BajaNomad

Tequila Pancho--A friend to all

Baja Bernie - 8-3-2007 at 03:51 PM

From Mi Baja No Hurry No Worry

Pancho was not a large man but when he entered a room everyone noticed. He had a way of tilting his head, squinting his right eye, and giggling as his right hand lightly covered his mouth. His greeting was always conveyed with a crooked sort of a smile and a twinkle in his eyes. You had no doubt that this guy was genuinely pleased to see you. He usually acted as though someone had just whispered a slightly off color joke in his ear.

Tequila and his wife managed the first trailer park at the north end of the beach—Clams Beach. This area was in use by fishermen way back in the 1950’s. Then you got there by traveling along a terribly rutted old dirt road that ran west to the beach on the south side of The La Mison River.

I first met Pancho in the early 70’s. He knew everyone from Rosarito to Ensenada. If you wanted a load of good firewood go see Pancho. He could get you a pickup load of mahogany and oak turnings from a furniture factory for cheap! You needed a large propane tank, see Tequila Pancho, he could get you one for less than the Gas Company could sell it. You wanted a pig for a barbecue see him. He could and would get you almost anything that you needed and normally for less than anyone else.

You obviously figured out by his name that he was a very hard drinking man. He was also a gamble-alcoholic who would bet on anything. ‘I bet you’ could have been his middle name. He loved to play Caballos and he would cover side bets of $5.00 up to $100.00. He laughed like crazy as he rolled the dice. If he won he would pat you on the back and holler, “Si, Si”, and laugh. If he lost he would glower at you and call you a “sum b-tch.” Then he would throw his head back and cackle as if he had won.

Most people didn’t know it but he always carried a pistol with him—most of the cops knew he had a gun but they never bothered him. On a couple of occasions I accepted his invitation to play poker at his home. It was too much for me. The table stakes scared me a little but as the night wore on he re-earned his nickname. He became wildly funny until he pulled his gun and started shooting holes in the roof. This usually resulted in his wife charging out of her bedroom and screaming at the top of her lungs. More often than not this brought an abrupt halt to the card game.

Pancho lived his short life to the fullest. He filled it with many friends from both sides of the border.

Via Con Dios!

FARASHA - 8-12-2007 at 10:41 AM

Sounds Like he lived rather to be sorry what he has done - then to be sorry what he had Not done - LoL Thanks Bernie !

toneart - 8-12-2007 at 11:15 AM

Tequila Panchos and Whiskey Franks tend to live accelerated lives. Is there a story as to how T.P's life was shortened?:D

Yes there is!

Baja Bernie - 8-12-2007 at 11:25 AM

But if you have noticed I attempt to paint my characters as I would want to be treated and so I seldom dwell on 'minor' character flaws.................His name should give you a clue without out my assistance.

A real fun guy whose nickname was 'El Gato' for a short time. This was because of an event that needs one more person to pass from the scene before I will put it in black and white.

The locals around La Mision know what I am talking about.

PS I don't believe that he was ever sorry for anything he did.n He just lived for the day.

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by Baja Bernie]