BajaNomad

mucho fish in bola

fishinrich - 1-30-2004 at 12:19 PM

Yellows chasing bait on the surface and eating the iron I throw at them makes for very fun fishing. There are lots of yellows in the bay right now ranging from 12 to 20lbs. Just chase down the diving birds and start catching fish. weather is great today and the sashimi will eat good tonite. fishin rich

Rich, when i grow up i want to be just like you

capt. mike - 2-1-2004 at 06:38 AM

you have all the frickin' fun!

Bob and Susan - 2-1-2004 at 07:53 AM

Rich,

sashimi - yuck

Aren't you afraid of worms?:no:

Is there a trick to prepare it?

I like mine WELL cooked:yes:

sus

Pescador - 2-1-2004 at 09:02 AM

Yuck, you never cook good yellowtail. These fish are too cottin pickin fast to ever let the worms catch them.
Our favorite is to take the tenderloin from the back and trim off all red and tendon. Put in the refrig and get really cold. Then put out three bowls with the following ingredients: Bowl #1 gets fresh squeezed key lime juice. Bowl #2 gets a paste of mustard made with Coleman's mustard, and Bowl#3 gets teriyaki sauce.
Now take a piece of thinly sliced yellowtail and put in the lime juice "to cook". While this is soaking for a moment, put some of the hot mustard on a Saldita (mexican soda cracker), take the fish from the lime, drop in the teriyaki sauce, and then place on the cracker and eat. Preferably washed down with cold Tecate, Pacifico, or Corona.
We have made this a lot of times at San Lucas and we always get the response from people that they aren't eating any of that raw fish, but when we get them to try it we find them hanging around our camper the next night subtly asking if we are going to prepare any more of that fish.
In fact by the end of the season, it looks like feeding time for a bunch of baby birds as they all are standing there with there mouth drooling and wide open:rolleyes:

worms

fishinrich - 2-2-2004 at 12:22 PM

bob and susan you will only find worms in bottom fish not in the tuna or jack family. like pescador said the worms can not catch them. fishin rich

Yellows/Sashimi

Baja Red - 2-2-2004 at 12:33 PM

Pescador..I am sitting here "drooling" while reading your recipe!! That sounds so good. One time while sitting at the swim up bar at the Serinidad a gringo fisherman came in with a plate stacked with yellowtail, cut paper thin, wasabe, and teriyaki sauce. He said that the fish had been caught about 30 minutes ago. It melted in my mouth like butter. It doesn't get much better than that!!! Baja Red

Bob and Susan - 2-2-2004 at 07:40 PM

We truly didn't know tuna and the Jack family couldn't get worms.

But we have seen many fish with worms.

FishinRich has educated us AGAIN!
:yes::yes: