BajaNomad

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 6-7-2007 at 03:35 PM

Greetings all,

This more aggressive type of offroading creates a new shortcut joining M-1 with M-5 and is not for the faint of heart. Dust off your macho rides and lets do it and not just talk about it!!!!!

Your ride needs to be a shorter wheel base 4X4 with at least one same axle LOCKING device or some form of TRACTION CONTROL.

My LR3 and David K's Tacoma have both recently returned from Mision Santa Maria ----- A trek that thourghly tested both vehicles and quantified their more aggressive type of offroading capabilities.

This La Turquesa Trek will be a FIRST of any 4X4s in a great many years to get thru. There was, at one time, an old truck trail to the mine but storms and time have wiped a lot of it out. The offroad motorcycle guys get thru here on their 'thumpers' but are doubthful about us wimps in our nice shinny airconditioned camp gear laden cages.

Basic route of travel will be a night in El Rosario Baja Cactus Motel >>>> Laguna Chapala >>>> Coco's Corner >>>> Las Arrastras past the pools >>>> La Turquesa Mine >>>> west on the challenging arroyo >>>> 2,000 foot climb out up the mountain(no mistakes here or you die) ....on top and to Mexico 1. -------------- Easy Right ------ just say si mano -----

Date set for this fun run is ----- Weekend of June 16, 2007.

U2U me for conformation and details.

Best Regards, sq.

[Edited on 6-8-2007 by The squarecircle]

David K - 6-7-2007 at 08:09 PM

Okay guys, you asked for this... a Baja Nomad created short cut to Gonzaga Bay!

Last February, Baja Angel and I drove from Mex 1 (just south of El Pedregoso (the lone boulder mountain, on the right side of Mex. 1, between Cataviña and Laguna Chapala) to the top of the La Turquesa Grade and found an old mine or 'Jeep' road that was bulldozed into the mountainside.

This route had been used by motorcycles as a short cut and is described in Kacey Smith's Baja GPS guide as the 'XR Ride'. Other riders have called it Coco's Shortcut after learning about it from Coco (at Coco's Corner, a few miles south).

We hiked nearly halfway down the grade, not sure if there was a place to turn around, if we had to... When I got home I saw it on Google go right to the arroyo...

It is approx. 1 mile from the bottom of the grade to the turquoise mine road that comes about 3 miles off Mex. route 5 and passes the green pools.

It is this approx. one mile in the wash (used now by motorcycles) that would require some brush and rock moving to get four wheeled rigs through.

I hope Squarecircle and other Nomads have great success! I will be unable to attend due to an important family event that weekend! However, I will help any other way that I can!

My trip web page for the La Turquesa Grade is http://vivabaja.com/207

Here are some photos from that page...

It is 4.6 miles from Mex. 1 to the top of the grade on this road.

Here is what we saw... an old mine road graded down the mountain.

At 1/3 the way down, we saw nothing that would make this difficult to drive in a good 4WD rig.

Baja Atlas topo map with the entire route between Mex. 1 and 5 shown.

Satellite image which easily showed the grade, which I high lighted. I point out the top and bottom of the grade and the point I hiked down to.

GOOD LUCK AMIGOS!!!

David K - 6-8-2007 at 08:34 AM

The full Trip Report with more photos from last Feb.: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22806

David K - 6-8-2007 at 08:39 AM

Here are Squarecircle's photos of the other end... the mine: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24607

[Edited on 6-13-2007 by David K]

TMW - 6-13-2007 at 07:16 AM

I would really like to be there but the family has other ideals for this fathers day weekend. And coming only two weeks after a 10 day trip thru Baja, I was not able to convince them otherwise. Sorry

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 6-13-2007 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Greetings all,

This more aggressive type of offroading creates a new shortcut joining M-1 with M-5 and is not for the faint of heart. Dust off your macho rides and lets do it and not just talk about it!!!!!

Your ride needs to be a shorter wheel base 4X4 with at least one same axle LOCKING device or some form of TRACTION CONTROL.

My LR3 and David K's Tacoma have both recently returned from Mision Santa Maria ----- A trek that thourghly tested both vehicles and quantified their more aggressive type of offroading capabilities.

This La Turquesa Trek will be a FIRST of any 4X4s in a great many years to get thru. There was, at one time, an old truck trail to the mine but storms and time have wiped a lot of it out. The offroad motorcycle guys get thru here on their 'thumpers' but are doubthful about us wimps in our nice shinny airconditioned camp gear laden cages.

Basic route of travel will be a night in El Rosario Baja Cactus Motel >>>> Laguna Chapala >>>> Coco's Corner >>>> Las Arrastras past the pools >>>> La Turquesa Mine >>>> west on the challenging arroyo >>>> 2,000 foot climb out up the mountain(no mistakes here or you die) ....on top and to Mexico 1. -------------- Easy Right ------ just say si mano -----

Date set for this fun run is ----- Weekend of June 16, 2007.

U2U me for conformation and details.

Best Regards, sq.

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 6-13-2007 at 02:48 PM

Greeting tripledigitken, >>>>> How about dusting off that Xterria 4X4 and joining me on the La Turquesa Trek. I am sure your Datsun will get you thru the more difficult sections. You have the 'off road' version and it's WHITE like MINE.
White being the absolute best color for serious off-roading.
>>>>>> Best Regards, >>>>>>>>>>>> sq.

tripledigitken - 6-13-2007 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Greeting tripledigitken, >>>>> How about dusting off that Xterria 4X4 and joining me on the La Turquesa Trek. I am sure your Datsun will get you thru the more difficult sections. You have the 'off road' version and it's WHITE like MINE.
White being the absolute best color for serious off-roading.
>>>>>> Best Regards, >>>>>>>>>>>> sq.

Sq0,

I thought of contacting you to let you know that I would love to do it, but can't that weekend.

Suggestion.................plan another trip with some advance notice. I unfortuneatly still work and have to squeeze my vacation time like blood from a turnip. This year is booked.

I would schedule a trip to do it next spring, or.............? So if you want to do it again, and you will, I'm there.

Thanks for the offer.

Ken

David K - 6-13-2007 at 06:40 PM

Fathers Day weekend is a problem for some, but what a great thing to do with dad or son: Build a road in Baja!!! :bounce::biggrin::yes:

Big graduation event (UCSD) I am attending Saturday, otherwise Baja Angel and I would be there with you Roy!

How about it Nomads? Help the squarecircle make that shortcut to Gonzaga we with 4 wheel drive could all use!

The squarecircle - 6-13-2007 at 09:12 PM

Hi David, >>>> Called Baja Cactus today and nailed down a room for Friday 15. Will get an early start, after breakfast at Ed's, and proceed with the Trek. Naturally I was hoping for some help but I guess my timing is way off in left field somewhere. Oh well, nothing new in that respect. We will shall now see what 'Winston' can do. >>>> I appreciate all your efforts in this venture. >>>> Kindest Regards, sq.

[Edited on 6-14-2007 by The squarecircle]

David K - 6-13-2007 at 11:44 PM

Have a grand time Roy... I hope some Nomad viewers do join you at the last minute or show up down there... You never now!

It is only between 1 and 2 miles in the arroyo between the mine road and the bottom of the grade that needs some mods for a vehicle to pass, so I hope it is doable. Be careful of where you put your hands amigo(rattlesnake warning)!!!

Gadget - 6-14-2007 at 05:57 PM

Sorry SQC. Parts just starting to come in for repairs on GSB after our Baja 500 fun. Have a mini thrash created for myself as I have to get it all back together before the El Rosario trip July 20.
Good skill to ya.
We will be on that trail soon either to finish what you started or applaud your efforts.

Has anyone heard from SC

edm1 - 6-21-2007 at 07:25 AM

I hope he made it back safely.

David K - 6-21-2007 at 07:37 AM

He hasn't called...??? Shall we mount a rescue party...???

surfer jim - 6-21-2007 at 09:23 AM

Maybe still stuck in traffic in TJ?.......

tripledigitken - 6-21-2007 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
He hasn't called...??? Shall we mount a rescue party...???

David,

All kidding aside, it sounded like he was going it alone. It was just a weekend trip, maybe 3-4 days. Surely he was scheduled to be home by now.

Do you have contact numbers for him to check on?

Like to know he isn't missing in an area thats gets minimal traffic, especially in summer.

Probably no problem, but as a fellow Nomad we should try to verify.

Ken

edm1 - 6-21-2007 at 09:43 AM

DK seems to always be kidding because of his smiling avatar:-)

But seriously, it's nothing to kid about; I'm starting to feel bad I hadn't wondered about SC sooner. What if . . . . ?

ROY IS OK

David K - 6-21-2007 at 06:16 PM

5:44pm... just off the phone with The squarecircle...

Roy was with a friend plus two guys in another vehicle (older model Jeep Cherokee)...

They made it about half way (3/4 mile) between the turquoise mine and the bottom of the grade... However, bad scratches from brush and the Jeep sustained some major rock damage.

Squarecircle said it was very hot and after a day of struggling, headed back to Beluga...

Look for a detailed report from 'The squarecircle' himself... soon!

tripledigitken - 6-21-2007 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
5:44pm... just off the phone with The squarecircle...

Roy was with a friend plus two guys in another vehicle (older model Jeep Cherokee)...

They made it about half way (3/4 mile) between the turquoise mine and the bottom of the grade... However, bad scratches from brush and the Jeep sustained some major rock damage.

Squarecircle said it was very hot and after a day of struggling, headed back to Beluga...

Look for a detailed report from 'The squarecircle' himself... soon!

David,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear all is well. I'll bet it was hot with the weather were having in CA and AZ.

Ken

David K - 6-21-2007 at 07:44 PM

Yes, that limited their eagerness to scout other routes in the canyon/ valley.

As Roy hasn't posted yet, let me add that they did keep to the right (north) side, as did the motorcycles... Some evidence of an ancient road was seen, that the arroyo has washed out. A flat area also promissed a route for autos... but scouting a cross over from one wash to the next is where other Nomads would have helped... Another idea is to have one group come down the grade from Mex 1 and work a route from both ends... with communication between the two teams...

Just something to do, in the desert!

Roberto - 6-21-2007 at 07:50 PM

I thought he WAS coming down from Mex 1?

David K - 6-21-2007 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I thought he WAS coming down from Mex 1?

Yes, he did... El Rosario to Chapala, then north to Coco's and La Turquesa Canyon... Camped at Beluga, then home via San Felipe. At least that's the way I understood it.

The road between Puertecitos and Gonzaga is so lousy now, who wants to drive it twice in the same weekend???:light:

TacoFeliz - 6-24-2007 at 11:16 AM

OK, I don't know about anybody else, but I'm dying for a trip report. PLEASE

:tumble::tumble::tumble:

Barry A. - 6-25-2007 at 07:00 PM

Mannnnnnnn, it's these "reports" that keep me coming back to the NOMAD's board----------------my patience grows thin----------where, oh where is that report, SQCIR????? A new "road" is Baja is BIG news!!!!!!! (even if it is one for Ken Cooke and crew) :lol:

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:28 PM

It's coming (talked to squarecircle tonight)...

edm1 - 6-26-2007 at 06:23 AM

It sounds like the road is begging to be finished. IF (note the big IF), the temps are sub 3 digits, I'll continue the work when I visit it next month. I'm sure it could be finished if 2 or more trucks are there to work on it.

[Edited on 6-26-2007 by edm1]

mtgoat666 - 6-26-2007 at 07:59 AM

This seeming plan to open an abandoned/grow-over road seems to violate a few common rules of off road etiquette: (1) stay on established roads, and (2) respect private property. All this talk about road building over a road that has been taken back by nature makes me ask, do you have the land owners permission?

David K - 6-26-2007 at 09:35 AM

Well, if The squarecircle and other people want to re-open that road, consider this:

It is a published* route, used by motorcycles for years... of the 10 miles, only 1.5 is in need of some help so 4 wheeled vehicles can use it, too... If there were any land owners, they would likely bless Roy's hard work!:light:

Anyway, your rules sound like those posted in Anza Borrego or some other U.S. park... This is in Baja, and it is only unused (by cars) because nobody wanted to fix it... until now. :coolup:

* 'All About Your Whereabouts, The Baja GPS Guidebook' by Kacey Smith http://www.bajagpsguide.com c2000

surfer jim - 6-26-2007 at 12:19 PM

just wondering who makes up these ..."common rules of off road...."

the land under every dirt road is owned by "someone"....hope I don't need permission every time I drive on one.....

edm1 - 6-26-2007 at 12:55 PM

I tell you all,

I'm not a part of a road building effort. I'm just gonna drive through it ;D and if a rock here and there need to be pushed slightly aside so I can go through, I will gently do it and then push it back to where it was. I'll do exactly the same if I have to go back through the same path.

That's the "truth" ;D It's a driving through effort.

tripledigitken - 6-26-2007 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
I tell you all,

I'm not a part of a road building effort. I'm just gonna drive through it ;D and if a rock here and there need to be pushed slightly aside so I can go through, I will gently do it and then push it back to where it was. I'll do exactly the same if I have to go back through the same path.

That's the "truth" ;D It's a driving through effort.

edm1,

Is the van in the avatar the vehicle you will do this trip in? If so, that is impressive. Be sure to post a trip report.

Ken

MoFish - 6-26-2007 at 01:23 PM

I agree with David K. The land owner would most likely be great full that the road is being worked on . I will be in the area in Nov. it might get extended a bit.

edm1 - 6-26-2007 at 01:36 PM

3dken, yes. It's going to be G35's maiden voyage to Baja.

mtgoat666 - 6-26-2007 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MoFish
I agree with David K. The land owner would most likely be great full that the road is being worked on . I will be in the area in Nov. it might get extended a bit.

Good luck.
In my area, the land owners would be less grateful.

David K - 6-26-2007 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by MoFish

Good luck.
In my area, the land owners would be less grateful.

Just FYI.. this area is uninhabited... Coco is the closest resident and he has been sending motorcyclists to the canyon for years... It is known as 'Coco's Shortcut' by some!

Just where is YOUR area anyway? You know, so we can avoid it when looking for exploration or road making possibilities!:lol:

The squarecircle - 6-26-2007 at 10:43 PM

Greetings BajaNomads,

Departed from Spring Valley, after picking up the only other brave vehicle to attempt this adventure, at 9:00AM Friday June 15th. Stopped at Tecate USA for the required auto insurance and on to the second stop MUSTAFA'S in Las Palmas de Guadalupe for a fine breakfast for four adventurous but dubious certifiable characters. Third stop was Ensenada at GIGANTE and PEMEX for the various fuels required for a trip of this nature. Fourth stop was EL PALOMAR in Santo Tomas, a traditional pause for their excellent margies for the long haul to San Quintin's CIELITO LINDO. My timing was spot on here for our fifth stop. As we walked in the door the happy hour bell rang! That was about a two hour pause with everyone having a very loud rip-roaring fun time meeting all the locals that show up only when that bell rings!! Entertainment here was enhanced by the six canines in the bar area also. It was a great stop!!! It is less than one hour to El Rosario and the fabulous BAJA CACTUS MOTEL our sixth stop. Next morning we top off all gas tanks and suffer the multitude of topes(speed bumps) all the way to ED LUSK'S STARBUCKS CAFE for our seventh stop. This is always a good stop with great conversations, good food and friendly animals. Always talk to the parrots and give them a taste of your breakfast. Our eighth and ninth stop was to air down at the Laguna Chapala 'T' junction for the washboard and on to COCO'S CORNER with short stop to pay respects to Sr. ARTURO GROSSO, Sra. ANITA ESPINOSA'S brother who pioneered that road. His ranch ruins are on the left(north)by some shade trees. NEXT PG.

