BajaNomad

Dirty Cops in Ensenada

thebajarunner - 3-31-2004 at 02:12 PM

They're back!!!
As if they ever left.
Sunday one of our Baja Boys stayed in the 'Burb while the rest were shopping. He was sitting at the wheel, parked, reading the LATimes, smoking a cigar and had a beer in a plain plastic cup on the dash holder. (yep, not a good move, we all agree with that)
Street cop walks by, reaches in, smells the cup, orders him out of the car and "let's go to the station for a few hours and a $200 fine!"
After some negotiations the cop accepted $60 (US) told him to pour out the beer and went on down the street.
Not bad pay for a Sunday afternoon in Ensenada, I would say.
So, I guess the hope-for sanitizing of the local police force is still not a done deal and I guess the price has gone up as well.

Anyone out there have the opportunity to rat on this super-fink cop?? Would be nice to pass the word along to the Ensenadans who claim to have cleaned up their act!!

Baja Arriba!!

FrankO - 3-31-2004 at 02:32 PM

What would the fine be in Oakdale? Curioso. Sounds like you had a great trip. I'll be down there end of next week and we just got back a week or so ago. Gotta love that place.

kookbusters - 3-31-2004 at 03:29 PM

The cop didn't plant the beer in the car.

He got off easy.

Should know better than to have an open beer in your rig ESPECIALLY in Ensenada, ESPECIALLY during spring break.

Bob H - 3-31-2004 at 04:19 PM

Frank O
If you are going into Ensenada stop by the taco stand I recommended for some out of this world shrimp or fish tacos. See my thread under this section on "Highly Recommended Taco Stand" for photos and directions.
Bob H

the point is that the crooked cop kept the money

BajaVida - 3-31-2004 at 05:06 PM

does anyone believe that the money made it to the Ensenada treasury?

Kook- you missed the point

thebajarunner - 3-31-2004 at 05:56 PM

Hey mon,
I already said our guy screwed up....
But, if the day of serious 'cop grift' is back in Ensenada then folks need to know it.

By the way, according to our resident legal experts, "open container" is a citeable offense/misdemeanor, in California and the fine is somewhere less than $200.....
and, sir, it goes into the County Treasury, not the cop's pocket!

Baja Arriba!!

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by thebajarunner]

Dave - 3-31-2004 at 05:59 PM

"the point is that the crooked cop kept the money"

That is NOT the point. Stupid is the point.

Dave - 3-31-2004 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Hey mon,
I already said our guy screwed up....
But, if the day of serious 'cop grift' is back in Ensenada then folks need to know it.

By the way, according to our resident Superior Court judges (several of whom were on our trip) "open container" is a citeable offense/misdemeanor, in California and the fine is somewhere less than $200.....
and, sir, it goes into the County Treasury, not the cop's pocket!

Baja Arriba!!

So, you and your friend would have been perfectly happy and morally gratified if instead of $60 in the cops pocket he would have taken your friend to jail and the judge would fine him $200?

Pendejos!

FrankO - 3-31-2004 at 07:08 PM

I think the point is cultural. I certainly don't expect too much change in my lifetime. I would like to try that stand. Looks great. Actually I meant I was heading to Bahia. Apparently I am not the greatest communicator when I am tired.

Uncle Jack - 4-1-2004 at 06:37 AM

People have been trying to save/change Mexico for the last 500 years with varying degrees of success. If you plan to come to Mexico, or live in Mexico, leave all preconceived notions at the border.

Advice for next trip

BajaRick - 4-1-2004 at 09:13 AM

Baja runner:
I suggest that your buddy learn from his lesson and FIRST go to the local McDonalds and order a soda, pour the beer in the McD's cup put the lid on and go about reading the LA Times in the car.

I personally would rather give $60 to the cop than $100 to the city.
BR

Roberto - 4-1-2004 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankO
Apparently I am not the greatest communicator when I am tired.

LOL. Fortunately, you make up for it when you're awake and alert. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the info

Hook - 4-1-2004 at 11:03 AM

Without passing judgement on ANYONE, I'd just like to thank you for informing us of the continuing existence of this practice.

Information is power.

FrankO - 4-1-2004 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

LOL. Fortunately, you make up for it when you're awake and alert. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's funny!

The continueing existance

jrbaja - 4-1-2004 at 12:58 PM

of this practise is generally appreciated by everyone down here. If the same were to happen in california, you would get to spend a lot of money, deal with it not immediately but months later, and have a problem with your insurance companyas well.
And then the fine would go to building weapons of mass destruction, a better lawn for the politicos, and perhaps sponsor a trip for some congressmans friends to Cuba or Hawaii or somewhere.
Personally, I would rather see food on the cops table in Ensenada than have it go to someone of a higher rank that doesn't need the money nearly as much as a street cop.
And that's the way it is. And will continue to be no matter what is expected from the foreigners.
Happy law breaking :lol:

Jr baja, I might agree with you....

Hook - 4-1-2004 at 05:17 PM

....if you're referring to cases where laws are actually broken (like in this case).

What about the manufactured traffic infractions the TJ and Ensenada police are so famous for?

Me No - 4-1-2004 at 05:44 PM

If you are brave, thats when you start saying things like Sindicatura, and requesting to go to the police station. Beware, Mexicans really don't like to be put down, lose face, to Americans in their own county. Things just may go badly if you present this kind of attitude. The thing that works for me is complete humility.

