BajaNomad

When kicking back in camp, what are your favorite games?

Packoderm - 2-24-2007 at 08:44 PM

I haven't seen any small-talk threads in awhile. To pass the time with friends and family, what games do you enjoy the most.

For card games, I like 5 Card Stud for a little action and King's Corners for fun. And Uno too.

For board games I like checkers.

The Mexican favorite seems to be dominoes. I learned to play that at a small ranch by Gecko.

Dominoes

John M - 2-24-2007 at 08:48 PM

Years ago we played dominoes for hours on end at the old "barefoot bar" of the El Cortez hotel in San Felipe. The glass top tables resounded with the sound of slapping dominoes, echoing off half-full margarita glasses.

John

DENNIS - 2-24-2007 at 08:48 PM

Pocket pool

thebajarunner - 2-24-2007 at 09:06 PM

Pull my finger...

woody with a view - 2-24-2007 at 09:13 PM

Quote:

Pull my finger...

POR QUE????:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 2-24-2007 at 09:21 PM

Stand up-wind when you ask that .......

Bob H - 2-24-2007 at 09:35 PM

Ring around the Rosie....

DENNIS - 2-24-2007 at 09:42 PM

Bob ----

Havn't heard that for about sixty years. Seems like yesterday.

DENNIS - 2-24-2007 at 09:44 PM

Hey Packo -----

Arn't you glad you asked?

Packoderm - 2-24-2007 at 10:41 PM

"Arn't you glad you asked?"

No mercy for the corny?

backgammon

Skipjack Joe - 2-24-2007 at 11:03 PM

I took Alex down for the first time to baja when he was 5 and brought along a game of backgammon to pass the time. When the time came at San Lucas Cove RV park I couldn't remember how the chips had to be placed to start the game. I went door to door knocking each camper's door trying to find someone who knew and nobody could figure it out either.

Finally someone pulled in who knew the answer and we started our first game. It's still what we play the most. Six years later I still don't remember how to start it and rely on my son to set things up.

tunaeater - 2-24-2007 at 11:38 PM

BUZZ

BajaBruno - 2-25-2007 at 01:53 AM

One of these days I'm going to make a bean bag toss game board. It doesn't seem to be as popular out west as it is in other parts of the country, but it is fun for all ages and when the kids start to get on your nerves, you can throw the bags at them so everybody gets a little exercise. I don’t have a sewing machine for the bean bags, though, or I would have made one a long time ago.

Phil S - 2-25-2007 at 05:09 AM

When we lived on the beach some years back, our cousin carried a "washer tossing" game. Box was sloped towards you, and has five (5) holes, and the washers were about 4" in diameter, and it was made out of wood. Maybe two feet square. Probably like bean bag, but the washers were more challenging, as if they hit another washer they would either push the washer off the top, or into the hole. Hole was a can attached from beneath with carpet on the top of the box. He carried that everywhere he'd go camping including his Elk hunting trips in easter Oregon. Never could find anyone to play "ollie ollie oxen free"!!!!!!!!!!!!!Skipjack Joe. Your not the only one that had/has trouble remembering the positioning of the 'chips'!!!! Guess a slip of paper kept in the box would help with a diagram.

[Edited on 2-25-2007 by Phil S]

Can toss???

bajaguy - 2-25-2007 at 08:17 AM

Bruno and Phil.......guess you could do the same type of thing with empty Tecate cans filled with sand.......actually two games in one........drink the beer, throw the can (this should appeal to Dennis)

Alan - 2-25-2007 at 08:24 AM

That washer toss game was a kick and the basis for some major tournaments involving the whole camp! I still have the boxes but they are really a pain to drag around. They take up a lot of room when packing the truck. While not as challenging, Crazy 8's or Hearts is a nice way to spend the evenings with the family. If there are c-cktails involved we have found a card game we call Scat that doesn't require a lot of attention. Draw and discard from a hand of 3 cards to get to 31 points (a Scat) with 3 cards of the same suit or a double Scat (3 Aces).

DENNIS - 2-25-2007 at 08:36 AM

BG ----

Yeah, it sure does. I've been playing a solo version of that game for years, especially while in Mexico where you can't litter with aluminum. After one bounce, it's in a recycler's bag.

backninedan - 2-25-2007 at 09:04 AM

Pin the tail on the gringo.

Crusoe - 2-25-2007 at 09:10 AM

Spin The Bottle!!!:P

David K - 2-25-2007 at 09:57 AM

Counting satellites after sundown!

Dk you brought back a great memory

Keri - 2-25-2007 at 11:15 AM

When we lived in Mulege we would have dinner and then clean up and play a couple games of Jenga. Then we would pour ourselves our favorite drink and Mike and I and our next door neighbor Morris would take our chairs our in front and count satillites. We had to see ten before we went to bed. Some nights were easy some nights we were up later than usual. We'd tell stories and have a little local gossip thrown in for good measure. I was a wonderful relaxing time. Made sleeping real easy. Life was good.k:yes::yes:

Bob H - 2-25-2007 at 11:27 AM

Really, a great game to play is Bocce Ball. You toss a lime to mark your spot and then use oranges or grapefruit as your bocci balls. Great fun on the beach.
One great thing about bocci ball is you always have a free hand to hold your beer.
:yes:
Bob H

[Edited on 2-26-2007 by Bob H]

Sallysouth - 2-25-2007 at 12:04 PM

I was just about to add Bocci Ball to the list, especiaslly fun when played in sand dunes! For "sit-down" games I love a good game of Dommies!:bounce:

Bob and Susan - 2-25-2007 at 12:31 PM

we just played a game called holey board...beach game

HOLEY BOARD RULES AND REGULATIONS

1.Official boards are to be placed nine (9) feet apart.

2.Challenger throws first at the beginning of the game.

3.Last scorer throws first on subsequent rounds. The team who makes the last washer of
the round, regardless if it was a point or a cover, that team will shoot first the next round.

4.You MUST throw from the top surface of the board for points to count. If you step off
the board as a result of the throwing motion, it is considered a fault and the washer will
not count for scoring or covering.

5.The scoring will be: nearest hole = 1, middle hole = 3, and farthest hole = 5.

6.The washers must fall completely through the hole in order to be counted. Hanging
washers do not count.

7.The game is over of one of the players/team reaches EXACTLY 21 at the end of a round.
If both teams reach 21 on the same round, the game starts over at ZERO (0). If you pass
21, you are busted and must continue your score at the amount that you go over 21 by.
Example (You have 19 and score a 5, you will count 20, 21, 1, 2, 3) and start your
scoring at 3. If you are busted twice, you lose.

8.Washers count only if they are not covered by an opponent. i.e., Red has three washers in
the 3 hole, and white has two washers in the 3 hole. Red would score 3 points. White 0
points.

9.If you reach 21 and have washers remaining, you must throw them, and they MUST LAND AND STAY ON TOP OF THE BOARD!
Failing to do this will negate the washers that caused you to reach 21.
It may not be counted for the win but it is still
counted as a cover against you opponent.

10.Washers that strike the ground first and land on top of the board or land in a hole are not counted and must be removed. Once a washer falls off the top surface of the board it is not in play. If a washer lands in a hole and bounces out of that same hole it is not
counted as a point.

OFFICIAL HOLEY BOARD DETAILS
1.Length = 4'
2.Width = 1'
3.Hole diameter = 4 ˝?
4.Spacing = 3 ˝? from top and between each hole
5.Support = 2? X 2? or 2? X 4? between each hole
6.Platform minimum ˝? plywood
7.Surface = short nap closed loop pile carpet
8.Washers 3 ˝? outside diameter

Cypress - 2-25-2007 at 12:48 PM

My campo crew is somewhat disfunctional.:O Down deep in the swamps the best game was "survivor". :O Getting down and dirty before the coffee is ready. Nothing like a knock-down-drag-out before sunrise.:bounce: Beats the heck out checkers.:biggrin:

I hope the drinks were good, and plentiful

thebajarunner - 2-25-2007 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
When we lived in Mulege we would have dinner and then clean up and play a couple games of Jenga. Then we would pour ourselves our favorite drink and Mike and I and our next door neighbor Morris would take our chairs our in front and count satillites. We had to see ten before we went to bed. Some nights were easy some nights we were up later than usual. We'd tell stories and have a little local gossip thrown in for good measure. I was a wonderful relaxing time. Made sleeping real easy. Life was good.k:yes::yes:

Most satelites are only visible for an hour or so after sunset. At the middle latitudes (think Baja) this is even more of a problem.

