BajaNomad

Fixing / pricker-proofing kids bike tires

joel - 7-28-2007 at 04:49 PM

We brought bikes down for our 4 and 6 year old kids this trip. They're a big hit, but the prickers are, as expected, a problem.

Anyone have any suggestions on better protecting the tires against prickers? I was thinking of trying the fix-a-flat-in-a-can spray. Do people think that's the best solution?

Al G - 7-28-2007 at 05:01 PM

I use it in my quad tires and it works well.

BMG - 7-28-2007 at 05:30 PM

Many years ago I used to be in the bicycle business. We used to sell 'thorn proof' inner tubes. I would guess they are still available. There was also a plastic-like product sold on a roll that you lined the inside of your tires with that stopped thorns from penetrating the tubes. Lastly, we sold a product in a tube (like toothpaste) called Berrymans (as I recall) that your squirted into the tube and then inflated it. This was supposed to seal any holes from the inside out like the fix-a-flat is supposed to do.

Bajalero - 7-28-2007 at 06:13 PM

Joel

Put about 4 ounces of "Green Slime" in each tire

Available at motorcycle shops , Harbor frieght maybe even Wallmart

I put a pint in each of my quad tires and haven't had a flat in a few years

lero

cabobaja - 7-28-2007 at 06:34 PM

Joel, I have a 4 and 9 yr old. I live in a very rural area of BCS. Can not tell you how many flats I have fixed. Finally I cut up old tires and placed and lined them on the inside of the tire, put in the tube and no mas problema! Well, unless the boy's ran over a nail.:bounce:

BajaWarrior - 7-28-2007 at 08:25 PM

The fixaflat and like only works in tubeless tires.

joel - 7-28-2007 at 08:44 PM

Does Green Slime work only in tubeless tires, as well? Any idea what would happen with fixaflat in a bike tire intertube?

Bajalero - 7-28-2007 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
Does Green Slime work only in tubeless tires, as well? Any idea what would happen with fixaflat in a bike tire intertube?

It'll work in either , Joel

BajaNomad - 7-28-2007 at 09:29 PM

Old school: thorn-resistant tubes (thicker on the outer-side of the tube)
New school: self-healing tubes

Both here (mostly for adult-sized bikes) at Performance Bike:
http://tinyurl.com/3a4eng

Performance does have smaller sizes (or used to). I'm not sure if they're on the website however.

I love some of the creative solutions already presented in this thread as well.

--
Doug

leadmoto - 7-29-2007 at 01:10 PM

Slime, and Mr Tuffy should do the trick. Should be available at any bicycle shop.

Puncture proof

John M - 7-29-2007 at 02:01 PM

Hope this link works. Worth the money, a little more weight than regular tubes and tires. Not all sizes available and I haven't a clue about international shipping.

But worth a look.

http://www.amerityre.com/index2.cfm?group=product&functi...

If the link does not work type in amerityre.com and follow around to bicycle tires.

John M

jimgrms - 7-31-2007 at 06:07 AM

Joel i got tired of fixing my 5 grandkids flats and at wall mart i found some tubes that are a foamtype tube kinda like a mousse tube the baja racers use in m/c's i m sure yuo can still get them also years and years ago the early 50's before fix a flat and slime we used condensed milk in our tubes Jim

daveB - 8-1-2007 at 11:36 PM

If you do get a flat while riding in a thorn- prone area, it makes sense to invert your tire and do a careful check for a culprit that still lurks there, just waiting for you to just patch and go, to pucture anew! Carry a needle-nose pair of pliars for their removal.