BajaNomad

MATOMI NOMAD TRIP, PRESIDENTS DAY WEEKEND

Pages:  1    3

BAJACAT - 12-17-2007 at 09:53 PM

Hi Nomads me and my big mouth.While posting with David K about some old photos of his past trips to Matomi, I sugested to make a new trip to this place,and I never expected this answer.He saids well Jose you go ahead and start a new thread to see who is interested in doing this trip.and you can borrow my old pictures to post, whow I never imagine it will come to this.So here I am asking for support to make this trip happend,Lets see how many people we can sign in.Sugested date will be next Presidents Day I can post the pictures don't know why so here is the link..http://vivabaja.com/matomi
actually asking about Suzanne(geo-rock) is how this got started..

[edited the title 02-01-2008 by BAJACAT]
[Edited on 12-18-2007 by BAJACAT]

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by BAJACAT]

Bob H - 12-17-2007 at 09:58 PM

I'm in... would love to see how much it has changed, etc. But, we will need David K as a guide - he knows so much about the trail there and has historical knowledge of the whole trip there and back. David?
Bob H

[Edited on 12-18-2007 by Bob H]

BAJACAT - 12-17-2007 at 10:02 PM

sorry guys I wasn't able to post the pictures, so I posted the link. check it how.and let me know.
Bob I have never been in Matomi.Should be nice to see Matomi and El Berrendo Canyon too.So you are in BH?

BajaWarrior - 12-18-2007 at 06:10 AM

My wife and I and three teenagers made this trip last Easter. Easy to find the turnoff from the highway, easy to make your way out to the Matomi Pool. Bring two spares tires if you can. One of our vehicles got a flat almost as soon as we hit the dirt road, (sidewall puncture) had we not had a spare spare, we would have turned back.

It was beautiful out there.

Vehicles driven: '88 Toyota 4x4 and a '85 Bronco ll 4x4

wilderone - 12-18-2007 at 09:50 AM

Shari had suggested a whale watching, Asuncion excursion a while back. Would be around the same time period. Any development on that?

David K - 12-18-2007 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Shari had suggested a whale watching, Asuncion excursion a while back. Would be around the same time period. Any development on that?

A trip to Asuncion would require a week off, at least to enjoy the place... Matomi excursion is a 3 day weekend event for those who only get the Monday off work.

Matomi Oasis, over the years...

David K - 12-18-2007 at 10:42 AM

Aug., 1979 (yah, that's me!)

Feb., 2001

Feb., 2004

Our amigo Mike Humfreville during the 2004 event.

June, 2006

There are 3 ways to or from Matomi:

1) Down Valle Chico from San Felipe/ El Dorado Ranch: The fastest route from San Felipe. 4WD and rough the final 14 miles only.

2) Arroyo Matomi from Hwy. 5, 10 miles north of Puertecitos: Most direct route, but deep sand/ gravel and uphill make this a slow and heats up engines. 4WD only for the 32+ mile run.

3) Cañada el Parral (Azufre Wash) from the old Puertecitos road, just south of the sulfur mine across the Sierra San Felipe to Valle Chico, then 8 miles south to Arroyo Matomi and then 5 miles up the arroyo to the oasis/ rancho: An interesting pass straight through the mountain range, no grades... 4WD only for sand.

Photos of Arroyo Matomi route and Valle Chico road at http://vivabaja.com/618/page4.html

Photos of Sulfur Mine, Cañada el Parral, and Berrendo Canyon at: http://vivabaja.com/106/page2.html

Photos of 2004 trip from Nuevo Mazatlan to Matomi through Parral begins here: http://www.vivabaja.com/204/page6.html

[Edited on 12-18-2007 by David K]

Bob H - 12-18-2007 at 11:29 AM

Wow, that 2006 photo really shows how low the water level had gotten. Let's go again! Camp at Neuvo Mazatlan, build a fire, smoke cigars, and sip on tequila, etc. President's day weekend 2008!!!!!!!!

Bob H

Gadget - 12-18-2007 at 03:42 PM

We've been up and down Matomi numerous times from both directions. Even towed our Baja box (Coleman tent trailer) 20 miles up it from Hwy 5 to a Locos pit for the 250 one year.

Have never been to the Oasis though. We may just be up for this trip also. I will not make a commitment until I see how my knee is healing in a few weeks. Sounds fun, so put us on the tenative list.

Bajaboy - 12-18-2007 at 06:52 PM

I might be in....we'd have to get El Camote and El Gato Loco, too.

Zac

bajalou - 12-18-2007 at 09:42 PM

It's in my back yard so I might be able to make it too. Been a couple years since I've been up there.

If you click on the "Valle Chico" link below, you can see the area etc on a GoogleMap application. Just have to work south from where it starts you.

[Edited on 12-19-2007 by bajalou]

BAJACAT - 12-18-2007 at 10:27 PM

Thank you guys for supporting this idea.And thanks Dk for posting your pictures,Im looking foward to meet new nomads this will be a perfect trip to break the ice.

Lettttttssssssssss do ittttttttttttttttttttttt.

MATOMI 2008

BAJACAT - 12-19-2007 at 01:59 PM

I will be checking time to time when the date is getting closer, I will probably take two cars with me,and yes Bob H Im up for some sigars even don't I do do not smoke but thats ok, what happensin Baja stays in Baja..I can esperar.seeeeee yaaaaaaaaa

[Edited on 12-19-2007 by BAJACAT]

El Camote - 12-25-2007 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I might be in....we'd have to get El Camote and El Gato Loco, too.

Zac

Haven't been able to log in for an eon 'cause my laptop and desktop both locked me out of this site. But down in Baja now using the wifey's laptop and borrowing the neighbor' s wifi and satellite connection (con permision), sitting in a wind-rocked camper and loving it!

I'd dig doing this trip again! Hope some more folks could make it. Looks like that weekend is a waxing 3/4 moon so a great phase for camping and exploring.

Who's in??:bounce::yes::biggrin::tumble:

BAJACAT - 12-25-2007 at 09:38 PM

Right now is just a few people i hope the list is going to get bigger with time.the date for this event is going to be the week ending fo 02/15/2008, the following monday will be Presidents Day wich is the 18. leaving dates are not yeat established, this is kind of new, I will have to talk to David K to set the departured and leaving dates..

So far it looks like
David K , Bob H , maybe Gadget , Bajaboy , and Bajalou
but everybody is invited.Ken,fdt,bajaguy,bajawarrior,bajacactus everybodyyyy

David K - 12-26-2007 at 10:31 AM

I very well may not be there BajaCat, but I will provide all the data from the past two Matomi Gang caravans/ campouts...

Friday PM: most arrived at campsite (2001 at El Dorado Ranch and 2004 at Nuevo Mazatlan)

Saturday: Day trip to Sulfur Mine and Shell Island. (in 2004 we saw the Sulfur Mine on Monday AM).

Sunday: More amigos arrived Sat. PM for today's main even, to the Matomi Canyon Oasis/ waterfall.

In 2001 we left from El Camote's place and went to Valle Chico on the fast road west and south to Matomi, then left via Arroyo Matomi out to Hwy. 5.

In 2004 we went west from Nuevo Mazatlan through Cañada el Parral to Valle Chico and down to Matomi, then out to Hwy. 5 in the arroyo.

Examine the photos from them:

2001: http://vivabaja.com/shell (SAT) and http://vivabaja.com/matomi (SUN)

2004: http://vivabaja.com/204 (SAT & SUN)

Bob H - 12-26-2007 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I very well may not be there BajaCat, but I will provide all the data from the past two Matomi Gang caravans/ campouts...

Awwwwwwwww. Come-on David!

Mexray... are you and Pat gonna make it?
Bob H

BAJACAT - 12-26-2007 at 07:44 PM

somebody just cut my head off,can you guys help this poor nomad find it..

jeans - 12-26-2007 at 11:17 PM

Well...I was on the first trip.

We were flying down the highway south of Mexicali en route to El Camote's, and met Bajaboy Zac as we passed him! We saw the Viva Baja bumper sticker and knew he was one of the gang. It was also the first time to meet Mike H. and many others.

I would consider another trip. I could take a rider to split expenses.

David K - 12-27-2007 at 09:44 AM

El Camote made a great video set to music of the 2001 Matomi group adventure... It could easily have won an award for quality, presentation, humor... It was shown at my Viva Baja party and thanks to Mexray, it was shown at Nuevo Mazatlan the night before our 2004 group went to Matomi.

A few months later in 2001, El Camote filmed the BBBB party at Cielito Lindo and traveled in the 4WD Viva Baja van to L.A. Bay and Gonzaga Bay... He filmed the first Lost Mission Search we did that trip, as well... http://vivabaja.com/van1

Great stuff, all!

fdt - 12-27-2007 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
I would consider another trip. I could take a rider to split expenses.

What are aprox. expenses for this trip?

David K - 12-27-2007 at 05:07 PM

Fuel... Mexican auto insurance (unless you have an annual policy)... camping food... beer... beer... beeer... beeeeeeeeeeeeer... Did I say beer?

Oh, and if at Nuevo Mazatlan the charge for camping... http://vivabaja.com/nm It was $20 last time we camped there: http://vivabaja.com/806

Perhaps BajaRob can check on it from Arvada George who is there right now?

The beach at Nuevo Mazatlan:

The shaded campground (with flush toilets and cold showers)

[Edited on 12-28-2007 by David K]

[Edited on 12-28-2007 by David K]

Gadget - 12-27-2007 at 08:21 PM

Gotta spend a night in Matomi. Nice deep sand under your tent, lots of wild life sounds, Iron wood and Mesquite for the camp fire, great acoustics for pyro-techniques. What more do ya need???

BAJACAT - 12-27-2007 at 09:01 PM

Im still up for the challenge,if you guys still want to do it,we just need somebody to lead the way,I have never been in matomi.Hopefully by then david K can make it.

Ps sorry David,about loosing my head (previus post).,I was jjust kidding, I still would like to see you make this trip,and Im not alone.

Expenses, depends on what you are willing to take. I think for this trip I will not expend more than $201,but thats just me.

fdt - 12-27-2007 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I think for this trip I will not expend more than $201,but thats just me.

Out of my range than, all I can afford is $199.78. :rolleyes:

BAJACAT - 12-27-2007 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
I think for this trip I will not expend more than $201,but thats just me.

Out of my range than, all I can afford is $199.78. :rolleyes:
Im willing to lend you the other $1.22, and you can pay me back in two easy payments of $.61 no interest on aproved credit....:rolleyes:

David K - 12-28-2007 at 08:51 AM

BajaCat, you will do fine if I am not there... no problema!

By-the-way, the leader must be the first one in for a swim! It ain't exactly warm water in February... I KNOW, look:

elgatoloco photo

In 2004, Geo Rock jumped in, and some of the other girls did too!:

Mexray photo

El Camote - 12-28-2007 at 04:51 PM

I like the idea of camping at the Matomi rancho. Is there anyone living there these days? Anyone who's self-contained is welcome to camp on our lot pero tenemos no casita ahora so no el bano for todos! :no::wow:

Not to worry if DK can't make it, BajaLou knows the back country like, well, the back of his hand. Would be cool if as much of the old crew as possible could make it.

BAJACAT - 12-28-2007 at 09:24 PM

I like the sound of that amigo Camote, I still want to go, if bajalou is interested in leading the way.. Im innn.......

BAJACAT - 12-28-2007 at 09:25 PM

One more thing everybody knows cats hate waTer...:lol::lol::lol:

Si David

BajaRob - 12-29-2007 at 08:03 AM

George came by here yesterday and will be here for the clams. When he arrived at Nuevo Mazatlan, the restrooms were boarded up and the water was turned off. The asking price was $20 but he negotiated a better deal for his group.
The restrooms were opened and the water was turned on.
We would be up for at least a day trip. We camped near the ranch house for 3 days last spring. There were 3 cowboys in the house and 100 head of cattle nearby. The cowboys were very friendly and we shared our food, cokes, and beer with them. We cleaned out and left a porta potti for the next time.
The Parade of Lights is tonight and our Clam Fiesta is Monday.

MrsFDT - 12-29-2007 at 03:55 PM

This sounds like fun, we need to stretch out the tent and air it out some. I may be starting a new job in early January, so all depends on if they let me off on that Monday. Pending the new job we may be able to swing that extra $1.99:biggrin:

BAJACAT - 12-30-2007 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsFDT
This sounds like fun, we need to stretch out the tent and air it out some. I may be starting a new job in early January, so all depends on if they let me off on that Monday. Pending the new job we may be able to swing that extra $1.99:biggrin:
Dont worry Simone I got your back I allready toll Ferna that he can borrow the $1.99 from me, thats what Baja friends are for..:lol::lol::lol:

fdt - 12-30-2007 at 10:11 AM

I'm actualy just short $1.22 so if you guys lend me an extra .77¢ I can buy some beer for the road. :lol:

BAJACAT - 12-30-2007 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I'm actualy just short $1.22 so if you guys lend me an extra .77¢ I can buy some beer for the road. :lol:
Well Ferna I don't know Have you seen the thread about the beer going up in price....http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28924

Gadget - 1-28-2008 at 01:39 PM

So whats sup with this trip? I start physical therapy on my knee and shoulder this afternoon for surgery I had on Tuesday. Think I may be loosened back up enough to pull this off over Pres weekend. Got all my fab and repair work done on GSB before my repair work, so its ready. Some good sand wash wheeling could be just what I need.

Is there still a crew :?::?:

BAJACAT - 1-28-2008 at 01:57 PM

I sure hope so,I will contact Bajalou again to see If he can lead the trip.should be nice to see who still wants to make this possible,so if you are interested,let us know via this thread.So we know who and how many nomads what to go.

Gadget - 1-28-2008 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
I sure hope so,I will contact Bajalou again to see If he can lead the trip.should be nice to see who still wants to make this possible,so if you are interested,let us know via this thread.So we know who and how many nomads what to go.

Haven't you heard? All roads lead to where you're going in Baja! "We donn neeed no stinking leederz" But heh, Bajalou, if you want to be the large and in charge dude, then, I salute you my fearless leaderz!!! All we really need is a bunch of folks who want to go somewhere.
Gosh with all the GPS data we can tap into from David K we could play pin the tail on the location and probably find it blindfolded.
I have Matomi on my GSP from both directions, just need the turn off bling for the oasis and it's a done dealyoh. :lol:

[Edited on 1-28-2008 by Gadget]

BAJACAT - 1-28-2008 at 02:48 PM

Ok lets go, with your bright lights shouldn't be no problem.So people start signing in.We can leave mid friday Feb-15 or late friday,make camp in Nuevo Mazatlan.Saturday,quick trips around S-Felipe,um Im thinking,Valle de Gigantes,maybe and old mine,open to suggestions.And around 2:00pm we can start heading to Matomi via valle Chico.Camp saturday night in Matomi, and return Sunday afternoon.Everything is open for suggestions.
Time of departure
Camping spot for Friday
sidetrips for Saturday morning
Time exiting Matomi on Sunday

Ps LET ME KNOW, WHAT WORKS FOR YOU GUYS..

The squarecircle - 1-29-2008 at 01:06 PM

Greetings all,

Sounds like a lot of fun and some good exercise for "Winston" (my Ford made in England). It is big and heavy and burrows deep in loose sand. It would be nice to get out of town for a change.

Best Regards, sq.

Gadget - 1-29-2008 at 01:44 PM

Aw come on Roy :biggrin: Stop bashing your Range Rover. They have lots of great history exploring all over the world. Most of us can't afford to drive em cause we're not bucks up like you. ;) Winston may decide to turn on you one day. :(

Come on Nomads jump in.

BAJACAT - 1-29-2008 at 03:20 PM

The more the better,come on and sign in.This should be a quick trip to Baja,I know i need my B^J^ fix. Plus will be a perfect time to meet more nomads,lets not wait for a toy drive to meet more nomads.

BAJACAT - 1-29-2008 at 03:32 PM

Here is a list of Nomads that show interest in doing this trip,if you are in the list and still want to go,let us know via this thread.Here is a few names(handles)..
1-BOB H
2-GADGET
3-BAJABOY
4-BAJALOU
5-EL CAMOTE
6-JEANS
7-FDT
8-MRSFDT
9-SQUARECIRCLE
10-B^J^C^T (myself)..

So come on Nomads let's make it happen...

The squarecircle - 1-29-2008 at 03:42 PM

Greetings Gadget

"Winston" has already turned on me in the form of a huge "stuck" in the Estero Percebu (Shell Island) area. It took a H2 Hummer to free my Ford and that was in dry sand.

NOW >>>>> What say you about this proposed Matomi trip. Maybe get you in shape for the La Turquesa Challenge that looms on the horizon.

Best Regards, sq.

Neal Johns - 1-29-2008 at 04:36 PM

Put me on the list! Marian will be Viet Nam/Cambodia.

El Camote - 1-29-2008 at 08:10 PM

Me too, Neal. The current wife just informed us that me and Camote jr. need to be "not home" that weekend so she can work on her feces...
oh I'm sorry, that's her thesis. Academic schmackademic! :barf::rolleyes:

y tu, Zac?

[Edited on 1-30-2008 by El Camote]

bajalou - 1-29-2008 at 08:20 PM

I'll be there and via Valle Chico is a good way to go although it's pretty cold for camping (for me at least) I've camped there in March and like to froze - but to each his own. (I don't have a camper like some of you do) Anyway I'll be there

Hook - 1-29-2008 at 09:43 PM

All right, how far MIGHT an F350 with a Lance get via Valle Chico? Would I make the rancho?

Dont put me on the list yet, Cat. I have Glamis and Borrego tugging at me, too.

BAJACAT - 1-29-2008 at 11:37 PM

Does anybody know the average temp for the month of February in Matomi canyon..

Hook I hope you can go with us..

regarding Bajalou's,comment on the weather for camping in Matomi,we are open to suggestions.

The question is where do we meet,due to the nomads location,some live here in the states,some live in baja.

Neal Johns - 1-30-2008 at 09:31 AM

Hook, it is soft sand the last last couple of miles before you drop down into A. Matomi. You got big fat tires?

Hook - 1-30-2008 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Hook, it is soft sand the last last couple of miles before you drop down into A. Matomi. You got big fat tires?

No way, Jose. Just the stock 265-75-16s. No bueno.

I'd say at the elevation of the rancho, o'nite lows in the 30s are likely. NOthing that firewood and a small propane heater for the tent cant take care of, until you slide in the sleeping bag.

David K - 1-30-2008 at 11:42 AM

Hook, elgatoloco got his big Ford with Callen camper in there, in 2001.

However, it is VERY rough... slow, rocks, overgrown trees to scratch your paint... Have you seen all the photos?

2001 Matomi Trip: Tacoma, Subaru Brat, VW Bug, Tacoma, Tacoma, Ford

In 2004, GeoRock's H-2 and Mike Humfreville's Suburban both drove in without a problem:

I just want you to be aware that it is a 4WD trail the last 5 miles up to the ranch/ oasis... and there is about 8 miles on the south end of the Valle Chico road that have lots of whoops from the cross-grain and off road racers... Otherwise, the rest of the Valle Chico road from San Felipe is fast stuff. If you go out via Arroyo Matomi, the sand/ gravel is deep... 4WD and deflated tires... Very beautiful, however!

[Edited on 1-30-2008 by David K]

Hook - 1-30-2008 at 12:10 PM

I think if I did this, it would have to be the virgin trip of my new Jeep. Tent camping all the way; I dont want the headache of the Ford/Lance combo back there. I would guess that I probably have AT LEAST 2000 lbs of weight on elgatoloco's rig.

The wife will NOT like those overnight lows w/o the Lance. I'd say I am a longshot, at best.

El Camote - 1-30-2008 at 01:47 PM

Here's my take on the trip. Why don't we just get an early start on Sunday morning, make it to the rancho by midday for lunch and leave ourselves enough time to get out before dark. Those that want to camp can stay and the rest of us can camp nearer the beach where it'll be considerably warmer overnight.

Guess which camp I'm in? Have camped in the back country in the fall when I wasn't expecting it to drop down to the low 40's and froze my tookus off. Never again. Besides, I'd rather not have the hassle and carry the extra weight of camping gear on the drive in.

Hook, you know you want to break-in that jeep and you won't be disappointed in this trip! :yes:

Hook - 1-30-2008 at 03:01 PM

Your beach camp on both ends idea is a good one. Probably 15 degrees warmer at night.

How far below Bahia Santa Maria does the Valle Chico route start. Or is it actually north of there?

BAJACAT - 1-30-2008 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Here's my take on the trip. Why don't we just get an early start on Sunday morning, make it to the rancho by midday for lunch and leave ourselves enough time to get out before dark. Those that want to camp can stay and the rest of us can camp nearer the beach where it'll be considerably warmer overnight.

Guess which camp I'm in? Have camped in the back country in the fall when I wasn't expecting it to drop down to the low 40's and froze my tookus off. Never again. Besides, I'd rather not have the hassle and carry the extra weight of camping gear on the drive in.

Hook, you know you want to break-in that jeep and you won't be disappointed in this trip! :yes:
I like your idea Camote,we can have A EARLY start,enjoy Matomi and then return,like I say every suggestion counts..

El Camote - 1-30-2008 at 03:13 PM

North. 'bout 8 miles north of town via Saltito rd. or the shortcut past the dump. I think there's a new road as well that parallels Saltito but a few clicks south.

I'd say at least 15 degree difference overnight. Which to me is the difference between getting up in the middle of the night to shed some beer or remaining in a fetal position in your sleeping bag with a screaming bladder, waiting for the morning sun. :bounce:

BAJACAT - 1-30-2008 at 03:20 PM

So what you guys want to do. Meet somewhere in San Felipe early saturday,quick trips around the area,lets see, the sulfur mine,valle de Gigantes,shell island ect ect,and then camp on beach.On Sunday a early start,drive to Matomi, expend the day there.come back to town,camp on the beach again, or if nomads want to leave on SUNDAY,it's an option too.

Any more:light:

Hook - 1-30-2008 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
North. 'bout 8 miles north of town via Saltito rd. or the shortcut past the dump. I think there's a new road as well that parallels Saltito but a few clicks south.

I'd say at least 15 degree difference overnight. Which to me is the difference between getting up in the middle of the night to shed some beer or remaining in a fetal position in your sleeping bag with a screaming bladder, waiting for the morning sun. :bounce:

In one sentence, you have captured the difference between 15 degrees better than anything I have ever read. :lol:

Gadget - 1-30-2008 at 04:51 PM

I will be leaving my Truck and Trailer at Tony Telliers place most likely at Petes camp.
As a suggestion, there is nice camping on the beach there, with palapas, showers up at the restaurant, food, bar, etc.
Easy onto the dirt on Zoo road to Morelia junction and south to the springs.
Can come back to town each night if we want.
Wheel down Huatamote, Matomi or whatever.
I will at some point be scouting a pit location for the 250 for Locos Mocos.
It will be very cold for sure camping up in any of the washes.

BajaWarrior - 1-30-2008 at 05:37 PM

Hey guys, we'll be there on that weekend, and may even join you. We've made the trip to Rancho Matomi a couple of times now, but we've gone there from the south at Arroyo Matomi above Puertocitas.

It sounds like some of you may be staying at Nuevo Mazatlan, if anyone needs to store anything at my beach house, I'm only 1/2 mile north of the campground.

In fact, I will be there from February 8th until the 22nd or so.

David K - 1-30-2008 at 06:22 PM

There are many options on a trip like this... The area south and south-west of San Felipe is a Mecca for us off roaders and four wheelers!

There are 3 primary ways to get to Matomi from San Felipe (or Nuevo Mazatlan):

1) From El Dorado Ranch, north of town the Saltito/ Morelia or 'Zoo' road... now starts at the large storage facility south of the new gas station and the original road at the big Rockadile billboard... goes into Valle Chico and a left fork takes you southbound to Matomi. FAST and easy until about 8 miles from Arroyo Matomi. In 2001 we drove to Matomi this way from our camp at El Camote's place and exited via Arroyo Matomi and then back north on Hwy. 5.

2) Going up Arroyo Matomi from Hwy. 5 (about 10 miles north of Puertecitos)... almost 30 miles of deep arroyo sand and uphill with the final additional 5 miles to the ranch being very rocky. A full road log with photos of this route is at: http://vivabaja.com/618/page4.html

It's a great drive... but I think it is best if driven downhill (when leaving Matomi). Here's a photo as it enters the Matomi Narrows:

3) Cañada el Parral ('Azufre Wash' or 'Crazy Horse Canyon') which is a really great canyon and pass through the coastal mountains from just south of the sulfur mine to Valle Chico. It intesects the San Felipe/ Valle Chico road about 8 miles north of Matomi Canyon.

This is the way we went in from Nuevo Mazatlan in 2004, and exited down Arroyo Matomi to return to Nuevo Mazatlan.

When you enter Valle Chico coming from the Sulfur Mine, this is the view as the road follows the fence put across the valley in the early 80's by the ejido:

Here is a GPS road log of the 2004 Matomi Gang trip:

GPS DATA (with elevation) @ map datum NAD27

Nuevo Mazatlan: 30°43.31'/ 114°42.32' (22 ft.)

Tour route west at Hwy. 5: 30°43.44'/ 114°42.82' (44 ft.)

Old main road south, near sulfur mine: 30°42.76'/ 114°46.73' (347 ft.)

El Parral Canyon road: 30°41.51'/ 114°46.42' (397 ft.)

Fork: left to lower Matomi (17.7 mi.), go right (for Parral): 30°41.30'/ 114°47.22' (482 ft.) Pass through mountain to Valle Chico.

Valle Chico and Parral road junction: 30°35.21'/ 115°03.99' (1,780 ft.)

Arroyo Matomi, end of Valle Chico road: 30°29.63'/ 115°01.52' (1,937 ft.)

Rancho El Matomi: 30°27.40'/ 115°04.82' (2,466 ft.)

Jcn. road north 17.7 mi. to Parral road: 30°29.78'/ 114°50.12' (736 ft.)

Hwy. 5 (10 mi. north of Puertecitos): 30°29.42'/ 114°39.99' (112 ft.)

Map of the area covered by the GPS log:

Map from 2004 of Valle Chico roads I traveled:

Whichever way you guys go or whatever you guys decide to to, don't worry... You will have a great time!! Do plan on COLD nights, even on the beach... so be prepared!

Once again, look at our photos from the 2004 Matomi Gang Campout and day trips... It was great fun: http://vivabaja.com/204

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by David K]

Gadget - 1-30-2008 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Hey guys, we'll be there on that weekend, and may even join you. We've made the trip to Rancho Matomi a couple of times now, but we've gone there from the south at Arroyo Matomi above Puertocitas.

It sounds like some of you may be staying at Nuevo Mazatlan, if anyone needs to store anything at my beach house, I'm only 1/2 mile north of the campground.

Thanks BW, if I can't connect with TT or he isn't going to be around I would like to have a secure place to park the F250 and trailer. Do you have room?

BajaWarrior - 1-30-2008 at 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:

Thanks BW, if I can't connect with TT or he isn't going to be around I would like to have a secure place to park the F250 and trailer. Do you have room?

No problem, I do have a secure and large area for multiple vehicles. I'm definatley going to be there, I'm finishing up the new house on top of the garage.

WE STILL DON;T HAVE A MEETING PLACE?

BAJACAT - 1-30-2008 at 11:38 PM

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by BAJACAT]

bajalou - 1-31-2008 at 10:25 AM

There are some whoops from prior races on the last part of the road in V Chico. Slow going but should be able to make it. And as Neal says, just air down on the soft sand.

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 11:09 AM

Ok guys, what it's going to be, How many people,would like to stay in Pete's Camp,or how many,would like to Stay in Nuevo mazatlan,I need to know so we can post a time and day and location for this trip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerro-Matomi-Baja-CA-Satellite-Print-map...

David K - 1-31-2008 at 12:54 PM

Interesting that you found the Cerro Matomi poster on eBay...?!

They are made in San Diego by a Baja Nomad 'Satellite Man'... His web site is http://www.SatPrints.com and the page with the Matomi poster is: http://www.satprints.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&C...

Here's 'Satellite Man' (Arman) and Kelly at the Pyramid Resort's Book signing #3...

Close Up

David K - 1-31-2008 at 12:59 PM

Here is a close up so you can see the detail of these posters when they are in your home or office:

Valle Chico is in the top left and Arroyo Matomi Narrows can be seen just downstream from where the Valle Chico road drops into Matomi canyon...

I have SatPrints' posters for San Felipe, Puertecitos, Matomi, San Luis Gonzaga, and Bahia de los Angeles on my walls... they're great! http://www.satprints.com

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 01:27 PM

where in this map is the oasis,located DK...

David K - 1-31-2008 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
where in this map is the oasis,located DK...

The close up shot on the Satellite poster? It's not shown... it is about 6 miles to the left of that close up image.

I have Matomi at the rancho/ oasis in my list of 'Baja Locations from Space'... stand by for the link...

THANKS DAVID

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 01:36 PM

David K - 1-31-2008 at 01:37 PM

See Rancho Matomi from space:
RANCHO EL MATOMI

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 01:51 PM

yes i do Thank you senor..it looks like the rd snakes throught out the arroyo...,so are you thinking in join in us? uh uh.

Gadget - 1-31-2008 at 04:46 PM

OK, so I have at least one place to park my tow rig and trailer. Thanks BW, you da man! I just need to know where his place is in relation to our outing.

Also for DK, hey bro, hope you and Liz come, Les asked about that the other night. She, as usual, hopes she's not the only chick.

My question is from all these pics, is the pools and waterfall at Rancho Matomi?
I am also seeing on the map a side road to Agua Caliente? Whats up with that place?
Where is the proposed trip going to? DK or BC can answer.

We really don't care as most of these trails can be navigated round trip in less than a day and be back to town for hot grub.

We have also never stayed at Nuevo Mazatlan so we just need to know a general location on that if we stay there.

For us, we have always stayed at Petes camp cause TT is there and that has been the site of numerous fiestas prior to race day, TT being the off road guru he is. Laury his wife is a real sweety too which is why most of us go there. We also have a friend with a beach house right at the mouth of Matomi where we usally end up at after a day in the dirt. And DK is correct, Matomi is more fun to come down than to go up.

I have really asked more questions than given answers here.
What I do know is Petes camp has good security, is easy to find, food is pretty good, showers/restrooms usally in good working order, big beach to camp on, close to getting on the dirt and is north of town. I had originally posted that it would be fun to camp out in the boonies one night but didn't consider that Les would freeze her hinny off, she probably still will at the beach this time of year but a little less.

We will leave Point Loma in the AM on Friday and head over on I8 to Mexicali to cross. Will be to SF mid day. Plan is hardly none, just get GSB in the dirt and wait for all of you. We can meet where ever the group wants and go from there.

BC, I think since you opened this thread you should just make the call and everyone should agree. There is not any real difficult navigation required in this area so you wouldn't have to take on the trail boss position if you don't want. The crew can decide where or how we want to go somewhere and just point and shoot. Ya all aint gonna be seeing much of me sept for my dust anyhow. Corse I'll have to come back and unstick someone as per usual. You know she's my little mule :lol:

I probably did more planning right there than the whole group will the entire weekend. SF is easy and I aint scard!

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by Gadget]

David K - 1-31-2008 at 05:53 PM

You guys will have fun and do fine...

Wil, Elizabeth doesn't have President's Day off so that's why I said we likely wouldn't be there... Things may change... However, we really like HOT weather or a HOT spring in camp!

Nuevo Mazatlan is a quiet, tree filled campground on a sand beach just a km. south of the Bahia Santa Maria road at Km. 32... See the photos of our last Matomi Gang campout there: http://vivabaja.com/204 also a Nuevo Mazatlan web page I made with some nice photos sent to me by a family in Canada: http://vivabaja.com/nm

The Matomi Oasis/ pool/ waterfall is right behind and below the ranch house... Park between the house and the corral, walk around to the far side of the corral for the steep trail down to the pool (best way to reach it).

Just upstream from the rancho is a place to camp in the blue palms, if you guys want to camp there... Wild Bill and LN did back at our 2001 Matomi group trip.

Agua Caliente Canyon has a huge hot spring that flows so much hot water that it creates a steaming hot stream for several hundred feet to where it junctions with the cool mountain stream in the middle of the canyon. Details from my 4-04 trip there with jide: http://vivabaja.com/404 (also Parral the canyon just north of Matomi, Carrizo, El Cajon canyons are covered).

The spring is on the right side of the canyon, flows down a short distance into a large pool (too hot) and then that is the hot stream heading down the canyon, in the photo.

The road ended 1.1 miles from the hot spring then, however they are being developed with palapas a photo a word has it and the road was extended... I just can't get Baja Lou to get in there with a camera and confirm it... Or Arvada George, who was at Nuevo Mazatlan for New Years, but hasn't given us a trip report yet!!

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by David K]

Gadget - 1-31-2008 at 06:45 PM

Thanks David. Hope things change for Baja Angel and you. Yeah I'm all about warm weather. A month in BCS confirmed that for me.

So we need to confirm that Neuvo Mazatlan is open and facilities function before it can be considered. It looks very nice though.

I would like to check out the hot springs but not sure how much hiking I will be able to do then. Do you have a GPS coordinate (gepis) off the north south road from Morelia junc, seems you call that Valle Chico road, to turn up there? The Locos crew wants to check it out in March.

BajaWarrior - 1-31-2008 at 09:08 PM

Gadget, Nuevo Mazatlan is always open. We are exactly 1/2 mile north at the Santa Maria sign which is exactly 6 miles south of the very large Rancho Percebu (great landmark) sign which is about 16 miles south of town.

BAJACAT, are you going to make the Executive decision as to where we are meeting? Where are you camping?

There is plenty of room at my place, my house is part of a 3 house compound, fenced and or walled and my neighbors wont be down until the 250 race if anyone wants to set up regardless of where we meet on Sunday. Shade is included.

So, count us in. Chuck, my wife Chris and her 12 year old son Geoff.

Not sure what we're driving yet, we have two full time Baja trucks, either an 88' Toyota 4x4, or a 85 Bronco ll 4x4. Both are in excellent working condition, both have been to Matomi in the past year, both with brand new BFG's.

Gadget - 1-31-2008 at 09:25 PM

Thanks so much Chuck. Sounds great.
So gosh guys, Baja Warrior is right in the area where we can hit El Parral.
It sounds like we could leave our camping gear set up safe and sound, wheel for the day, catch some grub in town and have bed waiting.
That is of course if the Warrior family is up for having their compound over run with a bunch of crazy Nomads.

BajaWarrior - 1-31-2008 at 09:34 PM

The more the merrier.

