BajaNomad

Riding a bicycle down Baja

Pages:  1  2

Sallysouth - 1-26-2008 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadedom
Gibson must be in politics....probably anti- Pledge of Allegiance too.... Hope he doesn't drive south while Dave's on the road...

Thanks for the support Nomads-God Bless all of you!
:lol::lol::yes:;)

Sharksbaja - 1-26-2008 at 10:42 PM

Gibson, snappy comeback. You really missed it tho. We WERE NOT talking to him before. Now he is a real person here. As far as I can see being polite or sarcastic doesn't change the danger factor. It's pretty hard to express that in a nice manner.
He is the one who replied with the most maturity. Much more than his supporters here did. Get it?

Sallysouth - 1-27-2008 at 12:59 AM

Yeah Sharks,Now that this bike person, seems to have two idenities, has given us a really good idea of who/ what he/she is about, I have to say I have respect for the "person and the respect of the hiway "I do have doubts as to how many people are the posters here in regards to the bike guy and his "not so nice" follow up poster.:?:I will try to not feed this any further, the best way to cut out the bad seed, don't plant it.:saint:

[Edited on 1-27-2008 by Sallysouth]

Sharksbaja - 1-27-2008 at 01:16 AM

Very true Sally but alas, I am also sometimes quilty of that.:(

Sallysouth - 1-27-2008 at 01:33 AM

Quilty of what? You make me laugh and that is a very good thing . Nevermind that you stir up some stuff that ruffles my feathers...It's all good. We don't call each other names(bad) Unless we ask for it big time....Oh wait!n I just re-read your post! Yes Senor, you are quilty!! Thanks for the chuckle that will put me to sleep..;D

Mango - 1-27-2008 at 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
"Roads in Baja are not just for cars", yup... I can agree that is true from what I have seen on them... BUT, the fact is they were NOT designed for bike riders to use along with traffic. In other words, there is NO shoulder where a biker can pedal without being in a traffic lane, like most highways in the U.S.

I do respect Dave for posting here and being intelligent enough to know how to share the road with cars that may not be able to safely get around him or thinking that he has some 'special privilages' on a Mexican highway.

I hope your trip is a safe and rewarding one Dave... Thanks again for posting your reaction to our concerns for the safety of you on vacation and others who must use that narrow road in autos or trucks.

David. I agree. There is no bike lane on Hwy 1 in Baja; but, there is rarely a bike lane on roads or highways here in the US either. Bike riders are used to it. The best bike routes through town here in the US are on back roads or side streets that cars don't often use. However, as soon as they leave the city limits, it is usually on a very narrow shoulder that is covered with gravel, broken glass, and other road debris. This may be all but 6" wide and more dangerous to ride on than it would be to share a lane. (I would agree the lanes are generally wider here in the US; but, not always)

In Baja there really is no other viable option besides highway 1 for bikes. Bike riders don't want "special" privileges. They just want people to respect their right of travel and not to run them off the road purposefully in the real world or on the internet. Thats all. Nonetheless, bike riders have to deal with rude and unsafe drivers far more often than most people would ever realize, they are used to it.

There are bad bike riders too. Some riders don't follow the law regarding stop signs, etc.. Pedestrians are also to blame sometimes. No one group of road user is without fault or responsibility.

I've known and seen several people that have been hit by cars or run off the road on both on foot and bicycle. Two of my best friends were hit by a car and seriously injured in a school crosswalk when I was 10. If I had not been home sick that day, I would have been walking with them and most likely had been run over as well. They had the green light and a crossing guard; yet, someone decided their right turn couldn't wait.

:fire:

While the road may be mostly for cars, I'd hope people would show some respect for other road users, even if they are not around or able to defend themselves. Parking lots were made for cars; yet, we all must get out and walk to the store. It always cracks me up to see an impatient person speed through a parking lot with no regard to pedestrians or other people, then get out of their car and walk carelessly to a store across the same parking lot. Someday they may be run down by someone just like themselves.

The best bike lane I've seen in all of Baja is on the toll road between Tecate and La Rumerosa. It's a good 8 feet wide. However; bikes are NOT allowed according to the signage and it is probably a good thing since the speed limit is 120KPH and not 60-80KPH as it is on Hwy 1.

