BajaNomad

Where is the best snorkeling

Abby - 12-9-2007 at 05:37 PM

We will be going on a cruise in early March, that stops at Acapulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas. I was wondering which ports will have the best snorkeling? Also does anyone if the whale watching is a good thing to do?

Thanks so much

fishbuck - 12-9-2007 at 10:47 PM

Usually the snorkeling is best in the ocean although the pool on the cruise ship might be fun.
Any of the places you mention probably has good diving somewhere nearby. They might have organized tours. Or if you have transportation anywhere away from town or hotels. Rocky bottoms will have more life than sandy bottoms.

Leo - 12-10-2007 at 09:59 AM

A bit late for whale watching, but you never know.
PV has good snorkling and diving off the reef near the islands just outside the bay of Banderas.
When in Cabo, you can get a catamaran ride to Playa Santa MAria for an hour snorkling along the reef, or at Chileneo, is alsoa good spot.

tripledigitken - 12-10-2007 at 10:51 AM

At Ixtapa you can take a tour to Isla Ixtapa to do some snorkeling. They rent all the gear you need on the Island. It is a short panga ride. As I remember it took off next to the Club Med. We were told it was where they filmed the movie Treasure Island. The day we went however, the surge ruined the visability. We had to sit under the palapa's and consume coco loco's. ;)

Nice shore excursion even if the diving isn't great.

Ken

805gregg - 2-11-2008 at 07:26 PM

The cruise ships stop at Zihuatanejo, you can catch a panga from there to Isla Ixtapa, great place with restaurants.The snorkling there is so so. Ixtapa sucks. Z town is nice and there is a great old restaurant in the middle of town I forget the name. Near PV off punta Mita there is an island that encloses a hidden beach fun and unique.

[Edited on 2-12-2008 by 805gregg]