BajaNomad

Best Taco Stands Thread

Pages:  1  

Gypsy Jan - 5-1-2007 at 06:12 PM

The Taco Stand Thread

Like Reggie, the alligator, with the weather warming up, family and friends have been surfacing at our home in Rosarito and we have been engaged in trips around the area.

And, with full props to Jesse’s excellent Baja Wine Thread, I would like to begin a Taco Stand Thread for the benefit of new Baja visitors and, as a reminder of good places forgotten to seasoned Baja hands.

My regular spots are in Baja Norte, the city of Rosarito and a few miles south, in Primo Tapia – Cantamar:

Starting at the north end of Rosarito, heading south on the main boulevard, Benito Juarez, Tacos Manuel (at least three locations on Benito Juarez Boulevard) is reliable, delicious and cheap. TM serves up tacos and quesadillas, fashioned from handmade flour and corn tortillas. The meat choices consist of adobada (grilled pork), carne asada (grilled beef), cabeza (beef cheeks from the head) and tripa (tripe). I am too chicken to try the exotic cuts; I like the carne asada and pork. They are open 24-7.

Tacos Yaqui:is a little bit farther south. TY is maybe the most-praised. It still deserves all the accolades. Two Perrones will fill you up for about five dollars. A Perron is made with a flour tortilla stuffed with melted white cheese, wood-grilled marinated steak, broth-cooked pinto beans and a fresh salsa. Fire-grilled jalapenos, sliced and dressed with fresh lime juice are always available on request.

Leaving Rosarito on the free road (Libre), heading towards Fox Studios, about a ¼ mile past the Pemex is JR’s Tacos, on the ocean side of the road. JR’s is clean, bright and busy. They serve great fish and shrimp tacos, quesarones (shrimp quesadillas), ceviche tostadas and more. No meat.

Farther south, in Cantamar/Primo Tapia is the taco stand next to the Pemex (where the old lighthouse is). Great fish tacos, shrimp tacos and jalapeno-stuffed-with crab tacos, carne asada tacos. Portions are small, but prices are also small and the flavor is big.

In the village of Primo Tapia, about a quarter-of-a –mile south of the Cantamar Pemex is Mariscos Alegria, on the land side (east) of the road, before the pedestrian bridge overcrossing. I brought home lunch from there today. Two fish tacos weighed pretty near one-and-a-half pounds. They serve fish, srhrimp, oyster, clam, black clam and also carne asada. The head cook at Tacos Yaqui in Rosarito goes there to have soup on his one day off.

woody with a view - 5-1-2007 at 06:30 PM

in rosarito we love the "carnitas michoacan?" it is the big orange painted place(s). there is one on the south end of town and one near the northern edge of town. we'll get a foto this weekend.

when further south we hit "la pasadita" in san quintin. at the first light in town proper. across the street is a nice big fruit market.

100_1803 (Small) (Small).jpg - 41kB

woody with a view - 5-1-2007 at 06:34 PM

in el rosario we ALWAYS hit up La Senora Elsa at her "La Mijita". next to the espinoza MARKET, not the restaurant! Simple food and Simple prices......and running water......:lol:

mar 2006  004 (Small) (Small).jpg - 44kB

burritomama - 5-1-2007 at 06:51 PM

Woody already got our fave: La Pasadita in San Quintin, across from a PEMEX and next to the park.

[Edited on 5-2-2007 by burritomama]

woody with a view - 5-1-2007 at 06:54 PM

"La Pasadita" is in a funky area where everything is built about 4 feet below the street level. the park is behind the stand and you can find Indias selling handbags and other crafts.....

Bajalero - 5-1-2007 at 07:02 PM

Woody , seems like everytime we go through El Rosario there are a couple of people eating at Mijitas. Good sign maybe?

Just curious as to what they serve?

woody with a view - 5-1-2007 at 07:09 PM

birria (beef, no chivo), tacos (fish, beef), desayunos, etc... if it's not on the menu just ask. Elsa is more than happy to whup up what you want.

Bajalero - 5-1-2007 at 07:18 PM

I'll have to stop and give it a try . That'll mean changing schedule a little as it's right between lunch at Tacos El Poblano in Maneadero and dinner at Matildas at Rcho Sta.Inez :smug:

Natalie Ann - 5-1-2007 at 07:32 PM

Fish tacos at Fenix... Ensenada.:spingrin::tumble::spingrin:

Hook - 5-1-2007 at 07:35 PM

I've already posted in other threads that La Pasadita is not as good as it once was, IMHO. But I have to thank them for turning me on to the batterless, deep-fried whole jalapenos that they then dump into soy sauce. It's a freebie with the tacos.