BTW-Here's an interesting video for anyone with some time. It was a BBC Documentary about road rage. Lot's of crazy people in cars, bikes, and on foot. It may seem out of balance at first; but, if you watch it they show MANY bad bike riders (besides the ones in the opening scene) as well as other road users. Very interesting. I'm sure the anti-4x4 people will get you riled up David.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2338091070755237169

Safe travels to all. And I'm glad everyone is being civil. :D

gibson - 1-27-2008 at 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Yeah Sharks,Now that this bike person, seems to have two idenities, has given us a really good idea of who/ what he/she is about, I have to say I have respect for the "person and the respect of the hiway "I do have doubts as to how many people are the posters here in regards to the bike guy and his "not so nice" follow up poster.:?:I will try to not feed this any further, the best way to cut out the bad seed, don't plant it.:saint:

Sally, sally you silly ol' filly you! :lol:
I need your bizarre assumptions like a fish needs a bicycle.

David K - 1-27-2008 at 11:10 AM

Mango wrote: "David. I agree. There is no bike lane on Hwy 1 in Baja; but, there is rarely a bike lane on roads or highways here in the US either"

This is what I wrote:
"...there is NO shoulder where a biker can pedal without being in a traffic lane, like most highways in the U.S."

I said shoulder, not bike lane... Most highways in the U.S. have a shoulder wide enough for bikes to pedal out of the traffic lane. Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin has no shoulder... just a white stripe painted on the edge of the asphalt, beyond which is usually a steep drop off or a cliff.

Nobody here has road rage abainst bicycles, we are just expressing a concern for the safety of a rider who probably has never been south of San Quintin and the hazzard he could be to the people that highway was designed to serve... people who NEED to be on that road, not want to be to fullfill some personal goal.

I did watch some of the BBC video... seems well done. A good point made is that the highway is paid for from gasoline taxes... So, when does a bicycle buy gasoline to contribute to the road he wants equal rights to use?? Interesting point, eh?

Thanks for the link and interaction Mango... I used to ride a bike, and do understand they really don't need much room on the road... But a road with no room to spare isn't a good choice. Ultimately there will always be those cross country bikers on the Baja Highway and we just have to be as carefull as possible when passing them!

Have a great Sunday... It is really wet here in San Diego County today!

tajo - 1-27-2008 at 05:13 PM

At last some nice words for the bikers.
I have one more request to car drivers - If you see a biker on the road, especially on a narrow Mexican road without shoulder - do not honk a horn without a good reason - it is terribly distracting and the shake can cause an accident.
Of course, if the biker is drunk or blocks the road as a cow - you can try to honk, but it is a special case.

Sharksbaja - 1-27-2008 at 05:42 PM

I think we understand the situation. Inferring someone is doing dangerous things can be pretty hard to say nicely. Many of us adventurous types do what many consider irresponsible and dangerous.
I have had many people wonder how and why I will travel alone on a deserted off-the-beaten-path. I tell them the same things you bikers tell of. I become the sole bearer whether it's a secluded beach or being stuck in the sand. Involves nobody else. The biggest difference is if I crash or whatever the mishap, most likely it will never involve endangering others.
When you ply the hiway littered with hazards, and that includes all other vehicles on the road, the odds of involvement with one increases exponentially. Problem with that is, any physical engagement with a bike will usually have tragic results. The road does require all drivers to be prepared for anything. Maybe even one of those UFOs that land regularly on blind curves.:wow:

Sallysouth - 1-27-2008 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibson
Quote:

Sally, sally you silly ol' filly you! :lol:
I need your bizarre assumptions like a fish needs a bicycle.
Who was talking to you? Did ya take your nice pill yet?(guess not):no:

Mango - 1-27-2008 at 07:40 PM

Quote:

This is what I wrote:
"...there is NO shoulder where a biker can pedal without being in a traffic lane, like most highways in the U.S."

I said shoulder, not bike lane... Most highways in the U.S. have a shoulder wide enough for bikes to pedal out of the traffic lane. Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin has no shoulder... just a white stripe painted on the edge of the asphalt, beyond which is usually a steep drop off or a cliff.

Agreed. What I meant to say is that many popular rides or roads here in the US with no "shoulder" either. Hwy 1 in CA, Pinehurst road in the Oakland hills, Mt. Diablo, etc.. etc.. etc.. Hwy 1 in Baja is not that unique, except that it has very few population centers along it and light traffic, which actually makes it better for bike riding than many roads here in the states.

Quote:
Nobody here has road rage abainst bicycles...

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm
YES BRUCE IS RIGHT ON THE $$$$$$$$ :mad: HOPE HE WILL MOVE OUT OF THE WAY WHEN THE NEXT SEMI CUMS AROUND THE CORNER!!! HOW MANY HAVE BEEN RAN OVER ???? I HAVE HAD TO PUSH SOME OFF THE ROAD SO AS NOT TO GET HIT BY THE NEXT TRUCK !!!!!

