BajaNomad

Opening a Mexican Bank Account

Pilar2006 - 1-19-2007 at 08:32 PM

I'm leasing property in Baja and setting up a trailer with generator, hauling in water and using a cell phone.. so I don't have utilities. I'm a dual US/Mexican Citizen .. how can I open a Bank Account? The Banks ask for a Utility Bill???
Thank You,
Pilar

Bruce R Leech - 1-19-2007 at 09:21 PM

don't you have a Mex. corp. and a business in Mexico? that should be enough.

djh - 1-19-2007 at 09:27 PM

If you are a Mexican citizen, isn't that enough for a bank acct.??

Maybe just proof of your Mex. citizenship... ??

I thought the utility bill was simply to prove residence for non-citizens seeking a bank acct. . . but I'm certainly not an expert...

Good luck.
djh

Bruce R Leech - 1-19-2007 at 10:39 PM

Mex citizen, also must prove that they live somewhere. but usually a lease is enough . she might try another bank.

cabobaja - 1-20-2007 at 08:53 AM

The easiest way, if you do not have utility/water bill is to go to your local Delagado/Delagada and he/she will issue you a "Carta De Residencia". The bank will accept this official letter, stamped and signed by the Delagado/Delagada.

gnukid - 1-20-2007 at 10:44 AM

In my experience in La Paz Banorte, the request for a cobrabante or current utility can be satisfied with anyone's current bill. That is, you just need someone to give you the receipt for their paid bill. It would be nice if you also a reference from someone who exists here and put their address and name and phone on the application. Strange I know but oddly the bill doesn't have to be yours, just a current bill from someone you know. Funny but really it makes sense that you have some roots here if you have someones bill. Don't sweat it. Beside those of us who do live here know, that bills rarely have the correct name or address of the homeowner nor do they have the correct office address. It is just a formality. You should make a bunch of copies of it to facilitate all of you legal requirements. Show them the real one and give them a copy. Be confident.

Bruce R Leech - 1-20-2007 at 11:02 AM

I cant imagine someone that is buying , selling subdividing land and forming partnerships in Mexico doesn't know how to open a bank account:o

Al G - 1-20-2007 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I cant imagine someone that is buying , selling subdividing land and forming partnerships in Mexico doesn't know how to open a bank account:o

Well...Bruce, I can understand this...There are many things to learn...each has it's time and some people have different priority. I can see me taking care of the most important and holding off opening a personal account until later....But then with me anything is possibly :lol:

bajabound2005 - 1-20-2007 at 02:56 PM

Take a look at Scotiabank. Friends just opened an acct there and it was easy. Also, you can access their website in English.

why

sylens - 1-20-2007 at 05:22 PM

do you want to open a mexican bank account? my husband did just to facilitate fm3 renewals, but if you are a citizen, what's the point?:o

i advise against it, frankly. it is a royal pain in the horse to conduct any banking here...:bounce:

jmho

Yeah, I'll bet it was easy

Dave - 1-20-2007 at 07:02 PM

Now you see it...Now you don't! ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Take a look at Scotiabank. Friends just opened an acct there and it was easy. Also, you can access their website in English.

Scotiabank did a first rate magical act in stealing over 1k of my money.

WARNING: Even though you might think it's part of the same transaction... ALWAYS make sure the clerk posts deposits before withdrawals.

Bruce R Leech - 1-20-2007 at 10:18 PM

I ALWAYS make the clerk posts deposits before I give them the withdrawals.

I know exactly what you mean Dave you need to watch them very closely at all of the banks here in Mexico.
:no:

awfulart - 1-21-2007 at 07:54 AM

I don't know how current this info is but it might be useful to some.

Art:light:

Home > News > Wal-Mart is one of five new banks authorized to operate in Mexico
Wal-Mart is one of five new banks authorized to operate in Mexico
Mexico – Mexico’s government said that it authorized the creation of five new banks, among them a subsidiary of the U.S. corporation Wal-Mart, which will become one of 13 new institutions being added to the country’s financial system.

The new banks authorized to operate are Banco Comercial Del Noreste, Banco Fácil, Bancoppel, Banco Wal-Mart de México, Adelante and Prudential Bank.

The approval of these institutions initiated the final stage of a long process of evaluation to allow the entry of new operators in the banking system, said Hacienda in a statement.

The government said that the creation and the operation of the new banks required the authorities to undergo a “detailed process” to guarantee the “financial and operational viability, as well as economic and moral solvency for shareholders”.