This is due to the sun reflecting off the outer skin, prior to the bird passing into the earth's shadow, much like a daily eclipse.

Thus, you probably had good success for the first hour, then the regularity of viewing was somewhat dependent on the intake and/or consumption of the libations.

Skipjack Joe - 2-25-2007 at 11:25 PM

So what are those faint lights crossing the night sky? We saw them from La Ventana at around 9PM. Too slow to be shooting stars (which we also see by the way). Could they be airline jets? They seem to be too high, but you do lose your sense of distance in the darkness.

Satellite spotting

oladulce - 2-26-2007 at 01:55 AM

Serious satellite spotters utilize lounge chairs so they can recline supine and avoid the crick-in-the neck that's so common amongst the Beachchair viewing participants.

Prime viewing time in the Baja Sur summer begins around 7:30, with the last stragglers of the night fading in and out til about 9pm.

The game begins whenever the first "satellite!" of the evening is exclaimed. A spotter may have to give the trajectory or sky landmarks to allow "Confirmation" of the siting by the other players. Clues such as " it's now approaching the lid of the Broken Box" or "coming up on the shiny, twinkly one" are helpful locators.

Not to toot my own horn, but I am very often the beach or camp champion satellite spotter. My specialty are the the Geostationary ones that riddle the night sky in the Baja desert. ;D

AmoPescar - 2-26-2007 at 02:54 AM

SPOTTING SATELLITES

This is one of my favorite things to do also. I've sat watching for them for hours in San Felipe. I have spotted as many as 25 in one evening. And, I've been able to spot them until at least 9 or 10 pm. As oladuce pointed out, if you're in a match to see who can find the most, it's sometimes very difficult to give directions so that your opponents can see and verify them.

Miguelamo :saint:

Mexitron - 2-26-2007 at 07:38 AM

Baja Golf--we brought golf clubs one year--teed off at the point and had to hit onto the beach for the first "hole"...after two more holes working our way down the beach we had to go back into the desert to go behind another point to reach the salt flat "green". The desert part was hard because of the ball hitting rocks and bouncing all over...we lost most of the balls going through the desert part. The couple of us that made it to the salt flat then played into some dunes for a couple holes then back through the desert the way we came in--lost the rest of the balls there and thus ended the first and last Baja Golf round!

Favorite Game???

Tomas Tierra - 2-26-2007 at 10:25 AM

Slingshots and marbles of course!

wsdunc - 2-26-2007 at 10:36 AM

The childrens board game SORRY, simple enough and still allows for some alliances and backstabbing.

burro bob - 2-26-2007 at 10:48 AM

Weight lifting. Twelve ounce weights (or less), many, many repetitions.
After lots of lifting it is then possible to play write your name in the sand and hike down the beach and try to remember the way back to camp.
burro bob

DanO - 2-26-2007 at 12:48 PM

Horseshoes.

Paulina - 2-26-2007 at 02:02 PM

There's a few things we do to keep ourselves occupied...

We take bets on where the moon will come up over the south end of the bay.

Bocci Ball

Kamikaze Scorpion

Who's shoes melt first

Let's go find the cow grave yard in the dark

Let's go find the Las Flores cemetary in the dark

Body painting when the bioluminescence is going off

Squid lamp scary underwater creature identification ( imagination really takes over on this game)

Before electricity..taking the panga out to watch the town generator go off.

And of course, satellite veiwing

P<*)))><

AmoPescar - 2-27-2007 at 01:44 AM

THINGS I LIKE TO DO WHILE KICKING BACK IN CAMP…or AT HOME

I wrote in an earlier posting that I enjoy a relaxing night of Satellite Spotting. And, while I enjoy an evening relaxing around a camp fire with a cold Pacifico, there’s also a couple of GAMES which I enjoy playing with friends and family.

