BajaNomad

Taxi Libre (Tijuana)

BajaNomad - 2-19-2004 at 05:04 PM

The establishment of the Taxi Libre service in Tijuana has stirred up considerable controversy, and according to hearsay, may not have much of a future after the next mayoral change...

...but for now, wanted to report that I used one of the white and orange cabs last week to go from the border to a destination near the old-road to Ensenada at the intersection of Agua Caliente (there's a Calimax there, and the Hotel Palacio Azteca is just up the street), and my fare was 21 pesos (about US$2).

That's about the same, OR LESS, than I'd pay to take route taxis to get there.

Pretty cheap.

You don't need to "negotiate" your fare before you get into these cabs either, as they are metered fares.

If you walk across the border, head straight for the Yellow Taxi stand. When you get to the Yellow taxis, veer to the right down the sidewalk to the street. You'll want to cross this street you've reached -- so do so at the crosswalk on your left.

If you cross there, there's a (blue) signed Taxi Libre stand to your left in front of the entrance to the office building.

There were about 30 people in that line when I was there on Friday, and I was the only gringo among those waiting.

The time in line was quite minimal... maybe 5-7 minutes.

--
Doug