BajaNomad

Tacoma: (rear) Air Bags & Shocks Installed (in 2007)!

David K - 9-24-2007 at 06:17 PM

The installation was performed this past Saturday at Off Road Warehouse in Escondido and yesterday (Sunday) Baja Angel and I drove out to Ocotillo Wells (ORV park in the desert) to test it out!!!

To set up the reason for this if you hadn't read any of my previous comments...

I obtained my new 2005 Tacoma Double Cab (4 door, 4WD, TRD package) just over 2 years ago (Aug., '05) after 5 years of wonderful performance with a 2001 Extra Cab Tacoma (2 door, 4WD, TRD package).

The '01 was perfect, needed no mods, and never broke down "Oh, what a feeling"

The '05 is the first year of the larger size Tacoma, plus I got a four door... which is also heavier than a 2 door.

I soon discovered that with passengers in the back seat or a load in the bed, the suspension would bottom out hitting bumps at any kind of speed...

I suspected that the same suspension (springs and shocks) was used on this heavier '05 as was on my '01... looked the same. In other words the springs were not stiff enough for the added weight of the bigger style Tacoma, but were fine with my '01.

After listening to advice for the past year, I was narrowing down the course of action to either Hellwig overload springs (which keep a soft ride until a load is added) or air helper springs (air bags) made by Firestone, called Ride-Rite.

The salesman at Off Road Warehouse (Elex) was very familiar with my problem and recommended the Ride-Rites and Bilstein 5100 shocks, which are the next level up in shocks from the Bilsteins that Toyota uses on the TRD equiped Tacomas.

The shocks were installed a couple weeks ago, and I noticed a better ride already... They were inexpensive and bolt right in where the original shocks came out. The Bilstein shocks were made for Tacomas and designed for use with up to a 2.5" lift. Part # BS-BE5-C476-H0 at $84.95 each, plus $42.00 installation for both shocks.

The air bags arrived (special order) last week and were installed Saturday... $530 for both, icl. the kit and installation.

The total for all parts and installation with tax: $801.38

The good news:

We put three ice chests (2 filled with water, 1 with ice and drinks) and a 5 gallon filled water bottle in the bed to simulate a load and drove to Ocotillo Wells... I was amazed at how much better my truck rode, at speed over bumps and ruts... no more bottoming out!

This was at 15 PSI, where Off Road Warehouse set the airbags to... The range is 5-100 PSI (never exceed 90, Elex said)... The truck is about an inch higher at 15 PSI and did great... To change the pressure, the fill valves are on each side of the license plate.

Now, time will tell how it does in the long haul... I will keep you informed!

Some photos...

First stop, Devil's Slide...

[Edited on 9-29-2010 by David K]

AirbagTest 001r.JPG - 35kB

David K - 9-24-2007 at 06:18 PM

New Bilstein and air bag... left side

AirbagTest 004r.JPG - 47kB

David K - 9-24-2007 at 06:20 PM

The other side

AirbagTest 011r.JPG - 39kB

David K - 9-24-2007 at 06:21 PM

I am happy!!!

AirbagTest 016r.JPG - 44kB

David K - 9-24-2007 at 06:22 PM

The Tacoma is happy!!!

AirbagTest 023r.JPG - 47kB

TMW - 9-24-2007 at 06:34 PM

Looks good, will wait for a Baja report.

Pappy Jon - 9-24-2007 at 07:56 PM

Ummm, to bad they couldn't incorporate that air bag suspension with some sort of u-bolt flip at the same time. Bet it wouldn't take too much engineering to figure it out.

comitan - 9-24-2007 at 08:02 PM

I'm far from being an expert but I would have added one spring and saved a lot of money.

Russ - 9-24-2007 at 08:03 PM

Great report David! So no work done in front? Oh, Nice truck.

David K - 9-24-2007 at 08:11 PM

Perhaps there are a dozen ways to go about it... The reason I didn't add a leaf or re-arc the springs was that would make my truck ride hard, all the time... the Ride-Rites are adjustable so I can change the ride/ height very easily. 15 PSI did so well, I will have to try 30... etc. to feel the differences available.

I did talk with a spring company, and new springs/ adding a leaf would have been more than the Ride-Rites.

David K - 9-24-2007 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Great report David! So no work done in front? Oh, Nice truck.

Nope, no problems with the front at all... I would only do something if I wanted to add an inch or two of height. As it is now, the truck seems level without doing anything to the front...

Thanks!

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by David K]

Bob H - 9-24-2007 at 08:51 PM

OK David, nice upgrade. Now, why don't you just take the first two weeks in October off and join us on our trek to Baja Sur! You have the power to do it!
Bob H :bounce:

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Bob H]

Air bag upgrade!

TripleG - 9-24-2007 at 10:18 PM

Hi David

I did the same mod to my K1500, thru the years it has sagged in the rear. Added the Firestone bags and also added the remote air compressor for added flexablity. Nice to be able to add just the right amount or reduce the pressure for a good ride. Have yet to add a fitting for airing tires, but would not be a problem.:biggrin:

Taco de Baja - 9-25-2007 at 07:20 AM

A friend put some Firestone air bags on his 2007 Tacoma and he seems to like it; it survived our last Baja trip too, in a very loaded down vehicle.

You may want to consider upgrading the bolt hardware though....cheap low grade hardware came with his kit :no:

comitan - 9-25-2007 at 07:45 AM

Taco

I have the bags on my MH and I do think I will change out the bolts they are just cheap stove bolts.

Bob H - 9-25-2007 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Taco

I have the bags on my MH and I do think I will change out the bolts they are just cheap stove bolts.

What kind of bolts will you replace them with? I have the same problem with them constantly popping out!
Bob H

comitan - 9-25-2007 at 10:01 AM

I don't know but will go to a bolt shop and inquire.

Hook - 9-25-2007 at 10:17 AM

You guys want Grade 5 bolts at a minimum. Look for MAKE THAT 3 hash marks on the bolt head. The more hash marks, the harder the bolt.

Cover it with a light coating of corrosion resistant grease as I dont believe stainless comes this hard.....too prone to shearing.

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Hook]

Mango - 9-25-2007 at 10:22 AM

Air bags are a good way to go. I work with a guy that added them to his old 2WD tacoma. They have helped keep it from bottoming out when heavily loaded. Like David said... the great thing with air bags is you can just use them when you need them for heavy loads; then keep them empty the rest of the time when you want a better ride around town, etc..

Since you should have an air compressor anyways; it allows you to tailor your suspension at any time. Pretty slick really.

Taco de Baja - 9-25-2007 at 10:41 AM

Grade 5, or greater, as mentioned would be sufficient.
Here are some keys:

Roberto - 9-25-2007 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
What kind of bolts will you replace them with? I have the same problem with them constantly popping out!
Bob H

Why are they popping out? If the nut is coming loose due to vibrations or other reasons a graded bolt may not help much. On the other hand, if the bolts themselves are failing (e.g. snapping, bending) the graded bolts (get a grade 8) will solve the problem.

I had a problem with a couple of bolts on my hitch coming loose. I found out one morning in Baja just before taking off for the day! Had my travel trailer in tow, too! Would not have been a pretty picture if the remaining ones had come off, as it was, the hitch was hanging 1" lower than it should on the passenger side. :o

I replaced all the bolts, but I also tack-welded the nuts so that it would never happen again.

P.S. Yes David, those look like cheap carriage bolts from the pictures.

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Roberto]

David K - 9-25-2007 at 07:18 PM

I did notice the shinny look to the bolts... I am surprised that they would use them if they are less than Grade 5... It was part of the kit from Ride-Rite/ Firestone.

I have used Grade 8 bolts when building a buggy trailer for Baja!

bajalou - 9-25-2007 at 07:22 PM

A fine thread will also be stronger than a coarse thread.

bajataco - 9-26-2007 at 06:41 PM

Very cool David. This will give you a wide range of adjustment. The gamble you take with these is the longevity/durability of the bags in remote/off-road conditions. If you ever do a remote trip with a permanent heavy load (like a camper) where you are really relying on the bags to support the weight, I would suggest investing in a spare bag to throw in your spares kit. Every modification we make to our trucks is a compromise one way or another. This is one that makes sense for the way you use the truck (dynamic loads). Viva Baja!

Bob H - 9-26-2007 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Bob H

Why are they popping out? If the nut is coming loose due to vibrations or other reasons a graded bolt may not help much. On the other hand, if the bolts themselves are failing (e.g. snapping, bending) the graded bolts (get a grade 8) will solve the problem.

I replaced all the bolts, but I also tack-welded the nuts so that it would never happen again.
[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Roberto]

On two occasions, one of the bolts popped out (not loose, just snapped) once when going over a bump and a second time going over a bridge that was bumpy. We always cary spares now. I will double check the markings on the bolts from now on.

This is fantastic information here!
Bob H

David K - 9-27-2007 at 08:36 AM

Looking at one of the bolts used to install the air bags, it is a Grade 5... other two just below look like Grade 8... That's good!

AirbagTest 009r.JPG - 48kB

DianaT - 9-27-2007 at 10:17 AM

With the standard installation, our air-bags did not survive Baja. Took them off and went with super springs. We were tired of trying to replace broken bolts.

Good luck, and hope the bolts are super bolts. Oh, we kept the onboard compressor we had installed and really like it.

John and diane

comitan - 9-27-2007 at 10:43 AM

David

I see no problem with the upper bolts, its the lower stove bolts that I'm going to replace with 8s and have them tacked at the top so they be re tightened on second thought I will double nut them. ( Shiny ones on the bottom are stove bolts I know I installed mine)

Carriage Bolts

John M - 9-27-2007 at 11:39 AM

From one of the installation pages is this photo and picture of the bolts in question

Contacting a bolt store, he said that carriage bolts are either grade 2 or grade 5. The grade 5 have 3 slash marks on the head of the bolt. I beleive I'd use blue lock-tite on the nuts along with a grade 8 hex bolt. I would hesitate to spot weld a bolt in place in this application.

John

bolts.jpg - 28kB

Bajaddict - 9-27-2007 at 12:16 PM

My rear leafs on my 99 Tacoma (with shell and full lumber rack) were worn... it would bottom out going slowly over speed bumps, even when empty. Deaver Springs ( deaverspring.com ) added a leaf and re-built the packs for $430 or $480.... I forget which.

It leveled out the ride without making them overly stiff (the "empty dump truck effect") .... and bottoming out is no longer a problem.

Roberto - 9-27-2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
From one of the installation pages is this photo and picture of the bolts in question

Yes, exactly. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned carriage bolts. They have the characteristic head clearly visible in the picture.

David K - 9-27-2007 at 06:25 PM

The carriage bolts are marked : HKT (and) 307A on the head... What does that signify?

Off Road Warehouse did the installation and guaranteed it... Lock tite was used and I told them the concerns I heard before (bolts breaking, coming loose) and Elex said they were 'professionals at this', not to worry! I told them I want it to be as strong as if it was a Baja racer!

In any case, even if one fails on a trip, it is no worse than before without them... the stock springs are there and I now have bigger shocks... I am not adding an oversize camper or hauling out 'lost mission gold'! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the comments and contributions... thats what a discussion board is about! Also, it's nice to see you here Chris!

Something strange

Sharksbaja - 9-28-2007 at 12:38 AM

in the 2nd photo. It looks as if the lower bracket is bowed from overtightening. I am sure those are not torqued properly. If you look at the bow then you come to realize that with more fatigue and flexing an overtightened bolt like those may pull apart as the thread weakens the bolt at the shoulder. I would take those cheap channel brackets and throw them away and have someone fashion you some out of 3/4"X 2" solid bar stock. On the top end I would make a bracket to place under the two bolts on the top. I would use 3/16 or 1/4" X1" bar stock. Drill the two 9/16" holes as required for new 1/2" bolts. Replace with hardened machine bolts. All you need is a saw and a drill press. To insure they stay put I would just run a second nut up and cinch it against the primary nut(s). Like so:

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by Sharksbaja]

Upgrade.jpg - 31kB

TMW - 9-28-2007 at 07:29 AM

["hauling out 'lost mission gold'!"]

So you found it, I thought you were holding something back. That's really why you needed a stiffer rearend under load.

DanO - 9-28-2007 at 10:00 AM

Yeah, that is way cool.

comitan - 9-28-2007 at 10:01 AM

David

What these markings ( The carriage bolts are marked : HKT (and) 307A on the head)mean I don't know but I do know they are not strong, because when installing I made a little mistake and have one that is bent(very easy)

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by comitan]

Sharksbaja - 9-28-2007 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Shark,is that a design program?If it is,which one?

Actually, it's a vector program. It has various tools similar to Photoshop. I like it because with vector drawings you can manipulate every aspect w/o loss of resolution. Plus you can save as other files for different programs. It's called Drawplus.
I think those brackets are "Takahashi" brand and should be beefed up.:D

Ken Cooke - 9-28-2007 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Now, time will tell how it does in the long haul... I will keep you informed!

David,

Baja Grande is in November. We could use a capable Toyota on the run, and yours looks ready. Think about it. Pavo inside Mision Sta. Maria??? :light:

Bajaddict - 9-29-2007 at 06:40 AM

Do you stilll have your "old" shocks? Wanna let them go for some $ ?

Mine are blowin' mud.... :(

4baja - 10-2-2007 at 06:27 AM

ill have too agree with JD trotter, i had too sets of these air bags and both developed leeks in the baja. i replaced them with add a leafe leafe springs and never had a problem. they just never seemed too hold up too the speeds i was driveing the dirt roads. allso the original bilstein shocks supplied by toyota are junk as i told dave along time ago on our tacomas, i allso replaced them with upgrades. just installed the super leafs on my tundra and they seem too work great, will see on my 7 sister trip in december.:coolup:

Bob and Susan - 10-2-2007 at 06:32 AM

if you want it to break...
bring it to baja:lol:

David K - 10-2-2007 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaddict
Do you stilll have your "old" shocks? Wanna let them go for some $ ?

Mine are blowin' mud.... :(

Hi Chris,

No, I didn't keep them... get the 5100's I mentioned in this thread (model made for Tacomas)... Big difference for little dinero!

woody with a view - 5-12-2009 at 05:47 PM

so, after searching and researching i've come back here for an unbiased answer:lol:.

last month Bia and i took the tundra down and managed to find some pretty ruff roads along the coast. we did the circuit from the south and out through catavina. i had loaded the truck wrong with the second spare and the coolers loaded last:rolleyes:.... needless to say we were bottoming out way too much. on the way out i rearranged the load but all the liquids, ice, and most of the food was gone so the load wasn't the same. so the ? becomes....

will upgrading to the HD Bilsteins be sufficient to stop the pounding or are the bags really a better option?

TMW - 5-12-2009 at 06:12 PM

In my opinion shocks are not the answer to bottoming out. Either add a leaf or go with the air bags. Add a leafs are cheaper but the air bags allow you to adjust your load handling for a smoother hwy ride and to adjust for the off-road ride. I've always went with the add a leaf because I don't mind a stiffer hwy ride and I'm cheap.

I don't mean to say shocks are not important, they are very important, but not for bottoming unless they are the type with a spring on them.

Ken Cooke - 5-12-2009 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
so, after searching and researching i've come back here for an unbiased answer:lol:.

Daystar Shock Absorber Bump Stops. Get the Black ones as they are set up for a more firm bumper for the shock absorbers. Adjustable shocks like the MX-6 might do the trick. An Add-A-Leaf will give you a more firm ride - is this your daily driver?

For right around $40, I'd do the Daystar bump stops first. :!:

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/W_poly_bumpstops.htm

[Edited on 5-13-2009 by Ken Cooke]

woody with a view - 5-12-2009 at 08:35 PM

not a daily driver. it's the expiditionary machine. will these work on any shocks?

Ken Cooke - 5-12-2009 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
not a daily driver. it's the expiditionary machine. will these work on any shocks?

If its not a daily driver, I'd do the Add A Leafs **AND** the Daystar Shock Bumpstops. These work with any shock I believe. I plan on getting the black ones for my Rubicon since I tend to overload the Jeep when I do the expedition trips in Baja once a year.

squintingringo - 5-13-2009 at 10:24 AM

For what it is worth, I have been using the air bags (from Airlift) for the past five years. I first had them on my '04 Tacoma and drove thousands of miles off-road in Baja with various sized loads.

In '06 I traded up to a 4-dr Tundra and one of the first things I did was install air bags. In both cases I bought the kits online for around $175 and installed them myself. It takes about an hour and requires a drill and a couple of wrenches.

They are great. I do a lot of highway driving as well, often with no load, and stiff springs were not an option I was willing to consider. The air bags let me adjust the stiffness to the load and the terrain and maintain the ride I want. Off road trips often start out with a heavy load and end up with much of it diminished. Water, ice, fuel, food, complaining passengers, all are left behind or consumed along the way. A couple seconds to let some air out and the ride is right where I want it again. And a couple of quads in the back, or a heavy trailer on the hitch require a quick squirt of air from my little 12v compressor.

I have had very good luck with the Airlifts. They seem pretty bulletproof. Just keep at least ten pounds of air in them and they last a long time. I traded the Tacoma with 79,000 miles on it and the Tundra now has almost 90,000, and probably a third of the miles in both of them were off road. Only other modifications were bigger tires (BFG Baja's of course) and "leveling kits" which lift the truck a couple of inches so I don't scrape where all the factory trucks do. They keep all the hazards knocked down for me.

David K - 5-13-2009 at 10:34 AM

In case it isn't noticed by newer Nomads, this thread is close to two years old... Let me say that my 2005 4 door Tacoma is still doing great with the Ride Rite/ Firestone adjustable air springs ('air bags') and Bilstein 5100 rear shocks... The addition worked flawlessly and no more bottoming out ever since... The bolts that were a concern to some here in 2007 are still there... and we did the road to Gonzaga a few months ago.

15 psi is normal... and I bump it to 30 psi with a camping load. Rides right... or is that Rides Rite!?

Nice to hear that the other brand of air bags worked well for you, too squintingringo. You saved a lot of money, too!

Gadget - 5-13-2009 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Daystar Shock Absorber Bump Stops. Get the Black ones as they are set up for a more firm bumper for the shock absorbers. Adjustable shocks like the MX-6 might do the trick. An Add-A-Leaf will give you a more firm ride - is this your daily driver?

For right around $40, I'd do the Daystar bump stops first. :!:

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/W_poly_bumpstops.htm

[Edited on 5-13-2009 by Ken Cooke]

:!::!::!: YIKES :!::!::!:
What on earth are these?
Now I'm no expert, but some of the stuff the after market comes up with is just plain scarry.
As I understand things, springs carry the load and shocks keep the springs from compressing and rebounding violently, slowing their movement for a smooth ride. Without the shocks, the springs would still do the job they are engineered for, just not in a controlled or comfortable manner, and would beat the crap out of you and the vehicle.

If a rig is loaded beyond the rated maximum of the spring, it will run into something, i.e. the frame rail. There is a bump stop solidly mounted there to accept this collision, but the bump stop is not engineered to suffer constant abuse. As it has been explained to me, the rubber or urethane bump will squish completely after just a few slams and will no longer prevent the collision of the spring and frame rail, hence the "bottom out" condition. The first few times it happened, you didn't notice it. Once the bump was compositionally altered by the overload collision, it will no longer do its job.

So with these forces taken into consideration, the idea that the bump can be controlled by the shock shaft and eye mount attachment points with a urethane doughnut on it is rediculous. IMHO shock failure will be soon in the coming.

Davids fix is the only one of 2 as I see it.
Air bag overload "springs" to increase the carrying capacity of the spring and firmer shocks to slow comp and rebo.
Or an add-a-leaf, which will result in stiffer unloaded ride.

I have a pair of overload bags on my F-250 for when I have a big load in my dump trailer. 5 PSI = smooth ride around town and 100 PSI if I need it for a load. Love em!

GSB has an engineered 11, yes that's eleven, leaf pre-runner pack by National controlled by 2 - 2.5" Fox reservoir shocks on each side and bumped by 2" hydraulic / gas charged bump stops, which have a 1.25" solid steel shaft in them. The 5900lb pig can land on 1 rear tire and suck it all up. The springs with travel 16" vertically and go from full droop to completely inverted (straightened out and bent the other direction) at full bump....and it rides like a Caddy. I am continually amazed with I see the dust on the bump stop shaft has been cleaned off all the way to its 1/2" exposed stopping point. The forces to bend those springs that way is hard to imagine.:o
To conclude, I really don't know what my point is, but I used alot of words, huh? :lol::lol::lol:
Just do it!:cool:

landyacht318 - 5-13-2009 at 12:04 PM

Another possibility is to add Timbrens instead of airbags. They are oversized bump stops, and a lot of truck camper guys swear by them. A benefit is that they can never leak, downside they can't be adjusted, but supposedly they make absolutely no difference in ride quality unloaded.

