BajaNomad

Ensenada - Current Regs and Costs?

Gypsy Jan - 1-28-2007 at 02:36 PM

Son-in-law just bought a new plane and wants to fly from New Jersey to Ensenada to visit. (I don't know the engine or prop info, but I know it is not a jet.)

What is your advice on this? ( I.e., airport regs and fuel costs, etc.?)

Thanks in advance for all input, and feel free to roll your eyes all you want at the newbie, but still, please post.

ask him to cotact me and I can walk him thru it !

beercan - 1-28-2007 at 08:06 PM

PM me and I will answer .

David K - 1-28-2007 at 08:42 PM

It would be nice to post the info here, as well... For future Baja bound pilots

Yes, there is always BajaBushPilots.com but Doug did make this forum for private pilots, too!

kp_martin - 2-12-2007 at 09:17 AM

For more complete and accurate info refer to the bajabushpilots and/or AOPA sites.

Flying into and out of Mexico is not complex. Insurance coverage in Mexico must be documented and most purchase Mexican Issued Insurance although a US policy covering MX will be accepted-there are caveats to that. There are requirements about a non-owned planes etc. see above for details if applicable. You must have 12' numbers to cross the ADIZ.

A VFR flight plan must be filed in the US and a discreet Squawk Code received from FSS b4 crossing the border. They'll tell you when to change back to 1200. Advise whatever tower airspace you're passing through of your location; they'll respond with directives (mostly optional). Most pilots use 122.8, 122.75 or 123.45 for A-A chatter and/or help.

Airport procedures are common to the US, land and taxi as directed to Customs/Immigration. Safer to not bring food or restricted items. Be polite and cordial to the soldiers, they rarely speak english and are just doing their job; no tips.

In the office they will lead you through the steps of Flight Fees, customs and immigration; no big deal, pay your fees and No Mordida except perhaps the baggage and fuel guys.

Returning is a little more complex. At the airport you file an ICAO flight plan (they'll do it for you) and pay your fees. You also need to have a US Flight plan on file. Most of us file one for our return date and FSS will keep it on file until that date. If unsure of return date, file it for a later date or by phone from Mexico. Customs has to be notified of your arrival at least 1 hr in advance and you MUST arrive no earlier than stated and within 30 min. Very important! This is best accomplished with the pre-filed FP and/or calling the AOE Customs from MX prior to departing (phone #'s on BBP site or membership card). The flight plan on file satisfies the 1 hr notice but they sometimes get lost so best to call and get custom agents # to clarify and avoid fine. You have to land at the FIRST AOE available, for Ensenada-Brown Field, east of there, Calexico. After takeoff, call FSS on the radio and activate US FP and modify arrival time if necessary.

On landing at the AOE, stay in the plane until agent comes out to you. Some are more strict about this than others but its the rule. Depending on the length of the flight this can be tough but generally they understand that you might need to P and are usually prompt... Customs will check to see if you are on the bad guys list etc but it's all pretty much straight forward.

Enjoy!

kp