BajaNomad

B1K '07

Paulina - 11-12-2007 at 07:19 PM

I may be the only person on the Nomad board who is pouting because they're stateside and not down in Baja for the race.
But, just in case there are others out there in the same situation, I thought I'd post a few photos that were emailed to me late this afternoon.
These are from today's Contingency. I asked for more, but I have a feeling that Monday night football is taking precedence!

A wheelchair with attitude:

"Munchie's" car:

Pabloff's car:

Because we want to keep our truck, the boys hitched a ride into Ensenada with a friend, then took a taxi home at the end of the day.
Tomorrow they may take the "Micro" to get to the start.
Like I said, wishing I were there.
P<*)))><

[Edited on 13-11-2007 by Paulina]

capt. mike - 11-12-2007 at 08:11 PM

va va va vroom!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah baby...........
shagadelicioso!!!!!!!!!!

can't wait to get to cabo fri!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elgatoloco - 11-12-2007 at 09:29 PM

Thanks for the pics.

I am currently south. Way south.

Birmingham, Alabama:(

Tell the boys to have fun!

ps look at the little boy on the left of the photo. :lol:

Paulina - 11-12-2007 at 10:50 PM

Too funny EGL, I didn't even notice that boy! I was too busy noticing how their eye shadow make up was a perfect color match to their tops, and wondering if the girl on the right was wearing pony tails!
It's a girl thing I guess....

They have more photos, but MNF and a dinner invite to one of the race crew's houses took priority.

Next year lets make sure that we ALL go south, Baja south that is!

P<*)))><

bajawife - 11-13-2007 at 12:24 AM

I'm pouting here...My husband is racing again and I'm missing it-again!

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 09:49 AM

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35848

Bajawife,
So I'm not the only one missing out! What is your husband's #, and are you listening along to Weatherman as well?
Link provided, although I'm sure you probably already have it.

P<*)))><

bajaandy - 11-13-2007 at 10:28 AM

Well, you're not the only one missing the action. I just couldn't justify taking this week AND next week off also. Otherwise I'd be down there with my amigo at the Catavina BFG pit. Oh well... like you said, next year for sure.

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 03:14 PM

2:10 Code red. Helicopter just went down near Mike's Sky Rancho.
2 fatalities, 2 critical.

Lots of confusion regarding the helo crash. The two fatalities were in the copter, 2 critical injuries were spectators.

Edguero - 11-13-2007 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
2:10 Code red. Helicopter just went down near Mike's Sky Rancho.
2 fatalities, 2 critical.

2 americans in copter fatal, 2 mexicans on ground critical, possibly race team 133

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 04:51 PM

From this link you can listen to the live Weatherman feed, and follow the thread for updates.

P<*)))><

not good!!!!!!!!!!

capt. mike - 11-13-2007 at 07:18 PM

:09 pm CHASE HELICOPTER DOWN AT MIKE'S SKY RANCH ROAD, 1/2 mile from Hwy 3
2 fatalities; first thought to be McMillan Air Copter - they are confirmed OKAY. Was chase helicocopter for team #133, Warrior Racing. ID took a while to confirm. "Too wadded up to tell..."

Fatalities were pilot and co-pilot; two local spectators on the ground critically injured.

Hwy will be shut down for rescue helicopters to land.

Edguero - 11-13-2007 at 08:06 PM

Head on collision on hwy1 south of El Rosario, CA plates 2 chase vehicles

chase vehicle 106 is there don't know if it is one of them

[Edited on 11-14-2007 by Edguero]

BAJACAT - 11-13-2007 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Thanks for the pics.

I am currently south. Way south.