The squarecircle - 6-26-2007 at 11:52 PM

Oh ----- Yah Stay out of that well , if you fall in you will never get out. I don't think there is a bottom. Yes it is that deep and hand dug! This MAN among men was a singular forceful dynamic person --- a DYNAMO and a GENTLEMAN -------- RIP --------

Tenth stop was COCO'S CORNER where i practiced my poor Spanish with a stand in as COCO was in Guerrero Negro. After a few Pacificos we headed for and past La Arrastras, the water pools and Mina La Turquesa. The mine is up on the south face of the mountain with the arroyo below the diggings. At this point in the arroyo is the end of any tracks. The arroyo runs east ------ west to the climb out aprox. two miles distant. Ty Tipton with his spotter Daina, my spotter Richard Fisher and yours truly made about half the distance to the climb out. The bitter taste of defeat still lingers and is rationalized by the lack of more helpers and 100 plus degree tempertures. With wounded vehicles and beaten men we cut our losses and slowly worked our way out of there on to more sane pathways to Rancho Grande/San Luis Gonzaga where we were looking forward to those great shrimp dinners, but that was not to be. Antonio tells me the place is closed for the night and we four are to late to be fed. After some discusion and we are in the vehicles he suddenly changes his mind and says he can accommodate us but it is to late. We are not going to play that game!!! Quick stop at Rancho Grande and on to Campo Beluga for some wrenching and much need rest. The rest of the trip was about getting back to San Diego over that disgusting Puertecitos/ Gonzaga roadway.

A tip for those who enjoy finner culinary arts with good music(aids food digestion) and splendid settings >>> Check out the LIGHT HOUSE rest. on the hill in downtown San Felipe. Try it --- you will like it. >> Regards, sq.

bajalou - 6-27-2007 at 08:37 AM

Great report Roy - too bad. I want to get down there one of these days and check it all out. Don't have 4WD so I;ll see how far I can go.

Next time you're through, stop by (if you have the time).

David K - 6-27-2007 at 09:39 AM

Thanks Roy!!!

Barry A. - 6-27-2007 at 12:26 PM

Great report, Roy. I assume the problem is boulders??? or are there other hazards in that La Turquesza wash?

TMW - 6-28-2007 at 04:30 PM

Thanks Roy. When the weather is cooler maybe we can put together a group to finally break thru.

TacoFeliz - 6-29-2007 at 02:26 PM

Thanks for the report SC. We'll try to join you if you do another run. (Cooler too, I hope)

bajataco - 6-30-2007 at 10:21 AM

"This La Turquesa Trek will be a FIRST of any 4X4s in a great many years to get thru. There was, at one time, an old truck trail to the mine but storms and time have wiped a lot of it out. "

"It is this approx. one mile in the wash (used now by motorcycles) that would require some brush and rock moving to get four wheeled rigs through."

"Some evidence of an ancient road was seen, that the arroyo has washed out. A flat area also promissed a route for autos... but scouting a cross over from one wash to the next is where other Nomads would have helped... "

Hi guys,

So this is indeed an existing road that has deteriorated due to weather over time? Just for clarification, you aren't building a roadway on undisturbed soil/habitat, right?

David K - 6-30-2007 at 02:37 PM

That would seem to be the case Chris... Did you see my photos of the road grade at the start of this thread or in my trip page http://vivabaja.com/207 ?

All that road construction down the mountain was certainly not to just go to the bottom of the mountain and not on to the mine, a mile or mile and a half away!

David K - 6-30-2007 at 02:50 PM

Oh, bajataco... I just looked at you web page on tires and thought I would tell you I have just worn out the Cooper STTs on the front of my Taco, with 33,000 miles on them and the backs will be replaced soon.

They wore well until recently, no chunking or scalloping, then seemed to wear quicker.

Never had a flat, and they were awesome in mud and getting into and out of Mision Santa Maria (just last May)...

However, they were too noisey for my taste and terrible in sand (where I do most of my four wheeling)... requiring an air down to 10 psi to 'float' on Shell Island. They gained the nick name 'grave diggers' the first time on Shell island with them!

The new tires are Toyo Open Country A/T, which worked well at 20 PSI on Shell Island, are very quiet, and I increased my milage by 1 mpg at the last check. When I change the back pair, that may get even better.

