BajaNomad

How big a trailer can I tow with a Suburban?

joel - 2-4-2007 at 08:47 AM

I'm looking at bringing a trailer down to some lots in Abreojos. I already have a truck -- a 2001 Suburban Z71, which I'm told has the engine of a 1500.

Now I'm looking for the trailer and have been looking at 34 foot airstreams because of their size and low wind profile for the local conditions in Abreojos.

But can I pull such a trailer through the mountains of Baja with my vehicle? What's the risk?

Thanks,

Joel

Minnow - 2-4-2007 at 09:23 AM

Airstreams are very heavy, combine that with you limited towing capability of a suburban with a gas 350 and stock tranny and something has got to give. I am not saying it cannot be done, but how many years do you want to take off your life to do it? More than likely you can find someone here to tow it down for you though. Money always talks. If you would rather do it yourself, I would stick to something under 25 ft with that tow vehicle.

Minnow - 2-4-2007 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
I'm looking at bringing a trailer down to some lots in Abreojos. l

Pompusmus, I am guessing Cuesta del Infierno is not going to be a problem.:lol:

Like I said, how many years do you want to take off your life? No doubt it can be done. An el camino and a suburban, are not too far off in towing capacity. A 28 vs. a 35. now that is a big difference.

Those guys drive those big diesel trucks for a reason.:o

Minnow - 2-4-2007 at 11:14 AM

A fool and his trailer shouldn't be together in the first place.:lol:

Great advice Pompumanus. I think they need more signage before you reach the grade.

joel - 2-4-2007 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

I know the grade, but it's good to be reminded, particularly with a heavy load.

Any suggestions on how to go about locating a reputable, experienced hauler to find what it would cost to deliver a trailer to Abreojos?

vandenberg - 2-4-2007 at 11:40 AM

Ain't I mistaken,but if you get to the Santa Rosalia grade and are heading for Abreojos, haven't you missed your turn off by a good many miles ??:?::?::?:

We used Joe Kottke

Keri - 2-4-2007 at 11:58 AM

He was great, very professional and quick and perfect set up on our pad. 2 years ago he had done 30 + trips to Loreto that year taking things to Trupui. We would use him again for anything really knows his business. +1 (619-) 447 -8449,k:yes::yes::yes:

[Edited on 2-4-2007 by Keri]

Hook - 2-4-2007 at 08:30 PM

If the trailer is within your legal towing capacity and you have sound brakes on the tow-er and the tow-ee, I say go for it.

The largest amount of stress on the vehicle will be on the tranny. Change out your tranny fluid with a synthetic and you will minimize that dramatically.

You.re not gonna hurt the engine if you have fresh oil in it. A 350 will handle it. I'd go synthetic there, too.

Be sure the hitch is rated for the trailer weight. Unless it is a weight distributing hitch, you will probably be in the class IV category.

joel - 2-4-2007 at 09:34 PM

:no:

LOL!

It's only 50% more than the towing capacity! The 2001 1500 is 8,700 lbs, but that doesn't help too much.

So it seems clear that I need to get someone else to tow a trailer of that size down, but use the Suburban to move it into place on some sand dunes? Any chance of damaging the engine/transmission?

Von - 2-4-2007 at 10:02 PM

Hey just buy mine its a 2002 24ft airstreamer and save the hassle:yes:

Im practically giving it away for, Abreojos its an awesome deal....:yes:

capt. mike - 2-5-2007 at 06:32 AM

don't try it without a load equalizing anti sway bars hitch rig.
doing that grade of the devil in 2001 with my 34 ' coachmen, 9000 lbs, being drug by my F 250 Diesel was an e ticket man!!
i'll NEVER drive baja again except on a dream moto ride, glad i did it once tho, was a cool adventure, just not my thing for the future, that's all.

Baja Tow Vehicles, on the web, he charges about $3 a mile. Another source is Wild Bill seen variously on the baja webs, he's damn good too.