Birmingham, Alabama:(

Tell the boys to have fun!

ps look at the little boy on the left of the photo. :lol:
Oh boy Tomas you have a good eye my friend.
And Paulina thank youuuuuuuuuuuu for the first picture, you just made my day.
Im sorry for the people involve in the accident, :(:(

Edguero - 11-13-2007 at 08:32 PM

Current Trophy Truck running order & approx mile marker:
Cadiente, 360; Baldwin, 359; Vildosola, 347; Herbst, 338; Norman 334; GORDON 326

Current Trophy Truck standings as of 10:36 PM
1. Cadiente, 535;
2. Baldwin, 530;
3. Vildosola, 506;
4. Herbst, 488;
5. Norman, 488.
6. ROBBY GORDON, 483.
7. Arciero, 481.

As of 6:45 AM

1. Post, 983;
2. Vildosola, 983;
3. Ragland, 940 (?);
4. Cadiente, 932;
5. Baldwin, 912;
6. Lucas; 908;
7. GORDON, 900

TMW - 11-14-2007 at 04:34 PM

Wow, I didn't know anyone died in the helo crash. I left the Trinidad area about 4pm and had heard there were two injured in the crash. The helo was refueled by the 133 chase team at El Jamual about 15 minutes before the crash. I was next to their pit and helped them tear down and followed them out and heard of the crash on the weatherman channel. At the time they said there were two injured and being taken to the BFG pit at Mike's turn off. When I drove by there were red lights at the wreck about a 1/4 mile down Mike's road from hwy 3. I wonder if it was fuel related?

Paulina - 11-14-2007 at 04:42 PM

TW,
It was reported that they hit power lines.
P.

TMW - 11-14-2007 at 04:55 PM

Thanks Paulina. That's really bad when anyone dies, especially in an accident like that. They may have been following their race car. It pitted just after the helo took off.

Bob and Susan - 11-14-2007 at 05:18 PM

you can't believe how many trucks cars and campers with race stuff are driving south today thru mulege....WOW:bounce:

Hook - 11-14-2007 at 05:26 PM

Talk about pride of ownership.................and there's no car in sight.

DENNIS - 11-14-2007 at 05:46 PM

This race is going to outgrow itself. It's turning into a monster.

Paulina - 11-14-2007 at 07:12 PM

Wheew Grover,

For a minute there I thought you were trying to tell me something....

(*)(*) !!>*)))><

Helo crash

BajaRob - 11-15-2007 at 07:58 AM

We were about 200 yards from the point of impact. The helicopter was following a Class 1 car at about 25-30 feet above the deck when it struck the transmission line. It crashed immediately. There was an ambulance stationed at the highway 3/ Mike's Sky Ranch road junction and they took the survivors to meet an air evac. When we returned to San Felipe, the town was without electricity. Very eerie.

brodeal - 11-15-2007 at 08:25 AM

Really, really sad.

I wonder if this is an indication that things are getting too big.

55steve - 11-15-2007 at 09:18 AM

From a friend of mine in the BFG pit:

"We are home now and yes the helicopter crash happened close to us, in fact the ambulance brought the patients to our pit, one from the helicopter and 1 spectator from the ground. Two helicopters transported both of the patients out of our pit. The other victims one from the helicopter and a spectator did not make it. My understanding is the helicopter hit a power line, could be wrong that is just what I heard, we were very busy in the pit (over 1500 gallons of fuel delivered). I wish I could have assisted in what ever way possible with the accidents though.

My prayers go out to people who have lost family, friends etc...or who may lose people close to them as the race is not even close to being finished. My heart goes out to all of you."

Roberto - 11-15-2007 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
When we returned to San Felipe, the town was without electricity. Very eerie.

The electrical company shut down the power (and the race course from the Highway to Mike's) to fix the lines.

Stolen Bodies

fdt - 11-15-2007 at 11:56 AM

As reported since Tuesday on the radio show, in regards to the crash of the helicopter, it hit or tangled on power lines and that risrupted the lights in San Felipe, now the most interesting part is that last night an armed comando traveling in about 15 vehcles and with 60 to 80 men asaulted the morgue and stole the two bodies of the crash, they fled and dumped one of the bodies and shot and killed 2 police officers and secuestered 2 forensic doctors. At first it was said that El Tiburon from the Arellano Felix cartel was one of the dead but now PGR is confirming that it was El Abulon, Luis Merardo León Hinojosa, #1 on the cartel after El Tigrillo was captured. :wow:
http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/15112...