The Cooper's look great.... made it look like a 4X4... but they were my mid-life crisis tire... and I am over that now... The Toyos were only $125 compared to $185 for the Coopers... and no, they are not macho looking or have a 3 ply side wall... size 265/70-16"

[Edited on 7-3-2007 by David K]

607 015r.JPG - 44kB

bajataco - 7-2-2007 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
That would seem to be the case Chris... Did you see my photos of the road grade at the start of this thread or in my trip page http://vivabaja.com/207 ?

Hi David,

Yes, I did see the photos, thanks for posting those. I was just curious about the section after the road ended at the bottom of the grade.

Quote:
All that road construction down the mountain was certainly not to just go to the bottom of the mountain and not on to the mine, a mile or mile and a half away!

Yea, that would seem the logical conclusion, but you and I both know that a lot of projects in Baja defy logic :lol: and often don't get finished for one reason or another.

Regarding the Coopers, I'm sorry they didn't work out for you. I like your term for them "mid-life crisis tire" :lol: That cracked me up!

[Edited on 7-3-2007 by bajataco]

David K - 7-2-2007 at 11:16 PM

Well, they worked okay in the mud and rock crawling... But you got to admit they are damn noisey... At least they did last almost 10,000 miles longer than the BFGs that came with the Tacoma!

They sure look cool, though!:lol::lol::lol:

Here's my back tire (still a Cooper Discoverer STT), 8 days ago...

[Edited on 7-3-2007 by David K]

607 016r.JPG - 41kB

Desertbull - 7-3-2007 at 03:18 PM

Just back from Wisconsin...far-far away from Baja.

As stated throughout the thread, its not a new road...and it has been conquered by fullsize 4WD vehicles in the past few years...but it is NOT for the faint of heart or those that don't warrant off road body damage...

I especially love when the road between Puertocitos to Gonzaga gets bad...my FOX Racing Shox suspension works better...:bounce:

Hot & miseable conditions? When do we leave?:lol:

David K - 7-3-2007 at 06:46 PM

Thanks Tim... we were kinda hoping you and/ or Wild Bill would convince SCORE to bring a dozer in there to open up the arroyo section!

Poor Roy and his friends tried!

bajataco - 7-3-2007 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Just back from Wisconsin...far-far away from Baja.

Welcome back DB.

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
As stated throughout the thread, its not a new road...and it has been conquered by fullsize 4WD vehicles in the past few years...but it is NOT for the faint of heart or those that don't warrant off road body damage...

Well in that case it sounds like it would make for a fantastic adventure. :bounce:

surfer jim - 7-4-2007 at 07:08 AM

Got any more details from those that made it?.....

Ken Cooke - 7-15-2007 at 11:24 AM

Reading the Nomad board while in South America is like a breath of fresh air - yes, the air here is packed with diesel soot, but I´m getting used to it. Sounded like a great adventure w/the SQ. The temps here are only in the 60s which is a welcome departure from Riversides relentless heat.

Here is my pic. helping guard the presidential palace in Downtown Lima:

¡¡¡VIVA BAJA!!!

Barry A. - 7-15-2007 at 08:23 PM

Wow, Ken------you ARE far afield!!!!! One of my main memories of Lima is the incredible "dust" on everything because it NEVER rains there.

But a great city, with great people. Hurry back, Ken-----this La turqesa "run" is perfect for you and the Rubicon. :o

Ken Cooke - 7-15-2007 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Wow, Ken------you ARE far afield!!!!!
But a great city, with great people.

I´ll agree, the people here are fantastic. After 1 week, I feel right at home. At the moment, I am here visiting with Lesslie and her son Jhair. We took this photo on the evening of July 11th - during the General Strike which crippled most of Peru, and brought the police out in droves.

Lesslie and Jhair in Downtown Lima:

TMW - 7-16-2007 at 06:49 AM

Ken, sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy while you can because we're going to put you to hard labor on road building when it cools up here.

Ken Cooke - 7-16-2007 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken, sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy while you can because we're going to put you to hard labor on road building when it cools up here.

That´s funny because they could use some help with road building in downtown Lima as well.LOL!!

TMW - 9-29-2007 at 12:31 PM

If Ken and his adventurous friends spent one day here clearing rocks it may be all that's needed. The ride out to hwy1 would be a grand reward.