The above quote sounds like road rage to me. Some people just seem to think that they own the road or their needs are more important than others. How many people "need to be pushed off the road" before it is road rage?

Quote:
Originally posted by David K, we are just expressing a concern for the safety of a rider who probably has never been south of San Quintin and the hazzard he could be to the people that highway was designed to serve... people who NEED to be on that road, not want to be to fullfill some personal goal.

I respect the fact people were genuinely concerned for his well being and the well being of other travelers; but, how many of us gringos really "NEED" to be on that road again? I understand about 18-wheelers and buses. But, boats, RV's? Where do were draw the line and who gets to draw it?

Quote:
Originally posted by David KI did watch some of the BBC video... seems well done. A good point made is that the highway is paid for from gasoline taxes... So, when does a bicycle buy gasoline to contribute to the road he wants equal rights to use?? Interesting point, eh?

I'm glad you watched some of it. You do bring up a good point. Car drivers do tend to pay more road taxes; but, they also are harder on the roads than others users and tend to create more smog than bikes and pedestrians. Many of the roads (freeways) that the taxes go towards are closed to bikes and pedestrians anyways.

Nobody is forcing anyone to drive, it is a "privilege". Generally the more people ride bikes the less cars are on the road. Even people who never drive pay taxes for the roads via paying shipping companies/truckers to bring food and other goods to their local stores.

Roads were around way before fuel users started paying taxes for fuel. The way government taxes road users is a whole other issue IMO. If you want to stick it to the man and not pay any taxes on fuel.. go all electric!

Quote:
Thanks for the link and interaction Mango... I used to ride a bike, and do understand they really don't need much room on the road... But a road with no room to spare isn't a good choice. Ultimately there will always be those cross country bikers on the Baja Highway and we just have to be as carefull as possible when passing them!

Have a great Sunday... It is really wet here in San Diego County today!

Thanks again David. It's funny how we can all agree on 99% of things and spend hours talking about the other 1%.

Have a great Sunday as well... and a good week.

CaboRon - 1-28-2008 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
He'll be just another road hazard for drivers to deal with.:D

Was this the guy on the two lane to Cabo yesterday.... if it was he was a serious hazzard to the auto drivers as he was going up a long hill with no shoulder at about two miles an hour.... no place to pass, and he is wearing an orange construction vest.

These guys have no business on that road, and I do not wish them luck, I only wish they would get off the highway.

CaboRon

bombero - 1-28-2008 at 09:16 AM

Dave, "Caution" Be aware that there are long stretches of Desert between "watering holes". I doubt that a bike can carry enought cold Pacifico to weather more than one nite between such . Dangerous, very Dangerous!!

Mango - 1-28-2008 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

... I do not wish them luck, I only wish they would get off the highway.

CaboRon

Nice attitude. I'm sure it ruined your day.

gibson - 1-28-2008 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
These guys have no business on that road, and I do not wish them luck, I only wish they would get off the highway.

CaboRon

"OUTTA MY WAAAY" teehee

"me, me, me, me"

I got some 'kind' if that would help ya:lol:

timperkins - 2-1-2008 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Was this the guy on the two lane to Cabo yesterday?

No. Judging by the date of Dave's last blog post (1/19), he probably hasn't yet made it to the state line yet.

Quote:

It's been really disappointing to read the opinions on this board about Dave and bicyclists. Cyclists are no more dangerous than pedestrians, animals, children playing by the road, slower vehicles, trucks, RV's, trailers, etc - all of which are seen on the roads in Baja far more than cyclists.

Most of us would never criticize pedestrians or hikers on the road, or the poor guy in front of us pulling a trailer at a slower rate... but a guy on a bike, whoa, he shouldn't be there! If you think cyclists are a danger to you, then YOU are probably the one who isn't driving safely.

I hope if you all run into Dave down in Baja (no pun intended!), you'll be as friendly as I remember everyone being on this board and offer him some BajaNomad hospitality. He's gonna be tired, hungry and in need of a cervaza (or two)!

rts551 - 2-1-2008 at 06:43 PM

Timkins

"Cyclists are no more dangerous than pedestrians, animals, children playing by the road, slower vehicles, trucks, RV's, trailers, etc - all of which are seen on the roads in Baja far more than cyclists"

Hope he makes it...but you have just reinforced the point that it is dangerous to all.

timperkins - 2-1-2008 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551Hope he makes it...but you have just reinforced the point that it is dangerous to all.

*Everything* on and around the road is potentially dangerous. The other cars, RV's and 4x4 vehicles are MUCH more dangerous that Dave. Slow down, share the road, enjoy the diversity and the danger will be reduced for everyone.

Sallysouth - 2-2-2008 at 09:01 PM

Children playing by the road? In all my years traveling that road (lots) That has never been an issue.:?:

Mango - 2-2-2008 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Children playing by the road? In all my years traveling that road (lots) That has never been an issue.:?:

Well, I've noticed them. Usually around San Quentin or El Rosario. Although; most kids stay clear of the road. In general it is a good idea slow down as you approach any town, village, or rancho not only for the sake of safety but just out of respect for the people that live there.

I grew up on a two lane road with a 25MPH speed limit that people would often drive faster than 50MPH+. Several different kids in my neighborhood were hit crossing that road on their way to school during my childhood. Nobody saw them until it was too late.

Either way, kids or no kids, there is no amount of nit picking that will get around the argument that Hwy 1 is full of hazards and the road itself, other road users, and the people that live near the road deserve more respect than they are often given.

Sallysouth - 2-4-2008 at 05:01 PM

I hear ya Mango. I always slow WAAY down going thru towns or villages, ranchos.It is their place , but they pretty much all know that it is a Carretera.Kids included, but not necessarily the animals or the "challenged".

BMG - 2-4-2008 at 11:00 PM

I just heard that Dave is now in Guerrero Negro.

Brave

Desertsurfergal - 2-4-2008 at 11:58 PM

Wow!!! Very brave. Good on you and keep us posted.

Baja Norte

BMG - 2-7-2008 at 08:30 AM

Dave has put an update on his site. An enjoyable read. http://ridesouth.net/

bajajudy - 2-7-2008 at 09:28 AM

Glad to hear that he is doing ok
We met several bicylists on our trip and I kept asking...do you have friends in La Paz that you are going to visit....no luck

CaboRon - 2-20-2008 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:

CaboRon

"OUTTA MY WAAAY" teehee

"me, me, me, me"

I just have to say that going less than two miles an hour on a long hill is not shareing the road. My car won't go that slowly without stalling out.

In the states there is NO bike riding allowed on a highway, mainly for safety reasons. I think the bike rider is selfish.

CaboRon

gibson - 2-20-2008 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CaboRon

"OUTTA MY WAAAY" teehee

"me, me, me, me"

I just have to say that going less than two miles an hour on a long hill is not shareing the road. My car won't go that slowly without stalling out.

In the states there is NO bike riding allowed on a highway, mainly for safety reasons. I think the bike rider is selfish.

CaboRon

nice attempt but ya just pushed a lil' too hard with the last sentence.
keep trying, who knows... one day you may master the art of the 'bait'. not today pobracito (sp)

Dave is in La Paz.

BMG - 2-20-2008 at 08:59 PM

Dave has arrived safely in La Paz. Arrived this afternoon. Will give more of an update later.

BMG - 2-23-2008 at 06:07 PM

It's been fun having Dave stay with us. He hasn't updated him website yet but should do so soon. Don't know how he will be able to put everything in his notes without turning it into a book.

Turns out that he now considers cycling down Baja safer than cycling in the States much of the time. Drivers have been courteous, especially truckers and bus drivers. He's learned to pull over for passing RV's. He's had nothing but positive meetings with locals all the way. Dave says he wishes he could find a way to just keep biking like this the rest of his life. Nice to know he's doing something he enjoys.

While up in TJ, Dave rode a bit with a couple other riders and met a 4th rider. They all split up a short time after with different time frames and agendas. A week of so later he met up with the 4th rider again and they have been traveling together since then. While Dave's plans include riding all the way to the end of Argentina, Amy 'only' plans on riding until June when she has to go back to work. That will probably put them somewhere around Panama.

It's interesting that in my mind I think of hardly anyone cycling the length of Baja. Seems like quite a few riders do it every year. Now we meet a young lady who planned on doing it herself and only through a stroke of luck met someone who seems very compatible and they are riding together. Turns out both are even from the Seattle area. Small world.

We took them over to the Club Cruceros at Marina La Paz and they were able to hitch a ride on a sailboat to Mazatlan. Looks like they'll begin the passage on Tuesday. 4400km down. How many more to the end?

Amy - Ana - Dave in La Paz

Amy_Ana_Dave_Feb20_2008.jpg - 47kB

BMG - 2-23-2008 at 06:10 PM

Quote:

In the states there is NO bike riding allowed on a highway, mainly for safety reasons.

