BajaNomad

Dia de Reyes Toy Drive

Pages:  1  

fdt - 12-4-2007 at 01:02 PM

To all Baja Nomads far and wide, it is time again to start with the planning of our "Secon Annual " toy drive for next January 6th. as most of you remember last year we adopted 112 less fortunate children to be recepients of gifts, as tradition in México marks that day as when the three Kings or 3 Wise Men came with gifts for the new born King.
Last years toy drive was very succesfull as we gathered over 300 presents of all sorts, from bicycles to Barbie dolls, stuffed animals to electric cars.
All of these children belong to a comunity known as Lomas Taurinas in Tijuana and 14 of them were children with special needs.
We are close to a month away from this so stay tuned for more details.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21378#pid1972...

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by fdt]

[Edited on 1-8-2008 by fdt]

[Edited on 1-8-2008 by fdt]

DianaT - 12-4-2007 at 01:25 PM

If you follow the link that Fernando posted and skip to page 4, you can read the great report about the event from Tripledigitken and from FDT (get out the kleenex)----also, there are some great picture.

If the first picture that is posted of the little girl is a real grabber. However, I remember more pictures of the happy children that were also wonderful. Are they in a different thread?

And I remember a special photo of a budding romance that started at that event between Fernando's daughter and Doug's son---is it still somewhere? Maybe they have new romances these days and don't want that photo to be shown. :lol::lol:

Good luck for this years drive.

Diane

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by jdtrotter]

Minnow - 12-4-2007 at 01:30 PM

Set up a Paypal account so I/we can send you some bucks. You and your wife are special people. Thanks.From Mr. and Mrs. Minnow.

Dia de Reyes pictures 2007

tripledigitken - 12-4-2007 at 01:54 PM

Diane,

Here is the link to the pictures I took.

Ken

http://dunken.smugmug.com/gallery/2327329

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by tripledigitken]

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by BajaNomad]

DianaT - 12-4-2007 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Diane,

Here is the link to the pictures I took.

Ken

http://dunken.smugmug.com/gallery/2327329[/url]

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by tripledigitken]

Yes, Yes, Yes---those are the great pictures I remember! Thank you, Thank you---they are so worth sharing again.:yes::yes::yes:

Now, where is that one of Doug's son and Fernando's daughter.

MrsFDT - 12-4-2007 at 03:18 PM

Heres one from the book signing last year. Ill have to look for the others.... I'll Post them in a bit

Well I think, Doug, your going to have to produce the pics from the command center with Sofi and Ryland secretly holding hands. I cant seem to find them. SO Cute...... My little bundle became a little handful on that day...

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by MrsFDT]

fdt - 12-4-2007 at 04:58 PM

Found them:

MrsFDT - 12-4-2007 at 05:15 PM

Video short clip of last years Toy drive. We would like to know also who thinks they might want to hit the bus with us this year.

fdt - 12-4-2007 at 08:08 PM

Thanks for having listened to the show tonight.

DianaT - 12-4-2007 at 08:18 PM

Oh no,

There are previously unpublished pictures of that secret romance now posted on this forum---------

They are PRICELESS

Diane

Roberto - 12-4-2007 at 08:51 PM

'Nando - I like the suggestion of the PayPal account. How about it?

docsmom - 12-4-2007 at 08:59 PM

I also like the Pay Pal suggestion. I'd love to help but there's no way in can be in So Cal or Baja before years end.
Although I realize that just sending money will put more responsibility on those of you closer to the issue. Wish I could be there to do the actual labor but it's out of the question this year.

[Edited on 12-5-2007 by docsmom]

Minnow - 12-5-2007 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
I also like the Pay Pal suggestion. I'd love to help but there's no way in can be in So Cal or Baja before years end.
Although I realize that just sending money will put more responsibility on those of you closer to the issue. Wish I could be there to do the actual labor but it's out of the question this year.

[Edited on 12-5-2007 by docsmom]

Ditto, any progress on the Paypal?

Those pictures are priceless. Those two are going to spend the rest of their lives living with that.:lol: What a little stud Dougs son is.

tripledigitken - 12-7-2007 at 12:09 PM

Mr and Mrs FDT,

Will you also have a drop off point north of the border for those who want to donate an gift and not cash?