Bajarunner is a former judge so he is all for fining people, but I guess he feels baja is a law free zone, and his friends should be exempt. Probably much like it is in the states for him whenever he needs to use his power to get his ass out of trouble. Maybe even his "friends".

For all you people out there who travel south with your american centric mind set, GET A CLUE. Mexico is not America. Respect the people and their culture and there is a chance you just might learn something.

Baja Bernie - 4-2-2004 at 09:57 PM

Damn! Me No--what utter sense you make. About 45 years of wandering around down here and respecting the culture and enjoying the people and I have only been stopped twice--Had nice discussions and was on my way. Cops, no matter from what contry, have no need to invent violations. We just let the fools make them. The end result is that they receive some form of punishment.
I once had dinner with a bunch of Judges and Ray Kroc--one of the judges, while in his cups, described Ray as an uneducated fool--Guess who the fool was. Answer the judge who was always in his cups--even on the bench.
Justice is not blind--it just stumbles a lot.
Viva Baja!!!

Bernie

David K - 4-2-2004 at 10:19 PM

What does "in his cups" mean?

Dave - 4-2-2004 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What does "in his cups" mean?

Drunk

Me no

Skeet/Loreto - 4-3-2004 at 04:01 AM

Very well Spoken!!
Now as I recall an incident that happened approaching the Panhandle City of Amarillo, Texas

\I was tooling along one fine morning in my little Red Toyota headed for a Dancing Date with a Beauitiful lady in Oklahoma City, when alongside of me arrived a Texas Cruiser,the officer glance to his right,backed off and gave me the Red Lights.
He approached the Drivers side and said to me as he walked up"You did not have your safety Belt on". I lifted the strap and said "Yes I Did'.He ask me to get out of the Car where he ask me three Questions:
1: Did I have over $10,000 Cash on my person?
2: Did I have any dope in my Car:
3: Could he Search my Vehicle?

I answered that it was "None of his business How much Money I carried on my Person!
I did not have any dope in my Car or on my Person!
No~! he could not Search my Car unless he had a Search Warrant!
I was beginning to doubt my actions becauseof his Size,when he Called in a Lady Officer with a very Large Dog,she proceeded around the Vehicle with the Dog sniffing me and the Vehicle,gave me a cleanbill of Health!

The very large officer gave me a Warning ticket for having "No seat Belt as required.i so imformed the Officer that I Did ,In fact, have my seat Belt attached!
then I went beyond my good Sense and told the officer that if he would come up to Montana,that 'He could learn How to me a Real Man and Get an Honest Job!

He backed off and let me Go! Surprised I was!
Moral of this Story on this Thread!
"It can Happen anywhere at any Place,anytime!" and in any Country,so relax,enjoy Baja and accept the Culturle as you find It.
Skeet/Loreto

In God I Trust"

"

cabonut - 4-6-2004 at 11:42 AM

Don?t get the "dirty" part . . . you could always have gone to police station, been charged with having open alcohol in the vehicle, paid the fine or done the time and thus established your moral superiority.

Who is less moral - the briber or bribee?

my 2 cents

Frontera - 4-14-2004 at 02:46 PM

Hello all.... I'm new here.

I've been racially profiled several times in good ol America. No hard feelings it just comes with the territory of being perceived as "sucessful" or when you "fit the profile". I still vote, pay taxes, and enjoy life. One misguided officer thinking he's doing his job, does not ruin my day. There are abuses of power no matter which side of the frontera you happen to be on. Just my 2 cents. :tumble:

JR

Big Al - 4-15-2004 at 09:05 AM

JR:

your hate for America and authority continues to amaze me. Why would you care who's crooked pocket it goes into. It is stealing.

Both are at fault!!! I have been stopped by cops for made up infractions in Baja on several occasioins. I don't pay the bribe. I seem to not pay anything that way. If I don't put cash into his pocket, he will move on to the next Gringo that he creates an infraction for.

Big Al

My hate for america

jrbaja - 4-16-2004 at 08:08 AM

is not just my opinion. And it's not ahate for america, it's a hatred for corruption and government control which is so prevalent there.
I have gotten out of problems in the U.S. because of being with influential friends. A well known judges son to be exact and he was drunk and driving. The cops statement, "have a good night".
Obviously we were quite happy with the outcome but as far as what is right goes = money is power in the u.s. as well.

Hey! JR mi Amigo

Baja Bernie - 4-18-2004 at 04:40 PM

Will you accept that where there is money the power follows?
Making a bamboo house does not require much money but I'll bet even there someone has power

Fines

bajalou - 4-18-2004 at 07:44 PM

I have found that the fine I pay here in Mexico is usually less than the bribe I think of offering. Speeding - fine $16 US, running stop sign $8 US. (My favorite things to do) I've been stopped twice, once here on Mex 5 near San Felipe, the other time Mex 1 outside La Paz for no tail lights (blown fuze) I got the sniff test and when I passed that was told to get it fixed as soon as I could. The speeding and stop signs were here in San Felipe. Some time in a earlier life I learned to "don't do the crime if you can;t do the time"
Once I was stopped for somthing I didn't do and said "Let's go to the station" and the cop said "don't do it again" and left.

[Edited on 4-19-2004 by bajalou]

[Edited on 4-19-2004 by bajalou]