time. The road seemed to be in better shape and the washboard didn't seem as bad as in October.
We gased up at rancho grande for 7 pesos a liter. I was suprised I only used 5.7 liters on my YZ 400. GPS calucaltions showed 80 miles. After gas and a beer we went to Alfonsinas for lunch. We had the order of shrimp tacos and a few beers to go along. I will tell you these tacos were very good. However we didn't know how much they were. Our bill for 4 was $42 and that was 3 beers, 4 orders of the shrimp tacos (3 per order) 1 order of fish tacos and a side of beans. It was well worth every cent the beautiful day on the beach, fresh shrimp, cold pacifico etc. It was just kind of a shocker to get that bill. It was like what! Oh well it was an awesome day.. The sea of cortez was so flat and clear it made me want to fish so bad. I wish I could of stayed for a few days.
The ride down and back was awesome. We saw other motorcycles, trucks towing trailers, a street bike ridding double. The road seemed busy and happy. Another cold beer in puertecitos and were were just about home free. The weather was a little cool. I was wearing 2 long sleeve shirts and a wind breaker under a chest protector. It was warm when we wern't moving but I needed it when we were ridding. Acording to the GPS round trip was 159 miles. We were back home about 2:45 pm. Time to relax and have a few more coldies.
We left SF Saturday mornig around 8:40am. A quick stop at la ventana for machacha burritos and were back in El Centro by 12:45. The line at the east port was long almost to the road but it was fast.
Then it was off to pick up my mother in law at the airport in T..J. We came in through Otay Mesa and picked her up prety easy. The line was long going back so we took the toll rode HWY 2 back to Mexicali. The total tolls were close to $12. It was a good road just on the downhill section it was a little exciting with all the sharp turns there were a lot and they were shapr. We made it from the airport to Mexicali in 2 hours. After an awesome dinner at Pampas it was back home for a good nights sleep. I needed it. Can't wait to get back down there. Next time it will be in March ridding motorcycles from El Arco to San Felipe with stops in San Francisquito, BOLA and Gonzaga bay...

P.S. Gene I forgot you were camping south of the palapas and not at the palapas. I went to look for you but didn't see the F250 and the Tundra. I did see what looked like a pathfinder down south of the palapas. Anyway thanks again for the gas offering.... Paul

Corky1 - 1-5-2004 at 11:42 PM

Paul, sounds like you had a great time. Please send another U2U as I deleted the last one you sent by mistake before I could read it. I am very computer challanged??? Corky:biggrin: :biggrin:

Anonymous - 1-6-2004 at 10:45 AM

Thanks for the trip report. Glad you had very few problems. Yep, your bill for the meal at Alfonsino's seemed too high. Did you question the waiter about the price? I guess it's best to check with the waiter about the prices before ordering. Oh well, as you said, "It was a great day at Gonzaga!"...."El Mochilero"

Alfonsina's Prices...

Herb - 1-6-2004 at 05:24 PM

Your bill sounds like it reflects the normal prices there. The menu price for the shrimp taco plates was either $6 to $7 when I was there in November. 4 of those, a fish taco plate another side and 3 beers gets you to $42 pretty quick. The prices are high for baja but what else are you gonna do there if you didn't bring your own food, or have a friend in the area? At least the shrimp are very fresh and tasty!

Great Trip Report,

Thanks!

HEY Paul, great report! why not post

capt. mike - 1-7-2004 at 08:52 AM

it too over at www.baja.net , there are a ton of off-road moto riders/enthusiasts there who would love to read it. Check out the off road trip report section.