BajaNomad

South of Puertocitos

Edguero - 10-11-2007 at 08:05 AM

Drove from Gonzaga yesterday. lots of surveyors, people and tractors pushing dirt around, maybe the paved road really is coming.

Minnow - 10-11-2007 at 09:14 AM

:no:

baitcast - 10-11-2007 at 03:29 PM

:no::no::no: The drive down was always half the fun,one of the last of the sweet spots.........Gone,it had to happen I guess.

DianaT - 10-11-2007 at 03:46 PM

I keep thinking about the people we met earlier this year by Alfonsina's. When we asked them about plans for building that road, they just laughed and said not in a hundred years.

They own homes on the leased land there---one year leases. They said they were not concerned at all. Not only would the road not be built, but their leases had been renewed every year for many, many years.

I would be very concerned. :no: It is such a beautiful place.

Diane

[Edited on 10-11-2007 by jdtrotter]

Bob H - 10-11-2007 at 03:55 PM

In my opinion, this time it's happening. Let's see what it does for the Mexican's who live around there. There will be jobs for many of them who need the work. Progress is just gonna happen, no big deal. Just enjoy what you can while you can, no problema! You will ALWAYS have the memories, just like the old timers who have all their stories from the 50's and 60's, before the main road was paved at all.
Just my two centavos.... Bob H

DianaT - 10-11-2007 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
In my opinion, this time it's happening. Let's see what it does for the Mexican's who live around there. There will be jobs for many of them who need the work. Progress is just gonna happen, no big deal. Just enjoy what you can while you can, no problema! You will ALWAYS have the memories, just like the old timers who have all their stories from the 50's and 60's, before the main road was paved at all.
Just my two centavos.... Bob H

I agree with you about the possible positive side of building this road. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Diane

Skipjack Joe - 10-11-2007 at 05:44 PM

Que lastima.

Bwana_John - 10-17-2007 at 07:42 AM

Like Mama Espanosa said, "Bad road, good people"

Bob H - 1-19-2008 at 04:41 PM

Any update on the start of construction on this project? The San Felipe web site only states 2008 to 2010.
Bob H

bajalou - 1-19-2008 at 06:49 PM

They have started in Puertecitos already. Building a road around the town (to the west). Only a mile or two but it's started

smlslikfish - 1-20-2008 at 05:48 PM

It's taken app. 8 months to do the roadbed around puerticitos, a distance of about 1/2 mile. At that rate we've got quite a while to enjoy things as they are. Also the road between laguna percebu and puerticitos is already breaking down. It's about 18 months old. I'm hopeful!!!!

New Road!

MexMike - 3-27-2008 at 01:40 PM

Drove from Puertocitos to Laguna Chapala last week. Road was slightly worse than a couple of years ago, but I was loaded for bear and had to go slow. However, they are definitely starting on the paving project at the Puertocitos end. Just before town they've graded a straight road to the West of town. Lots of trucks and graders. Now I know, it's just a beginning. But that's what we said about power in LA Bay and now it's there! Still think it would take 2-3 years at best to complete. If I was doing it, I'd start at the same time at Laguna Chapala and head North - easier stretch to work with.

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 06:13 PM

BAJACAT - 4-13-2008 at 09:40 PM

!What! they are going to take this away from the road,it's not going to be fun driving it again.but it will be quick.

Gonzaga bay trip Memorial Day 5-07 072.JPG - 46kB

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
!What! they are going to take this away from the road,it's not going to be fun driving it again.but it will be quick.

That is a terrible washout. The last time I went through there with the mile long group of Jeeps and SUVs, we encountered a semi truck going up the road with a single trailer attached! Washouts like these would be difficult to navigate a big rig on this stretch of "road".

lobogrande - 5-11-2008 at 01:13 PM

any more info on the actual road condition?

we drove it north last june and it was ROUGHER than i had seen it in 10 years. muy malo!

same this may as last june??? worse?

thanks!

dave

David K - 5-11-2008 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lobogrande
any more info on the actual road condition?

we drove it north last june and it was ROUGHER than i had seen it in 10 years. muy malo!

same this may as last june??? worse?

thanks!

dave

Dave, this was posted 2 days ago... nice trip report with phots: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31310

baja829 - 5-12-2008 at 12:27 AM

Just a comment about the road between Percebu and Puertecitos - It's more than 4 yrs old. It's a great road, except for 2 things -- big trucks bringing rock, sand, etc., to San Felipe and fast travelers who bottom out in the dips and tear them up. All holes are quickly repaired however, something that didn't happen in the past. We've been driving it for more than 20 yrs. I guess I should leave well enough alone and if people think it's bad -- less people????