Ken

Toy Drop off update

MrsFDT - 12-7-2007 at 04:03 PM

I haven't posted concerning the Toy Drive yet. But I just saw my paypal email listed here as a paypal donation for the toy drive....

First I want to say thank you to the three who have sent money to this account. You are angels and every bit helps so we wont turn anything down as it helps tremendously! However I want to keep the focus on toys and dont want this to become a cash thing.

I ask that you not send money to this email address.

This is my personal account for my Chihuahua's and rescue funds for strays that find their way to my door. I feel a little wierd about getting funds there and prefer to keep it separate. Fernando gave out that email address, as it was the only account we had when requested. I created another account with a debit card to help keep track of what is spent.

If any of you feel that you absolutely want to give and cant send a toy or just find it more conviniant to donate, then please send it to toydrive2008@ultimatebaja.com instead and be specific about where you want it spent. Toys or Event organizing. Reciepts available. Since this is a new thing, with it only being the second year were obviously not a tax deductable organazation, but it is something to consider now. (I dont think FDT is going to stop) We are just a bunch of Nomads wanting to make a brighter day for some kids, in the traditional way of a Mexican Christmas. The day of the 3 Kings, Dia de los Reyes.

For toy drop off locations, Fernando has spoken to the store who graciously took all the toys in and stored them for us last year. They were bought out this past summer by another company. However, They are also willing to help with the collection, only we have to wait for the ok from the second owner and that wont come until Monday. Good news is they own a chain of differant stores so the drop off locations will increase to several locations. Yay. So stay tuned for Monday. Fernando will also be going over detailes during the radio shows in the evenings.

With that said, I want to be candid here. Last year we were in dire straits to be blunt. To the point that we actually didnt buy anything for our own kids. My mom did that for us and of coarse the little one, Sofia, did get a Micky and Mini stuffed toy from a huge donation of them cortesy of Oso. Thank you Oso. She was on cloud nine and still plays Micky and Mini get married with them. Too cute.

My point is that even as bad off as we were financially and in spite of my telling Fernando it couldnt or shouldnt be done, considerdering our situation. He still did it and he did it with almost nothing. It was stressful due to the lack of money, yes, but we now know (I know) it can be pulled off with perserveriance, focus and a passion to help someone else, in spite of the odds of succeding. What a reward! (He started crying the minute he walked into that church on the day we got off the bus.)

The childrens eyes lit up and they began to sing at the sight of us filing in one at a time through the small door. The hum of little voices and whispers through the small church building rose to an excited level as we began bringing in the boxes filled with wrapped toys and shiny ribbons. Then when Doug, Ken and his boys rolled the bikes in (4 of them) I dont think the kids could contain themselves in anticipation of who those would go to. Box after box and armful after armful we carried them in. Most of the kids recieved as many as 3 to 4 presents each. (I think a couple got in line several times. :lol:) When everyone had gifts there were still more and those we handed out randomly until they were all gone.

This IS what this is about and this is what I would like it stay about. For us it's giving even if you think you got nothing left to give... thats when you give more.

None of this would have happened without those Nomads who made it out of theyr'e way to drop off, mail or find a way to get a toy to the kids. We did it with 400.00 Pesos from a nomad in Ensenada and a check for $100 Dollars from a nomad in San Diego, along with whatever we could muster ourselves. I think thats right. Fernando took care of that end. So correct me if im off.

Doing the phisical labor of handing out toys and keeping the lines strait, carrying and sorting toys for appropriate age groups was Doug Means (BajaNomad) and his family, Ken (TripledigitKen), myself, Fernando our kids and Kens wife, as well as a local Tijuana historian. Along with a bunch of toys they donated themselves.

With the exception of the kids we picked up on the bus, it was empty:(

My hope is that more Nomads, who possably can swing it, join us on that day. Fernando is working on a spectacular package for our enjoyment as well. The cost? little or nothing is our goal. After all he did get us a bus from the city last year for free. With the money we have gotten already this year we can go a little further with less stress of making it happen. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

One special thing I want to share with everyone. It was the one thing that really got me and stuck with me through the year. OK well its two things but they are connected.

