BajaNomad

Guadalupe Canyon area w/Rubicon Owners of Ca.

Baja Ken - 2-18-2004 at 11:44 PM

Yep, its official. Our club has organized a run that will lead us to Guadalupe Canyon, and we'll be searching for petroglyphs in the canyons south of G.C. We've got some nice, new Jeeps, and I can't wait for the adventure that will ensue! It should be a great time, and I'll photo-document everything for those interested! What do you think the federales will think when they see 8 modified Rubicon's on the street? Hmmm:o

-Ken

TMW - 2-21-2004 at 06:42 PM

They may think your leading a tour. Read David K's report on the Matomi trip from last weekend for more info . It's located above under Baja General Discussion. Sounds like you'll have a great time. Give us a report on it. I would sure like to be setting in a hot pool right now.

David K - 2-21-2004 at 07:42 PM

Yup, a paying tour group needs permits in the wild backcountry, even though it is not in a park... So said the head honcho of the fish & game people we bumped into in Matomi. Even though we all had Mexray's hats that said 'Matomi Tour 2004', we were just friends traveling together and nobody paid anybody to be in our caravan. Just FYI...

Baja Ken - 2-22-2004 at 05:01 PM

I'll watch out for the Fish and Game guy. I'm leading a group run, not a payed tour per se. Some of us will be wearing R.O.C. club shirts on the Saturday run, but, thanks for the heads up, we'll be watching!

-Ken

Corky1 - 2-22-2004 at 08:23 PM

What is a "Rubicon"??? Corky:biggrin: :biggrin:

elgatoloco - 2-22-2004 at 08:30 PM

http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/models/rubicon.html?context=wra...

Corky1 - 2-22-2004 at 10:26 PM

OOOHH!! Its a jeep with all the zoozoos and wham whams and gigahs.
Thanks, that clears it up. Corky :biggrin: :biggrin:

wilderone - 2-23-2004 at 10:20 AM

What's your opinion of a Rubicon versus a Land Rover?

Baja Ken - 2-23-2004 at 06:19 PM

I was stopped at a red light next to a brand-new Discovery. I felt cramped in the little Rubicon while the family in the Discovery had all of their gear inside along with 4 adults and 1 infant. They also looked cramped, but they were also sitting on leather apholstery, listening to the radio with a quiet steel and glass top (not a noisy canvas one like mine).

Their tires/wheels were street biased while my Rubicon wheels were swapped out for 15x8" American Racing wheels and Interco TrXus MT 33" tires. Their Discovery has straight axles front and rear. My Rubicon comes with Dana 44s front and rear w/air lockers standard. Their Disco is geared to accomodate their little 28" street tires, while my 4.10 gearing and 4:1 Rock-Trac transfer case easily handles the 33" tires I bolted on my Jeep.

With the trailer hitch I plan on bolting on the rear frame, I'll be able to pull all of my junk along with me, and still go wherever the Discovery goes, even with my top down!:lol:

-Ken

Markitos - 2-23-2004 at 06:53 PM

I've got an older wrangler all lifted and stuff It'll go anywhere but down highway 1. It's a freaking kidney killer !!!!! But I love it!!!:lol::lol::wow::lol:

Less than 2 weeks to go...

Baja Ken - 3-15-2004 at 08:10 PM

Our group is gearing up for the fun. I have to ditch my stock Wrangler bumper for an AllJProducts bumper after the stocker started bending and twisting from the forces of my Tomken spare tire carrier. Not like a washboard road in Baja to turn inferior steel bumpers into roadside junk...

-Ken

TMW - 3-16-2004 at 08:22 AM

Baja Ken, if you really want to see if those Rubicon Jeeps are of sturdy metal take the road south of Guadalupe to Cohabuso jct. Take the right fork and when you get to a cattle guard hang a left and follow the wash to the base of the summit about 15 miles. Take the branch road left up out of the wash to begin the summit loop, about 0.5 miles turn right and follow the road up the south summit. Hold onto your hat and everything else. Not for the faint of heart. Over the top follow to the graded road. Turn right on graded road to El Jamau jct. From the jct. Bear right for 2-3 miles looking for a road to the left before the locked gate. Take this road and continue to bear right to a cattle guard and fence. Follow this E ticket road over the main summit where it will drop into the wash in about 3-4 miles that you started the summit loop on.

If you ever do try this run I have GPS readings. The summit is used from time to time in the Baja 1000 races. The south summit is not often used because of the whining of some racers who think it's too tuff.

MICK - 3-16-2004 at 08:53 AM

Tw, I'd love to get your gps settings for that run it sounds like fun and I plan on spending somemore time in that area. Please u2u them to me thanks
Mick

TMW - 3-16-2004 at 11:05 AM

No problem Mick. I'll get them to you on Thursday. I'm getting ready to head down to San Diego for a business seminar. With a picnic basket and cooler of drinks it's a fun loop. I've done it on MC and in my Toyota PU 4x4. The south summit is the hardest, I think because theres more rocks. The main summit has one section about 1/4 to 1/5 mile in that is tricky due to the larger rocks. I high centered my tranny on one. At the bottom of the summit the trail to the south out of the wash goes to La Ventana but it's only for MC.

Baja Ken - 3-16-2004 at 11:58 PM

ken@rubiconowners.com

Please send me the GPS waypoints from the road into Guadalupe Canyon, and any additional information you might have forgotten about. This sounds like a great trip to take the guys on next Saturday!:tumble:

-Ken