BajaNomad

The Border

SUNDOG - 11-10-2007 at 11:17 PM

The U.S. Mexico Border
http://blip.tv/file/476707

DENNIS - 11-11-2007 at 06:57 AM

Pretty pathetic border picture, isn't it. I hope it isn't presented as seperate of the conditions that cause it. The border chaos is a symptom of a grave illness in Mexico's economy. Is there any real reason to believe that will change given the boost to their economy that this ugly border scene is part of?

Bob and Susan - 11-11-2007 at 07:06 AM

don

that was very good...

i spent some time on your others too

keep it up

vandenberg - 11-11-2007 at 07:20 AM

Like they moved the Berlin wall.
Will they put up the machine gun towers next.:?::?:

bajabound2005 - 11-11-2007 at 09:15 AM

"Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall" Ronald Reagan, June 12, 1987.

BYW, Sundog, the music on that video is great. What is it?

Bob H - 11-11-2007 at 09:29 AM

The shot of the guy pole vaulting over the border is classic!
Bob H

Bruce R Leech - 11-11-2007 at 09:51 AM

nicely done Sun dog

Natalie Ann - 11-11-2007 at 10:33 AM

Very well done, Sundog!

That place where the fence runs across the beach and into the Pacific always brings tears to my eyes.... leaves me feeling embarrassed for my fellow man.

Paula - 11-11-2007 at 10:43 AM

Very moving pictures, Sundog!

I wish we could move people across the border in a safer and more humane way. I think tearing down the fence could be a good start.

toneart - 11-11-2007 at 12:02 PM

Nice production, Sundog. It reminds me of Diane Arbus' bleak photographs of sad, destitute and desperate people in this, the land of plenty. Don's photos depict a shameful symbol of destitution, desperation, hostility, cultural disrespect and death; an ugly governmental obstruction of Freedom, faulted by both sides.

I often think that chronicles like this should be sealed in a time capsule, but then I am reminded that future generations will be neither shocked nor surprised by this cultural aberration. They will have some of their own. Man doesn't learn lessons from history.
:no:

DENNIS - 11-11-2007 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Nice production, Sundog. It reminds me of Diane Arbus' bleak photographs of sad, destitute and desperate people in this, the land of plenty.

Hold on, Tony. Arbus didn't shoot sad, desperate or destitute people. She chose as a subject unusual people. Dwarfs and Giants, hoars and transvestites. They had shock value but that wasn't her point. Hers was that they are people, pure and simple. In that, your comparison holds true. These are just people.
Interesting side-bar here.......Remember Dr. Sydney Whatever, the shrink on the Mash series? He was her husband. You probably knew that.

toneart - 11-11-2007 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Nice production, Sundog. It reminds me of Diane Arbus' bleak photographs of sad, destitute and desperate people in this, the land of plenty.

Hold on, Tony. Arbus didn't shoot sad, desperate or destitute people. She chose as a subject unusual people. Dwarfs and Giants, hoars and transvestites. They had shock value but that wasn't her point. Hers was that they are people, pure and simple. In that, your comparison holds true. These are just people.
Interesting side-bar here.......Remember Dr. Sydney Whatever, the shrink on the Mash series? He was her husband. You probably knew that.

You are right, Dennis! (There, I said it). I took another look at Diane Arbus. I have seen photojournalistic works of hers that depicted sad, desperate people, but mostly she was known as you say. Nevertheless, they depressed me........and she did slit her own wrists and died. Don't know about the husband reference.

Barry A. - 11-11-2007 at 03:09 PM

Interesting pictures, some sad, but all appropriate and realistic.

Fences are like intersection traffic signals---------they contribute order to a chaotic situation. Would those who advocate the removal of "fences" also like to remove "traffic signals"?

Traffic signals don't deter all violators, but they go a long way in controlling the situation. Fences, tho regrettable and far from a a complete solution to the problem, do the same thing--------it is a step (one of many needed) in the right direction.

So, what's the problem, and why are we STILL discussing it?

barry

Paula - 11-11-2007 at 03:38 PM

Traffic signals allow people to go from place to place in a safe and orderly way. I've never seen one that says some people can pass through the intersection and others can't. Everybody just waits their turn, and then they go. Fences don't enable safe passage, they create arbitrary lines that some can cross, and others cannot, often dependent on economic status.

I know, Iknow.... the US border is not an arbitrary line...:rolleyes:

Barry A. - 11-11-2007 at 03:45 PM

Paula------

-----and just who is able to cross the fence? Nobody, that I am aware of, legally that is. All must channel to a LEGAL crossing point, prove that they are "LEGAL", and then they can cross.

I don't understand you analogy?

Paula - 11-11-2007 at 04:23 PM

Barry, I don't understand your analogy either. I thought that the purpose of a traffic signal was not to "deter violators", but simply to keepcars from crashing into one another in busy places. you and I have gone around the border issue enough in past threads. We just have to agree to disagree.

DENNIS - 11-11-2007 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Traffic signals allow people to go from place to place in a safe and orderly way.

Yes..Yes...Yes. That is what LEGAL immigration is. An effort to have immigration in an orderly way just like Paula's traffic signals. How can LEGAL immigration be confused with millions of people crossing the line outside of the proper gate?
How can people here say that the border enforcement is wrong or in some cases racist?
What is the reference to the Berlin Wall? Are we restricting democracy by protecting our borders?

I would venture a guess that the liberals here havn't lived in a community in the states that was taken over by a different culture. For you that say, "So what", I say you have no community pride. You have no American pride. You have no pride at all, unless giving America away is what you're proud of.
Tommorow is Veterans Day. I fought for this country. I don't like seeing it given away.

Bob and Susan - 11-11-2007 at 05:30 PM

"Tommorow is Veterans Day"
no dennis
today is veterans day!!!

its a holiday that NEVER changes its day
Nov 11th ALWAYS

Paula - 11-11-2007 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Traffic signals allow people to go from place to place in a safe and orderly way.

Yes..Yes...Yes. That is what LEGAL immigration is. An effort to have immigration in an orderly way just like Paula's traffic signals. How can LEGAL immigration be confused with millions of people crossing the line outside of the proper gate?
How can people here say that the border enforcement is wrong or in some cases racist?
What is the reference to the Berlin Wall? Are we restricting democracy by protecting our borders?

I would venture a guess that the liberals here havn't lived in a community in the states that was taken over by a different culture. For you that say, "So what", I say you have no community pride. You have no American pride. You have no pride at all, unless giving America away is what you're proud of.
Tommorow is Veterans Day. I fought for this country. I don't like seeing it given away.

Those were Barry's traffic signals, Dennis, not mine. I have a hard time with the whole idea of borders. To me the concept is obsolete, especially where we share a continent with our neighbors. I grew up in a midwestern American city that was culturally enriched by the variety of ethnicity in diverse neighborhoods. I don't think that sharing and giving away are the same, and I think that soldiers have historically fought to preserve a nation founded on principle, that is so much more than a piece of land within a set of borders.

By the way, I liked what you had to say about Diane Arbus. :yes:

DENNIS - 11-11-2007 at 06:25 PM

Yeah..I know. I just stood corrected on another thread. Next year, 1986, it changes because of the moon and other things. So don't think you know everything.

That was for my buddy Bob...Not you Mi Amiga Paula

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by DENNIS]

Barry A. - 11-11-2007 at 06:28 PM

If you want "open borders", then change the existing law.

Until then to not enforce the law is tantamount to anarchy, and confusion, and chaos.

You know------RULE OF LAW--------- :tumble:

Paula - 11-11-2007 at 06:45 PM

Yes, Barry. RULE OF LAW:biggrin:

DENNIS - 11-11-2007 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
If you want "open borders", then change the existing law.

Yeah.. good idea. Change the laws to say that, We have a border, a boundry, which will not be violated except by Mexicans who , with their governments blessing, will walk across at will without proper documentation, and proceed to Los Angeles to march in the streets insisting on their rights, human and otherwise.
Oh yeah, by the way....If I were to be apprehended crossing the border in the south/north direction, I would be incarcerated and my US life would be ruined. I wouldn't get a flight to Guadalajara. I'd get a ride to county jail. And I'm a war-torn veteran.
There's some Yankee Doodle inconsistences here.

Paula - 11-11-2007 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah..I know. I just stood corrected on another thread. Next year, 1986, it changes because of the moon and other things. So don't think you know everything.

That was for my buddy Bob...Not you Mi Amiga Paula

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by DENNIS]

I knew that, Dennis. I'm glad you saw the post and still call me amiga:dudette:

DENNIS - 11-11-2007 at 08:38 PM

Always...Por seguro.

Bajafun777 - 11-11-2007 at 09:56 PM

Yea, if you remember right West Germany had one of the strongest economies at the time, so when they tore the wall down and everyone from the East ran into the West it almost bankrupted the country. This occured even with other countries giving assistance both in monies and services. The U.S.A. kept being the biggest money source and still keeps giving dollars and military support. Our dollar is hurting now and isn't it ironic that other countries are not wanting to keep buying dollars but other currencies such as the current German dollar. We cannot keep raising taxes to pay for all of these social programs and be daddy warbucks to every other country including Mexico. We give our tourist dollars, assist in business ventures, etc, etc, etc to Mexico and other countries. Sorry, having no strong border control is just plain trouble and poor thinking. No fight be happy , pop a cold one and just relax it's all good.

Slowmad - 11-12-2007 at 10:25 AM

Context-free stock photos and gags, schlocky edit "wipes," and the sort of music you'd here in the organ section of the Davenport, Iowa Sears-Roebuck...
Can I have my five minutes back?