BajaNomad

Allegations at Coco's Corner?

Hook - 3-13-2004 at 08:56 PM

Anyone see the allegations in the latest Chubasco newsletter about flat tires being purposely caused by Coco?

Is this possible? I am skeptical. :O

Didn't see it, and find it highly unlikely

Debra - 3-13-2004 at 09:02 PM

What is the alleged motive?

Hook - 3-13-2004 at 09:14 PM

Repair by him, according to the poster.

His main livelihood does seem to be services on vehicles passing by.

Has anyone else "suddenly" had a flat in the vicinity? Certainly, many on this board travel that route.

jeans - 3-13-2004 at 09:22 PM

Be wary of allegators, Hook

Hook - 3-13-2004 at 09:34 PM

Not trying to drain any swamps. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Not like the Vag newsletter to publish unsubstantiated claims.

I took a look at Vagabundos

Debra - 3-13-2004 at 09:37 PM

and didn't see anything on the on line"Chubasco"

This really needs to be cleared up ASAP! Yes, I think that Coco does get his livelyhood from travelers, (I learned now)but, anytime I've been there he down plays any purchase from him, in fact the first time I was there (with a group of about 20 something) I took our 'leader' aside and asked "would it be okay if we asked to buy a beer from him, or would it be an imposition?, or rude to ask" "or should we?" Since that time (3yrs. ago) I now know......YEAH! (I'm not a Beer drinker normally) get the children's feet traced, buy a cervasa, and sit back and enjoy! I just can't imagine that something like flats is happening on purpose.

Can you post the report here? Thanks, Debra

Mike Humfreville - 3-13-2004 at 09:40 PM

We go by there several times a year and have never had a flat nearby. If I (the Flat Tire King) can avoid problems then everyone should. Doesn't make much sense as nail flats usually take hours or days to notice. Can someone post a link to the article???

[Edited on 3-14-2004 by Mike Humfreville]

Debra - 3-13-2004 at 09:52 PM

I already asked for a link Mike :saint:, we really need to get to the "real" facts ASAP!....this could put Coco in a really bad situation, REALLY QUICKLY! PLEASE, before a man's livelyhood is trashed...let's get some facts and feedback from people that have known Coco and from others with a problem, let's not trash his livelyhood with one report! PLEASE! Debra

Hi Deb

Mike Humfreville - 3-13-2004 at 10:24 PM

While it would be nice to get more information, I doubt it will have any impact on Coco's welfare. The few of us that travel those lonely roads know for ourselves that even if something like nails in the road happened it was caused by an accident rather than on purpose.

bufeo - 3-13-2004 at 10:42 PM

I read the letter in Chubasco as well from a Paul Draper. It's on p. 11 of the March issue.

I too am skeptical. We travel by Jorge's (Coco's) frequently and have never seen him "standing by the road...signalling." If we don't stop he always waves, and only once he flagged me down to take something to Pedro at Rancho Grande.

In fact, I was a little surprised to see this type of allegation printed without some corraboration on the part of the eds. of Chubasco.

Those of you who have had the experience of hearing an approaching vehicle on a dirt/gravel road know fully well that the sound of a tire going flat is singularly different. It's quite possible that Jorge could have heard the same sound and signalled the passing motorist.

Many inexperienced drivers on dirt roads have no idea what a low tire feels or sounds like.

Two years ago I overtook a traveler and as I pulled up behind noticed that his left rear tire was pretty flat compared to the other two that I could see. Holding the steering wheel in a death grip, the driver slowed a bit and pulled over to let me pass but would not lower his window as I signaled to him to stop.

I passed and pulled enough ahead to stop safely and get out. The idiot nearly hit me as he went by without so much as pausing. Actually, his speed was barely above a pause anyway.

I re-entered my truck, caught up with him again and yelled to him as I passed the second time and pointed to his left rear tire.

Still no response, so I shrugged it off and continued on my way.

David K - 3-14-2004 at 01:50 AM

It's a bunch of bull...

The point you all are missing is that Coco DOESN'T REPAIR TIRES!!!

I did get a flat about 5 miles from Coco's heading south (last December). It was from a sharp rock, me driving fast, and fully inflated tires. I stopped at Coco's and told him... He said nothing about fixing it, because he DOESN'T DO THAT. Took care of it at Laguna Chapala.

MICK - 3-14-2004 at 09:09 AM

I agreed with Bufeo. You can here a flat on a dirt road I'm sure Coco has heard his share. I also read that article and thought that Mr. Draper must have been mistaken. The many times We've been by there Coco has been nothing but nice. It's a good thing we can put this to rest knowing the truth by the number of people who have written here.
Happy trails
Mick

David K - 3-14-2004 at 11:46 AM

To have a look at Coco's Corner: http://community-2.webtv.net/thebaja/coco (this is also listed in my new index (see bottom of this post)...:yes:

but he does have the coldest Pacificos in town

BajaVida - 3-14-2004 at 01:43 PM

for $2 I got an icy Pacifico

he is a nice man

Coco

thebajarunner - 3-14-2004 at 04:07 PM

Yeah, and I bet he was responsible for the last hurricane that hit La Paz (sent it down there so all the tourists would come see him) and no doubt he has something to do with travellers running out of gas on the Gonzaga road.
Spare Me!!!
Good old boy, and with a cooler jammed full of cervezas, it is still a pleasure to fork over $2 for one of his cold ones.
Viva Coco!! You da man...

Baja Arriba!!

pappy - 3-14-2004 at 05:37 PM

when I read that story in the Chubasco, I thought it was a mistake OR that the author had alterior motives.Most likely a huge misinterpretation of what and wher it happened.

Well, I'm really glad this is going the way it is......

Debra - 3-14-2004 at 10:28 PM

NOW?..... Could someone please return Coco's book from Aug. 2001?

4baja - 3-15-2004 at 07:05 AM

coco does not repair tires but does sell one hell of a cold beer and hes a great story teller. got a flat last year at a corner that he warned us about,we were going to fast and one tire slid of the road.(boom):coolup:

Newbie says "No Way"!

yankeeirishman - 3-15-2004 at 08:22 AM

I'm a real newbie, never driven to Baja, but done my intense research on the land. All I have ever read (in darn near every book)...is this wonderful Coco?s place (and himself). As a research "(expert!)"...I don?t believe this guy is setting flat tires. We plan to drive straight to his place for a soda next week! Look for the white safari Land Rover!

wilderone - 3-15-2004 at 10:58 AM

Yankee: the families who live in the "middle of nowhere" in Baja really appreciate "donations" of any kind. If you are inclined, you can bring "stuff" to give away - pasta, canned goods, soap, crayons for children, etc. An occasion always presents itself for these "exchanges." The soldiers at the checkpoints also appreciate sodas, mexican newspaper, chips, etc.

Stuff animals

yankeeirishman - 3-15-2004 at 11:06 AM

Oh yes! I already have mini stuff animals for the kids! I have traveled mainland intensely (Tulume area) via Air n? Taxi. This is a first (for me) to visit Baja, and for driving ?in?. The care packages for the adults is always ?what I have, what they need, they get?. No takes on the wife yet! Hey?thanks for the advisement!

[Edited on 3-15-2004 by yankeeirishman]

David K - 3-15-2004 at 01:14 PM

From my Van 1 trip web page, the gang at Coco's on July 5, 2001: Desert Rat, Debra (Travelpearl), Coco, Sarah K, & David Eidell, in this shot...

David K - 3-15-2004 at 01:55 PM

From my Baja 15 web page, a photo sent in from John M of his wife Barbara cutting Coco's hair... Does this look like a man who set out boobie traps to cause tourist problems?