Paulina - 11-15-2007 at 01:30 PM

Regarding the Helicopter crash:

If that's the case, I'm sure it is going to raise a lot of red flags for the car/team they were chasing. Makes one wonder where they get their funding? It would be curious to know if that car ended up being dnf after the accident as I would think PGR would be waiting for them at the finish line.
P.

edit: talking about the helo crash, not the El Rosario accident.

[Edited on 15-11-2007 by Paulina]

Baja_Girl - 11-15-2007 at 02:31 PM

Paulina,
I can't find Baja Bug Car #575 - my friend Pajaro Loco - on any internet site - could you post on race dezert - "Word on Bird?" - I heard he is having car troubles - but I just want to know he is okay...please !!!
lisa

Roberto - 11-15-2007 at 02:35 PM

He was reported through BFG Pit #9 at RM 1106.10 after 43:58:30 hours of racing. Still in it.

Paulina - 11-15-2007 at 02:57 PM

I found what Roberto posted, reported through Amarilla.

I also asked on RD. You can follow the question in the Desert Racing Forum on the 1000 Thread, on pg. 424.

FYI, the finish closes at 6pm tonight.
P.

[Edited on 15-11-2007 by Paulina]

Bruce R Leech - 11-15-2007 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
As reported since Tuesday on the radio show, in regards to the crash of the helicopter, it hit or tangled on power lines and that risrupted the lights in San Felipe, now the most interesting part is that last night an armed comando traveling in about 15 vehcles and with 60 to 80 men asaulted the morgue and stole the two bodies of the crash, they fled and dumped one of the bodies and shot and killed 2 police officers and secuestered 2 forensic doctors. At first it was said that El Tiburon from the Arellano Felix cartel was one of the dead but now PGR is confirming that it was El Abulon, Luis Merardo León Hinojosa, #1 on the cartel after El Tigrillo was captured. :wow:
http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/15112...

this story smells of Baja rumors out of control

Bruce R Leech - 11-15-2007 at 04:20 PM

fdt where did you here this?

bajalou - 11-15-2007 at 04:25 PM

A Question - are we talking 2 separate helicopter crashes?

Bruce R Leech - 11-15-2007 at 04:27 PM

I don't know it kind of sounds like it. but we don't have any facts.

Hook - 11-15-2007 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A

One of the crew is alive in an Ensenada hospital being guarded by local police.

The guy's toast. :no:

Bruce R Leech - 11-15-2007 at 04:39 PM

Hose A was there 4 in the not race bird? the race bird had 2 .

Roberto - 11-15-2007 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Oh for Christ sake I give up.
This will by my last post on this subject.

IT WAS TWO SEPARATE CHOPPER CRASHES.

TWO IN THE BAJA 1000 CHOPPER THAT WERE KILLED.

FOUR IN THE CARTEL CHOPPER ..ONE CONFIRMED DEAD ...ONE CONFIRMED ALIVE AND UNDER GUARD.

My step son who is State Police called to say his brother in law who is Ensenada Municipal police is on guard at the hospital.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Careful Hose A, you're close to getting yourself in trouble. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 11-15-2007 at 05:10 PM

Apologies for the offense, Hose A, for my remarks directed at the competency of the local police.

DENNIS - 11-15-2007 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
[I need to stay off the computer until my day gets better.

If you were down here, I'd be popping the Pacificos.

Minnow - 11-15-2007 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Oh for Christ sake I give up.
This will by my last post on this subject.

IT WAS TWO SEPARATE CHOPPER CRASHES.

TWO IN THE BAJA 1000 CHOPPER THAT WERE KILLED.

FOUR IN THE CARTEL CHOPPER ..ONE CONFIRMED DEAD ...ONE CONFIRMED ALIVE AND UNDER GUARD.

My step son who is State Police called to say his brother in law who is Ensenada Municipal police is on guard at the hospital.

