BajaNomad

Camacho's RV site, San Lucas Cove

bajajazz - 2-15-2007 at 08:49 PM

Just spent a few days at Camacho's RV park on San Lucas Cove, about 15 K's south of Santa Rosalia. Not crowded, only 7 bucks a night, clean toilets and hot showers, easy boat access into the bay, good fishing lately despite the low tides. Nothing fancy but it's clean and well kept and the campers there are mostly hardcore fisher-folk and interesting to talk to. Nice, peaceful place with a small grocery store and laundromat close by on the highway at the entrance.

Just heard that management at El Papellon --the camping park on the Pacific side 12 miles south of San Quintin -- have doubled their overnight rates to ten bucks, with no improvement in the existing facilities. Some firepits at each site and a supply of dry wood would go a long way to making that site more hospitable and worth the money.

Diver - 2-16-2007 at 07:03 AM

Yes, El Pabellon is now $10, Manfred's in Cuidad Const is now $20, El Requeson is $6, La Ventana is $7 ......all up between $1 and $6 from last year.

Capt. George - 2-16-2007 at 04:53 PM

brings me dem pantaloons, wit da zipper in da back:moon:, I sez!!!:tumble:

losfrailes - 2-16-2007 at 05:24 PM

This thread started with how nice the RV park Camachos is.

How come the digression in thought. This is a nice, clean, reasonable park with really great access to the Sea of Cortez, and some of the finest fishing in the entire area.

You put in 7 miles away from Isla San Marcos where you can always find a concentration of yellowtail and in season, lots of bill fish.

What matter the prices at Pabellon, Manfreds, El Requeson and La Ventana. This man is simply explaining how great the RV Park Camacho is.

Thanks Bajajazz!

capt. mike - 2-17-2007 at 05:30 AM

i agree! i love Camachos . on my big adventure in 2001 dragging my 34' TT south, i discovered this place and stopped for 3 nites even tho i was only 40 miles or so from my ultimate destino!!, that being the Serenidad.

was sorry to hear the old man passed a couple of years ago, his hijos run it now??

hey Frailes - will that old hotel and strip by the cove ever be avail? does the military garrison there? what is the history of the place - anyone?
each time i fly over i ask myself.............why not running? what a location!!

losfrailes - 2-17-2007 at 07:32 AM

Manuel passed away several years ago. His wife Beatrice runs it now, with the help of an old gringo who does the check in/check out.

Like Bajajazz points out, its clean, clean banos and has a good deep launch ramp.

There is no hotel and strip near the cove, the military base has been enlarged and the only strip in the immediate vicinity is on that base. I would not land there!

Historically, the nearby village, San Lucas (or San Lucitas as sometimes called), is/was a fishing village. Its charm is in its solitude and the attitude of the people who live there. It is populated 99% by Mexicans.

coconaco - 2-17-2007 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
brings me dem pantaloons, wit da zipper in da back:moon:, I sez!!!:tumble:

Hey capt. when not in south beach turn the pants around.:spingrin: