BajaNomad

Downsizing images to upload them here (updated)

BajaNomad - 3-23-2007 at 03:50 PM

Note: as of March, 2015, the information below is now outdated. Please see the updated information posted in this thread from May 17, 2015 (or other newer announcements that may follow). Thank you.

Original post below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

To upload attachments - including photos - the file size must be under 50kb.

There are many ways one can go about this - from commercial software packages to figuring out the quirks of the free software.

An online suggestion to make it easy - as I just found both of these online resources after being asked this question again by a member...

1. Size the photo down if necessary (no more than about 600 pixels wide). Note the width you'll need, and then figure out what height you need to keep the aspect the way you want it:
http://www.thumbnailing.com

B. Then bring the file size down to under 50KB:
http://www.sitereportcard.com/imagereducer.php

Regards,
--
Doug Means

[Edited on 3-29-2007 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 5-17-2015 by BajaNomad]

DianaT - 3-23-2007 at 04:07 PM

Doug,

If the photo is stored on a site like photobucket, I know it should still be no wider than 600 pixels wide, but does it still need to be under 50KB?

If so, I will change the ones I have posted.

Thanks
Diane

Diane

BajaNomad - 3-23-2007 at 05:24 PM

If they are stored elsewhere, it's of little concern on this end. My concern is the storage space over the long-term on the BajaNomad equipment as more and more images are uploaded to the system.

Third-party storage is thusly not a factor in this concern (although I'm concerned about the long-term availability of those photos stored at photobucket, etc in appearing here. It's nice to see some of them years down the line, and most of those will be removed at some point by then - usually anyway).

--
Doug

David K - 3-23-2007 at 05:27 PM

Doug, how is the progress on restoring the posted photos lost when you upgraded the site?

Of primary interest is the Baja Trip Reports Forum photos... as most posts are describing photos...

Thanks

vgabndo - 3-23-2007 at 06:10 PM

I know there are a lot of ways to reduce the file sizes, and there may be a down side to the technique I use, but with so many people using PCs and Windows XP. I find this pretty simple.

1. Open MY PICTURES, assuming that is where you've stored the image.
2. Hover the cursor over the image until the properties come up, and note the size of the file.
3. Determine the approximate percentage of reduction required to get below 50 kb.
4. Right click on the image and choose EDIT
5. The image will come up in MS Paint
6. Select IMAGE
7. Select STRETCH/SKEW
8. Reduce the Vert and Horiz size to your estimated requirements
9. Select SAVE AS
10. Rename the file to prevent losing your original image
Browse to the reduced image from the Nomad page, and select the image.

Works for me. Maybe it will be what YOU are looking for.
Dos centavos...:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-24-2007 by vgabndo]

BornFisher - 3-23-2007 at 06:11 PM

Thanks Doug-- That second site is perfect. I`ve wondered why I have to jump thru hoops to do this, (what took about 2 seconds), on my iPhoto! I think what happens, is the programers get so geeked out on their pet programs, they make simple things complicated!! Now if I just had some pics to post!!!

bajalou - 3-23-2007 at 06:44 PM

I think the ideal program does not require resizing the photo to get to 49.9k, but changing the compression ratio. Used to have a program from jdmcox.com but it wouldn't work correctly on my latest computer and now he's not supporting it anymore. Too bad

Pic resizeing test

BornFisher - 3-23-2007 at 10:13 PM

Fishing Tourny last summer down in La Salina

[Edited on 3-24-2007 by BornFisher]

codgoodfor2ndplace.jpg - 33kB

BajaNomad - 3-24-2007 at 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Fishing Tourny last summer down in La Salina

Remember that item #1 was to resize the width and height - and then reduce the file size.

900 pixels wide here obviously pushes things out - and while it might appear okay on your computer monitor, it doesn't on the screens of many others.

:saint:

Mexitron - 3-24-2007 at 08:08 AM

There are lots of free programs to downsize photos but I haven't found one that tells you ahead of time how many KBs you will end up with--just the number of pixels...is there a relationship between pixels and bytes(I would think they would be equal but it doesn't calculate out)? So, one has to a bit of guesstimating and file saving before you get a file under 50KBs.

bajalou - 3-24-2007 at 08:27 AM

The second one Doug listed
gives many examples at different compression rates and lists sizees in bytes.

Bajalover - 3-24-2007 at 08:55 AM

Thanks for the info. Shall go back and check my shots for sizing. Shall post some later today.

Neal Johns - 3-24-2007 at 09:48 PM

Mexitron, here is a free fully funcional, non-time limited Adobe Album 3.0 program that will tell you what size you are going to get - before you resize it:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=29...

Directions for use:

Click
File
Get Photos...(browse to photo you want and click it)
File
Attach to email...
Individual Attachments
Customize
Set to 800x600
Quality - for a 2-4 meg file start with Quality (compression) slider set on 3, Click and it shows the size! Click Customize and it backs up for trying a different Quality setting
Click OK and it puts it in an email, - then save the attachment to My Photos

bajamigo - 3-26-2007 at 09:51 AM

The fastest and easiest way I've found to resize is Windows Powertoys. It lets you select the reduced size in advance and appears as a menu item on any file manager (I use Powerdesk 6.0). Pics can be resized in one or two easy clicks. Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppow...

[Edited on 3-26-2007 by bajamigo]

Neal Johns

Al G - 3-26-2007 at 10:48 AM

Works well, but the closest to 50kb I could get was 40kb.
will have to try some more settings....

Todos Santos only Brahma Bull....Owner Panama

[Edited on 3-26-2007 by Al G]

CIMG3416.jpg - 40kB

WoW

Al G - 3-26-2007 at 10:51 AM

Looks good enough for 40 kb

bajalou - 3-26-2007 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
The fastest and easiest way I've found to resize is Windows Powertoys. It lets you select the reduced size in advance and appears as a menu item on any file manager (I use Powerdesk 6.0). Pics can be resized in one or two easy clicks. Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppow...

[Edited on 3-26-2007 by bajamigo]

When you say it lets you select the reduced size - is that in pixels or in kb?

Mexitron - 3-26-2007 at 03:08 PM

Thanks Bajalou and Neal for the info.

Mexitron - 3-26-2007 at 03:13 PM

Bajalou--the SiteReportCard is easy to use!

Osprey - 3-26-2007 at 03:20 PM

I'm sticking with Dr. Neal, the paint doctor, long as I'm guessing I'd rather guess the old fashioned way.

bajalou - 3-26-2007 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Bajalou--the SiteReportCard is easy to use!

I looked at it Steve, and it looks great. I'm uploading most of my pictures to Fliker or Kokakgallery for use on other sites so this isn't as pressing for me as it once was.

I've made a couple things in ComunityWalk that you might be interested it - particularly Valle Chico.

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/50099

or if that doesn't work, just go to comunitywalk.com and searth for Valle Chico

Mexitron - 3-26-2007 at 06:36 PM

Checked it out Lou--y'all been busy exploring there...impressive! Didn't realize Agua Caliente went so far back--might be a good place to hike down from the top of the SPM.

bajalou - 3-26-2007 at 08:08 PM

At one time there was a trail down thru Agua Caliente Canyon, also thru Cajon Canyon. Way back when it was called Santa Rosa Cn. trail from Santa Rosa meadow. The one in Cajon canyon has been washed out - lastly by Nora in 97 and locals who had made the trip before now say can't any more. But maybe Agua Caliente. If you try it, I'll be waiting for you at the bottom.

photo test post

Yakfishing - 3-28-2007 at 04:00 PM

underwater whale.jpg - 9kB

photo test 2

Yakfishing - 3-28-2007 at 04:02 PM

CaboRon - 7-22-2007 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
If they are stored elsewhere, it's of little concern on this end. My concern is the storage space over the long-term on the BajaNomad equipment as more and more images are uploaded to the system.

Third-party storage is thusly not a factor in this concern (although I'm concerned about the long-term availability of those photos stored at photobucket, etc in appearing here. It's nice to see some of them years down the line, and most of those will be removed at some point by then - usually anyway).

--
Doug

Doug, I have been having success with Photobucket. My question. If I post it as an IMG code file, doesn't it actually move the file to the forum ? Do I still have to keep the file in PhotoBucket. Here is a 45kbs pic.

[img][/img]
Example above. Thanks CaboRon :?:

jodiego - 4-12-2008 at 10:57 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture under my name (avatar). The intructions in the edit profile section aren't very helpful. Does it need to be under 50kb? Maybe I'm confused about the URL. Any help woud be appreciated.

Gadget - 4-12-2008 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jodiego
I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture under my name (avatar). The intructions in the edit profile section aren't very helpful. Does it need to be under 50kb? Maybe I'm confused about the URL. Any help woud be appreciated.

