BajaNomad

Are you experienced?????

Halboo - 8-10-2007 at 01:44 PM

I figure the folks that gather around here are open minded enough for this seriously esoteric surf stuff..........
If you have the stones to ride something different and stand out from the glassed over thruster crowd......
After years of enjoying but being held back by lesser vehicles;delivered in yesterday's mail, I received a 4th Gear Flyer.

At this point in time there are only two people in the WORLD with the expertise and experience to build these types of craft and I also have an order in with Dale Solomonson who's backlogged at least a year......

A state of the art surf mat; superbly portable, it weighs mere ounces, is capable of surfing ALL types of waves and is the surf vehicle of choice of many in the know waveriders including my boyhood hero and certainly one of THE most influential waterman of all time; the amazing George Greenough.
George is famous for all kinds of things and is known to say stuff like...
"A surfboard needs a pointed nose like a fish needs a bike"

GG was getting shots like this 25 years b4 anybody else...........

Imagine riding a wave on a bubble that wants to follow the fall line.
:yes:
The first Vid is at least 30 years old; Paul Gross is the guy with the 'stache and also the builder of the current 4th Gear Flyers.
The second Vid is of GG discussing mats and was shot fairly recently as it shows him with a mat identical to the one in the photo which is just like mine..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljNxU...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igN3FqwC29E

Just in case I piqued your interest......
http://surfmatz.com/forum/index.php
http://www.edgespoon.com/4thGear/
http://www.surfmat.com/
My SWIMPAL and I are heading south for a month in a few weeks and I am going to have more fun then a barrel of monkees......... :bounce:

bajasammy - 8-10-2007 at 01:53 PM

Cool Halboo!

Although I now prefer my waveriding vehicles in fiberglass, I have fond memories of riding the heavy duty canvas 'surfmats' at Torrance Beach.

Let us know how it works.

Hook - 8-10-2007 at 02:02 PM

"......we'll hold our hands
and watch the sunrise
from the bottom of the sea......"

I have the same memories of renting those stiff canvas surfmats with the rubber coated ends at Main Beach, Laguna in the mid 60s.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not too old for this yet...............

Halboo - 8-10-2007 at 02:31 PM

The difference between this and the old Hodgman rafts can be likened to the difference between a big old 60's station wagon and a modern dragster :lol:
The extreme light weight and silky suppleness of these craft is the secret behind their magic. :yes:

DanO - 8-10-2007 at 02:41 PM

Yeah, we used to ride those old blue things in Santa Monica back in the 60s. Excellent for doing a flip over the falls on a massive closeout, but then you'd have to chase the thing all the way in.

Al G - 8-10-2007 at 02:42 PM

Doesn't Look very sexy...not like McElroy.(sp?)...:biggrin:...only surfer I know:saint:

[Edited on 8-10-2007 by Al G]

Hook - 8-10-2007 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Halboo
The difference between this and the old Hodgman rafts can be likened to the difference between a big old 60's station wagon and a modern dragster :lol:
The extreme light weight and silky suppleness of these craft is the secret behind their magic. :yes:

Yeah, well, I dont weigh quite what I weighed at age 14. Are these things gonna work for me now that I'm a Big Kahuna ?????

Al G - 8-10-2007 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

Yeah, well, I dont weigh quite what I weighed at age 14. Are these things gonna work for me now that I'm a Big Kahuna ?????

Please translate Kahuna...How big is it...:biggrin:

Halboo - 8-10-2007 at 04:16 PM

Paul Gross who builds the mats is slightly over 200lbs.
I am too. He has been talking recently of making a few larger mats for really big guys but the standard issue works for just about anybody of average size and smaller.

Quote:

Doesn't Look very sexy...not like McElroy.(sp?)......only surfer I know

Are you that guy who wears cologne to go surfing ?
:lol:
You just keep thinking about how sexy you and McElroy need to look while you're surfing.
:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I'll be having big heaps of fun.:tumble:
See, Because I was actually born sexy; my surf vehicles can be fun and functional without all that bothersome worry about their appearence!!
:lol::lol::lol:

msteve1014 - 8-10-2007 at 05:19 PM

I had checked into the ones Dale was making a few years ago, is the price about the same from Paul? Not a cheap toy as I remember.