That is one incredible coincidence. :lol:

Pops - 11-15-2007 at 07:12 PM

I saw this, however my Spanglish is not so good:
"MEXICALI, Baja California(PH)

El cadáver rescatado anoche por un comando armado en el Servicio Médico Forense (Semefo) en Ensenada es el de Luis Merardo León Hinojosa, alias "El Abulón", uno de los líderes del cártel Arellano Félix.

Informes obtenidos por este diario señalan que personal de la Procuraduría General de la República (PGR) procedente de la ciudad de México llegó a Ensenada, para confirmar si se trataba del narcotraficante.

Trascendió que León Hinojosa había quedado a cargo del cártel de los Arellano Félix, a raíz de la captura por autoridades norteamericanas de Francisco Javier Arellano Félix (a) "El Tigrillo", quien acaba de ser condenado a cadena perpetua en Estados Unidos.

León Hinojosa murió el martes pasado cuando viajaba en un helicóptero para seguir a participantes de la carrera fuera del camino denominada Baja Mil, que partió de Ensenada hacia el Sur de la península.

Al menos doce vehículos con unos 50 hombres armados sacaron el cadáver de las instalaciones del Semefo y en la huída asesinaron a dos policías municipales en el poblado Francisco Zarco, municipio de Ensenada.

Hasta esta mañana no habían sido localizados los integrantes del Comando, quienes huyeron por una brecha hacia la ciudad de Tijuana.

Nota Publicada: 15/11/2007 09:51"

Bruce R Leech - 11-15-2007 at 07:13 PM

Hose a if you read fdt,s post you will see that it sorta made it sound like the race bird crew was a bunch of mafia. this concerned me because we just buried a member of our family that was killed in that crash and I did not want anyone thinking that he was one of the bad guys. some times it is important to keep the facts strait. thanks for clearing it up.

capt. mike - 11-15-2007 at 11:35 PM

2 crashes. 2 helos. one baja 133 class one support, other monkey biz??

elgatoloco - 11-16-2007 at 01:34 PM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20071116-9...

fdt - 11-16-2007 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Hose a if you read fdt,s post you will see that it sorta made it sound like the race bird crew was a bunch of mafia. this concerned me because we just buried a member of our family that was killed in that crash and I did not want anyone thinking that he was one of the bad guys. some times it is important to keep the facts strait. thanks for clearing it up.

Sorry to hear about the death in your family, it was an unfortunate accident. Was he the pilot or the copilot?

[Edited on 11-16-2007 by fdt]

Paulina - 11-16-2007 at 04:43 PM

Bruce,
I'm sorry that you lost a family member. My condolences to you and yours.
P.

Bruce R Leech - 11-16-2007 at 06:29 PM

thanks fdt and Paulina

bajawife - 11-17-2007 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Bajawife,
So I'm not the only one missing out! What is your husband's #, and are you listening along to Weatherman as well?
Link provided, although I'm sure you probably already have it.

P<*)))><

So sorry I didn't come back to respond to you...He was racing in class 1/2 1600, #1649. They did finish around 9 pm local time on Wed. night. A BIG relief for those of us wives that were left this side of the border w/ the kids to watch via Weatherman...The feeling that I get in my stomach everytime he says, CODE RED is horrible. :barf:
I was the US relay in case they couldn't get in touch w/ each other and I was one busy gal! Some issue at El Coyote that meant we had to be towed out to get fixed. But that was the only problem of the race...whew!
Now, for the long drive home which stresses me out just about as much as the race days do.
Thanks for posting the link...I had it up and running very early that morning-;)

bajawife - 11-17-2007 at 01:59 PM

Bruce, I'm very sorry for your loss....

Minnow - 11-17-2007 at 05:03 PM

Good to have you on Board, bajawife.

TMW - 11-21-2007 at 08:24 AM

B1K Helo crash on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxrKUEhMuIE

Helo in middle distance

TMW - 11-22-2007 at 10:15 AM

Helo-1.jpg - 20kB

See the cable upper left

TMW - 11-22-2007 at 10:18 AM