I have the ride rites and love the adjustability.

David K - 5-13-2009 at 02:24 PM

Hi Gadget!

How is GSB? All fixed?

David K - 5-13-2009 at 03:03 PM

No kidding Glen, I can picture bent shocks and other bad stuff! Control the impact by slowing it down, don't build a 'wall' and stop it at full potential!

Ken Cooke - 5-13-2009 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
:!::!::!: YIKES :!::!::!:
What on earth are these?
Now I'm no expert, but some of the stuff the after market comes up with is just plain scarry.

With a Jeep, your front suspension is held in place by the shocks and a simple coil retainer clip. So, your shock is engineered to do more than it was originally designed for.

The rear shocks on my Jeep compress more than they should thanks to the absence of extended bump stops at the rear axle. I plan on sliding a pair of these on the rear shocks and giving it a go. I'll let you know how these work out for me after I do another trip from Puertecitos to Laguna Chapala.

joel - 5-14-2009 at 10:27 PM

I have a Suburban with a 6 inch lift that usually lives in Baja. I've been getting a lot of sway and bottoming out when heavily loaded so decided to go with air bags (shocks, IMO won't do anything for either sway or bottoming out).

I added Firestone F9000 Sleeve Bags. They were great on the paved roads. Eliminated the sway altogether. Really nice ride.

I aired down to about 50 off-road and they popped after 3 hours of medium-hard driving.

I'm interested in those that who say they are using air bags off road, what PSI are you running at and have you popped any?

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by joel]

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by joel]

Air INprocess (16).JPG - 41kB

David K - 5-15-2009 at 09:08 AM

Joel, see my post above...

The Ride Rite (Firestone) air springs were installed nearly 2 years ago at Off Road Warehouse, in Escondido... and I have done plenty of off roading since. Included is the 80+ miles north and south of Gonzaga Bay that so many have blown shocks on... or tore their tires to shreads on. Perhaps the Ride Rite is a heavier rubber... I would think that an off road prep shop would not sell a product that fails.

Did your 'sleeve bags' get replaced under warantee and have you gone off highway since?

Air pressure in the bags has always been between 15-30 psi. The range is 10-100, I recall.

woody with a view - 5-15-2009 at 04:25 PM

i've decided on the following:

http://4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=28129&P...

joel- it looks like your gas tank holding strap is "shiny" and maybe the rubbing against the bag led to the failure. why did you air DOWN while going off road? your picture made my decision to go with the column style instead of the double bag style.

price = $197 + free shipping. my mekanic is gonna install for two hours labor. i told him i want a "tee" fitting to allow me to air UP both sides simultaneously with my high volume portable compressor. his only concern (not the bolts) was the brackets. he has installed these on 2 ford expedition limo's and said the brackets were the weak link, not the bolts. we shall see.

i'm don't plan on having 10-15 drunk's going to prom in the back, so i think i'm gonna be alright........:light:

edit: my mech rec'd 65 pounds off road. we'll see.

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by woody in ob]

joel - 5-15-2009 at 09:01 PM

The photos above were taken during the installation process.

I can see where they popped and it was facing the outside of the car -- there isn't anything they could have come in contact with. The bags on the car don't have any steel mesh in the rubber, so they couldn't take the pounding.

I would consider taking them back under warranty, but the vehicle is down in Baja and hopefully will stay down there for quite some time, so I'll have to figure out a new bag to put on it and fly down with it next time I head down.

woody with a view - 6-5-2009 at 11:55 AM

just had my air bags installed. $197 + free shipping for the kit. $212 for labor. not too bad. the bags are at 60psi but i'm gonna drop it to 40 and see how they ride.

first impressions = the back end is a little (1 1/2"?) higher. the ride is just a little stiffer. i asked my mech to run a tee to one filler valve but he didn't:fire:. i have two fill valves :mad: but it isn't really that big a deal, i guess. now to figure out the sweet PSI spot.