Another tip; on the north side of that same parque behind Pasadita, there is a place selling helados and nieves. Killer helado fresa to cool down the jalapenos.

I have nothing to offer right now, Judy, but i commend you on your thorough, analytical approach to the stands in Rosarito.

[Edited on 5-2-2007 by Hook]

[Edited on 5-5-2007 by Hook]

Hook - 5-5-2007 at 07:07 AM

C'mon guys and gals, just cause I didnt like Pasadita recently is no reason to stop this VERY NECESSARY THREAD.

Where's the Ensenada submissions? GN? SR? Loreto? Mulege?

Minnow - 5-5-2007 at 07:46 AM

In El Sauzal I like El Trailero. They have fish and beef, and both are equally as good.

In Mandeadero it has to be El Recreo. Huge tacos, superior meat, and the atmosphere is spectacular. :spingrin: That is if you like watching all the rigs heading south with happy campers on board.

bigjohn - 5-5-2007 at 08:03 AM

One of my favorites is Dos Hermanos in Ejido Chapultepec, approximately 20 minutes south of Ensenada. It is on the right (west) side of Highway 1 right at the turn off to the Estero Beach Resort. There is a great taqueria two doors over that they get their hot, fresh, thick, corn tortillas from! I could actually just eat the tortillas, yum! :yes:

Agree with you on those shops.

The Gull - 5-5-2007 at 08:53 AM

When Yaqui is closed (runs out of food for the day) then its Taqueria 2000. You order the quesadilla w/carne to get a Perrone like Yaqui's. It is located on Ensenada in Playas de Rosarito. Calle Ensenada is accessible from the toll road by exiting at the offramp with the Jersey (cement) cows. Much easier to find than Yaqui's, unless you are a local.

2000.jpg - 45kB

Jan, try the Tortas al Pastor at the taco place at K38

The Gull - 5-5-2007 at 08:58 AM

Here is a pic of Flor's place in Primo Tapia.

La Alegria.jpg - 43kB

The Gull - 5-5-2007 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
in rosarito we love the "carnitas michoacan?" it is the big orange painted place(s). there is one on the south end of town and one near the northern edge of town. we'll get a foto this weekend.

Got one!!!

[Edited on 5-5-2007 by The Gull]

Michoacan1.jpg - 31kB

DanO - 5-5-2007 at 09:33 AM

Ditto on Tacos Fenix, El Trailero, Dos Hermanos and El Poblano.

DERN - 5-5-2007 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
In El Sauzal I like El Trailero. They have fish and beef, and both are equally as good.

In Mandeadero it has to be El Recreo. Huge tacos, superior meat, and the atmosphere is spectacular. :spingrin: That is if you like watching all the rigs heading south with happy campers on board.

I agree with you on both points. We also like birria at the stand next to Ma. Lousia's in Maneadero.

carlo - 5-6-2007 at 12:28 PM

Mariscos La Alegria in Primo Tapia has the best shimp tacos. They either come fried or buttered on corn or flour torillas. The flour tacos are basically burritos. They also have ceviche, fish and other sea food plates. Very tasty.

elgatoloco - 5-6-2007 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DERN
Quote:

I agree with you on both points. We also like birria at the stand next to Ma. Lousia's in Maneadero.

Dern,Dern,Dern

Welcome aboard amigo! Can't wait until the BIG carne asada roundup on cinco de julio at EL RECREO!!

:cool:

elgatoloco - 5-6-2007 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by carlo
Mariscos La Alegria in Primo Tapia has the best shimp tacos. They either come fried or buttered on corn or flour torillas. The flour tacos are basically burritos. They also have ceviche, fish and other sea food plates. Very tasty.

Our Dentista, Sra. Avila is across the street. Friday after our appointment we walked over and had a shrimp c-cktail and chased it with some fish and shrimp tacos making sure to save room for some carne asada tacos back across the street at El Poblano.

elgatoloco - 5-6-2007 at 04:18 PM

Quote:

Saturday found us doing some shopping in Ensenada which means a stop at El Trailero northbound for some adobada tacos and a carne asada torta. Saved some room for taocs de pescado y camaron at Tacos El Jalisience at the bottom of the pedestrian bridge north of El. Had a few keys made right next door while we ate. :coolup:

elgatoloco - 5-6-2007 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The Taco Stand Thread

Farther south, in Cantamar/Primo Tapia is the taco stand next to the Pemex (where the old lighthouse is). Great fish tacos, shrimp tacos and jalapeno-stuffed-with crab tacos, carne asada tacos. Portions are small, but prices are also small and the flavor is big.

Tacos Cantamar!

The jaiba relleno tacos are unique and tasty! :dudette:

woody with a view - 5-7-2007 at 07:39 PM

lo sientos a todos!!!!!

we hit the favorite taco stand yesterday and when i told Bia about this thread she said, "Bruto!, Caminos de Michoacan is next to the "L" stop at Sheridan Ave. in CHICAGO!!!!"

we didn't get the foto but here is the menu for THE best carnitas we've found......i told them i ONLY live 20 minutes from the border, .... Servicio A Domilcilio.:lol:

VERY good, fresh meats PACKED into those tortillas. we had 2 carnitas and 1 lengua de res each......SABROSA!!!!

[Edited on 5-8-2007 by woody in ob]

scan (Small) (Small).jpg - 48kB

Minnow - 5-7-2007 at 08:32 PM

Pompano, you ever try the Taco Fairy in Sta. Rosalia? He blends everything fresh right before your eyes, and the cream sauce is to die for.:moon:

Mexitron - 5-7-2007 at 10:23 PM

We usually hit Jr's Tacos in San Vicente--more a large cart than a stand...across the street from the gas station at the signal in town. Taco de Baja has a pic of it if he reads this thread. Great Tacos de Carne Asada, Adobada, y Tripa, plus fantastic condiments.

Taco de Baja - 5-8-2007 at 07:38 AM

Tacos de Jr. Mmmmm :tumble:

Mexitron - 5-8-2007 at 10:28 AM

Thanks Taco--yup, that's the one!

woody with a view - 5-9-2007 at 06:08 PM

if you stand with your back to the "carnitas la huacana", the one south of the new pemex at the southern end of rosarito you will see this across the street.

security guard/bouncer may, or may not be sleeping!:lol::P:tumble::spingrin::?::barf::barf::barf:

[Edited on 5-10-2007 by woody in ob]

virgins (Small).jpg - 39kB

The Gull - 5-9-2007 at 07:28 PM

Woody,

What happens in there? Are there tacos involved?

Minnow - 5-9-2007 at 07:42 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 5-10-2007 at 10:54 AM

solo tacos rosas......:O

SoCalAl - 5-10-2007 at 12:27 PM

EL RECREO TACOS is a must on the way back from BOLA, San Quintin or whatever. I always leave a reserve for a few of their Carne Asada and Al Pastor. The fresh Guacamole and the Salsa is unreal. I even have them cook a couple of fresh cactus leaves for me and they do it for free. I just tip them anyway. Great Tacos..

Now one place I won't eat tacos, even if you paid me is TJ (downtown area).. :spingrin:

Frank - 5-10-2007 at 12:42 PM

What about the Conception Bay to Los Barriles areas? No reports farther south?

805gregg - 5-27-2007 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Quote:

Got one!!!

[Edited on 5-5-2007 by The Gull]

I've been eating there since the mid 60's, it's gotten bigger but the food is the same, best carnitas ever. The last time I was there I parked my camper so I could see it (was worried about the chairs on the back. A guy came in sat with his back to the windows, we finished and went outside, that guy comes out walks past my camper and looks, his truck is gone, he kept walking back and looking at the empty spot, as if his truck would show up. I felt sorry for that guy, make sure you can see your car.

Paulina - 5-27-2007 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
What about the Conception Bay to Los Barriles areas? No reports farther south?

Frank,
Dern is down at Rancho Leonaro as I type. I spoke with him via sat phone the other night. He told me that that some kind of cream of veggie soup was served for lunch, no substitutions, so after hooking up with the kitchen crew they pointed them to a place where the locals like to eat. He said he had the best Marlin tacos ever. I can't remember where it was or the name as our connection was a bit scratchy. He's due home in a couple of days. I'll ask him the details and post his reply.

P<*)))><

Natalie Ann - 5-27-2007 at 12:25 PM

Very yum! fish or shrimp tacos at El Viejo in Los Barriles. My favorite lunch, it is.:dudette:

pargo - 5-27-2007 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
solo tacos rosas......:O

AAY!! COCHINO!

They sell tortas in that joint:lol:

oxxo - 5-27-2007 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
solo tacos rosas

Buen provecho!

Bajafun777 - 5-27-2007 at 05:42 PM

I totally agree with the choices of Tacos Yaqui and Carnitas Michocan in Rosarito. My boys love getting the tacos de carne asada Y tacos de carnitas and bringing them back to the place we stay at. Then we all chow down:bounce: with cold one after cold one just makes it like, like, Baja relaxed:coolup:.

Paulina - 5-29-2007 at 07:57 AM

Dern said it was La Costa in La Ribera.

DENNIS - 5-29-2007 at 12:18 PM

Paulina ----

Just saw Dern a little while ago at Paty's. He was buying a bag of breakfast burritos, a couple for you, he said. He also said the cooler was full of fish so he'd have to leave them up on the dashboard till he got home.
I know you're gonna love'em.

Frank - 5-29-2007 at 12:49 PM

Thanks Paulina, 20 days until Im driving south!

Paulina - 5-29-2007 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Paulina ----

Just saw Dern a little while ago at Paty's. He was buying a bag of breakfast burritos, a couple for you, he said. He also said the cooler was full of fish so he'd have to leave them up on the dashboard till he got home.
I know you're gonna love'em.

Oh Yum! I hope he remembered to get some of that tasty salsa in the plastic baggie too! By the time it gets here after 10 hrs. of sitting on the dashboard it should be all frothy y foamy, just how I like it!
You know, I'm kinda mad at him in regards to the bringing the fish home catagory. Why did I have to hook up with a catch and release fish snob anyway? I keep telling him there's got to be someone we can pawn it off on so we can feel like the big hunter gatherers in town.
My loss.
So, save some of that coffee and a few lies for me. I'll be there in 3 weeks.
P<*)))><
ps. Are Fred's and Carson's pics back up yet?

elgatoloco - 5-29-2007 at 01:04 PM

Paulina, best have him stop by here and make room in the cooler for your burritos. Food poisoning is no picnic. :biggrin::dudette:

Paulina - 5-29-2007 at 01:06 PM

Elgatoloco,
Always looking out for your amigos! Just think of the boost that belated breakfast at dinnertime will do to my diet!!

See you soon too, oh, and photos of your hairy kids would be welcome!

P<*)))><

DENNIS - 5-29-2007 at 02:11 PM

Paulina ------

That line about the full cooler was a blatant lie. I don't know what's in the cooler. Should be Pacifico.

Pictures are still where they were last time. Things move slowly around here. Maybe when you get here, we can get a box of beer and hang them.

See you guys when you get here.

Paulina - 5-29-2007 at 02:24 PM

A blatant lie? :spingrin:I know how it is....because you happen to be a member of the Liar's Club you are familliar with using the number two rule... Deny,deny,deny! "I don't know what's in the cooler." :yes:

I'm glad to hear that Fred and Carson are still on the floor. I'll bring the hammer. Should we ask for permission to put back them up, or forgiveness afterwards?

P<*)))><

DENNIS - 5-29-2007 at 02:28 PM

Whatever we do, we'll just lie about it. Don't worry....we'll just do it. I can round up a lot of Picarsón's masterpieces. This just has to be done.

Parcela 12...

bahiamia - 6-1-2007 at 03:25 PM

This is a great spot to eat that's located at KM 16 just South of San Quintin & on the way to El Rosario. Excellent food...and so much to choose from. Fresh tortillas made right there on the spot, cubed ranch cheese at your table, and dishes ranging from bistec ranchero, to crab, fish tacos, machaca, squash...all kinds of good suff. There's no menus, they'll tell you what they got and they'll open the lids on all the various pots and pans so you can have a look. It's great "home cooking". Very nice folks too. It's our favorite place to stop.

They're closed Sundays but open 6:30 am - 8:30 pm Monday thru Saturday.

If you'd like to see more info & pics, here's a link

More on Parcela 12

elgatoloco - 6-1-2007 at 03:34 PM

We have seen Parcela 12 many a time, but it seems we are always blowing by early or late. We will make a point to stop next time. I have alwasy been curious about the name 'Parcela 12', any ideas?

In Todos and La Paz

Lee - 6-1-2007 at 04:09 PM

In La Paz, it's Rancho Viejo couple blocks before the Malecon and one block up from that intersection.

Todos it's Chilako's across from the bookstore, or Barraja's, leaving town up from the Pemex. Their Pappa Relenas are the best anywhere. Chilako's Torta is equally good.

JESSE - 6-4-2007 at 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
In La Paz, it's Rancho Viejo couple blocks before the Malecon and one block up from that intersection.

Todos it's Chilako's across from the bookstore, or Barraja's, leaving town up from the Pemex. Their Pappa Relenas are the best anywhere. Chilako's Torta is equally good.

I know i shouldn't say this, but twice i have tried Rancho Viejo and gotten sick, if any of you guys have better stomachs than this Mexican, go for it.

I miss all the great Tacos of northern Baja.:no:

comitan - 6-4-2007 at 06:55 AM

JESSE

I never have gotten sick at Rancho Viejo, but don't care for their food.

JESSE - 6-5-2007 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
JESSE

I never have gotten sick at Rancho Viejo, but don't care for their food.

Theres something about Taco stands that pre-grill their beef and put it in containers to be used later that i don't like. I like my beef grilled right in front of me.

Gnome-ad - 6-5-2007 at 12:04 PM

Had to read this thread because I'm heading down soon. Lots of great info for the northern part of the trip. Thanks to all of you.
And in Todos, I agree with Lee. Tacos Chilakos and Barrajas are fabulous. The papas at Barrajas may only be available in the evenings. (We each get one and then have leftovers in the morning). Salsas and accompaniments vary from day to day, but always yummy. Barrajas is closed on Tuesdays. Chilakos is closed mysterious times.

Have to say I have only had one disappointing taco in Baja and can't remember where. I love the food in Baja.

I know this is a taco stand thread, but I have to say the tamales we've gotten along the road south end of Ensenada are great, too!:yes:

Tacos El Poblano

pangamadness - 7-16-2007 at 01:58 PM

This is a favorate stand for my wife and I. It is in Maneadero Between the La Bufadora TRN and the Pemex to the south. Any one else ever try it?

[Edited on 7-16-2007 by pangamadness]

25th Anniversary Trip Feb 2006 273.jpg - 29kB

Another look

pangamadness - 7-16-2007 at 01:59 PM

I know there are other ones with the same name but this one is really good!. I have posted info on it before. I have GPS #s if needed.

[Edited on 7-16-2007 by pangamadness]

25th Anniversary Trip Feb 2006 287.jpg - 31kB

DanO - 7-16-2007 at 02:25 PM

I believe the El Poblano/Los Poblanos discussion is somewhere upthread. I am a patron of the latter. Had one of their quesotacos a week ago Sunday -- juice from the meat, cheese and toppings (con todo -- guacamole, salsa, onions, cilantro and beans) ran down my arm to my elbow. Mmmmm. Only one needed, though, and I rounded things out with two tacos de carne.

DENNIS - 7-16-2007 at 03:03 PM

Quesotacos should replace the eagle on the flag of Mexico........even if the eagle does taste like chicken. When did they enter into the realm of national identity here?

DanO - 7-16-2007 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISWhen did they enter into the realm of national identity here?

Aztec legend regarding the founding of their capitol is the basis for the inclusion of the eagle on the flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Mexico

DENNIS - 7-16-2007 at 04:10 PM

I meant the Quesotaco?

DanO - 7-16-2007 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
I meant the Quesotaco?

Hmmm. Well, clearly it would have to post-date the advent of cheesemaking in Mexico, which would have had to occur after the Spanish conquest when the Spanish imported milk-producing livestock. The taco goes back millenia, but they wouldn't have had any cheese to put in it prior to the late 15th century. That's about the best I can do.

Dennis

woody with a view - 7-16-2007 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
I meant the Quesotaco?

i think you meant Quetzacoatl?

:P:?::light::lol::yes:

images.jpg - 5kB

Not Baja but...

Oso - 7-16-2007 at 05:29 PM

...just across the river for those headed to Rocky Point or down the mainland. In San Luis R.C., Sonora, it's El Chipilon (Crybaby's) on Revolucion between 22nd and 23rd.

No feesh (this ain't the coast), but great Sonoran beef. The namesake taco, the Chipilon, is essentially carne asada and cheese and a wide slice of mild green chile. Also recommended is the Vampira, basically a beef tostada. Open air, but shaded seating. No lunch, unfortunately. They open around 4pm.

DENNIS - 7-16-2007 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Hmmm. Well, clearly it would have to post-date the advent of cheesemaking in Mexico, which would have had to occur after the Spanish conquest when the Spanish imported milk-producing livestock.

What? Yo Mama never produced a drop of milk? Who's to say it never produced a cheese and yoghurt industry in Aztlan?

DanO - 7-17-2007 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Hmmm. Well, clearly it would have to post-date the advent of cheesemaking in Mexico, which would have had to occur after the Spanish conquest when the Spanish imported milk-producing livestock.

What? Yo Mama never produced a drop of milk? Who's to say it never produced a cheese and yoghurt industry in Aztlan?

Ahem. Leaving my mother out of it, my research indicates that the French experimented with human breast milk cheesemaking in the 19th century (several sources say it's not possible because of the relative level of protein -- I wouldn't know). In any event, due to the volume of milk needed to make cheese, you'd need to have the functional equivalent of a substantial livestock industry to make enough cheese that it would become part of the country's indigenous diet. Besides, even if I were eating grasshopper tacos before beef, pork, goat, chicken, etc., were introduced into the diet by the Spanish, I'd still find the concept of human cheese more than a little unsettling. Human sacrifice to appease the gods, on the other hand, would have been a fact of life, so . . . .

Back to our normal programming, hopefully.

Hook - 7-17-2007 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I meant the Quesotaco?

i think you meant Quetzacoatl?

:P:?::light::lol::yes:

Woody, that qualifies as the best Mexican pun I have seen on the boards in the last couple years. VERY GOOD!

And I do love inventive use of language.........

woody with a view - 8-23-2007 at 09:21 AM

my wife and i will be heading south to points untold a week from tomorrow for 5 days. we're leaving SD at 1-2pm and want to know where is a good stand from ensenada to around the turn to la bufadora. we're gonna be hungry about that time so anyplace on the hiway will be best so we can keep heading south.

if not, we'll just mack-out at the fish market when we stock up on mariscos for the trip!!!!!

[Edited on 8-23-2007 by woody in ob]

bigjohn - 8-23-2007 at 10:08 AM

One of my favorites is Dos Hermanos in Ejido Chapultepec, approximately 20 minutes south of Ensenada.prior to the turnoff for La Bufadora. It is on the right (west) side of Highway 1 right at the turn off to the Estero Beach Resort just north of the Pemex station. There is a taqueria two doors over that they get their hot, fresh, thick, corn tortillas from. I do not think the taqueria will still be open but Dos Hemanos will be. In fact when we were going through there back on August 12th, I noticed that they have rotisserie chickens in the front window as well. Reminded me of El Charro in Ensenada. Enjoy!

Minnow - 8-23-2007 at 10:13 AM

REad the thrEAd wood man. The area you are asking about has been covered extensively in this thread, complete with pictures.:?:

woody with a view - 8-23-2007 at 10:35 AM

yeah, i've been through so many times that i forget what is where in relation to everywhere else:?:. i'll give it a closer inspection this time through.

Minnow - 8-23-2007 at 10:45 AM

My fav is Recreo, but El Poblano is good too. Hard to go wrong either way. I there are also a few new one that have popped up and look quite good. Happy Trails Amigo.:bounce:

Fred - 8-23-2007 at 03:39 PM

Minnow..............Lupita's is also great for fish tacos in the area.

Bajamatic - 8-24-2007 at 08:51 AM

Can someone shed some light on how to get to yaquis?

Yaquis Tacos in Rosarito?

Gypsy Jan - 8-24-2007 at 06:41 PM

If that is the place you are asking about, it is one block east of the main boulevard in Rosarito (Benito Juarez - as is every other main boulevard in Mexico so named).

If you are coming from the north on the Cuota (pay road), exit at the third offramp, the one with the arch. Tjr first intersection is one way street going to your left. The second intersection is a one way street going to your right. Turn right on that and go appoximately four blocks or 1/4'ish of a mile and look for the gravel parking lot on the corner to your right.

Yaqui's is a well-signed, small and modest one-story open-air establishment with trees and picnic tables in the lot (and clean bathrooms!); just look for a mass of parked cars and people in line. Business hours are I-don't-know-how-early to 4 pm. Closed Wednesdays.

We had lunch there last week - still consistently great. I took my second taco Perrones con todo home w/grilled chiles. It was tasty and deliciousl when reheated two days later.

Funny side story, hubby was involved with a collision when some bad guys were trying to do a U-turn out of the army inspection on the free road a few months ago. They crashed and hung up on the ball hitch of our truck.

The army guys wanted to detain my husband for questioning, as well, but, when the officer arrived, he said, "I know you...you go to Yaquis, you have beautiful dogs! Pasale, senor!"

(Apologies to Oso and all our other Spanish grammaticists, I stil haven't found that key reference that allows the correct upside-down-front-of-sentence punctuation.)

[Edited on 8-25-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 8-25-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

bajabound2005 - 8-24-2007 at 07:18 PM

There is also a Yaqui on the south side of Ensenada. BUT, a stand not yet mentioned (at least through using the search function and assuming it was spelled correctly) is El Pique. Going south from Ensenada on the Reforma, it is just past the FEMA Ford dealer on your right hand side -- go through the intersection, first building is Cisco Tile -- then there is El Pique. These are various meat tacos - VERY inexpensive and we heard open 24x7. These are very excellent meat tacos. As mentioned by Fred on an earlier post - if you want fish tacos -- hang a right at the Y toward Bufadora and you'll find Lupita's stand right by the Albercas Ramos maybe 1/4 mile up on your right hand side. She is always closed Tuesday but yesterday (Thursday) when we went by she was also closed...something different - check the thread on Marco Antonio's in Ensenada -- only open 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Mon-Sat (between 3rd & 4th on Rayon) -- you have to hit this place at the right time.

DENNIS - 8-24-2007 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
As mentioned by Fred on an earlier post - if you want fish tacos -- hang a right at the Y toward Bufadora and you'll find Lupita's stand right by the Albercas Ramos maybe 1/4 mile up on your right hand side. She is always closed Tuesday but yesterday (Thursday) when we went by she was also closed...something different - check the thread on Marco Antonio's in Ensenada -- only open 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Mon-Sat (between 3rd & 4th on Rayon) -- you have to hit this place at the right time.

I like consistancy in roadside restaurants. Flavor, price, ingenuity, freshness, attitude and reliability.
Maybe Lupita doesn't foot the bill but, she seems to be consistantly closed.
Great food though.

woody with a view - 8-24-2007 at 07:38 PM

"Flavor, price, ingenuity, freshness, attitude and reliability.
Maybe Lupita doesn't foot the bill but, she seems to be consistantly closed. "

it's usually not your appetite that is the first to notice things are going downhill. mama espinoza can relate!!!:light:

bajabound2005 - 8-24-2007 at 08:16 PM

She isn't consistently closed but you can't count on her being open... :(

[Edited on 4-14-2008 by bajabound2005]

DENNIS - 8-24-2007 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
She isn't consistantly closed but you can't count on her being open... :(

Now...that is an optimism born in Mexico. The metamorphism is showing itself, Kathleen. Kafka is proud. He told me so.

[Edited on 8-25-2007 by DENNIS]

airmech - 2-19-2008 at 11:09 PM

Cheena's tacos in BOLA has my vote. She's right next to Las Hamacas.

BMG - 2-20-2008 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
on Guillermo Prieto between Independencia and 5 de Mayo.

Kate,

Thanks for the tip. Stopped there for lunch today. Both Ana and I preferred the shrimp tacos. Very good.

Steve

CaboRon - 2-22-2008 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
It's hard to match Hermanos Gonzales for seafood tacos, but I've found a stand I like even better, on Guillermo Prieto between Independencia and 5 de Mayo. Don't know if it has a name. 11 pesos for fish tacos and 14 for shrimp, generous portions, yummy crunchy batter, friendly folks. Open mornings until at least 12 or 1 (haven't tried in the evening). There are only a couple of tables there, but everybody shares, and they'll package your food to go if you wish.

Kate

I second that.... I used to live in the neighborhood and after seeing the crowds (especially on Sundays) I decided to try it... and became a regular customer.

CaboRon

El Recreo es fantastico

BajaVida - 2-29-2008 at 09:50 PM

We ate there headed down and back earlier this month. On the way down I ordered 36 carne asada tacos to go for the 12 in our caravan. They had them made and wrapped to go in about 20 minutes. Where else can you feed 12 hungry vatos for 360 pesos?

BMG - 3-3-2008 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
It's hard to match Hermanos Gonzales for seafood tacos, but I've found a stand I like even better, on Guillermo Prieto between Independencia and 5 de Mayo. Don't know if it has a name. 11 pesos for fish tacos and 14 for shrimp, generous portions, yummy crunchy batter, friendly folks. Open mornings until at least 12 or 1 (haven't tried in the evening). There are only a couple of tables there, but everybody shares, and they'll package your food to go if you wish.

