BajaNomad

Beware (12/18): Laguna Salada

Ken Cooke - 12-18-2007 at 02:17 PM

This place is "the perfect mud-pit". Mud-Terrain tires, Lockers, and a compliant suspension are no match to this messy quagmire of a road this salt-flat has become. Wait until Spring '08, or "Travel if you dare"

Mango - 12-19-2007 at 09:52 AM

Thanks for the update Ken. I was out there last month and everything was fine; but, a storm came in then next day and I am sure it was a mess afterwards.

There is a higher and drier north south road to the west for anyone needing to get though/into the area while the laguna is drying out.

Guadalupe Canyon (Sept. '06)

David K - 12-19-2007 at 11:07 AM

Last time down there, it was wet on the lakebed... and we were halfway to the canyon when the mud became soft....

The Cooper Discoverer STTs and the Tacoma 4WD plowed right through it. The weight of the Salada mud was so great, that it ripped all of the mud flaps off!

We came back out on the graded road along the west side of the valley, as Mango said.

The photos from that trip: http://vivabaja.com/906

Ken Cooke - 12-19-2007 at 11:38 AM

Victor and I were at the very edge of the lakebed when it became soft and you couldn't control the vehicles. So, we turned around. Too much LODO for us to worry about... :o

BAJACAT - 12-19-2007 at 01:37 PM

two years ago we got cought by a storm ,coming back from G-canyon it was to late to go back,so we made our way throught it with difficulty.it took the guy at the carwash(in mexico)about 50 minutes to clean all the undercarriage.sorry I dont have any pix,but I will never do that again thats some mean mud..

Ken Cooke - 12-19-2007 at 01:39 PM

The mud was already packing in the tires as we drove up to the edge of the Lakebed to air down for the trip.