First was the little deaf boy. He was an increadable little boy. He was hearing impaired but that didnt look like it was an issue for him. The minute that bike rolled into the church, he was all over it. He kept insisting that it should be for him, even interupting the line to make his point. All in hand signs and what noises he could make to get his point accross. I tried to tell him that those would be last. But he couldnt hear me and I didnt know anything but to hold my hand up like stop and shake my finger in no. He looked disappointed. Then went back and sat down

Finally when it was time for the bikes he piped in again jumping up and down and waving his arms wildly. Im not sure but it seemed the equivelnt of yelling to get the message home. We were all amused by his antics in an effort to get that bike under him. He finally did get the bike.
PHOTO taken by TripleDigetKen January 06, 2007
Feliz Dia de Reyes!

The other, my oldest daugter, 12 years old and the connection was the young deaf boy who got the shiny Candy Apple Red bike, 9 years old. This is what we strived to teach our kids and it paid off in spades.

I mentioned that we were in bad shape last year no presents personally from mom or dad. Well our daughter Danielle did get a bike from another source, a shiny Candy Apple Red brand new bike just before Xmas. She was extatic over it. Christmas was good to her, on Christmas day she broke her leg. In the days between Christmas and Dia de Reyes she decided she wouldnt be able to ride her new bike for months and it made more sense to give it to someone who would enjoy it. As parents we first reacted by saying that she should keep it, as she would be able to hop on it in just a few months. She insisted and Fernando and I realized that this was why we were doing this and decided it was a good choice. We were very proud.
Danielle was just as happy as when she saw it as her own that very first time. I think it will bring tears to my eyes for the rest of my life. There couldnt have been a more deserving recipiant or a more pure hearted giver.

I dont believe she told many people it was her that gave it up. Im doing that now for her. Both were blessed and so are we. Now hopefully you are too.

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by MrsFDT]

fdt - 12-7-2007 at 08:37 PM

bump

DianaT - 12-8-2007 at 09:40 AM

Back to the top

DianaT - 12-8-2007 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsFDT
Heres one from the book signing last year. Ill have to look for the others.... I'll Post them in a bit

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by MrsFDT]

While all of those pictures are so precious, this one would make a GREAT avatar. JMHO

The two of them should be in an advertising brochure for Baja!

Diane

fdt - 12-8-2007 at 12:36 PM

If anyone is going south between now and Jan 06, please, email me or U2U me if you can drop off a toy or two on your way.
Thanks
Fernando

fdt - 12-9-2007 at 07:55 PM

Maybe a bump would come in handy at this time

bajaguy - 12-9-2007 at 08:24 PM

FDT & Mrs FDT.....We will be headed south on the 19th, but the car is full. I will put a check in the mail to your home address tomorrow.

Keep up the good work!!!!!

fdt - 12-10-2007 at 07:08 AM

Thanks bajaguy, I sent you a U2U but most importantly is not to forget to make room for the coasters for Dennis ;D

fdt - 12-11-2007 at 06:45 AM

The toy drive is changing location, the kids we adopted last year have since gotten a year round sponsor. There are many needy children and I will tell you were we are going. If you were listening to the show last night, you already know, I now have to work out the details. Stay posted.

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 01:45 PM

Mrs. FTD,
That was a beautiful story. When your children give from the heart, you know you're doing your job as a parent.
P.

Thank you

MrsFDT - 12-11-2007 at 04:39 PM

They have they're moments. We look around at a lot of whats going on in the world and I find it amazing sometimes that our kids have hearts like they do. Makes me feel better, when Im thinking I haven't done enough.:D

Oso - 12-11-2007 at 07:44 PM

Ferna or Simone,
If you have a snail mail address for a check, please U2U me. I am reluctant to reactivate a Paypal account at I get bogus spam from "Paypal" at my office email and I don't think I ever set up an account from there.

fdt - 12-11-2007 at 09:13 PM

Gracias Oso, here is a very fortunate child that received some of thos great Mickey and Minnie dolls.

fdt - 12-17-2007 at 12:30 PM

The drop off location for toys in the US will once again be the same as last years;
Miscellaneous,
1655 Broadway, Suite 10
Chula Vista, CA 91911
You can ask for Ms. Nidia Puerto and the phone number is (619) 585-3511

elgatoloco - 12-17-2007 at 12:51 PM

When you drop off the toys bring your appetite and head up the road to Hector's Mariscos!.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hector%27s+mariscos...

