BajaNomad

Baja Road comparison to 'World's Most Dangerous Road.'

rts551 - 12-15-2007 at 12:30 PM

Great television program a couple of years ago highlighting this road.... Showed some scary incidences of people meeting each other in opposite directions

No comparison

[Edited on 12-15-2007 by rts551]

Mexitron - 12-15-2007 at 12:55 PM

That Bolivia road--why don't they alternate traffic each day so only one direction of traffic is flowing?
I can think of a few roads in outback Baja that are as harrowing like that with drop-offs but not with the traffic factor. The old Rumorosa road was a cakewalk compared to the Bolivia road and even it had quite a toll of trucks and cars down the side of it.

turtleandtoad - 12-15-2007 at 01:03 PM

In my opinion, the two worst sections of Mex-1 are;

1 - coming down the mountain to Santa Rosalia (sheer drop); and
2 - going across Punta Arena and into the Bahia Concepcion area (hairpin curves and speeding trucks).

But, when you're in a large RV, for thrills neither can compare to the US-1 coastal route through Sonoma County, California! Especially for the passenger if you're northbound!!:o

However, neither is on a level with The Devil's Backbone (Espinazo del Diablo) from Durango, Mexico on the way to Mazatlan. Which has to be one of the hairiest in the world.:O People swear they've seen their own tail lights.:O:?:

CaboRon - 12-18-2007 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Great television program a couple of years ago highlighting this road.... Showed some scary incidences of people meeting each other in opposite directions

No comparison

[Edited on 12-15-2007 by rts551]

Yes, I saw that program recently (I think on the history channel) UNBELIEVEABLE :wow: Makes our roads in baja look like childīs play :spingrin:

CaboRon

vandenberg - 12-18-2007 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad[/

However, neither is on a level with The Devil's Backbone (Espinazo del Diablo) from Durango, Mexico on the way to Mazatlan. Which has to be one of the hairiest in the world.:O People swear they've seen their own tail lights.:O:?:

Driven that a couple of times. According to some natives, one of the most picturesque roads in Mexico. It's hairy at times, very many hairpin turns, but I didn't find it, at any time, very dangerous. HWY 1 stands out because of the excessive speed too many vehicles adhere to. Like folks that drive from the border to Mulege, with breakfast and lunch stops, in one day. :(:( They should designate the kind of roadside cross they like.:P:(

bajadedom - 12-18-2007 at 03:42 PM

= 'Don't be a coward, you still have a few inches!' (I guess on the outside of the tire!!)