The government announced that in the next few weeks they will pass a final resolution for these banks, which will depend on the banks fulfilling the minimum capital requirement for their creation.

This year, the government authorized the creation of eight new banks, of which four have already begun operations; the remaining banks are in the process of initiating operations.

The authorized banks are Banco Autofin México, Barclays Bank México, Banco Compartamos, Banco Monex, Banco Ahorro Famsa, Banco Multiva, Banco Regional, UBS Bank México.

The government said that the entry of these new participants into the market will create greater competition to benefit financial services consumers. (EFE)

MATT Says:

It has become popular to criticize Wal-Mart for its expansion tactics and the unfortunate impact it has often had on local small businesses across the United States. And Wal-Mart is not without other faults. The company has had to answer for a terrible error it made in contracting with a janitorial agency which hired illegal immigrants to clean Wal-Mart’s stores at night, after hours. It is clear that the workers were paid low wages and did not have access to medical insurance, which made for cheap labor for the contractor and the retail behemoth. The company settled a lawsuit for $11 million.

But when we see a new Wal-Mart idea that could have a positive impact we’ll speak out about it, especially as it relates to our mission of bridging together Mexicans and Americans.

Wal-Mart has seen its business in Mexico grow rapidly. We’ve seen it become a major employer in different regions of Mexico. And its growth strategy involves not only the number of store locations and jobs, but also the services provided within each store.

Wal-Mart is apparently poised to receive a banking license in Mexico, which will allow it to provide banking services to millions of Mexicans. In addition, it will allow Wal-Mart to tap into the lucrative money-transfer or remittances market.

According to BusinessWeek magazine, Wal-Mart, which has 863 outlets in 130 Mexican cities, is receiving the support of “Mexican officials who want to boost competition in financial services and cut the sky-high fees and interest rates charged by Mexico’s big banks. They also want to spread banking services to the 80% of Mexicans who have never had a bank account.”

What we find remarkable is that while the company and its stockholders will surely profit from this business strategy, it might also almost single-handedly transform lives and the Mexican marketplace. For many of Mexico’s poorest, the astronomically high prices for money transfers and other unique banking services make it harder to make ends meet. The reality is that the current near-monopoly on money-transfers affects lives. And we sense that Wal-Mart will help fix this problem, much as Wal-Mart is doing with prescription drugs in the United States.

We’re cautiously optimistic about this development, though we also believe that Wal-Mart has a responsibility to do more to help Mexico’s people who are at the center of its business strategy in the country.

Register
About Us
Board of Directors
Articles
Discussions
Your Story
Member Quotes
Editorial Opinion
MATT People Finder
MATTMart
MATT Microloans
Contact Us

Press | About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | User Agreement | Articles Archive | Site Map
MATT Copyright 2006

Skeet/Loreto - 1-21-2007 at 08:53 AM

Sylens: I had a Peso Acct/ with the Bank in Constitution all during the years I lived in Loreto; Would buy 28 Day notes; Invested $5,000 at the Start, played the Devalue Game and made $40,000 in 2 years. Highest Interest was 145%.

Had and did Real Estate Business with a Dollar Account in La Paz; Very good service, Much better than what Wells Fargo is doing now, -- Selling your name to Insurance Companies who call and try to Trick you into signing on to Disability.

No! I think you are a "Way out of Line with your Statement". I have dealt with many Banks and I can assure that you will have much better , kind, and Honest dealings with Mexican Banks.

Skeet/Loreto

longlegsinlapaz - 1-21-2007 at 09:52 AM

Larry:
Maybe with your BIG BUCK job :lol::lol::lol:, you aren't familiar with the term "Overdraft"! :lol::lol::lol: But some of us on limited income can get to a point where we gotta refill the coffers before we can take out a few centavos!;D;D;D That turn on any :light: for ya?;D :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Capricious Mex Banking

MrBillM - 1-21-2007 at 10:57 AM

Like so many things Bureaucratic in Mexico, the Banking system leaves much to be desired in consistency.

I DO have a Bancomer Account for FM3 purposes and have never had a problem (or received a statement), although I'm mildly apprehensive each year when my FM3 broker goes to the bank to get a current statement. So Far (five years), So good. I made the decision to not use the account for any other purposes due to the relatively high service charges that can occur. I simply maintain whatever minimum balance required for the (2) FM3s.

I can think of few problems that would make me want to do banking through the Mex Banks rather than my U.S. banks. The profiteering due to usury interest rates that Skeet describes is gone so the profit versus risk factor doesn't seem appropriate.

The most important lesson to be taken from the Variety of experiences quoted by various Nomads, Positive and Negative, are no doubt ALL True and therein lies the problem. You might be lucky, you might not. You pay your money and you take your chances. Buena Suerte.

bancoduo - 1-21-2007 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilar2006
I'm leasing property in Baja and setting up a trailer with generator, hauling in water and using a cell phone.. so I don't have utilities. I'm a dual US/Mexican Citizen .. how can I open a Bank Account? The Banks ask for a Utility Bill???
Thank You,
Pilar
What happened to you? You were selling a eco- development in Colonet, your husband was a developer and now your trailer trash. You don't know how to open a Mex. bank account. What happened to your investers and your beautiful house you showed on your website. Something is wrong with this picture!:barf:

bajabound2005 - 1-21-2007 at 08:54 PM

I have to disagree with bancoduo; this IS Mexico and things don't always happen in the logical order! And I, for one, or my hubby and I , for TWO, do plan to open a Mexican bank acct for nothing more than convenience!

osoflojo - 1-22-2007 at 11:54 AM

To amplify what gnukid said earlier. I do not own my property, I rent it and have done so for 14 years. Each FM-3 renewal and when I also opened my bank account a copy of the electric bill was asked for. The utilities at my house are in my landlords father in laws name. No problem. Ever. But then again thats Cabo, not elsewhere.

Renting, Leasing

MrBillM - 1-22-2007 at 12:09 PM

Not having any utility bills since there are no utilities, I opened my account with a letter from the owner of the property stating that I had been living there for 19 years and was a person of good character (well, some people think so). Interestingly, my written (en espanol) and notarized Lease document and a current lease receipt were not considered good enough by Bancomer in San Felipe. Neither was my "original GoodGuy Lessee" letter from the Patron because the date on it was over 60 days old. As I said before, there is a certain improvisation to all things bureaucratic.

SiReNiTa - 1-22-2007 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

is it really that different from opening a bank account in the US????
I'm not sure of how it works but I know that it's very easy....the proof of residency may be good to have but there are different kinds of accounts...and all of them need different documents...I think:O:rolleyes:

gnukid - 1-22-2007 at 01:07 PM

When I first wanted to open an account to begin my life here, I had no home or bills or fm-3, so I wanted an account to get started, but it was seemingly impossible, everyone said no, you need this and that, so I sat confused in my car frustrated, banging on the steering wheel and swearing at how stupid mexico and I both are, suddenly two girls pulled up along side the car in a new cadillac and asked, "do you have a problem - do you need something?" I said, "si quiero ayudante?" The closest replied, "Un Amante? Let's go for coffee first." So I followed the cadillac and got out and there stood two tall beautiful girls both in high heels now towering over me in my flip flops. We went for coffe and finally got to the point about la cuenta- the bank account. And one said, "I will go with you to the bank tomorrow at 10am to be a reference that's what you need and the rest will follow after."

So the next day I went and waited in the lobby of the bank and sat while long lines prevailed and the desks were filled of people asking for just about everything. Finally the tall, beautiful girl walked in and walked right up to the desk filled with people and dragged me along and greeted everyone with a kiss and salutation which is the norm whether they are busy or not and she said please give my friend his account and what he doesn't have he will bring later, ok?" The manager replied, "no problem." I sat down and she left and soon thereafter I had my account and they said they would leave blank cards in the places where something was required but soon I would need to complete the application in progress. Finally the manager asked how did I meet miss Baja California?

SiReNiTa - 1-22-2007 at 01:46 PM

hehe great story!!!
the girls that compete in that kind of stuff are really nice...most of them love to help and think they can do something for their community!!!

Don Alley - 1-22-2007 at 04:09 PM

When we opened ours a few years ago at the Loreto Bancomer we needed passports, utility bill, FM3 and the names and telephone numbers of three local residents who spoke Spanish, would vouch for our character, and would be home whan we applied for the account.

The bill was in the name of the people we bought the property from and had no street address. No problem.

We didn't have the FM3; we were getting the bank account as an FM3 requirement. So the manager (Valerio Davis) said, OK, we can bend the rules and give you a peso account.

When he looked at the three references, he said, no problem, I don't have to call. This one's my friend and this one's my cousin.

No problem. And the whole process, filling out and signing forms, constant computer stuff, took less than an hour, not counting waiting our turn.

:biggrin:

bajabound2005 - 1-22-2007 at 06:22 PM

Maybe the utility bill shows that you pay the bills? Sort of a mini credit check which any US bank would do.