1177 Broadway

We stumbled upon the place last year while looking for some eats after the drop and we have been back several times.

Mucho sabor!

VIVA Mrs. & Mr. FDT y familia!!!!

[Edited on 12-17-2007 by elgatoloco]

BajaNomad - 12-18-2007 at 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
...it looks so good!
Oh My... yes, yes, yesss....

:o

fdt - 12-18-2007 at 05:57 PM

Whoever is delivering toys and wants to have Mariscos Hector, let me know, I might join you. ;D

BAJACAT - 12-20-2007 at 09:56 AM

Ferna when are the toys are going to be deliver and do you need help doing it. let me know Bato..
I will take some toys with me too.

fdt - 12-20-2007 at 03:13 PM

Hey BAJACAT, the toy drive is Jan 06, a Sunday, Dia de Reyes. Ensenada is the destination, I'll U2U with info on needing Tu Trocka ;D

Thanks grover

fdt - 12-20-2007 at 08:43 PM

Yes , any of these locations will be designated dropp off points for toys for the Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes toy drive.
If you are UPSing or FedExing or mailing a gift, send to;
Baja Nomad Toy Drive
c/o
Miscellaneous
1655 Broadway, Suite 10
Chula Vista, CA 91911

Oso - 12-21-2007 at 09:33 AM

Tacos de Tortuga?

elgatoloco - 12-21-2007 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Tacos de Tortuga?

Yes. We saw on the menu turtle soup, turtle tacos and we inquired and the young lady who was our waitress said that they use 'sweetwater' turtle? I was thinking that they must catch them at the nearby Sweetwater River or the Sweetwater Reservoir? After a bit more conversation it was determined that the turtles procured for the various menu items are in fact 'freshwater' turtles. We have tried lots of different things on the menu, just have not yet had the turtle. Maybe next time.

Oso - 12-21-2007 at 09:52 AM

Hmmm, Cooter or Snapper I wonder?

tripledigitken - 12-21-2007 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
When you drop off the toys bring your appetite and head up the road to Hector's Mariscos!.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hector%27s+mariscos...

1177 Broadway

We stumbled upon the place last year while looking for some eats after the drop and we have been back several times.

Mucho sabor!

VIVA Mrs. & Mr. FDT y familia!!!!

[Edited on 12-17-2007 by elgatoloco]

Thanks for the tip on Hectors, Gato. We will be sampling their menu after we drop off a few for the kids tomorrow.

Ken

David K - 12-21-2007 at 10:20 AM

Ferna, what is the deadline for dropping off toys at ANY of the locations on Nidia's card?

Santee is a good one for many Nomads, I know.

Is there any type of toys you think would be the most welcomed or beneficial?

Thanks for what you do!

fdt - 12-21-2007 at 10:50 AM

Thanks David, wile Dia de Reyes is not until Jan 06, this year we are going to Ensenada so we might leave on the 5th, so Jan 03 would be the very last day for all locations other than the 1655 Broadway, Chula Vista were we could pick up until the 4th. Remember that we have to bring them into Mexico a bit at a time so droping off toys ASAP would be greatly apreciated.

fdt - 12-21-2007 at 08:26 PM

Yes, toys still needed, thanks for participating on the Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive.

Thanks Baja Nomad

fdt - 12-22-2007 at 12:34 PM

We have a banner at the bottom of the forums now, Wow, thanks.

fdt - 12-22-2007 at 12:41 PM

And to make it even easyer for those dropping off toys, the good people of Jackson Hewitt Tax Service have joined in the effort with theire San Diego locations.

fdt - 12-23-2007 at 08:03 AM

This thread looks a lot better when it's on top ;D

fdt - 12-23-2007 at 08:12 PM

It was a great day today, I was in Punta Banda, Esteban Cantú and met with bajabound2005 and bajamigo to talk about the Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy drive that will be in 2 weeks for the kids belonging to the families that were victims of the recent mud slides that hapened after the fires in the South Ensenada area. At this point there are about 21 kids of all ages, the youngest beeing 6 mos. old and there will be at least 30 more needy children from the area that will be recepients of the toys that all of you Baja Nomads have or will be giving. We have decided also on were the toy give away will be and were we will have the Dia de Reyes meal that of course like last year will be the traditional tamales, frijolitos, champurrado or chocolate and the very popular Rosca de Reyes to see who gets the monito and will throw the party on Feb 02. I was so lucky to also meet with Baja Nomad Dennis who is also a resident of the area and I'm sure will be participating on the event. I plan to be back next week to start taking toys down and make sure all is ready for the long awaited January 6th althow Vince and Kathleen have everything pretty much under control and without theire help this would be very hard to do as it is far from were we are. Before leaving Ensenada I stoped by to visit Hose A and wish them a Merry Christmas.
So thanks bajabound2005, bajamigo for meeting with me today and thanks to all Nomads for making this event posible.
"Que pasen una Feliz Navidad, son nuestros mas sinceros deseos"
Fernando y familia

DENNIS - 12-24-2007 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
This thread looks a lot better when it's on top ;D

fdt - 12-24-2007 at 09:21 AM

Wow, all of you southbound travelers, remember you can drop of a toy on your way down. Enjoy your trip.

Maps

fdt - 12-24-2007 at 11:25 AM

If you are comming 5 South, there are two easy ways to get to Miscellaneous, 5 South - Chula Vista, you exit either on Palomar or Main Street, go East to Broadway and turn south if comming from Palomar, North if coming from Main.

If you're comming from 805 South, exit on Main street Chula Vista and go West to Broadway, turn right (North) and it's right there.

fdt - 12-26-2007 at 01:59 PM

Don't forget, toys went on sale today :light:

fdt - 12-26-2007 at 08:01 PM

Same toy drive. Wow
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28901

Incentive

debindesert - 12-26-2007 at 08:22 PM

The next three people who U2U me, I'll be glad to have UPS pick up your toy and get it delivered. Time is of the essence, so please respond before 3:00 PM (PST) tomorrow.

Have a great holiday and thanks to all the Baja Nomads.

-Deb

fdt - 12-27-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by debindesert
The next three people who U2U me, I'll be glad to have UPS pick up your toy and get it delivered. Time is of the essence, so please respond before 3:00 PM (PST) tomorrow.

Have a great holiday and thanks to all the Baja Nomads.

-Deb

bump

sylens - 12-27-2007 at 12:03 PM

ok we're finally home. let us know what we can do. had a great time in guadalajara, ajijíc, vallarta, tonalá and tlaquepaque. will try and remember to post more on that later. ;D;D

meanwhile, please catch us up on how we can help best on el día de los reyes magos. we're rarin' to go:bounce::bounce::bounce:

fdt - 12-27-2007 at 01:15 PM

Toys, toys, toys and then some more toys.

fdt - 12-27-2007 at 03:02 PM

:wow: What a great idea :light:

Those US Nomads that will be attending the Dia de Reyes toy drive and have some extra used items of clothing that they could bring along to give away to these kids, please do so. No, do not drop off clothes at the locations listed since used clothing is not beeing requested and would be hard for us to transport, just if you're comming down for the event and you can bring some items, please do.

PS;
Toys Toys Toys

oladulce - 12-27-2007 at 08:55 PM

What is the age range of the kids again?

When's the last day that a UPS package could arrive at the Chula Vista address for you guys to receive it in time?

Wrapped, or un-wrapped?

BAJACAT - 12-27-2007 at 09:09 PM

Fernando toll me, they are about sixthy kids ranging from 6 months to young teens...

fdt - 12-27-2007 at 09:33 PM

Thanks, unwraped is better and ages are all kinds, We'll post but at this point the youngest is 6 mos old and the oldest I believe is 17. The last day to receive UPS is Jan 04 Friday.

David K - 12-28-2007 at 10:08 AM

Hi Ferna,

Could you please clear up this post of yours from above... as I don't understand what is happening on February 2, you mentioned...

Also, what is the Nomad group meeting location and times in Ensenada for the 6th (or Feb 2nd)? Is there an actual place where Nomads will meet with each other after the toy drop off, like el Taco de Huitzilipotchtli for example?
El Taco de Huitzilipotchtli restaurant: 31°53.10'/ 116°36.28'
Gracias!

posted on 12-23-2007 at 07:12 PM

It was a great day today, I was in Punta Banda, Esteban Cantú and met with bajabound2005 and bajamigo to talk about the Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy drive that will be in 2 weeks for the kids belonging to the families that were victims of the recent mud slides that hapened after the fires in the South Ensenada area. At this point there are about 21 kids of all ages, the youngest beeing 6 mos. old and there will be at least 30 more needy children from the area that will be recepients of the toys that all of you Baja Nomads have or will be giving. We have decided also on were the toy give away will be and were we will have the Dia de Reyes meal that of course like last year will be the traditional tamales, frijolitos, champurrado or chocolate and the very popular Rosca de Reyes to see who gets the monito and will throw the party on Feb 02. I was so lucky to also meet with Baja Nomad Dennis who is also a resident of the area and I'm sure will be participating on the event. I plan to be back next week to start taking toys down and make sure all is ready for the long awaited January 6th althow Vince and Kathleen have everything pretty much under control and without theire help this would be very hard to do as it is far from were we are. Before leaving Ensenada I stoped by to visit Hose A and wish them a Merry Christmas.
So thanks bajabound2005, bajamigo for meeting with me today and thanks to all Nomads for making this event posible.
"Que pasen una Feliz Navidad, son nuestros mas sinceros deseos"
Fernando y familia

fdt - 12-28-2007 at 10:16 AM

We don't know what's happening on Feb 2nd since we won't know who will be throwing the party till Jan 06 wen the Rosca de Reyes is sliced.

This from last years thread:
¡Ya Vienen Los Reyes Magos!

After New Year's Day, Mexican families still have a very special date to commemorate and enjoy. On January 6, most of the Hispanic world celebrates El Dia De Reyes, the Epiphany, remembering the day when the Three Wise Men following the star to Bethlehem, arrived bearing their treasured gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh for the Baby Jesus.

On the night, of January 5, the figurines of the Three Wise Men are added to the nativity scene. Before going to bed the children place their old shoes under their bed or in the living room, where the Wise Men will leave them their presents. Some also place outside the house, some hay and a bucket with water for the animals, and even some cookies and milk for Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar.
You can feel the excitement building up! With twinkling eyes, the children eagerly, and constantly ask what time it is, wishing for time to fly so they could open their presents.
Reluctantly they go off to bed.
As soon as they wake up, which is earlier than any other day, they run to see the gifts that the Three Magi left for them. Happiness overflows every Mexican home.

The children spend the day playing and admiring each other’s presents, sharing them with friends, talking about how they were able to hear or see the Reyes Magos when they arrived at their home, how one of them heard the camel’s footsteps, how the other saw a shining crown in the dark night!
Meanwhile, adults prepare for the Merienda de Reyes, an early evening dinner that friends and families share to celebrate the Epiphany.

The Merienda de Reyes is truly a multicultural event. The Spaniards brought the tradition of celebrating the Epiphany and sharing the Rosca to the New World. The Rosca is served along with Tamales, made of corn which was the pre-Hispanic food per excel lance, and hot chocolate. Chocolate is also a gift from the native peoples of the New World.
People go to the markets and stores to get the needed ingredients to prepare the feast.

Hidden inside this delicious Rosca, a plastic figurine of the Baby Jesus. The Baby is hidden because it symbolizes the need to find a secure place where Jesus could be born, a place where King Herod would not find Him.
Each person cuts a slice of the Rosca . The knife symbolizes the danger in which the Baby Jesus was in.
One by one the guests carefully inspect their slice, hopping they didn't get the figurine.

Whoever gets the baby figurine shall be the host, and invite everyone present to a new celebration on February 2, Candelaria or Candle mass day, and he also shall get a new Ropón or dress for the Baby Jesus of the Nativity scene.
The Mexican Christmas season is joyously extended up to February 2 ! - when the nativity scene is put away, and another family dinner of delicious tamales and hot chocolate is served with great love and happiness.

Rosca de Reyes

All over the country, in every city and in every little town, bakeries offer the Rosca de Reyes, an oval sweetbread, decorated with candied fruit. There are Roscas of all sizes, very small ones for two or three people and up to the ones that will delight more that twenty people.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21378#pid1972...

fdt - 12-28-2007 at 10:33 AM

As for th Nomad Get together for the day of the toy drive and were we will be enjoying tamales, chocolate or champurrado and handing out gifts will be the India Bonita restaurant.
Here is a review from BajaCat
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=27359

[Edited on 12-28-2007 by fdt]

BajaGeoff - 12-28-2007 at 02:32 PM

What time will you be meeting at India Bonita?

fdt - 12-28-2007 at 02:36 PM

Sunday, Jan 06 between 12 noon and 1:30PM, will know for better next week.

BajaGeoff - 12-28-2007 at 05:11 PM

Sounds good!

Toys, Toys, Toys

fdt - 12-29-2007 at 09:54 AM

We still need more toys, Call your friends, neighbors, cousins, anyone and tell them about these children and about this toy drive. Among these are the children of 7 families who lost everything they had with the mudslides. We are doing this on January 06 and we havn't asked for toys for a whole year.
You can still mail or send toys and the address for that is :
Baja Nomad Toy Drive
c/o Miscellaneous
1655 Broadway, Suite 10
Chula Vista, CA 91911

Or if you are dropping off a toy, you can do so at any of the Jackson Hewitt tax service franchise locations listed here;

Thank you so much.

fdt - 12-29-2007 at 10:43 AM

Here is a slideshow of the mudslides in Cantú

http://picasaweb.google.com/bajasingles/Mudslide/photo#s5139...

map to India Bonita from Maneadero/hwy1

bajadock - 12-29-2007 at 07:12 PM

India Bonita Restaurant, approx 4 miles on road to Labuf. Watch for the 5 topes(speed bumps) and I.B. teepee entrance is on your left.

[Edited on 12-30-2007 by bajadock]

DENNIS - 12-29-2007 at 07:38 PM

Doc.....

Good heads-up on the TOPES.........

bajabound2005 - 12-29-2007 at 08:15 PM

but the map makes it look like it's on your right???? If you get to the pottery place (also on the left heading toward La Buf, make a quick u-turn and take that dirt road like you'd being straight); if fact, once you make that u-turn, you can see the restaurant straight on. Then it will be on your right!

Nice addition on the topes, Doc!!!!

[Edited on 12-30-2007 by bajabound2005]

bajabound2005 - 12-29-2007 at 09:08 PM

Oh! For the adults --- this is a BYOB restaurant! Lupita is happy to pop the tops or corks; but do keep it discreet!

fdt - 12-29-2007 at 09:17 PM

Thanks for the map Bajadock and Nomads, were running out of time, please hurry and send in those toys

fdt - 12-30-2007 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Thanks for the map Bajadock and Nomads, were running out of time, please hurry and send in those toys

Yes, I did say please.

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-30-2007 at 11:44 AM

Fernando I sent you an e-mail to the toy drive email address but do not know if you got it. I wrote that I am sending 7 toys tomorrow and they will be at the Chula Vista Address by the deadline so you can pick them up. Each toy is wrapped and I have attached a 3X5 card to each present indicating what it is and for what age range the toy recommends.

fdt - 12-30-2007 at 11:53 AM

Thank you David Elinvest

fdt - 12-30-2007 at 01:30 PM

Thanks to all and Happy New Year

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-30-2007 at 01:33 PM

You are Welcome Fernando

bajabound2005 - 12-30-2007 at 09:15 PM

Fernando!!! RELAX! Have you had the instructed c-cktail????

fdt - 12-30-2007 at 09:55 PM

I need more like the whole botella.

BAJACAT - 12-30-2007 at 09:58 PM

can I have the worm,,please..:barf:

fdt - 12-31-2007 at 11:18 AM

You can have the worm in exchange for a toy. ;D

DENNIS - 12-31-2007 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
You can have the worm in exchange for a toy. ;D

That's what that foot-tapping senator said in the airport restroom.

fdt - 12-31-2007 at 02:47 PM

Dennis, this is a kid thread :saint:

fdt - 12-31-2007 at 06:48 PM

Has this toy drive thread been hijacked?

fdt - 12-31-2007 at 06:54 PM

Don't worry, you can hijack as long as at the end you ask for a toy ;D

BAJACAT - 1-1-2008 at 09:47 AM

Today in the news , the price of rice will increased due to high demand for weddings.now they are looking in to options,maybe instated of rice they will throw tomatoes,wich are cheaper..and on a last note don't forget to help with theFERNATOON and seend your toy or tomatoes wich ever is cheaper...source chilangolandia news channel...

fdt - 1-1-2008 at 09:54 AM

Oh no, a tomatothon for the kids, lets ask Doug to change the banner fast

fdt - 1-1-2008 at 09:57 AM

Here is a partial list of the children and the ages that will be receiving toys this coming Sunday in Ensenada:

Boys

Tereso, 10
Juan, 10 or 11
Rotilio, 10
Samuel, 10
Rafelio, 10
Ricardo, 9
Reynaldo, 9
Jose, 8
Benito, 8
Bernardino, 8
Jaime, 7
Luis Miguel, 7
Cristobal, 7
Jose Alfrede, 7
Nelson, 6
Juan Manuel, 5

Girls

Julia, 10
Elicia, 10
Carmen, 10
Emelda, 10
Graciella, 10
Jaqueline, 8
Diana, 6
Celestina, 6
Fetinica, 7

BAJACAT - 1-1-2008 at 10:06 AM

Ferna how do you plan to give away the bikes by age,and do you think that they may be interested in wearing bike helmets.I have about 6..

fdt - 1-1-2008 at 10:07 AM

Helmets welcome and yes bikes would be by size

BAJACAT - 1-1-2008 at 10:15 AM

They are calling for rain friday-sunday. don't forget your umbrellas

MrsFDT - 1-1-2008 at 10:25 AM

Or do... if you like getting caught in the rain.:tumble:

bajabound2005 - 1-1-2008 at 12:18 PM

How about a head count for the number of Nomads that will be here on Sunday??? We want to make sure we have enough food for everyone! Please U2U me.

fdt - 1-1-2008 at 02:13 PM

Yes, it is this comming Sunday and Lupita from La India Bonita will be preparing a great traditional Dia de Reyes meal but does need to know how many people will be there.
I would like to also know when most of you will be traveling and if you'd like we can caravan. We could even take the Free Road.

sylens - 1-1-2008 at 03:59 PM

bump

the three kings are coming!

MrsFDT - 1-1-2008 at 05:34 PM

Sound good to me, lol. Whos following and who is heading the way?

bajabound2005 - 1-1-2008 at 09:19 PM

Nomads! Tell me if you are coming so Lupita makes enough food! I've only heard from 2 of you so far and me thinks many more are making this trip (Mr & Mrs FDT --- no need to respond - we KNOW you'll be here!!!) Please, via u2u or email, not this thread!

fdt - 1-2-2008 at 08:07 AM

Perfect and Sunday morning it's an empty parking lot. Great place to discuss the free road vs the gauntlet ;D

BAJACAT - 1-2-2008 at 09:05 PM

see you nomads there.
Bajacat's Family with Lupita (India Bonita owner)..

fdt - 1-3-2008 at 05:52 PM

Update on the kids, this is an updated list of recipients
Carlos, age 4
Nevy, age 17 (girl)
Gerardo, age 15
Esteban, age 5
Elisa, age 6 months
Ramon, age 12
Abram, age 7
Mavis, age 8 months (girl)
These children are mudslide family victims
And here is the original list again