BajaNomad

Mex Hwy 2

Baja Ken - 2-22-2004 at 05:08 PM

I hear Hwy 2 gets shut down near La Rumorosa due to snowy conditions. Our club [Rubicon Owners of California] will be doing a run down to Guadalupe Canyon in late March, so, if anyone travels this stretch of road, I would greatly appreciate your input!

-Ken

[Edited on 2-23-2004 by Baja Ken]

wilderone - 2-23-2004 at 10:18 AM

The turnoff is only 16 miles north of Mexicali. You could drive US highways, cross in Mexicali, and then drive back. You'd avoid a possible road closure on Mex 2, but you'd still have to go over the mountain passes on Int. 8, which may require chains or something if the weather is bad.

David K - 2-23-2004 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
The turnoff is only 16 miles north of Mexicali.

Make that WEST of Mexicali... Also, unless some of your members are in San Diego, you would head towards Mexicali on 111 past the Salton Sea from where you live (Riverside/ San Berdoo area)... avoiding the mountain totally. Also, late March is spring, so less chance of snow then, anyway.
Just follow the signs for TJUANA after crossing at Mexicali. Remember, from the west bound side of 2-D you will have to go past the access to Laguna Salada to the next opening in the highway and double back. The graded road is well marked 2.6 miles west of the unsigned dry lake road.

Baja Ken - 2-23-2004 at 06:22 PM

David always has the answers...:saint:

-Ken

Mike Humfreville - 2-23-2004 at 06:37 PM

We just drove Highway 2 from Mexicali westward. The roads to Guadalupe are now signed with graphic arrows indicating that you must pass the turnoff and return from the west. I never checked if they had also signed the road as it approached from the west.

David K - 2-23-2004 at 06:43 PM

That well signed turnoff is to the graded road, not the dry lake road. There is an opening in the highway between the two, I think. Otherwise it is 2.6 miles back east from the signed road.

Baja Ken - 3-17-2004 at 12:09 AM

According to weather.com, there are rain showers expected for next Thursday. This might make things interesting... Good thing I'm driving a built Jeep into Baja these days!!

-Ken