BajaNomad

Is Oso still out there?

BajaVida - 3-31-2004 at 05:09 PM

I have not seen a post by him in a long time. I miss his comments and perspective.

Hope he is ok and celebrating C?sar Ch?vez' birthday today.:cool:

Santiago - 3-31-2004 at 07:28 PM

FYI: Oso posts at baja.net

Roberto - 4-1-2004 at 12:03 PM

True. He is also moderator of a forum there, Language and Culture of Mexico.

what is the url for that site? can't find it

BajaVida - 4-1-2004 at 02:23 PM

it's www.baja.net

capt. mike - 4-1-2004 at 03:29 PM

come on ova! as my italian buddy from new york says......you'll like the forums and the people who really get out and do "the baja"....with apologies to the late Don Jaime!

Captain Mike

Baja Bernie - 4-2-2004 at 10:05 PM

Are you going to be able to make the book signing at the Pyramid this year?
There will be a table honoring Don Jimmy.
I have a small number of his books which he signed while in the VA. We kidded around about them being worth sometime and now they are. The collectors are willing to pay a good price to secure almost one of a kind books and all of the money goes to his family. Anyone interested can contact me at bernieswaim@caballeropublishing OR just wait for the May 1st deal at Keri's

not sure yet. may ride my scooter down.

capt. mike - 4-3-2004 at 05:47 AM

will keep it in mind though. depends sorta on esposa's schedule and if i need to be home in phx.

Captain Mike

Baja Bernie - 4-4-2004 at 01:48 PM

Did you see Keri's post on having TJ Beer doing samples at the May 1st book signing?

yeah, that would be good but hope they'll

capt. mike - 4-5-2004 at 12:29 PM

be more liberal on the pourings than the la cetto people were last year. the scripts amounted to about a buck a taste - and then you got what.....5 or 6 tastes....should have been waived if you bought some bottles which i did. I went to a tasting at san felipe the week before the 250 this year and 3 wineries from guad valle were showcasing all you could taste for FREE!! and again i bought several . that one put the pyamid's efforts on wine promo to shame... i don't blame Keri, the winery should have offered her a better deal for those willing to purchase.

David K - 4-5-2004 at 09:39 PM

Hi Mike, since I was there also, I am wondering if they were treating pilots different, like the airports with tourist cards and landing fees LOL!?

They didn't charge (me) for the tasting, but I only tried 4 (I think). I don't know what a 'script' is, unless that is the score card (again no charge)... and it wasn't L.A. Cetto... it was Domeneq (sp?). So, give Keri's party another chance... I am looking forward to the T.J. Beer tasting and GeoRock's tequila tasting, again!!! http://davidksbaja.com/503

right you are....it was Domeq. hell, i can't spell

capt. mike - 4-6-2004 at 01:53 PM

it either...Domec? Domeque?....

Anyway they do make some great goods.

Scripts are what you get at events so the proponeters are not charged with selling beyond the bounds of the liquor control board. May show up, one never knows, last year it rained....hell on a bike.

Oso is alive and welldone...

Oso - 4-6-2004 at 07:27 PM

Gracias por la flor, Bajavida. Most of my internet time lately has been focused on translating the work of Ing. Arturo Ortega Moran. Arturo makes rustic furniture in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, and as a hobby researches the origin of common expressions in Spanish (etymology). He writes a column called "Por que decimos lo que decimos" (Why we say what we say) published in various Hispanic newspapers in the U.S. He has also written a book (self-published) called "Hasta que me cayo el veinte". I'm translating (more or less) his weekly columns over at baja.net and trying to help him peddle his book. It's in Spanish, 270 pages with some cartoon illustrations. If anyone is interested, shoot me a u2u for details, $13.50 anywhere in the U.S.

Cesar Chavez

Oso - 4-6-2004 at 07:33 PM

BTW, I live 1/4 mile from Cesar Chavez Elementary in San Luis, AZ, where he was born, where he died, and where his spirit lives on.

My Two Cents...Oso's column is fascinating

Gypsy Jan - 4-6-2004 at 07:53 PM

I've been reading and re-reading his contributions. They are comprehensive, enlightening and thought provoking. I am always uncertain if I have chewed the bone thouroughly.

Please keep it up Oso!

Oso's column on the "other" board is very interesting

BajaVida - 4-7-2004 at 07:38 AM

Oso, do you have En Pocas Palabras, a book of Spanish phrases with English translations? It is very amusing and informative. I highly recommend it.:cool:

book

Oso - 4-7-2004 at 03:22 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for it.

It was compiled by Jos? Antonio Burciaga

BajaVida - 4-7-2004 at 08:08 PM

who used to teach at Stanford.

Hope you can find the book.:cool:

[Edited on 4-8-2004 by BajaVida]

OSO

Baja Bernie - 4-8-2004 at 06:23 PM

I also miss your posts from the old Amigo's board. Once you touted the book "The Pig in the Barber Shop" I ended up with two copies and it is all you said it was. Funny--funny--and captures the essense of Mexican humor.
Thanks