BajaNomad

The Baja California peninsula on a budget

Packoderm - 12-28-2002 at 12:39 AM

I am looking forward to exploring the Baja California peninsula starting this weekend. However, I am a student of modest means; I must exercise frugality at every opportunity. I have a question pertaining to the vultures that are abundant throughout the peninsula. Are they any good?

[Edited on 12-28-2002 by Packoderm]

[Edited on 12-28-2002 by Packoderm]

Stephanie Jackter - 12-28-2002 at 03:11 AM

To EAT?? Yuck!

Packoderm - 12-6-2006 at 07:36 PM

What did you think I meant?

fishbuck - 12-6-2006 at 07:47 PM

Although vultures might not be as tasty as desired they may be useful in guiding you to fresh road kill. Ofcourse shooing a hungry vulture away might be somewhat hazardous but could be worth the effort.

SAVE THE ROOSTERFISH!

DonBaja - 12-6-2006 at 08:04 PM

I've never tried Vulture, but I have eaten plenty of Crow :yes:

BajaNomad - 12-6-2006 at 08:10 PM

I thought you might've meant those timeshare salespeople....

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

salesman.jpg - 2kB

Natalie Ann - 12-6-2006 at 08:23 PM

vultures.... timeshare salesmen... can you tell the difference:?::light:

Vultures2a.jpg - 50kB

Bruce R Leech - 12-6-2006 at 10:16 PM

the secret is in the preparation they are a lot like a goose if you slow roast them.

Bob H - 12-6-2006 at 11:20 PM

Natalie Ann... wonderful photo... thanks for sharing. Personally, I would not eat them unless I skinned them, cleaned them out REAL good and smoked them over apple wood on my Weber! Now you're talk'n.
Bob H

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by Bob H]

Capt. George - 12-7-2006 at 06:05 AM

If you're a lawyer, you could try "professional courtesy" and just ask the vultures to move off the road kill.

gp

Crusoe - 12-7-2006 at 09:04 AM

Just ask yourself--" Why would I eat anything that subsists off human/animal fecal waste?????Hot infected roadkill!!!!Rotten Fish!!! You will absorb microbes and pass them onto that could be in the form of disease to other humans! And yourself!!! You can do no better than rice and beans and tortillas.So do as the Mexicans do.Its cheap.:?:

tripledigitken - 12-7-2006 at 09:12 AM

Natalie,

Again another outstanding photograph. Keep them coming.

Natalie Ann - 12-7-2006 at 09:31 AM

Bob and Ken - thanks for the photo kudos.
There was no reason to consider eating these guys... in the road nearby were two horses, freshly killed by some unlucky person's vehicle. Yum!:rolleyes::biggrin:

Cypress - 12-7-2006 at 09:36 AM

A new weight loss program!:light::light: Eat all the buzzard you want and take inches off your waistline!:lol:

tripledigitken - 12-7-2006 at 09:37 AM

Packoderm,

I would suggest a diet of bacon wrapped hot dogs. Cheap and filling. I like the melted cheese on mine.

Neal Johns Photo

David K - 12-7-2006 at 09:39 AM

From his trip with Marian: http://vivabaja.com/neal2

FARASHA - 12-7-2006 at 09:43 AM

NENA - I tried to get the Vultures on the posts as well ( I take it this is taken in Mulege on the River banks ?)- how did you get them so close UP?? I tried obviously not hard enough! Or did you use a different Lens!?(Tele)

bajalera - 12-7-2006 at 09:58 AM

Natalie Ann, I've never seen vultures looking so beautiful!

And Stephanie Jackter, welcome back--you've gone missing for a long time!

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by bajalera]

capt. mike - 12-7-2006 at 10:42 AM

ummmmm...........tastes like chicken!:wow:

if you grind them up good they can go in any casarole as a sub for most of today's mystery meat. when i was in the joint they served us something called "confinement loaf". it tasted like chicken kinda but made us lay around a lot doing nada except counting forearm hairs.:yawn:

Capt. George - 12-7-2006 at 10:59 AM

oooh, vulture on a stick, how original.

David K - 12-7-2006 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Natalie Ann, I've never seen vultures looking so beautiful!

And Stephanie Jackter, welcome back--you've gone missing for a long time!

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by bajalera]

Lee... this thread is from 2002! Stephanie hasn't come back sadly...

Packoderm responded 4 years later and that's what brought this to the top of 'Today's Posts'.

iclarke - 12-7-2006 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
I thought you might've meant those timeshare salespeople....

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

lol....

Natalie Ann - 12-7-2006 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
NENA - I tried to get the Vultures on the posts as well ( I take it this is taken in Mulege on the River banks ?)- how did you get them so close UP?? I tried obviously not hard enough! Or did you use a different Lens!?(Tele)

The photo was taken along the highway about half way between La Paz and Bahia Magdalena. Because of the early morning hour I guess the vultures needed to warm up, and because of the road kill they were not particularly inclined to move.

Because of prudent use of the photoshop cropping tool, I was able to create a close up picture. Now if only Doug would allow us to bump up the file size so that the resolution could be better...... :lol:

FYI here's the original shot:

Vultures1b.jpg - 47kB

Natalie Ann - 12-7-2006 at 12:15 PM

... and here's 1/2 the road kill. A twin to this one was in same position on the other side of the road... and I did get a photo of both of 'em lying there, but it sux (am I allowed to say sux?):

dead-horse.jpg - 45kB

Natalie Ann - 12-7-2006 at 12:17 PM

Thanks Hose A for fielding yesterday's old post begun by Tucker. I was pretty shocked when I opened today's posts and saw my dearly departed amigo there.

Packoderm - 12-7-2006 at 12:47 PM

Well, Bob H. started a new thread on pet photos, so all is good. I will post a photo or two when I get it resized. I surely didn't mean any insensitivity by popping up an old thread started by a late, beloved Nomad. I think it honors him more than anything else. Also, thanks everybody for all the good ideas.

Iflyfish - 12-7-2006 at 02:43 PM

Natalie, amazing photo, thanks for posting. They actually look beautiful in your photo.

As to the culinary virtues of Vultures. They do indeed taste like chicken. A little gamey, but delicious none the less. You must try them. I personaly like to use herbs de provance and a demiglase of orange with a mango chutney. Sometimes, if you are lucky, and they have been eating well, the chutney will already be there waiting for you in the crop. Now that depends of course on how long ago they were eating. Fresh of course is better than ones you just find laying around.

One of my Canadian friends calls Bald Eagles "Vultures in Tuxedos". Now eagles are a bit tougher and need slower cooking. You need to discard as much hubris as you can from their innards. They tend to be full of it. I don't know why it was chosen as the National Bird of the USofA when they had the turkey close at hand. They no doubt enjoyed the aggressive flavors more than more "modern" people do.

Iflyfishwhennothuntingvulturesandvulturesintuxedos

Ilfyfish

Bruce R Leech - 12-7-2006 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Just ask yourself--" Why would I eat anything that subsists off human/animal fecal waste?????Hot infected roadkill!!!!Rotten Fish!!! You will absorb microbes and pass them onto that could be in the form of disease to other humans! And yourself!!! You can do no better than rice and beans and tortillas.So do as the Mexicans do.Its cheap.:?:

if you have eaten chicken then you have eaten one of the dirtiest birds there are:lol:

tlove0725 - 12-14-2006 at 02:03 PM

Theres a little place south of san dangaloo at the edge of the river that serves some great tacos de vulture along with salsa de sesos de mosca. Try the caldo de pata de pescado while your there.