BajaNomad

Tires for my truck?

Bob H - 2-26-2004 at 02:11 PM

This is what I want to get, right?

elgatoloco - 2-26-2004 at 02:20 PM

Yes!

Bob

jrbaja - 2-26-2004 at 03:02 PM

I am on those same tires and have traveled almost every road in Baja since January, 2003, in the two wheel drive van with the same set. This includes 5 trips down to Los Barriles from Rosarito and the side trips to most every remote spot you can imagine.
I had my first flat on them because I didnt air down to 25 lbs. on the road to San Evaristo last week. And its a rip so I have to get it replaced. Which is done for free if you get the road hazard insurance. Good deal!
My point is, these are the best tires you can use down here in cactus, rocks, sand, water and anything that comes your way. But, take the time to air down prior to the dirt road travel. Really.

Anonymous - 2-26-2004 at 03:50 PM

I agree. Mine have suffered OZONE rot and age cracks
before the tread ever wore out!
better than 50K miles on them.

David K - 2-26-2004 at 08:26 PM

Yup, those are THE tires of choice for Baja... if money is no object. Be sure to get the K/O sidewall protected version... they sell them without, too. The one you have photographed is correct... the long side bars are the indicator.

For 1/3 the cost, Cooper makes a pretty good truck tire (sold as Futura at Pep Boys) called the Dakota... simular tread and very quiet on the street. Perhaps not as long a life, but are pro-rated for 50 K miles... so any miles short of that you don't get, you get free when you replace them.

The tire with the most meat, and Bajaboy swears by them are the Mud Terrains by BFG (Cooper/Futura has the same tread version of this, as well).

David

Debra - 2-26-2004 at 08:46 PM

what do you mean "the long side bars are the indicater"?

That picture looks like what might be on the 4Runner I just bought (could I be so lucky?) I'll check in the daylight.

David K - 2-27-2004 at 12:11 AM

The K/O version is labled as such and has longer bars or 'fingers' going down the sidewall. When Amo replaced his camper tires for All Terrains, they sold him the non- K/O vesions... he got a sidewall flat the first Baja trip on them (prevented us from getting to Yubay).

Look so fine

capn.sharky - 2-27-2004 at 07:39 AM

Hey--I don't know about you guys....but a new tire set in a fine rim looks just about better than anything in the world....and you don't have to call it in the morning. Just look at those treads. Four new ones and you got yourself two nice sets. They should put the tires on calendars to sell the girls. I love it when it is cold and the letters on the side seem to stick out just a little more than usual. Just check out those sidewalls. Whelp, gotta go and polish my tire tool with some WD40. Adios

pappy - 2-27-2004 at 07:38 PM

i've had the bfg's-a great tire ,last three years i've been runnin' on the new goodyear mt's with the duraguard sidewall-a tough, great performing tire.i like it much better than the bfg.

Goodyear

jrbaja - 2-27-2004 at 10:25 PM

I had nothing but trouble with the Goodyear tires. A long time ago. Have you tested them in any of the remote areas in Baja? Rocks, cactus, mud, sand, etc? I am curious as to any better tires available. Warranty? Using at 10 lbs ? All that stuff that applies to Baja.
And why do you like them better ?Thanks. J.R.

Neal Johns - 2-27-2004 at 10:36 PM

I haven't tried the Goodyear MTs but they also have good press in the magazines, three plys, but are a little more expensive than the BFG T/A KOs.

I will stick with the BFGs that I know and love.

Me too

jrbaja - 2-28-2004 at 08:15 AM

because of what I put those BFG's through almost every day.. But, I am open to all ideas when it comes to good tires.

BajaNomad - 2-28-2004 at 10:42 AM

While BFG's involvement in off-road racing has been of great benefit to all in the sport.... the safety of myself and my family has been my most pressing issue personally....

As BFGs have blown out the SIDEWALL on me under different circumstances (both on and off-road), and remembering that BFG-clad racers at the start (down the highway) of the Baja 1000 in Mexicali in '93 (or was it '94?) were littering the side of the road... I've decided to shop elsewhere.

After a few different makes/models, I found GREAT satisfaction with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T series.

As an after-the-fact find, so have many people apparently:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/orat.jsp

I've used the 691s (and 693s?). The only tire problems I've had with the Bridgestones were of my own making (inappropriate air pressure for the terrain, etc).

Last time I looked, they still carried the Bridgestone A/Ts at Costco in San Diego (Morena).

Caveat: 31 x 10.5 - load range C, for a '95 Toyota Tacoma 4wd xtra cab w/shell.

--
Doug Means

[Edited on 2-28-2004 by BajaNomad]

pappy - 2-28-2004 at 06:16 PM

i had flats in my bfg's on baja roads-places i thought they shouldn't have failed.the goodyears have been over all types of baja road surfaces including through some serious cholla fields, clumps and spines stuck in 'em all over and , as of yet, not a single problem.... a friend had a brand bew set of bfg's on his rig and suffered two falts in one trip.i had none...

Bob H - 2-28-2004 at 09:31 PM

I find the answers so confusing... this would probably be an interesting poll topic... BFG -vs- Goodyear all terrains.
Wow, tires are always a popular subject!
Bob H :fire:

Debra - 2-28-2004 at 09:45 PM

I checked, mine are "Wild Country" A/t's" I seem to remember awhile back (thread) that those are the 'poor mans' BFG's and pretty good?

David K - 2-28-2004 at 09:58 PM

Bob, BFG tires are kind of like Jeeps... If you get a good one, you will love it to death and swear by it and give it total loyalty. The problem is if you get a bad one, it will make you miserable. Same thing with these overpriced BFGs... You are lead to believe that anything that costs that much must be good... and if you get good ones, it will reinforce that belief.

The first trip, on brand new All Terrain T/As, we got a sidewall puncture (just a normal dirt road, no sharp rocks)... others never had a flat on their BFGs.

I had a brand new Jeep, loved it to death... it was the most troublesome vehicle I ever heard of with everything failing on it. Funny thing, I still love Jeeps, but I own a Toyota (the most trouble-free 4WD vehicle I know).

I think the BFG tires are great looking and well designed for Baja... I just can't afford them or perhaps trust them. So, I own the Cooper/Futuras (not perfect, but 1/3 the price and are American made).

David

Debra - 2-28-2004 at 10:09 PM

You didn't answer my question.....are mine okay, good, bad or what?

David K - 2-29-2004 at 12:10 AM

When did you ask me that question? I can't answer it as I am not a tire expert. What brand is your tire? I don't know the model you named.

I just responded with my experience on BFG vs. Cooper/Futura.

BFG= French company, very costly, gets flats like other tires do, quiet running.

Cooper/Futura= American company, very cheap, gets flats like other tires do, quiet running.

Tacoma uses 265/70-16" tires. BFG All Terrains are $160, BFG Rugged Trails (as equiped on Tacoma TRDs) are $120 (up from $85), Cooper/Futura Dakotas (50K mile) are $65 Need I say more??? The BFG prices were from Discount Tires.

Neal Johns - 2-29-2004 at 12:48 AM

Debra, the problem with most tires, including yours, is that they have two ply sidewalls rather than three or more. This leads to more sidewall rips, cuts, or punctures.The BFG T/A KO and the Goodyear MTs have three.

[Edited on 2-29-2004 by Neal Johns]

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by Neal Johns]

Tires

thebajarunner - 2-29-2004 at 09:48 AM

First time we pre-ran was in 1972 for the 500.
A local tire dealer (Jack McCoy, also Winston West NASCAR champ) loaned us a brand new set of 'take-offs', Firestones as I remember.
We took the tread clear to the cords on one loop of the course.
My first experience down there and the memory of spinning all the way up (and sliding all the way down) the Sisters above Gonzaga is still vivid.
Handed those tires back to Jack when we returned and he just shook his head.

Baja Arriba!!

elgatoloco - 2-29-2004 at 11:47 AM

We have an F-250 with camper we take off and on. Truck now has 135,000 miles. Third set of BFG's, no problems. Lots of off asphalt travel in Baja and the south west. Next set will be BFG's for sure.

Bajaboy - 2-29-2004 at 12:33 PM

As noted before, I run BFG Mudders and have never had a flat. One thing that must be noted is that driving style definately plays into a tire's lifeline. Drive fast (David?) and you're likely to get a few more flats. Drive like a turtle and chances are you won't be changing too many tires.

Just my thoughts...

Zac

Got it Neal, Thank you

Debra - 2-29-2004 at 02:35 PM

Bob H - 3-1-2004 at 09:32 AM

Bajaboy..... regarding the BFG Mudders. How noisey are they compared to the All Terrain A/T's (which are pretty quiet).
Bob H

Bajaboy - 3-1-2004 at 11:40 AM

Bob-I'm not too sure if I could answer that question. I've had Mudders pretty much since I bought my truck in 94. I would say they are not that noisy but don't really have much to compare them to.

Zac

TrXus MT

Baja Ken - 3-11-2004 at 09:13 PM

I run the TrXus MT by Interco.

33"x12.5"r15" = $129.00

It is a mild mud-terrain that runs like an all-terrain on the street. The sidewalls are on guard to fend off rocks, cactii, tree roots, etc. I got these tires to give me the traction my Jeep deserves, and I expect to get about 40,000 mi. on the street with these.

BTW, my first choice was the BFG AT/KO, since I was so please with them. These tires have also been a pleasure to run, and I am impressed with them overall. They were made in Mexico (NAFTA??) for Interco (Louisiana)...

-Ken

David K - 3-11-2004 at 11:10 PM

If you All Terrain tire fans go look at the photos Corky posted in the Nacho's to El Marmol thread, you will see the poster of BillB changing a flat tire... note it looks like a pretty new, you betcha BFG All Terrain T/A!!!:lol: Sorry Bill, I don't wish a tire change on anyone (as I have done plenty)... All tires get flats (maybe not Zac's Mudders), so why pay a fortune for a name (and support a company from a less than friendly country)?

Baja Ken - 3-12-2004 at 05:32 PM

David,

How does buying a BFGoodrich tire support Chirac or his policies?

-Ken

David K - 3-12-2004 at 06:56 PM

BFG is owned by Michilin, which is a FRENCH company (if you wonder why France colonized IndoChina ie. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, it was to grow rubber trees!) How many Americans died because of France's mis-managed colonies?

Baja Ken - 3-13-2004 at 01:00 AM

David, I still am lost in all of this, but, I'll just support Interco and their Mexican Mudders!

-Ken

TMW - 3-13-2004 at 09:58 AM

I normally run BFG AT KOs. A couple of years ago on a trip in Baja I had three flats over a five day period. All thru the tread. One from a nail believe taken in a motel lot in BoLA. The other two from sharp rocks. Now the tires were worn to about half tread. All flats were on the rear tires. That was the first flat I'd had in over ten years. I have since used on occasion the Remington Wide Brut with good results and they cost $89 for a LT265 or $108 for a LT285 at Carrols Tires. I still prefer the BFG tires but I'm not wedded to them. I also think how you drive plays a big part in the results. I also think that flats can and will happen anytime and anywhere on any vehicles

Baja Ken - 3-14-2004 at 05:24 PM

Its always a great idea to air your tires down before driving over backcountry roads, or those rocks you'll encounter will only be more effective at blowing out your tire. Also, a wet tire will get gouged much faster than a dry tire...

-Ken