BajaNomad

New Years Photos: Montevideo, San Borja, Camp Gecko and More!

David K - 1-10-2004 at 08:40 AM

I was up late making the new web page. I still will be adding some more details and GPS directions. But, for now enjoy the photos taken over New Years 2004 weekend... http://community-2.webtv.net/VivaBaja/1203

Ken Bondy - 1-10-2004 at 09:04 AM

Enjoyed 'em all, David. Thanks,
++Ken++

David K - 1-10-2004 at 06:22 PM

Your welcome Ken! I did that site late last night and I will go over it some more in a couple days, plus add more details. I did get notified by our resident historian (academicanarchist) that somethings needed changing, so I will be technically correct! Naturally, I will confirm the changes with Neal Johns.. as we all know HE was there in 1785 to build the place! LOL (just kidding Neal).

Here is are our Thanksgiving in Gonzaga photos, with our El Camino Real hike and a link to Don Jorge's awesome follow up web site on the entire ECR to Santa Maria from the Gonzaga side of the mountain, and back down the water filled canyon (in one day)!: http://davidksbaja.com/1103

[Edited on 1-27-2004 by David K]

PabloS - 1-10-2004 at 06:38 PM

Thanks David, Montivideo is on my 'must see' list :bounce:
Paul

San Borja

academicanarchist - 1-10-2004 at 08:48 PM

Two corrections to San Borja pictures, or a correction and addition. Fermin Francisco de Lasuen, O.F.M., who later became the head of the California missions, served at San Francisco de Borja from 1768-1773. He managed the construction of the adobe ruins found today, and documented in David's photo. The new adobe church was completed in 1771. He later had a similar building complex built at San Diego. Construction on the stone church ended in 1801, but it was not completed. The bell tower/towers were never built. The spiral staircase would have lead into the belltower, if it had been completed. Here is a photo of the mission from 1975.

[Edited on 1-11-2004 by academicanarchist]

New years eve

Keri - 1-11-2004 at 08:50 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos. Great pic's,k:yes:

David K - 1-12-2004 at 08:44 AM

That's true, the bell tower at San Borja was never built... I guess almost all their labor force was gone. The rest of the stone church was 'completed' in 1801. A photo of the spiral stairway is at http://davidksbaja.com/401/page7.html Unfortunately, the new priest at Guerrero Negro took the keys to the mission away from Jose (because Jose isn't Catholic). Unless the new holder of the key is there, you can only see the outside of the mission... too bad!

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by David K]

surfer jim - 1-12-2004 at 10:00 AM

That's why I was told it was closed the day after X-mas when I drove up there....at least the ride there was enjoyable....the old photo of 1975 looks better than what I got to see...a bunch of salesman trying to push their goods...sort of like the border wait at T.J....

academicanarchist - 1-12-2004 at 10:22 AM

The day I went to San BOrja in 1975, there was nobody there.

It's obviously been a while.

Stephanie Jackter - 1-12-2004 at 10:34 PM

These days whatever can be exploited for financial gain, will be.

Salesmen at San Borja? Dios mio!

David K - 1-12-2004 at 11:36 PM

San Borja is a one family rancho. What were these salesmen selling? Oct. 10 is the San Borja fiesta that brings in visitors from all over, and perhaps vendors.

surfer jim - 1-13-2004 at 10:17 AM

Not sure what they had but was there only about 15 seconds with the engine still running and someone was at my window with something and I look over and some others were on the way....decided to retreat after finding out it was locked up with a big chain around the door.....went over to desangano ruins and more to my liking...empty....

bajataco - 1-13-2004 at 01:56 PM

Great photos David! Sounds like you got to be in the rain that came through BOLA on Dec. 31st. My friend Al was there and he told us about it. I always enjoy your trip galleries!

I added a gallery from New Year's too - you'll find it here somewhere in this section. I wasn't too far from you!

GeoRock - 1-28-2004 at 08:04 PM

Enjoyed the photos, nice write-ups. The Humizzle looks really huge in that one photo, next to your truck.

I really like the above photo of the mission, without any fencing around it as it now has.

And the Powers that be...

Mike Humfreville - 1-28-2004 at 10:15 PM

so quickly denied the value of the wonderful family that has lived at San Borja for the entire lives of their children and the value they have all provided to many of us.

I won't let this turn me further against organized and religion-for-profit but why would the church turn visitors away because the tour was conducted by a caring family of another sect?