BajaNomad

Happy Jac tiedown question

Hook - 6-2-2007 at 12:39 PM

Those of you who are using these on your cabover camper, do you have the spring housing to the top or to the bottom? Does it matter?

vgabndo - 6-2-2007 at 02:20 PM

I've used them both ways for years and I don't think it matters. Seems like I've made the decision based on which direction was easier to get torque on the lock nut. :lol: Pretty scientific!

Hook - 6-2-2007 at 02:27 PM

Thanks, Perry. I just put mine back on and they seem much noisier with the spring housings up.........of course I cant remember if they were like that before.

In short, I dont know up from down...........

Bob H - 6-2-2007 at 03:11 PM

I have them up. The spring loaded ones are only on the front of my cabover. I put a couple of drops of 3-In-One oil in there from time to time and also along the threads where the nuts are. The installers put them in spring up and I just kept it that way.
Bob H

Edit.... are your Happy Jacs rusting?

[Edited on 6-2-2007 by Bob H]

Hook - 6-2-2007 at 04:50 PM

The ends of the spring assembly away from the nuts is showing some rust. Assume that is coming from rust in the enclosed spring assembly. That leads me to believe that I had them springs down before. Not much rust, really. None on the threads or the outside of the housing.

We live about a mile from the beach so nightly moisture is probably to blame.

I've got mine mounted with the springs 'down'...

Mexray - 6-2-2007 at 05:58 PM

...which I believe is the way Happi Jac recommends. I have those 'quick disconnect' cam-over mounts on mine, and it's easier to use them if the 'cam-overs' are on the top, and the springs on the bottom.

BTW, I've been told that you adjust the tension just enough to get the spring tension - less than a 1/4 inch from loose. Seems to work out OK.

Neal Johns - 6-2-2007 at 09:54 PM

Spring down, from Happijac website (keeps water out of moving parts). And, yes, 1/4 inch pre-load.

BigWooo - 6-3-2007 at 06:54 AM

We've always had the Housing down. Never had a rust problem with the springs and we live near you Hook.

Here's a way to help keep the chrome exterior from rusting:

When offroading, once and a while a rock would hit the chrome housing an cause it to chip, which in turn would cause the exterior of the housing to rust. I bought some clear plastic hose at Lowes and slid it over each of the housings. Works great, no chips, no rust.

Hook - 6-3-2007 at 03:36 PM

Big Wooo, I welcome cosmetic chips and dings on my rig................they're payments on my pizza insurance policy.

I guess I will reverse the springs.:mad:

BigWooo - 6-4-2007 at 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Big Wooo, I welcome cosmetic chips and dings on my rig

I have to laugh at myself. The camper tie down is the only thing left on the truck that hasn't been chipped up by flying rocks :lol:

[Edited on 6-4-2007 by BigWooo]

Bob H - 6-4-2007 at 10:57 AM

Sure enough.... http://www.happijac.com tells you that all of the threaded hooks should be UP. I'm gonna fix mine today!
Thanks for bringing this up Hook!
Bob H

Hook - 6-4-2007 at 11:26 AM

Yep, bob, I reversed mine last night and also discovered that the only noisey one was the one by the cab on the drivers side. Sprayed a bunch of chain lube down there and all is quiet now.

Have to say that I am a little disappointed in the performance of the rig with the new Bilsteins on it. I get about 2 bounces going over a speed bump in the back and it feels like a bit more body sway. Definitely mushier in back. but it seems to have translated into a bit smoother ride on pavement. Next week's trip will be the offroad test. May have to end up getting airbags.

vgabndo - 6-4-2007 at 11:35 AM

Hmmmmm...I guess I've ACCIDENTALLY been putting my on correctly.

I can't seem to keep from getting "battle scars" on my rigs.
I've finally decided that it is less painful to not beat myself about the head and shoulders when it happens.:lol:

Rust on my tiedowns? Pretty much a non-issue.:P