BajaNomad

palapas in Ojo de Liebre

shari - 2-26-2007 at 07:57 AM

These palapas were made at the end of last season by some of the ejido fellows and they are superb for camping although I don't like the location right on the road so everyone sees in but man they do the trick to stop the wind for us poor tent campers...they are nice shade places too and best of all they don't charge for them! I think they are a great addition to the lagoon.

BajaDanD - 2-26-2007 at 05:46 PM

Shari Are they across the road from the usual campsites along the road that runs along the campgrounds
DAND

shari - 2-27-2007 at 07:29 AM

they have permantly closed the beach campsites close to the centre as they are flooded out too much and cause problems there..they made a new higher road that doesn't flood (much) and the palapas are on that,very close to the interpretive centre. but some of the sites further out on the beach are still open. But check the tides as the roads can still flood at a high high.

BajaDanD - 2-27-2007 at 06:20 PM

Thanks
I have seen some those campsite on the beach side flood.
From the picture it seems to me that the palapas are facing the road and open towards to lagoon
Doesn't the wind come from that direction. The last few times we camped at Ojo it got super windy at night. Wind was off the water. Used my truck and a big tarp held down with rocks as a wind block. next morning it was calm as can be.
We are only staying one night there this time we're going to make it as easy as possible
Palapas will be the way to go.
DAND

shari - 2-28-2007 at 07:38 AM

The prevailing strong winds come from behind the palapas, often at night it switches to onshore breezes which are light and carry those wonderful whale spouts into your dreams. The palapas are the answer to those windy days and nights. Enjoy.