Kate

Here's the name of the taco stand.

El_Estadio_Tacos_Feb_20_2008.jpg - 40kB

Re: Taco Stands

allanbartlett - 4-12-2008 at 07:05 AM

I don't know if it's still there, but McLulu's taco stand in Loreto was the bomb when I was there about a decade ago. More recently I have loved the Castillo's Fish Taco Stand in Ensenada.

tacos or tortas ahogadas

mtgoat666 - 4-12-2008 at 10:38 AM

Very good fish tacos at the stand under the pedestrian bridge, on east side of main hwy, northern outskirts of Ensenada. you don't need name of stand, just look for ped bridge.

Questions for y'all: where in san diego, TJ or north baja can you find good restaurant specialized in tortas ahogadas?

DENNIS - 4-12-2008 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

Questions for y'all: where in san diego, TJ or north baja can you find good restaurant specialized in tortas ahogadas?

What are they like? The word means Drowned, I think.

mtgoat666 - 4-12-2008 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:

What are they like? The word means Drowned, I think.

small sandwiches out of french bread, drowned in various sauces. found everywhere in guadalajara, my favorite food from guadalajara

oxxo - 4-12-2008 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by allanbartlett
I don't know if it's still there, but McLulu's taco stand in Loreto was the bomb when I was there about a decade ago.

Yep, Lourdes (LuLu) is still there. Ate there last week. But like everywhere else, her prices have skyrocketed

taco de camaron = 20 pesos
taco de pescado = 15 pesos

Paulina - 4-12-2008 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by airmech

A new stand for you to try, on the main drag, on the corner across from the park is "GAYRO". I like China, she was the only taco stand in town for a while, but Gayro blows doors on China's, IMO.

5 carne asada tostadas
3 carne tacos
1 soda

100p

Very clean and lots of room to sit down and relax, watch the town go by.

P<*)))><

bajabound2005 - 4-14-2008 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Very good fish tacos at the stand under the pedestrian bridge, on east side of main hwy, northern outskirts of Ensenada. you don't need name of stand, just look for ped bridge.

That pedestrian bridge is gone...got hit last year by a truck that was too "tall" ...has yet to be replaced.

bajasammy - 4-14-2008 at 11:25 AM

I think 'half' of it is still there, is that the one? Great tacos - we always hit it on the way out of town (pescado and cameron equally delicious).

DENNIS - 4-14-2008 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajasammy
I think 'half' of it is still there, is that the one? Great tacos - we always hit it on the way out of town (pescado and cameron equally delicious).

Half of the foot bridge is still there, twenty feet above the ground. I think the city has dedicated it an art project to avoid the expense of rebuilding it.

BMG - 4-14-2008 at 12:30 PM

Quote:

That pedestrian bridge is gone...got hit last year by a truck that was too "tall" ...has yet to be replaced.

Well, at least you found out who kept hitting the bridge.:lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by bajasammy

we always hit it on the way out of town

Probably better looking than some of the commissioned public art I've seen.

Quote:

I think the city has dedicated it an art project

tripledigitken - 4-14-2008 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:

5 carne asada tostadas
3 carne tacos
1 soda

100p

Now that's what I call a hearty meal. I think I'd want a second soda with all that.:lol:

Tortas Ahogadas de Guadalajara

Gypsy Jan - 4-14-2008 at 08:07 PM

Quote:

There have been a couple of small, hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Rosarito that advertised them.

Tried one and the meal was tasty...but it was so spicy, and I like spice, that I stopped breathing and I couldn't finish the sandwich.

The place that I tried is gone - there may be others in Rosarito, just cruise slowly down the main boulevard (Benito Juarez) and look for a handpainted sign or banner at a small streetside location.

[Edited on 4-15-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

larry - 4-14-2008 at 09:07 PM

Had a great torta ahogada last week at Taqueria Carnitas Tijuana in Antioch California, Railroad Avenue, half block south of Highway 4.

They also have them at my favorite taqueria in the world: Taqueria Otaez in Oakland, but the chicken tacos, and chorizo y papas tacos are so good that I never got any further--will try the tortas ahogadas soon.

Paulina - 4-14-2008 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:

5 carne asada tostadas
3 carne tacos
1 soda

100p

Now that's what I call a hearty meal. I think I'd want a second soda with all that.:lol:

My first thought was to reply that I was on a diet.

Actually, it was byob for the other refreshments.

P<*)))><

Pages:  1