I'll be there alone working from the 8th until the 24th. My wife and her son are coming down just for the holiday weekend, in fact we would appreciate her being able to follow or lead someone back up to the border, during daylight hours on Monday, she is a seasoned Baja driver with a quick Honda CRV.

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 10:32 PM

Sounds good to, thanks Bajawarrior,for the offer, so it's done, will meet in Bajawarrior's house.And gadget, it's not that i don't want to be the trail boss,the thing is Im not Familiar with this area.But like you say,lets have fun,and we can deside what to do when everybody is there.
It looks like this, we will meet in Bajawarrior's house on saturday,side trips from there.early morning sunday will head up to Matomi the easy way and come back down the arroyo. Thanks guys for making this trip possible..

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 10:36 PM

Chuck, thanks, I can wait..uhuhuhu...see you guys there

BajaWarrior - 2-1-2008 at 05:56 AM

Sounds like a plan! I leave on the 8th to go south so I'm sure we'll be able to tighten things up by then. At that point I will be offline, but I will leave you a phone number for me down there plus BajaRob is my neighbor and can give me messages. In fact he may be interested in going, he's in Cabo now.

BAJACAT - 2-1-2008 at 08:50 AM

Chuck, can you give us directions to your place in Baja,you say it's about 6 ml south of Bahia San Maria..thanks.And yes your wife can lead the way to the border,last time I was there I got lost,(mexicali border).

David K - 2-1-2008 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Chuck, can you give us directions to your place in Baja,you say it's about 6 ml south of Bahia San Maria..thanks.And yes your wife can lead the way to the border,last time I was there I got lost,(mexicali border).

You see BajaCat, it all worked out! Chuck is in the Bahia Santa Maria area, not south of it. Nuevo Mazatlan is just south of BSM and Chuck's place.

Gadget, the directions and GPS for Agua Caliente Canyon are in the 404 web page http://vivabaja.com/404

You go right to the center of the abandoned 'town' of Plan Nacional Agrario (Agua Caliente) and take the road that heads straight for the canyon. The map of Valle Chico I drew will help.

Gadget - 2-1-2008 at 11:54 AM

Shoot, I went back into the thread to look at something Chuck posted and lost my whole post.

Thanks Chuck, we all appreciate your kind offer and it will make things simple and centrally located. The directions to his place are in a previous post.

Can you give us a description of some sort of marker you have or can put up at your driveway Chuck? That would be great.

We will be coming in sometime on Friday. Anyone want to hook up and carravan with us from San Diego, let me know.

May stay til Monday to head north, depends on the weather.

BajaCat, no worries, I'll take trail boss. I have all the gepis info in the nav system, so on point or 6 I can call the turns.

Goodies for the trip?:
Properly prepped vehicle
Radio for comm, VHF, CB, WT, not mandatory but makes it fun. Will sort out how to talk to each other when we are all together.
Good spare, jack, lug wrench
Vehicle tools and supplies
Human supplies
Foul weather gear
TP
Shovel
You all know the drill and if not ask ;D

Looking forward to this weekend and meeting more Nomads.

For all you that have been lurking to see if this is going to come off, there ya go. Time to jump in now too

David, got it all. Thanks for all the info bro

ALSO FOLKS,
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE EVERYONE CONSIDER WHICH DAY OUR MAIN TRAIL RIDE WILL BE. IF EVERYONE WHO IS INTERESTED CAN BE DOWN FOR AN AM START ON SATURDAY, I THINK THAT WOULD BE BEST. I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND MAKE BOTH RANCHO MATOMI AND AGUA CALIENTE ON THE SAME TRIP OUT AS THEY ARE BOTH OUT AT THE END OF THE EL PARRAL TRAIL. JUST IN CASE SOMEONE BREAKS FAR OUT AND IT TAKES A WHILE TO GET EM EXTRACTED. THEN WE CAN FART AROUND DOING WHAT EVER ON SUNDAY AND FOLKS CAN HEAD NORTH AT THEIR LEASURE. FEEDBACK???

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by Gadget]

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by Gadget]

BajaWarrior - 2-1-2008 at 04:25 PM

The road for my house is at the sign that says "Bahia Santa Maria", which is approximately 25 miles SOUTH of town. Rancho Percebu (large sign) is about 6 miles NORTH of me and NORTH of that by a mile is "OH chit DIP" (These are great landmarks)

Go straight on the road until you literally hit the water/white corral fence and the road bends left.

My house is the 4th house once you have gone left, and there are only houses on the right (water side), oh yeah, its a two story, right on the road, biggest house around, all brick, second story covered deck in back, Casa #24 sign in plain view, green facsia, red window trim,........

White Super Duty black rack with SANFLPA plates, red Toyota 4x4 with rack, green Bronco ll 4x4...

VHF Ch. 69

You'll see it.

Gadget, I'll u2u some phone numbers also this evening, BAJACAT too.

[Edited on 2-3-2008 by BajaWarrior]

Gadget - 2-1-2008 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
The road for my house is at the sign that says "Bahia Santa Maria".

Go straight on the road until you literally hit the water/white corral fence and the road bends left.

My house is the 4th house once you have gone left, and there are only houses on the right (water side), oh yeah, its a two story, right on the road, biggest house around, all brick, second story covered deck in back, Casa #24 sign in plain view, green facsia, red window trim,........

White Super Duty black rack with SANFLPA plates, red Toyota 4x4 with rack, green Bronco ll 4x4...

VHF Ch. 69

You'll see it.

Gadget, I'll u2u some phone numbers also this evening, BAJACAT too.

There you go everyone. Be there or be square. Excludes Square circle cause he's already squarecircle :smug:

David K - 2-1-2008 at 04:39 PM

Having the main day trip on Sunday worked best the previous two group trips because not everyone can or wants to drive down Friday or Friday night... Some who don't have to be at work Friday may, but most will only have the 3 day weekend off (Sat.-Mon.).

We did shorter day trip on Saturday (Sulfur Mine, Shell Island, etc.).

The Matomi run was on Sunday (try and get an early start to have more time there and maybe the hot springs too).

Monday was casual to pack up and head home. In 2004 we went to the sulfur mine Monday morning, it is only 5 miles from Nuevo Mazatlan or Bahia Santa Maria.

Just letting you guys know what worked well before... Also, Nomad vehicles never break down!:light:;D

Mexray's little Subaru Brat with 13" tires did the whole trip in '01. He hit something and heard a noise for awhile then hit another rock and the noise went away! We called it the 'Self-repairing' Brat!!

Nuevo Mazatlan to Matomi via Azufre Pass, from space

David K - 2-1-2008 at 05:50 PM

Nuevo Mazatlan to Sulfur Mine

Parral/ Azufre Pass road at Old Puertecitos road (low resolution)

Halfway through the mountain in 'Azufre Pass'

Cañada el Parral road reaches fence line in Valle Chico

Azufre Pass/ Cañada el Parral road at Valle Chico road

Valle Chico road grade down to Arroyo Matomi

Matomi Airstrip (staright section of the road in)

Rancho el Matomi

Click on any of these links, enlarge the new window, and you can scroll off the linked image and follow the road, as well as zoom out or in.

[Edited on 2-2-2008 by David K]

To Agua Caliente Hot Springs as seen from space

David K - 2-1-2008 at 06:29 PM

This link is centered on the fork of the Valle Chico/ Matomi road with the Cañon Agua Caliente road, in the middle of the mostly abandoned ejido village.

Plan Nacional Agrario (Agua Caliente ejido)

Canyon Entrance

Previous end of road in canyon

Hot spring

The hot springs are on the left side of the arroyo, and the hot stream is barely visible... the mountain stream is on the right side.

BajaWarrior - 2-1-2008 at 06:58 PM

Hey guys, are we coming in the north end up by El Dorado?

Or the south end where Arroyo Matomi meets Hwy. 1?

MAYBE ENTER ON THE SOUTH END AND EXIT ON THE NORTH END?

What is the preferance?

How about the other guys and gals on the roster, still up for the trip?

Where are people staying? Early start for sure Sunday morning. Sunrise at 6 a.m.

If we're doing a meet at my house, I have enough coffee to cover everyone, two Mr. Coffee's going, with creamer and Kahlua if you want! Just need a number of persons is all when we get closer.

Here are my numbers:

619-823-8563 San Diego and for leaving messages

619-957-0485 For while I'm in Baja, if I don't answer leave a message on the other line, I check it often. Messages cannot be retrieved on this phone while roaming. But I can access messages on the San Diego phone, go figure. I have literally thousands of roll over minutes.

Again, I leave San Diego on Feb. 8th en la tarde.

ccherry@san.rr.com
Chuck

[Edited on 2-2-2008 by BajaWarrior]

[Edited on 2-2-2008 by BajaWarrior]

Gadget - 2-1-2008 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Having the main day trip on Sunday worked best the previous two group trips because not everyone can or wants to drive down Friday or Friday night... Some who don't have to be at work Friday may, but most will only have the 3 day weekend off (Sat.-Mon.).

Quote:

Feed back means you're going David, that's great!

Seriously, was talking to Leslie over dinner and she has to work on Friday, so we will leave on Saturday also. Main trail ride will be Sunday.

She also was just informed that I have taken on the trail boss duty, that is if yaallelhavemee. She wanted me to inform everyone, which I think I already have, that I will be a little over 3 weeks out from surgery on a knee and shoulder. Can't see it being an issue on my end other than doing my business or maybe digging the truck out of a stuck. It will for sure slow me down behind the wheel which is bad for me, not you guys. So there, I can show her it's official, you all know. If ya want to replace me, just try it :fire:

See you Saturday driving down or at Chucks.

Oh heh, I always wanted to know how to put my quote in a quote box, now I know. :o

[Edited on 2-2-2008 by Gadget]

Neal Johns - 2-1-2008 at 11:52 PM

I am still up for the trip.

David K - 2-2-2008 at 09:13 AM

Gadget, you won't get stuck! However, you do need to deflate if you go on Shell Island, Saturday!

Chuck, you didn't mention the third and SHORTEST way to Matomi or Agua Caliente Canyon... Azufre Wash/ Pass or in the Almanac: Cañada el Parral which leaves the old Puertecitos road less than 2 miles south of the sulfur mine.

Neal Johns, great !!! You guys have nothing to fear now, Neal is going!:biggrin:

[Edited on 2-2-2008 by David K]

Gadget - 2-2-2008 at 11:41 AM

One place I will not be going to is Shell Island. Unless the tide is out so far that the estuary dries up, there is no way I would purposely coat the chassi of GSB with salt mud unless it was an emergency.

El Parral is how I have the trip mapped out, to get us out there and see the sights first, then we can burn daylight.

We are looking to set up a pit for the 250 at the top of Azufre which our insider says is going to be on course, so I am going to head out there on Saturday and scout that. Will have current conditions for the crew run on Sunday. TT said there is big interest for the 250 and most all the lodging in town is already booked. Score is starting to set course this weekend.

That's great Neal, look forward to meeting you and others.

Sign on Nomads, we got a great base camp location thanks to Chuck and some beautiful desert to play in.

[Edited on 2-2-2008 by Gadget]

Hook - 2-2-2008 at 03:32 PM

Tides wont be that extreme that weekend. But at low tide, you might still be able to access "Shell Island" from Percebu by driving along the beach. No mud to deal with the last time I did this in an import truck.

David K - 2-2-2008 at 06:32 PM

Please don't drive across the empty lagoon to get onto the island... It's not worth it! The standard access in the middle will be dry if it is a quarter moon phase...

Bajaboy - 2-2-2008 at 07:17 PM

Found out that we have Bajababy :bounce: on the way so we'll be visiting family that weekend. Have a great trip.

Zac

BajaWarrior - 2-2-2008 at 07:46 PM

Hey Gadget.

I'll show you the secret (and safe) way to Shell Island.

Pages:  1    3