BajaNomad

Diving in BOLA

cymeryss - 4-26-2007 at 05:09 PM

I will be heading to BOLA next weekend for a couple of days with my zodiac. This will be my 4th time there, staying at Anotnio's place. I am bringing my dive gear this time with a couple of buddies, and would like to get out and do some diving weather permitting.

Does anybody have a map of dive spots in BOLA, names of places, etc.? My second option is to ask in town, Ricardo, which I hope will be able to fill our tanks. I had one bad experience asking at a dive shop, since they wanted me to pay for a dive trip, so that is why I asking here. I have not met Ricardo so maybe he will be alright with telling me where we could dive. Thanks.

David K - 4-26-2007 at 08:29 PM

Baja California Diver's Guide by Michael and Lauren Farley c1984 has a chapter on Bahia de los Angeles (pg. 91). The islands and La Gringa are mentioned in detail.

DavidT - 4-26-2007 at 09:38 PM

You might stop and visit with Ruben Daggett. I don't know if he dives anymore, and yes he does have boats for hire. He also is willing to share his knowledge of his hometown.

Paulina - 4-26-2007 at 09:44 PM

Another option is to check with Roberto Ocana. He used to be a diver and now is a fishing guide. To find him head south of town past the cemetary. You'll see his large sign on the right, a monster two story "house" that looks more like a mini hotel on the left. Double back left turn just beyond that and his house is the first one on the left.

P<*)))><

Edit: Added photo of Roberto:

[Edited on 27-4-2007 by Paulina]

Ken Bondy - 4-27-2007 at 06:07 AM

And yet ANOTHER option is Joel Prieto joel_prieto@hotmail.com. He has excellent equipment (center-console panga, easy-entry ladder, etc.) and is very knowledgeable about the marine life and divesites. Plus a great guy with very good English. ++Ken++

cymeryss - 4-27-2007 at 09:12 AM

Thank you very much for the info, that is exactly what I have been looking for. I will try with Joel via e-mail and then once we get to town I will ask around for the individuals that you all have mentioned. Now I can't want to go out. We dove once from the beach behind La Gringa across from Smith Island but there was little life to see, so now I hope this trip will turn out much better. Will give a report once I am back. thanks.