David K - 6-5-2009 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
just had my air bags installed. $197 + free shipping for the kit. $212 for labor. not too bad. the bags are at 60psi but i'm gonna drop it to 40 and see how they ride.

first impressions = the back end is a little (1 1/2"?) higher. the ride is just a little stiffer. i asked my mech to run a tee to one filler valve but he didn't:fire:. i have two fill valves :mad: but it isn't really that big a deal, i guess. now to figure out the sweet PSI spot.

Woody, ORW also did mine with two fill valves (on each side of the license plate)... One made more sense to me, as well... However, as you will soon discover... It takes very very little air and changes in a second or two.

60 psi is the most I had, with a heavy load... was too stiff when unloaded... Prefer 20-30 psi....

joel - 6-5-2009 at 03:54 PM

Woody, what bags did you go with?

David K - 6-5-2009 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
Woody, what bags did you go with?

See his post just above, dated 5-15-09:

i've decided on the following:

http://4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=28129&P...

joel- it looks like your gas tank holding strap is "shiny" and maybe the rubbing against the bag led to the failure. why did you air DOWN while going off road? your picture made my decision to go with the column style instead of the double bag style.

price = $197 + free shipping. my mekanic is gonna install for two hours labor. i told him i want a "tee" fitting to allow me to air UP both sides simultaneously with my high volume portable compressor. his only concern (not the bolts) was the brackets. he has installed these on 2 ford expedition limo's and said the brackets were the weak link, not the bolts. we shall see.

i'm don't plan on having 10-15 drunk's going to prom in the back, so i think i'm gonna be alright........

edit: my mech rec'd 65 pounds off road. we'll see

David K - 8-2-2009 at 02:46 PM

bump for desertcpl

desertcpl - 8-2-2009 at 04:14 PM

thanks DK,, interesting tread.. all of you bring alot of experience to the table,, very interesting reading,,

no use for me to reinvent the whell

woody with a view - 8-2-2009 at 06:04 PM

20 psi seems to be optimal for light trips/daily driving. can't wait to air up for the 9 day bringing-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink trip in november.

msteve1014 - 8-3-2009 at 06:37 PM

Woody, are you taking a new refer.? It is a big step up from an ice box. At some point you guys will see why there are 2 points to put in air, it"s like having a sway bar. If you put in a tee, the air will move from side to side as the truck leans over, and not help with the rolling. It is more of a deal if you have a camper, or other weight up high. I always bring the kitchen sink when we go.:D

David K - 10-12-2009 at 08:39 AM

It has been over 2 years now since I first reported here on the Ride Rite installation to improve the Tacoma rear suspension... Many Baja trips in the 2 years, plus daily irrigation work... NO PROBLEMS to report! Daily use pressure is about 20 psi and Baja Trip with ice chests, etc. 35-45 psi.

UPDATE

woody with a view - 12-31-2009 at 04:47 PM

i have been having a CLUNK sound audible from the cab for the past few months. when it raines and everything is wet the sound is gone. going over a speed bump in a parking lot or pulling away from a stop or bouncing on the bumper would replicate the annoying sound.

a buddy crawled under and whilst i bounced he narrowed it to the right side airbag mounting shackle/bracket. we let out all the air and notice the mounting lock nutz on the shackle/bracket were somewhat loose. the left side were not as loose but both sides were tightened up and the clunk is gone! it must have been the break in and settling of the new bags. the bags run at 40 lbs during baja trips and the noise was gone. when i unload them to 15-20 around town the noise returned. the rain this winter threw a curve into the diagnosis process....

:biggrin: 5 more weeks!

David K - 12-31-2009 at 04:52 PM

I had the air bags removed from my '05 Tacoma when I got the '10 three weeks ago... First desert run with the '10 last weekend was impressive... Seems that Toyota re-tuned the suspension and may-be I won't need to install the air bags on it? I won't know for sure until I get some weight in the back and drive over some bumps.

Follow up on the 2010 Tacoma suspention:

After the Mision Sta Maria run in May, two Baja trips including the Gonzaga Bay road in July, and Las Pintas a week and a half ago... I can confidently say that Toyota solved the soft rear spring issue with the springs installed on my 2010 (made at the Baja California plant) Tacoma.

[Edited on 9-29-2010 by David K]