BajaNomad

Isla San Jose permits?

Patches - 12-9-2007 at 07:41 AM

Is Isla San Jose now an island that requires permits to kayak to it, like Espiritu Santo?

comitan - 12-9-2007 at 09:43 AM

Not to my knowledge, but it is a long way from La Paz, you would do better to drive to San Everisto and Kayak out of there then you could also go to Isla San Francisco.

David K - 12-9-2007 at 10:22 AM

Keep an eye out for these on Isla San Jose!

gringorio - 12-21-2007 at 05:14 PM

Hi Patches,

I've been looking into the island permit thing too and as far as I can tell a permit is required to visit any island in the Sea of Cortez.

Here is the contact email for the CONANP office in La Paz that now issues the permits: lapaz@conanp.gob.mx

I've talked with them on the phone and they are very helpful and informative...

Happy travels! :bounce:

gringorio

[Edited on 12-22-2007 by gringorio]

Isla San Jose Permits

jaymtb - 12-22-2007 at 12:36 AM

Hi,
Gringorio is correct. The office is south of the malecon, but a long walk, best to catch a collectivo bus or cab if you don't have a car.
It would be good to call ahead to check hours of the office, or email first. You can buy permits for as many days as you expect to be there. They do check...

Once, while kayak camping out on San Jose, a big Baja Expeditions boat showed up and anchored to do a Red Bull commercial. A while later the rangers showed up, found no proper permit on the boat, busted them and sent them back to La Paz.

thanks,
Jay