Our family has been playing these 2 games for about 20 years and we play them EVERY time we’re together for any type of family get together. They’re both SIMPLE to learn and very FUN. Another GREAT thing about both these games is, that you can still visit and socialize while playing them. And, for those of you who want quality family time, both games can be played by the whole family - including young kids. Over the years, we’ve taught these games to many friends, and they’ve all enjoyed them..

DICE GAME - There’s no fancy name for this game, our family has always just called it DICE. It can be played by 2 or more players - we’ve played it with 10 or more players at one time. While fun and easy to play, it can still be very competitive.

TO PLAY - The game is played with 6 dice. You score by rolling the dice, and points are scored based on the value of your rolls. We play to 10,000 points.

POLISH POKER card game - The title of this game may not be politically correct, but it’s another fun and simple to learn game. It can be played by 2 or more players - with multiple decks, we’ve played with 10 or more. Kids as young as 4 or 5 enjoy playing it.

TO PLAY - Each player is dealt 4 cards, but picks up only 2 to start. You draw and discard, trying to get the lowest possible score - based on the values of the cards. The game ends when a player reaches 100 points. The winner is the player with the lowest score.

Miguelamo :D

Martyman - 2-27-2007 at 12:36 PM

We play a few games including frisbee golf but the cactus spines get stuck in the rim of the frisbee. Then they poke your finger on the next shot. Take turns picking the next hole.
We are not great at casting conventional fishing gear so we practice by having casting competitions for shots of reposado. winner and loser get shots.
We've also played throw the football in an upright trash can and this is harder then you think. Typically we just sit on our ass and drink.

Hook - 2-27-2007 at 12:56 PM

That Holey game is real fun and can be played by most all ages. Not a game that men can necessarily dominate, either, so it's very inclusive.

I have a buddy that bought a pre-made one at Quartzite a few years back. It wasnt cheap at 50 dollars, but it was nicely made.

pappy - 2-27-2007 at 01:51 PM

yahtzee, bocci ball, horseshoes, and at night, satellite sightings

Sallysouth - 2-27-2007 at 01:57 PM

Amo, In your dice game, do you need to roll a 1 or 5 to keep rolling? If so, it is another of my favs and we always called it "farkle".Thats what ya say when you do not roll a 1 or 5! Fast moving game makes:biggrin: it fun!

AmoPescar - 2-27-2007 at 02:09 PM

Hey Sally.
Yes, in our dice game, you must roll the 1 or 5. Very similar game, but our game is scored differently than Farkle. We had never heard of Farkle and had been playing ours for 15 years or so, before someone happened on Farkle in a game store.

Miguelamo

bajamigo - 2-27-2007 at 11:26 PM

Try Mexican Train. My wife and I played it with some friends the other night. It's fairly easy to learn but involves a pleasant combination of luck and strategy.

BajaJim - 2-28-2007 at 08:49 AM

The horizontal mammbo

DENNIS - 2-28-2007 at 08:51 AM

Oh yeah, I remember that one.

Ken Bondy - 2-28-2007 at 09:02 AM

Mostly we just sit around smoking cigars and watching the moon:

DENNIS - 2-28-2007 at 09:05 AM

Dante's inferno ------ WOW

Alan - 2-28-2007 at 09:23 AM

Oh Yeah! I haven't burned a VW engine case in years!

Paula - 2-28-2007 at 09:47 AM

Ken, your picture brings to mind a certain Concrete Blond song.

Can't seemto think of the name of it though....:?::lol:

Ken Bondy - 2-28-2007 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Ken, your picture brings to mind a certain Concrete Blond song.

Can't seemto think of the name of it though....:?::lol:

Paula - does it involve a moon??? :) ++Ken++

Paula - 2-28-2007 at 05:08 PM

It does, Ken. The song is Mexican Moon. It's a sad song, and if it had anything to do with Baja it would have to be Tijiana.