BajaNomad

Good place in August?

marek - 7-20-2007 at 01:02 PM

Hey Nomads,

I need some input. I'm trying to plan a short surf getaway with the wife and kids. We are experienced Baja travelers (going down for almost 20 years) and we have two small children who have also been to Baja numerous times.

Normally, we head down for 2-3 weeks at a time in the fall, but that's probably not going to happen this year, so we are looking for a week in August.

In the past, we've gone to Scorpion Bay and it's great, but it's just too far to drive for a week. None of us are great surfers and are pretty happy with small waves and big beaches. We loved the beach at Alejandro's.

We've got a very capable truck and speak fluent Spanish, so we can comfortably travel just about anywhere on the pennisula. We're definitely going to head south of El Rosario.

I've never been to Baja in August because I've always feared the heat, but this might be our only option this year because of school schedules.

Any ideas or recommendations? I'm thinking about Alejandro's or 7 sisters area. Any waves this time of the year?

What about the Abreojos area?

thanks in advance

Marek

805gregg - 7-20-2007 at 01:26 PM

I'm not familar with Aljandros or seven sisters, where is it? I've heard Abreojos has good waves, and will check it out myself about Aug. 6 or so.

Bajaboy - 7-20-2007 at 01:34 PM

You might check out the Asuncion. There's plenty of long sandy beaches and decent waves. It's also much cooler than most parts of Baja. I was there last week and the temps were in the mid 80s while pushing upper 90s in most other parts of Baja.

Zac

Cypress - 7-20-2007 at 01:42 PM

Baja is a good place to be 24/7 year 'round.:spingrin:

cabobaja - 7-20-2007 at 03:25 PM

Zac, where's your trip report.....& pic's. Great having you and Tracy here in Elias Calles. Yea, after you left I had to go into detox too. Hurry back so I can exchange these 42 cases of empty pacifico's with full cases.:bounce::biggrin::bounce::biggrin:

DanO - 7-20-2007 at 03:41 PM

Heat won't be a problem on the Pacific coast. Inland driving to get there could get a bit toasty though, but that makes hitting the beach all the more enjoyable.

Cardon - 7-20-2007 at 05:13 PM

Alejandros is a winter surf area. I've been told is flat during summer. I have lots of surf pics at Alejandros on my website

http://baja.smugmug.com/Baja%20Photos

Have Fun.

Mike99km - 7-20-2007 at 06:52 PM

The Sisters are West to North West spots. That big horn that sticks out below Guerrero Negro will block all South swells. In August we get mostly South and South West swells.
Abreojos has very good waves in a bigger wave window than Scorpion bay. The wave at the point and the Longboard spot are fun. I don't know how well you surf but 3 Prongs and Razors are not beginner, you might enjoy the Far Bar on the right swell. Camping is right in front of the waves.
The waves on the beach north of town can also be fun.
You can do the drive is a long day and with the road almost paved in to town it's allot faster these days. We figure about 15 to 16 hours from Tj. If you want more beta u2u me.

don't forget your.....

woody with a view - 7-20-2007 at 07:11 PM

fulls suits in august! last august 3rd. south of the border, and then some!!!!!!!:o

p.s. everyone knows there's no surf in baja!:light::?::lol::P:moon::rolleyes::o:wow:

[Edited on 7-21-2007 by woody in ob]

donde (Small).jpg - 33kB

marek - 7-20-2007 at 09:12 PM

Thanks for the info. Abreojos has been on our list for a while, so we might have to check it out.

805gregg - 7-21-2007 at 07:44 AM

Cardon great pictures of Alejandros, looks like a fun wave, but where exactly is it? I'm heading south in a couple of weeks and would like to visit.

woody with a view - 7-21-2007 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Cardon great pictures of Alejandros, looks like a fun wave, but where exactly is it? I'm heading south in a couple of weeks and would like to visit.

it's one of "those" places that you should find by taking this conversation to U2U.:!: please leave names and directions out of the public arena!!!!!

Slowmad - 7-21-2007 at 11:31 AM

...as was this whole thread. :barf:

Diver - 7-21-2007 at 11:39 AM

Say Woody, we seen this picture of you on the small wave a number of times.
It is a great shot that I have enjoyed and shared, trying to get surfing friends to Baja!!
But how come we don't ever see one of you on the big bad boy behind you ?? :biggrin:

toneart - 7-21-2007 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
It is a great shot that I have enjoyed and shared, trying to get surfing friends to Baja!!
But how come we don't ever see one of you on the big bad boy behind you ?? :biggrin:

'cause he's outracing that shark between the waves:?:

Diver - 7-21-2007 at 11:48 AM

Those aren't sharks !! They're Dolphin !!!

dolphins.jpg - 14kB

Diver - 7-21-2007 at 12:00 PM

Ah, maybe he is considered a danger ???
Probably Greenpeace again !!!

Save dolphin.jpg - 30kB

woody with a view - 7-21-2007 at 02:00 PM

Quote:

numerous reasons:
1. i can only be on one wave at a time (unfortunately).
2. i didn't take the foto. but i did ride many that day.
3. i would imagine that my little wave started out looking like the big wave.
4. see below.

Calafia Hurricane  Olivia (Small).jpg - 41kB

surfer jim - 7-21-2007 at 06:06 PM

Back to the subject....ABREOJOS would be you best bet....if there is swell you won't be disappionted ...easy to get to....good for the family.....:yes:

805gregg - 7-23-2007 at 12:41 PM

So any of you nice guys going to U2U me with the info?

DanO - 7-23-2007 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Those aren't sharks !! They're Dolphin !!!

Another example of locals hogging the lineup.

shari - 7-23-2007 at 08:02 PM

very cool photo of the dolphins, there is a bar off of Lopez Mateos where gray whales surf...actually, gray whale research on the west coast of Vancouver Island started as a result of surfers hangin 10 with the same grays every day and Jim Darling was just a kid surfer then and decided to be a famous marine biologist and study the BC coast grays....now, the local surf report...yesterday there were 4 surfers out at our local surf spot (will show you it when you get here...maybe!:lol:) Juan was catching halibut off the same beach so when you get tired of wiping out you can always fish. NOw, in August, your kids would love it here as lots of local kids surf, and if the south swell is present as it usually is in August, the kids can surf right in town! We'll hook em up with the neighbourhood kid surfers too who surf in front of jdtrotters casa. see ya in August!

Gadget - 7-25-2007 at 06:14 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's Baja either, but I may be wrong.

woody with a view - 7-25-2007 at 07:16 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's Baja either, but I may be wrong.

it is, and you are.....:light:

edit: there's much to be said for "cropping" all of the distinguishing landmarks from you fotos....:!:

[Edited on 7-26-2007 by woody in ob]

marek - 8-5-2007 at 02:58 PM

It looks like our trip is being postponed until late November. We plan on taking a couple of weeks and heading down right after the 1000.

I'm guessing that Scorpion Bay and East Cape will be pretty flat around then. Any other recommendations? It doesn't look like we'll make it out to the Abreojos area, but plan to spend some time around Conejos and south of there along the coast.

thanks

joel - 8-6-2007 at 05:33 PM

Good thing you didn't come down. It has been a crap summer for surfing. Scorpion Bay has had only one decent patch of surf in the past 6 (count them six) weeks. The past three days it hasn't even been rideable on my 10' 6".