BajaNomad

new board.....

surfer jim - 6-18-2007 at 03:55 PM

I have had a new board for the last MONTH and finally got it into the water today....:biggrin:.....it is a "clone" of my old board from 5 years ago....8'4"...23 + wide and 3+" thick.....went to 'OLD MANS" in south Orange county...3-5 ' fun shape.....

There is always something special with the first day out....even after all these YEARS......:yes:

Remember your first new board?.....

woody with a view - 6-18-2007 at 04:37 PM

Quote:

Remember your first new board?.

i remember my first "magical" board! junior and i hit ____________ beach this morning and got a few 8-10' bombs. the avrage was head high but every 1/2 hour a sneaker set would roll down the coast. glassy and sunny until we left. water kinda cool though. we had tortas and ballenas for lunch. hit otay at 2pm for an hour wait.

all in all, it was a great father's day + 1.

Mexitron - 6-18-2007 at 08:45 PM

My first magic board--from Hobie's shop in Dana Point in 1974...custom 7'6" gun shape(hey, we wanted to be like Jerry and Rory back then, remember?):biggrin:

1974HobieSurfboardedit.bmp - 41kB

Sallysouth - 6-18-2007 at 09:25 PM

My first board was a Hobie,8'2",1966, I think.Next one was a Phil Edwards red fin.Oh how I loved that board!Thanks for the memories guys!Keep on surfin!!! Hey Mexitron, do you know who shaped that board?Pretty sweet....

woody with a view - 6-19-2007 at 08:37 AM

1983, my first and only REAL "magical" board. 6'5" Rick Holt shape South Coast "Supercharged" (tribute to the air Coryell team) singlefin pintail.

i'd have to dig too deep to find a foto. but here is THAT board in action on the wave of my life.....Salsipuedes Dec-83 <the shark wouldn't bite and the bee wouldn't sting!>

[Edited on 6-19-2007 by woody in ob]

Salsi 1 12-10-83 (Small).jpg - 37kB

woody with a view - 6-19-2007 at 08:39 AM

sequence 2 of 3

Salsi 2 12-10-83 (Small).jpg - 30kB

woody with a view - 6-19-2007 at 08:40 AM

the racetrack 3 of 3. notice there is no one else in the water!!!!!

Salsi 3 12-10-83 (Small).jpg - 32kB

Mexitron - 6-19-2007 at 11:58 AM

Sallysouth--can't remember who shaped the '74 board...a few years later I did get a Sammy Hawk shape though--sweet board, but got ripped off down at Mantachen Bay...bummer.

Nice wave Woody!!!

Slowmad - 6-19-2007 at 12:42 PM

Several previous customs.
First that really resonated was a 7'4" Frye Summer Magic. Glassed on high-aspect, rakey Frye fin one finlength from tail. Beige-Grey tint top and bottom, no pinline, crispy cutlap. Small black lam. No leash plug. Sander did me a favor by leaving a nice little tucked edge in the back fifth. The antithesis of the boards in the mags of the day (1981), and an absolute flying disc. Began a 26-year shaping relationship with Skip that (saluting the five directions) continues to this day.

Lee - 6-19-2007 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
I have had a new board for the last MONTH and finally got it into the water today....:biggrin:.....it is a "clone" of my old board from 5 years ago....8'4"...23 + wide and 3+" thick.....went to 'OLD MANS" in south Orange county...3-5 ' fun shape.....

Old Man's in the 60s. And The Point, and Church, Lowers, Trestles, and Cottons. No crowds. Hobie Phil Edwards Model. Saved a board washing in: James Arness, and a different time, Joyce Hoffman, whom I met in the 90s at the Surf Museum opening in Huntington Beach. Corky Carroll was working down the street at some shop up from Jack's.

:cool:

Sallysouth - 6-19-2007 at 08:23 PM

Wow,Lee, So you had a Phil board also? Double redwood stringers and redfin? MMM, yeah, good surfing days then.I grew up here , started surfing in 1967, and my brother actually took Joyce Hoffman to their Senior prom! They were "kinda" dating then and I went to school with her little sis, Dibbie, and we hung together alot. That was before she married Herbie Fletcher.Where did you live back then?And there was the Harrison family, Loren Sr., of course, Loren Jr., Marion and Jenny.What great days those were, and real die hard surfers,,,great people, wonderful memories!

bajaandy - 6-20-2007 at 09:51 AM

I was lucky enough to work with Gary Hanel (GH Surfboards) for the past 15 years up until he retired from teaching and now works full time in the surfboard industry. All my boards (except for my first few) have been GH boards. Stopped by his place to chat and wound up ordering another one last Friday. I can't wait...

Lee - 6-20-2007 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Wow,Lee, So you had a Phil board also? Double redwood stringers and redfin? MMM, yeah, good surfing days then.I grew up here , started surfing in 1967, and my brother actually took Joyce Hoffman to their Senior prom! They were "kinda" dating then and I went to school with her little sis, Dibbie, and we hung together alot. That was before she married Herbie Fletcher.Where did you live back then?And there was the Harrison family, Loren Sr., of course, Loren Jr., Marion and Jenny.What great days those were, and real die hard surfers,,,great people, wonderful memories!

Yes double stringers and redfin. Phil was just the greatest surfer back then and the epitomy of cool. Joyce was the top woman surfer -- along with rival, Nancy Nelson.

And you'll remember That San'O was a ''private'' beach and you had to be a member to get in.

I was 19 and stationed at Camp Pendleton between tours of Nam. '66 was the best Summer of my life. Surfed most of the week, all weekend, drank beer at the Club House (just North of the park fence). Life was good then. It's good now, but it was really good then. I knew everyone in the water and it was family. No leashes, one fin!

P.S. Second board was a blue 9' Surfboards Hawaii. Shoulda never sold my Hobie. Got it used at Gordon & Smith in San Diego.

woody with a view - 6-20-2007 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

No leashes, one fin!

those were the days....

surfer jim - 6-20-2007 at 11:57 AM

...and no wetsuit needed as I started surfing in ....MIAMI......

Mexitron - 7-3-2007 at 10:34 AM

Article from the LA Times on Terry Martin and the last of the shapers:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-surfboard3jul03,0,51...

805gregg - 7-3-2007 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:

No leashes, one fin!

those were the days....

These are those days, I still ride a single fin rounded pin tail perfectly shaped by Phil Becker but larger at 9'9". But not a long board shape more like a performance long board. Phil has stopped shaping now so I don't know what I would do foe a new board. Woody I lived in SD for 12 years, 72-84 surfed the cliffs, my favorite break was New Break 2nd Lescombs, lived 1/2 block from beach in OB on Santa Monica St. My daughter lives in PB.

woody with a view - 7-3-2007 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:
Quote:

No leashes, one fin!

those were the days....

These are those days, I still ride a single fin rounded pin tail perfectly shaped by Phil Becker but larger at 9'9". But not a long board shape more like a performance long board. Phil has stopped shaping now so I don't know what I would do foe a new board. Woody I lived in SD for 12 years, 72-84 surfed the cliffs, my favorite break was New Break 2nd Lescombs, lived 1/2 block from beach in OB on Santa Monica St. My daughter lives in PB.

you're right. these CAN still be the days. this morning turistas was 3 feet over head and i was through the border by 11:25am....with a 50 minute wait....life's still good!

i've seen alot of it! been here since 65 when mom popped me out. 6 years in chicago, but daddy gotta get wet! nubes and scums are PACKED, along with everywhere else.

hope you arrive down south in time for some of this swell......:cool: LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!

oldhippie - 7-3-2007 at 05:44 PM

I wonder where my Carl Eckstrom asymmetrical is? I really had one of those things. Broke the fin off at Wind 'n Sea. Then there was the Dewey Weber hatchet fin. Great board! But I leaned it up against a barbecue for a wind block. Not good. Too much mota I guess.

bancoduo - 7-3-2007 at 06:17 PM

When did you surf Wind 'N Sea?

I had a Nelson-Eckstrom "gun" for 2WK's until someone misplaced it for me.:fire:

guero_con_taco - 12-8-2008 at 01:19 PM

5'8" Nectar. Remember that shop in Cardiff south of cardiff reef and north of seaside? I think I was about 9. First board ever was a used Sauritch from same shop. I'm pretty sure I slept next to both of them the first night.

Barry A. - 12-8-2008 at 02:59 PM

I learned to surf (sorta) on my friends SIMMONS board at Sunset Cliffs near the old Cal Western University campus, back in 1955. That was a real thrill, and that board was soooooooo sweet. He had two of them, and I think still has one at his ranch in Montana. His name, Wayne Tompkins.

Wonderful days, for sure.

I never could afford my own board, back then.

Barry

new board

chino - 12-8-2008 at 04:08 PM

Quote:

There is always something special with the first day out....even after all these YEARS......:yes:

Just Got a new 8' Munoz model from Patagonia, (fletcher C.), rode it once this fall at Camel to make sure it fit and plan on breaking it in in baja this winter.
After back surgery and recovery I'm stoked to be riding a board that handles like a shortboard and paddles like a longboard.
My first new board was a west cliff single pin when I was 12 in Isla Vista, fat rails and a heavy glass job, board was sold by my dad when I took a summer job in the woods. (rats!)

El Jefe - 12-8-2008 at 07:53 PM

A new board always provides a good stoke Jim. And that wave at Salsipuedes, nice Woody!

I've been riding my neighbor Rod's "Agua" boards. He retired from his shop in Leucadia, but still does a little shaping. Just don't ask and if you are a good neighbor he will sometimes pull something out of his garage and say, "You outta try this one"

This one is an 8' 6" fun shape with a pretty flat rocker for getting in and a rounded pin tail that turns wonderfully. I love this board!

The pic is from this summer at one of those secret spots just down the road from our place.

zzzzzip.jpg - 8kB

7'-2" Rounded pin double concave thruster by GH

bajaandy - 12-8-2008 at 10:10 PM

A big 'ol rose airbrushed on the top... the wave? Somewhere North of Santa Rosallilita.

(Oh, not my first one but a good one!)

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by bajaandy]

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by bajaandy]

Andywave.jpg - 22kB

Big boys at Punta Baja

bajaandy - 12-8-2008 at 10:12 PM

A pair of GH's.

PtaBaja.jpg - 43kB

Bob H - 12-9-2008 at 06:21 AM

Here I am in 1966, in Miami, with my brand new Oceanside Noserider. Over 9 feet long. That board is still in storage in my x-wife's garage who now lives in Fort Myers, Florida. She told me it is still in mint condition. I want to retrieve it.
Bob H

woody with a view - 12-9-2008 at 07:27 AM

go get it Bob!!!

Terry28 - 12-9-2008 at 09:16 AM

My first board, in 66 was a 9'2 Con, remember them?/ then on to Weber performers..great stick..still have a perfect restored one..now I ride a 9'2 Infinity and a nice 9'0 Robert August wingnut model.....Anyone remember sneaking into Trestles and dodging Marines....no leash's meant you had to know how to swim!!!!!

Terry28 - 12-9-2008 at 10:19 AM

My error...first board was a 9'3 Ole..remember him??/ second one was the Con..........old age sets in.....

woody with a view - 12-9-2008 at 10:26 AM

Quote:

no leash's meant you had to know how to swim!!!!!

now, nobody knows how to swim!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Baja12valve - 12-9-2008 at 03:17 PM

Shoot, last Spring I lost my newest board, a 6'2" Point Blanks, shaped by Fletcher Chouinard, on the dirt road from Quatro Casas to Punta Colonet. Blew off the top. My friend called "The Baja Surf Tax". Expensive.
My first real board that really worked was a 6'9" V-bottom, Morey Pope Tracker.

BajaWarrior - 12-9-2008 at 07:13 PM

Here I am I believe at K55 on the north side of the Arroyo in about '76, I was 15 and had snuck out of school with some older boys from the neighborhood, of course none of our parents knew we had crossed the border that day!

The board was a 7'0" Challenger and later rode mostly Casters.

ChallengerBaja.JPG - 41kB

Bob H - 12-9-2008 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
go get it Bob!!!

Woody, my 1966 Oceanside Noserider was 9'9" long. The nose of the board stepped slightly lower than the rest of the board to make it ride higher when you wanted to hang five, or even ten if you were lucky enough in Miami waters. It is a great board and was just so much fun.
My X is not easy to deal with on this topic - she says "possession is 9/10 of the law" when I bring it up. And, we are friendly. I just don't get it. I would pay her to let me have it back. I wonder what it's worth and how would I transport it from Florida to San Diego? The last time I saw this board was in her Mother's garage when we seperated and I didn't have room for it. That was in 1975.
Bob H

woody with a view - 12-9-2008 at 08:24 PM

30+ years in the rafters???? it may not be a pretty sight anymore. but at least it's humid so maybe there is hope, or not. get yourself some racks, pull up to the house and ANNOUNCE that your midlife crisis is in full swing and nobody better get in the way of you and your board. strap it to the roof and head west, young man!!!!:light:

surfer jim - 12-9-2008 at 08:35 PM

Good stories ....and how about those "old" pictures...aren't they great!

Bob H - 12-9-2008 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Good stories ....and how about those "old" pictures...aren't they great!

Jim, here's another one. This is how we paddled in those days to catch one wave in a set. I had calcium deposits on my kinees from doing this so much. The smile on my face tells it all. Check out the home made Jams I'm wearing. My Mom made them for me. 1966 at it's best.
Bob H

[Edited on 12-10-2008 by Bob H]

[Edited on 12-10-2008 by Bob H]

El Jefe - 12-10-2008 at 12:31 PM

Wow Bob does that bring back a memory. My mom made me a bold pair of jams too around that time. I was in Jr. high. Hardly anyone had them yet. A couple or really cute high school girls approached me at the Manhattan Beach pier and chatted me up. I was feeling pretty cool until I figured out they just wanted to know where I bought my jams. What a jerk. I was to ashamed to say my mommy made them so I told the girls they were from JC Penneys.

Bob H - 12-10-2008 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
30+ years in the rafters???? it may not be a pretty sight anymore. but at least it's humid so maybe there is hope, or not. get yourself some racks, pull up to the house and ANNOUNCE that your midlife crisis is in full swing and nobody better get in the way of you and your board. strap it to the roof and head west, young man!!!!:light:

Woody, it's been wrapped in some type of blanket or wrap of some kind. And, now I understand that it's not in a garage but in a storage place - where the area is sealed to keep out dust, etc. Oh, I'd love to see that board again.... and.... maybe even try it out again. I have not surfed since a visit to Hawaii in the early 80's. Barely could make it outside. And, I had no clue what to do with the ankle strap that was there. We never had those. You had to swim your a$$ off every time you wiped out.... usually all the way to shore.
Bob H

woody with a view - 12-11-2008 at 07:47 PM

new board.....6 months old 9'6" epoxy log going thru the motions notice the lack of a leash? i know how to swim!!! at the ob pier this summer.....:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-12-2008 by woody in ob]

100_3413 (Small).jpg - 50kB

Desertsurfergal - 12-11-2008 at 11:19 PM

I love this thread. Woody in OB, I love your pictures and everything you have written here. My first board was a Sunset Surfboards single fin diamond tail. I will try to post the pic later. My dad bought that for me in '79 for 5 bucks, but the ding repairs were 50!!! Needless to say, there has been many boards in between then and now. The newest ones are a 9'0" Channin 2+1 epoxy and a 10' Otis single fin. That one is a beauty!!!

surfing in Ventura

Desertsurfergal - 12-11-2008 at 11:33 PM

Here is one pic of me in Ventura.

Ventura surfing.jpg - 4kB

BajaGeoff - 12-12-2008 at 05:37 PM

Love the old photos! I bought my first board in 1988 when I was 14. I can't remember who made it, but it had a horrible geometric airbrush design on it that was orange, pink and gray. Very 80's looking and absolutely no rocker at all. I gotta dig through my old photos.....

Terry28 - 12-13-2008 at 10:52 AM

Woody, thanks for starting this thread...love the stories...anytime you want to surf Las Gavitoas, (k41 1/2) let me know and your in!!

woody with a view - 12-13-2008 at 11:13 AM

actually, this thread is 1.5 years old and was ressurrected last week. surfer jim stared it and i just glommed on.

thanks for the invite....

jpatosprey1 - 12-17-2008 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
1983, my first and only REAL "magical" board. 6'5" Rick Holt shape South Coast "Supercharged" (tribute to the air Coryell team) singlefin pintail.

i'd have to dig too deep to find a foto. but here is THAT board in action on the wave of my life.....Salsipuedes Dec-83 <the shark wouldn't bite and the bee wouldn't sting!>

[Edited on 6-19-2007 by woody in ob]

jpatosprey1 - 12-17-2008 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
the racetrack 3 of 3. notice there is no one else in the water!!!!!

hey woody - did not know you were ripping el nino in 1983. especially at salsipuedes. nice wave - actually way beyond nice. i will make sure connor sees these three photos. definitely looked like a "leave if you can" kind of day. jp

ps. it seems like almost every new board i get is the magic board - until the next one..... in november 2008 it was this 6'7" pendoflex that i was lucky to buy from some unappreciative guy who had it shaped for himself and surfed it once. had a brand new wax job. heh heh. and carbon fiber fea future fin setup. 17 magical sessions later - in 14 days - along comes this 6'4" merrick m4..............and the winner will be................?

805gregg - 12-19-2008 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth

By '67 I was making my own leashes, ( I don't like to swim for my board ).My first real good board was a Greg Noll, My first board was Jonny Fains used team Jacobs board, and since he was already a good surfer and surfed Malibu, was pretty flat. I a beginner always pearled. I told Greg Noll this and he said you just need more rocker. It worked perfectly, so I rode Greg's boards for a few years, till I started making my own. For the past 15 years I've been riding a Phil Becker, my current board is one of the last he shapped, he's now retired from shapping.When I lived in SD I rode boards shaped by me or Tim Bessel.

Yes double stringers and redfin. Phil was just the greatest surfer back then and the epitomy of cool. Joyce was the top woman surfer -- along with rival, Nancy Nelson.

And you'll remember That San'O was a ''private'' beach and you had to be a member to get in.

I was 19 and stationed at Camp Pendleton between tours of Nam. '66 was the best Summer of my life. Surfed most of the week, all weekend, drank beer at the Club House (just North of the park fence). Life was good then. It's good now, but it was really good then. I knew everyone in the water and it was family. No leashes, one fin!

P.S. Second board was a blue 9' Surfboards Hawaii. Shoulda never sold my Hobie. Got it used at Gordon & Smith in San Diego.

Tomas Tierra - 3-28-2009 at 08:01 AM

Tim Bessel sure did make some good boards over the years.One of my favorite all time boards was a 6'8" Bessel I got from him in the 80's..

805 gregg, do you remember a board maker named Wes Golemon?? Shaped for Noll for a while and then had his own shop at Silver Strand in the 60's..His son is a buddy of mine and just got on eof his old boards. He's looking for info and more boards..Just curious..

TT

Tomas Tierra - 3-28-2009 at 08:02 AM

This is the Wes Golemon logo...

DSCN3172.JPG - 19kB

bajaandy - 3-29-2009 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
actually, this thread is 1.5 years old and was ressurrected last week. surfer jim stared it and i just glommed on.

thanks for the invite....

HA HA!!!! Surf ho!

805gregg - 4-9-2009 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Tim Bessel sure did make some good boards over the years.One of my favorite all time boards was a 6'8" Bessel I got from him in the 80's..

805 gregg, do you remember a board maker named Wes Golemon?? Shaped for Noll for a while and then had his own shop at Silver Strand in the 60's..His son is a buddy of mine and just got on eof his old boards. He's looking for info and more boards..Just curious..

I don't remember Wes, but I do remember Fast Eddie who worked for Greg. I moved to Ventura County in '84. I don't like most of the local shapers, I had David Puau? Morning Star and Fletcher at Point Blanks (Patagonia's son) try and shape me boards, that didn't work. I do have a cool Yater shaped 9'6" carbon fiber Carl Pope Bisect travel board. A collectors item now hull #16 never been ridden or even waxed. I'll sell it in a few years, to one of you well to do surfers.

TT

Tomas Tierra - 4-25-2009 at 04:25 PM

Cool Gregg,

Thanks for crankin up the old memmory banks for me...Boy, i would sure love to see that Yater/pope bisect. It sounds veeery interesting...when was it made?? I have a '59 Yater Balsa that I'm holding for the right time as well..I have a few other wooden Yaters in the collection, but late model stuff..one 10'0" balsa that has never been waxed ridden, my pride and joy.

TT

805gregg - 5-3-2009 at 04:26 PM

The Yater shaped Pope bisect is a few years old, Carl Pope started making them after he sold his health club here in Ojai. I ran into his son Than in Ventura and he took me over to see the beginings of the bisect. The first ones were carbon fiber, Than took a 2x4 and hit one on the rail, the 2x4 just bounced off. Later I went by to see how things were shaping up and Carl had hull #16 sitting on a rack, his secretary came in and said the buyer had just backed out, Before my brain was in gear I said it's mine, luckily I was making good money back then because it was $1800 and probably worth every penny, fabricated by an aircraft manufacturer. It's a hollow carbon fiber piece of surf jewlery. It's only been on one surf trip with me to Punta Mita but no surf so no wax. Now they look like they are made in Slovakia or some other crappy place and shaped by some jokers.

[Edited on 5-3-2009 by 805gregg]