Halboo - 8-10-2007 at 05:48 PM

http://www.edgespoon.com/Store/store/productdetails.aspx?pro...
$292.50 Delivered with a spare valve and a small swatch of material with instructions for use, care and repair.
No they are not cheap but you can buy three for the price of a decent non popout surfboard these days and you can easily pay that much for a nice bodyboard.
Certainly the most portable of surf vehicles..........
Hand made individually by a real live American and with a little care it will last for years.
For me it seems like a bargain ;D

[Edited on 8-11-2007 by Halboo]

Al G - 8-10-2007 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Paul Gross who builds the mats is slightly over 200lbs.
I am too. He has been talking recently of making a few larger mats for really big guys but the standard issue works for just about anybody of average size and smaller.

Quote:

Doesn't Look very sexy...not like McElroy.(sp?)......only surfer I know

Are you that guy who wears cologne to go surfing ?
:lol:
You just keep thinking about how sexy you and McElroy need to look while you're surfing.
:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I'll be having big heaps of fun.:tumble:
See, Because I was actually born sexy; my surf vehicles can be fun and functional without all that bothersome worry about their appearence!!
:lol::lol::lol:

damn Halbooo...your one serious dude...this must be a commerical...
Do you get a commission???:O
My funnies are funny to some....sad but not all...see them funny ...
Glad you enjoy Baja..Albert

Hal

woody with a view - 8-10-2007 at 06:29 PM

can't wait to see your version of greenough's "tunnel vision"....

Halboo - 8-10-2007 at 06:35 PM

Sorry Al,
I guess I didn't realize you were being funny;D
And no I am not on commission.
I'm just a well stoked and sexy, old fart. :tumble:
See ya in the water.

woody with a view - 8-10-2007 at 06:39 PM

Quote:

I'm just a well stoked and sexy, old fart. :tumble:

PROMISE??????:o:wow::?::light::barf:

Halboo - 8-10-2007 at 06:41 PM

Pinky Promise!
:spingrin:
:tumble:
:yes:

oladulce - 8-13-2007 at 08:54 AM

I had Dale make me a Neumatic Surfcraft 5 or so years ago, and to ride the face of the wave and turn etc requires more of a learning curve than I expected.

The hardcore guys recommend deflating the mat to the point you can compress it with your hand to get the most speed on a wave, but then good luck trying to catch a wave with that floppy thing underneath you ! The matting BB's say to start kicking in to a wave with the mat held in front of you (with your arms extended) and then pull the mat under your body to drop down the face. Ha!

Dale's mats have a non-skid material on the deck, and after trying a few of these deflated-mat take-offs, I had the chin abrasions to prove it. No thanks, I'm happy with a nice springy mat and have fun even on little inside peelers.

Part of the problem is that I'd still rather surf if the waves are good so I haven't invested much time in honing the matting skills. But I use mine to kick around the islands in Bahia Concepcion, and I take it when we go to Central America to kick around in some of the little coves (just blow it up, and when you recover, you can jump right off a panga and go explore). I'd recommend a small hand pump for travel.

I learned one valuable lesson also. Pack your beloved mat in your carry-on if you take it on a plane. The airline misplaced our bags and 4 sufboards on a return flight a while back, and my Surfcraft was packed in the luggage. I was more upset about my mat than possibly losing our boards.

Have fun and post how you do, especially if you come up with any pointers for this old girl.

[Edited on 8-13-2007 by oladulce]

BajaGeoff - 8-13-2007 at 12:58 PM

Looks like fun.....but standing up on a wave is more of my thing.

805gregg - 8-18-2007 at 10:24 AM

I remember getting some serious rashes on the surf mats in the 60's, but much fun, maybe I'll get one for the wife. Then I can borrow it.

bajasammy - 8-18-2007 at 10:47 AM

Has anyone tried those 'Uli' Boards? I saw a video of a pro-level guy really tearing it up at the Huntington Cliffs with one of those.

woody with a view - 8-18-2007 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajasammy
Has anyone tried those 'Uli' Boards? I saw a video of a pro-level guy really tearing it up at the Huntington Cliffs with one of those.

yes!

everyone try one of these!!!! the guy who is selling them at "the cliffs" has no takers....seems a "real" board is better.....who knew?????

everyone spend some money, not to mention days on a gimmick....you'll thank me.....oh, forget it!:?::?::?::?: