BajaNomad

From San Javier road to the Comondus

rockman - 7-6-2007 at 08:09 PM

on 16 June 2007, I drove from Loreto toward San Javier (fair) and at mile 19 turned NW onto the road (signed) to San Jose de Comondu. This road was badly damaged during the last hurricane, and is still in very bad condition. High clearance and 4WD are recommended. Our intent was to continue on to La Purisima, but after making several inquiries in San Jose, I was told that the road was "impossible" and impassable. So we detoured south thru San Miguel and Francisco Villa (good dirt road) to Hwy BCS 53, and then north on that paved road to La Purisima

Don Alley - 7-6-2007 at 10:01 PM

The road was really bad before the last hurricane. Pretty drive, though.

Paula - 7-6-2007 at 10:09 PM

I can't believe they put up that sign to lure tourists down that very dangerous road! I was ready to go again, assuming that if the sign was there they CERTAINLY had fixed the road. It is incredible back there, I think it has the "miraculous air" that Steinbeck referred to. I look forward to driving it again, safely.

David K - 7-7-2007 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rockman
on 16 June 2007, I drove from Loreto toward San Javier (fair) and at mile 19 turned NW onto the road (signed) to San Jose de Comondu. This road was badly damaged during the last hurricane, and is still in very bad condition. High clearance and 4WD are recommended. Our intent was to continue on to La Purisima, but after making several inquiries in San Jose, I was told that the road was "impossible" and impassable. So we detoured south thru San Miguel and Francisco Villa (good dirt road) to Hwy BCS 53, and then north on that paved road to La Purisima

Hi Norm, is it anything like the road between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay before 1985? (photo from 1974)

[Edited on 7-7-2007 by David K]

scan0003r.JPG - 40kB

rockman - 7-7-2007 at 09:08 AM

It's pretty bad. Large rocks on road, partially repaired washouts, washboard, etc. But there was no point where we thought we could not get through as long as we took our time.

bajabird - 8-1-2007 at 10:40 AM

Hey Norm, are you still in LTO?

I'm driving down next week and was going to go from San Ignacio offroad to the pacific and then back to Loreto from Comondu. Will the loaded down LandCruiser (2003) make it ok? Tom Bird

bajabird - 8-23-2007 at 06:40 PM

The land cruiser had no problem, the race car no problems...... was a rough road though.

Bajaboy - 8-23-2007 at 07:55 PM

Rockman-

The wife and I drove this route in July. It was rough and we only saw one other set of tracks. This is not the road from Loreto to Comondu. We drove from San Jose de Comondu to San Isidro and then to La Purisima. I would not want to do this road by myself again unless absolutely necessary. But we survived to tell about it.

Here's the road from San Jose de Comondu

HPIM0480 (Small).JPG - 42kB

Bajaboy - 8-23-2007 at 07:57 PM

And here is one of the road

HPIM0481 (Small).JPG - 47kB

rockman - 8-23-2007 at 08:11 PM

Bajaboy; thanks for the report. Good photos! We will be doing similar trips this fall. Norm Christie

rockman - 8-23-2007 at 08:13 PM

Hi Tom (bajabird); We'll be at our Loreto casa from mid Oct to end of Nov and will be driving more of the back roads; mainly rockhounding. Norm

islandhop - 8-23-2007 at 08:23 PM

hI GUYS This is a good overnight trip from loreto,, to comondus on the atv. find a camp spot along the river. then back to loreto.