You need to host your photo off site, try http://www.photobucket.com, downsize it real tiny, must be less than 130 pixels wide, then you can upload it to this site. There are several options to upload the url from photobucket to here. Use the "Direct link" upload.
Good luck, I had a headache after I got it all figured out.

jodiego - 4-13-2008 at 10:39 PM

Thanks. I sending out this reply to see if I got it right. Here we go. Wish me good luck.

jodiego - 4-13-2008 at 10:41 PM

Nuts. The photo shows up on my profile, but not on the forum board. What am I not doing right?

Gadget - 4-14-2008 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
You must have a min. jof 25 post for the aviator to show.
You have 22 so it will not work yet.

I talked U2U with Doug and he helped me with some info not provided in the avatar how to. The 130 pixels wide was not there as is the same with this info.

Could be included to prevent a newby from blowing a gasket trying to figure it out????

jodiego - 4-14-2008 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
You must have a min. jof 25 post for the aviator to show.
You have 22 so it will not work yet.

That explains it. That's a curious limitation (25 posts). 3 more to go and we'll see if it works. Thanks for your help.

jodiego - 4-14-2008 at 05:42 PM

OK, I'm at 24. Let's see if my avatar comes up.

jodiego - 4-14-2008 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jodiego
OK, I'm at 24. Let's see if my avatar comes up.

Yea!!! Wow, it actually comes up on all my previous posts. Sweet chili peppers, now I feel like a true nomad. Muchas gracias.

GeoRock - 5-7-2009 at 12:14 PM

I found Vgabndo's suggestion for downsizing pictures to post on this board quite helpful. Just to add a few details I figured out:

1--Open "Pictures," select the file that contains the photo you wish to downsize.

2--Once the file is open, left click on the photo and the size will display at the bottom of the screen.

3--Right click on photo; when popup appears, left click on EDIT

4--Wait for MS Paint to pop up. When it does, left click on "IMAGE" in the menu bar.

5--When the submenu from IMAGE appears, left click on "RESIZE/SKEW"

6--Enter the same percentage for horizontal and vertical, the first two boxes. Ignore the bottom two boxes.

I found that it is not an exact science to achieve the 49.9 kb max for pics on this website. Here are few examples that worked for me:

If beginning size was, then enter this %age for this KB:
1.2 MB.........13% for 48.3 kb
1.6 MB......... 11% for 49.7 kb
2.31 MB .......... 13% for 43.6 kb
1.08 MB .......... 14% for 47.7 kb
0.99 MB ............... 13% for 48 kb
As you can see, it was not consistent in the reduction. Don't ask me why.

7--Once you have entered the same number in the top two boxes for resizing, left click OK.

8--Left click on "FILE" in the top menu. Then left click on SAVE AS. The box that pops up will have the current file name listed. I just add a 2 at the end of it and left click on SAVE.

9--Close the paint window.

10--Go back to your already opened pictures file. Left click on the new saved "2" picture. the size will appear at the bottom of the screen. If it is under 50 kb, you are good to go, it will download on this site with no problems. If it is still over 49.9 kb, you have to repeat the process with a higher percentage reduction number. I suggest using the original photo for each attempt.

I found that this size photo emails very quickly also.

Good luck.

This was done with Windows Vista.

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I know there are a lot of ways to reduce the file sizes, and there may be a down side to the technique I use, but with so many people using PCs and Windows XP. I find this pretty simple.

1. Open MY PICTURES, assuming that is where you've stored the image.
2. Hover the cursor over the image until the properties come up, and note the size of the file.
3. Determine the approximate percentage of reduction required to get below 50 kb.
4. Right click on the image and choose EDIT
5. The image will come up in MS Paint
6. Select IMAGE
7. Select STRETCH/SKEW
8. Reduce the Vert and Horiz size to your estimated requirements
9. Select SAVE AS
10. Rename the file to prevent losing your original image
Browse to the reduced image from the Nomad page, and select the image.

Works for me. Maybe it will be what YOU are looking for.
Dos centavos...:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-24-2007 by vgabndo]

David K - 5-7-2009 at 09:40 PM

Use Photobucket.com, you can show many photos in one post, pick 15" screen or smaller for uploading so the photos appear on Nomad without stretching the forum off to the right, requiring sideways scrolling.

Paula - 5-7-2009 at 09:59 PM

But photobucket seems to eliminate photos after a short time?

And I just hate being deleted:lol:...

David K - 5-7-2009 at 10:18 PM

Never happened to me... I don't think!??

However, if you move a photo to a new file/ album, then all the places where the photo was posted before will go blank... and you are warned beforer moving a photo to a new album that will happen.

BajaNuts - 5-8-2009 at 10:29 AM

I DID IT!

check out my new avatar!

David K - 5-8-2009 at 01:58 PM

Looks Great!

Pic test

vseasport - 5-9-2009 at 12:16 PM

OK, here is a photo that 320X 240 and 32kb. Let's see if it worked?

IMG_0829_2.jpg - 28kB

Just learned something!

vseasport - 5-9-2009 at 12:26 PM

OK, I have been trying to preview my posts before posting them not realizing my attachment will not appear in the preview.

By the way, this photo has appeared on Nomads already but I did not receive proper credit. It was taken by my crew while fishing on the Jen Wren (www.thejenwren.com). It is of myself and Dave Helmers of Carlsbad, CA on his birthday. His wife gave him a lot of grief about making the visit to the "unsafe Baja". The caption on the original photo read
"The crew of the Jen Wren wants everyone to know every effort is being make to keep our guests from getting the swine flu."

redmesa - 5-26-2009 at 04:56 PM

Just testing

map of bahia asuncion (small).JPG - 30kB

BajaWarrior - 5-26-2009 at 05:26 PM

Well here is my issue.

I practically mastered resizing on my now deceased PC but now have switched to a Mac by order of my teenagers. I can't find any resizing program on here, I used Paint on the old PC.

Do I need to download something to do this?

David K - 5-26-2009 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Well here is my issue.

I practically mastered resizing on my now deceased PC but now have switched to a Mac by order of my teenagers. I can't find any resizing program on here, I used Paint on the old PC.

Do I need to download something to do this?

Chuck... here is my way to explain how to post a photo using any of three methods: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38854

You can call me if you need me to talk you through it...

Sorry we missed you this weekend! We got to your place and 'steekers' was sitting in the back yard next door with his friends and told me you had just left on a quad ride and maybe passed us coming there from BajaRob's.

BajaWarrior - 5-26-2009 at 09:06 PM

code.

That is all I get when I copy the IMG and paste it onto this message. So far, I really hate the Mac, it's slow, and doesn't do all the cool right click things a pc did.

grrrrrrrrr.

I have used photobucket before as I used it for some trucks I was selling here on Nomads, getting late...

BajaWarrior - 5-26-2009 at 09:08 PM

Code

grrrrr...

BajaNuts - 5-26-2009 at 10:16 PM

BajaWarrior, that's what you get for listening to TEENAGERS.............

they all know they know everything until they grow up and realize they don't know everything.............

I know, I was one once.....a couple years ago................

Stay with what you are comfortable working with on a computer. It's all about the OS-

TacoFeliz - 5-27-2009 at 09:49 AM

BajaWarrior -

This might help.

Open the photo with the Preview application. (comes with all Macs)

Go to the Tools menu, click Adjust Size.

Set the pixels/inch box to 96, the width to 6".

Go to to the File menu, click 'Save As' (so you don't muck up the original photo)

When you click the Save As item, it will give you a dialogue box that lets you tell it where to save the file and pick the quality of the final file WHICH ADJUSTS THE FILE SIZE at the same time. When you've got what you want, save it, then you can plug it into your Nomad note.

As far as missing the right click stuff, on the Mac just hold down the Control key when you click your mouse to get the same right click options.

Neal Johns - 5-27-2009 at 10:18 AM

Thanks for helping our host, TacoFeliz.
Now if you would only get your wife to quit picking on me....
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

TacoFeliz - 5-27-2009 at 10:27 AM

Who do you think suggested that she pick on you?

:o:biggrin::o:biggrin::o

BajaWarrior - 5-27-2009 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
BajaWarrior, that's what you get for listening to TEENAGERS.............

they all know they know everything until they grow up and realize they don't know everything.............

I know, I was one once.....a couple years ago................

Stay with what you are comfortable working with on a computer. It's all about the OS-

Oh they're not so bad...My wife's 13 year old son gets very good grades and never forgets trash night or picking up after the dogs... My 18 year old daughter is in UCSB and completed her Freshman year while still in High School and that my friend saved her Mother and myself 25% College tuition.

However, little do they know we are spending their inheritence at a rapid rate...:lol:

BajaWarrior - 5-27-2009 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TacoFeliz
BajaWarrior -

This might help.

Go to to the File menu, click 'Save As' (so you don't muck up the original photo)

When you click the Save As item, it will give you a dialogue box that lets you tell it where to save the file and pick the quality of the final file WHICH ADJUSTS THE FILE SIZE at the same time. When you've got what you want, save it, then you can plug it into your Nomad note.

As far as missing the right click stuff, on the Mac just hold down the Control key when you click your mouse to get the same right click options.

Thanks Jay, I'll try it this way tonight...

vseasport - 5-29-2009 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TacoFeliz
BajaWarrior -

This might help.

TacoFeliz

Thank you so much for this info. I have always had a Mac but had no idea Preview had the capability to reformat photos.

Let's see if this worked? Caught this broadbill on my birthday a couple of weeks ago.

Mark Gary Swordie 1.jpg - 46kB

David K - 5-29-2009 at 03:43 PM

NICE PHOTO vseasport!

David K - 11-30-2010 at 05:48 PM

Bump... to note Doug's request at the top of this thread...

Thanks for the info.

mazda - 12-26-2010 at 05:08 AM

Thanks for the info....:lol::lol:

test

elskel - 5-17-2015 at 09:36 AM

IMG_1603.jpg - 20kB

Pompano - 5-17-2015 at 10:45 AM

David K - 5-17-2015 at 10:51 AM

The post is outdated... Nomad has changed... 50 kbs is no longer the limit for attaching photos... Off site hosting (Photobucket, etc.) is still an easy way to share multiple photos at high quality, JUST SET THE UPLOAD SIZE TO 800 or 640 pixels for full or large picture display. The standard 1,024 pixels is bigger than the Nomad width, and will distort the page.

BajaNomad - 5-17-2015 at 11:06 AM

David is correct about this information being outdated.

As of this year, the new attachment file size limit is 250kb.

Attached image sizing limits are now:
- 1600 pixel max height or width.
- Anything over 800 pixels in height or width will be resized to 800 pixels, and the 800 pixel "thumbnail" will link to the originally uploaded image.

Hope this made sense.

There may still be some future adjustments of this - but nothing should be less than what is stated above.

Thx

Ateo - 5-17-2015 at 12:21 PM

Cool. So we DON'T need to resize on say, Photobucket? It'll resize here automatically?

Jon

BajaNomad - 5-17-2015 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Cool. So we DON'T need to resize on say, Photobucket? It'll resize here automatically?

Jon

Correct - but currently only for image *attachments* to the post (not those used from Photobucket) - as long as the image isn't over 250kb or 1600 pixels in height or width.

[Edited on 5-18-2015 by BajaNomad]

Ateo - 5-17-2015 at 06:58 PM

Gotcha. Ok. Thanks.

shari - 5-17-2015 at 08:31 PM

test 1...2...3...

IMG_5781.jpg - 176kB

[Edited on 6-3-2017 by BajaNomad]

BajaBlanca - 5-17-2015 at 08:55 PM

oh I bet this will make posting mucho mucho mas facil (easier!)

Skipjack Joe - 5-17-2015 at 11:06 PM

If you click directly on Shari's image you will see the 1600 in a separate window.

Very nice Doug. I don't think many of us knew this.

mufflerbearings - 10-12-2015 at 09:54 PM

test

mufflerbearings - 10-12-2015 at 09:57 PM

test 2

David K - 10-12-2015 at 11:15 PM

Both look great... first on is medium-large size on the screen, the second is full Nomad screen size, without blowing off the side! (ie. not over 800 pixels). GOOD JOB!

bajaric - 10-14-2015 at 01:23 PM

here is another way to reduce size, use Windows 7 snipping tool. Using the snipping tool, cut and save ever smaller pictures until the file size is less than 250mb. View up the canyon towards the divide at Baja Los Vascos. The details are fuzzy --

Capture losvascos.PNG - 229kB

BornFisher - 10-14-2015 at 01:40 PM

test-- 100 kb photo

IMG_0080.JPG - 100kB

bajaric - 10-14-2015 at 01:56 PM

Very good quality for 100mb.

[Edited on 10-15-2015 by bajaric]

bajaric - 5-13-2016 at 10:28 AM

Test. This image was resized using Microsoft Picture Manager. If you have Microsoft Office it is included in the software under tools. Make a copy of picture, select edit pictures, predefined width by height, web small, save. This made the image 164 kb 640 x 480 pixels.

moon pottery.jpg - 164kB

Testing

degoma - 2-26-2017 at 11:22 AM

Wow, this is a nice new feature. Let's see how it works.

Test-1.jpg - 170kB

OK, figured out the line spacing. Now for one more test image.

Test-2.jpg - 25kB

Works great! Hope it was OK to test here?

David K - 2-26-2017 at 12:52 PM

Looks good.

fishbuck - 2-26-2017 at 03:21 PM

Sea-Shepherd-new-boatL.jpg - 64kB

Fatboy - 6-2-2017 at 06:30 PM

So images attached now shows up as a link instead of the image? Or am I doing something wrong?

BornFisher - 6-3-2017 at 08:07 AM

I tried to post a pic the other day, less than 250 kb, but just saw the link. Gave up. What`s going on?

road trip Utah 2014 192.jpg - 114kB

LIKE THIS!!!!!

[Edited on 6-3-2017 by BornFisher]

Fatboy - 6-3-2017 at 09:02 AM

Yes, exactly BornFisher.

Not exactly as enjoyable to read if you have to click a link to see a image.

willardguy - 6-3-2017 at 09:35 AM

Is this a BN or a Photobucket glitch? I've about had it with photobucket, their free version is so packed with ads its impossible to navigate.....whats a good alternative? :?:

willardguy - 6-3-2017 at 09:43 AM

but photo's from my album still show up ?

Fatboy - 6-3-2017 at 09:55 AM

This is from BN. I do not host my pictures on a third party website.

And it used to work just fine since this is the only way I post pictures.

BajaNomad - 6-3-2017 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
So images attached now shows up as a link instead of the image? Or am I doing something wrong?

Was not aware of this - it's new. Probably when I had to put a new system online. There's another lingering issue as well.

Uncertain of when this can be addressed. Please do your best to allow some kind patience with this.

I appreciate your thoughtful understanding.

Regards,
Doug

Fatboy - 6-3-2017 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

Was not aware of this - it's new. Probably when I had to put a new system online. There's another lingering issue as well.

Uncertain of when this can be addressed. Please do your best to allow some kind patience with this.

Regards,
Doug

Thanks for the response and hopefully it is an easy fix that can be corrected soon.

BajaNomad - 6-21-2017 at 10:31 AM

Regards,
Doug

Thanks for the response and hopefully it is an easy fix that can be corrected soon.

Attached images issue is now resolved. Will work on other issues as time allows. Thank you.

twinningcomets - 10-10-2018 at 11:04 PM

Note: as of March, 2015, the information below is now outdated. Please see the updated information posted in this thread from May 17, 2015 (or other newer announcements that may follow). Thank you.

Original post below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

To upload attachments - including photos - the file size must be under 50kb.

There are many ways one can go about this - from commercial software packages to figuring out the quirks of the free software.

An online suggestion to make it easy - as I just found both of these online resources after being asked this question again by a member...

1. Size the photo down if necessary (no more than about 600 pixels wide). Note the width you'll need, and then figure out what height you need to keep the aspect the way you want it:
http://www.thumbnailing.com

B. Then bring the file size down to under 50KB:

Regards,
--
Doug Means

[Edited on 3-29-2007 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 5-17-2015 by BajaNomad]

Thanks for the link

ehall - 10-11-2018 at 04:18 AM

Does this picture size and quality look good to everyone? I used a photo resizer app on my droid.

20181009_180846-1008x756.jpg - 151kB

BajaBlanca - 10-11-2018 at 07:17 AM

Comes out nice on my computer!

ehall - 10-11-2018 at 07:35 AM

thank you BajaBlanca

David K - 10-11-2018 at 08:11 AM

While it is over the 800-pixel width max for Nomad at 1008 pixels, it fits the Nomad screen without stretching it off the sides. The file size reduction is what hurts the quality and your image is only 151 kb, so low-quality file size. It does work and we see a nice Jeep!

In TLBaja79's trip report last night, I gave him an easy way to post photos here, sized and not quality reduced. I do not know how it works on a smartphone, but on a PC it couldn't be easier! Here is that post from last night:

To post your photos, go to www.postimage.org, click the top drop-down menu to resize the image to 800x600 for full screen on Nomad or 640x480 for normal message board size images. Then load the photo and select the "Hotlink for forums" (third from bottom) clicking the attach button on the right of that link then paste it here on Nomad with your text post... Here is one I just loaded at 640x480:

[Edited on 10-11-2018 by David K]

JZ - 10-11-2018 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Does this picture size and quality look good to everyone? I used a photo resizer app on my droid.

If you use a hosting site you don't need to resize pics.

Just use IMG=x800 when you post it here.