Not quite accurate Ron. No bike riding on many Interstate highways, but many places where there are no restrictions.

Sallysouth - 2-23-2008 at 09:23 PM

Very brave man indeed.Glad he is safe.I would still, never, recommend this ride to anyone.(JMHO)

Mango - 2-24-2008 at 01:33 PM

Quote:

CaboRon

Quote:

... I do not wish them luck, I only wish they would get off the highway.

CaboRon

You really are a piece of work aren't ya?

Who is selfish?

Do you realize that many trucks that carry supplies and goods can only go a few miles an hour up a hill as well? Should they be forced to stop their "selfish" behavior and stop bringing you food?

Bike riders selfish? No. Self-powered and self-sufficient is more accurate.

Use some logic and think about "selfish" next time you blunder down the road in your SUV as you spew out smog my grandchildren will be breathing for years to come.

Keep trolling... it really highlights your good side.
:lol:

Last update.

BMG - 2-26-2008 at 02:40 PM

Dave and Amy boarded the s/v Sweet Dreams this morning and are sailing over to Mazatlan. From now on, they're trip is no longer Baja related. Turns out that Dave is not the best when it comes to updating his site. He never got his update complete while staying here at the house. Even so, you might want to check his site occasionally to see where he is, or was.

Amy_Dave_Greg_Feb26_2008.jpg - 49kB

free casa

BFS - 3-13-2008 at 05:57 AM

Hey there,
I meet these guys/girls doing this crazy peddle every year down here in southern Chile. In fact last week I gave a ride to a couple who had walked from Quito to here. :wow:
Tell Dave he has a fre place to stay here in Puerto Natales on his way through (everyone comes through Puerto Natales as its the jumping off point to Torres del Paine National Park) if he needs it. My home # is 410-009 and we are on the border of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. Of course he needs to be here in the southern summer (Nov-April) as the rest of the year I will be in Baja!!!

Aq

BMG - 3-14-2008 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aqbluegreen
Hey there,
I meet these guys/girls doing this crazy peddle every year down here in southern Chile. In fact last week I gave a ride to a couple who had walked from Quito to here. :wow:
Tell Dave he has a fre place to stay here in Puerto Natales on his way through (everyone comes through Puerto Natales as its the jumping off point to Torres del Paine National Park) if he needs it. My home # is 410-009 and we are on the border of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. Of course he needs to be here in the southern summer (Nov-April) as the rest of the year I will be in Baja!!!

Aq

Aq - I forwarded your message on to Dave. You can follow his travels on his website.

Steve

slow down

chrisx - 11-9-2010 at 12:25 PM

hit the brakes, wait and pass safely.
just as if it was a car

BajaBlanca - 11-10-2010 at 10:35 AM

I had so much fun reading theis thread .... holy smokes, some very candid opinions stated brutally. I recently read an article in a Cabo newspaper about how they have cordoned off an aread downtown where families can bike without cars. and there is a big broohaha about how good an idea this is. some like it, some don't like the inconvenience.

go to China to see zillions of cars and zillions of bikes. it is unreal.

I personally got to thinking that Baja and Baja California Sur might consider making a bike lane. great tourism. no carbon footprint. about as eco-friendly as you can get. I will let all the gvt officials who visit us know about this. A journey and/or change starts but with one step. :yes:

Dave's answer to all the chitchat was the most enlightening of all the posts ... I had never heard the biker's perspective and I loved what he wrote.

DENNIS - 11-10-2010 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I personally got to thinking that Baja and Baja California Sur might consider making a bike lane. great tourism. no carbon footprint. about as eco-friendly as you can get. I will let all the gvt officials who visit us know about this. A journey and/or change starts but with one step. :yes:

A bike-lane would have to be seperate from the car lanes. As it is here, people drive along the shoulder of the road to bypass those who are obeying the laws and rules of order. An attached bike-lane would be nothing but a car lane immediatly.

k-rico - 11-10-2010 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
A bike-lane would have to be seperate from the car lanes. As it is here, people drive along the shoulder of the road to bypass those who are obeying the laws and rules of order. An attached bike-lane would be nothing but a car lane immediatly.

Ya got that right! One of my biggest problems driving around TJ is that everybody passes on the right if there is room. If it's paved, or even smooth, cars will use it.

BMG - 11-10-2010 at 05:25 PM

Dave did finally make it down to the end of the world on his bicycle. He is currently working in Denmark and his long distance riding career is probably over.
 Pages:  1  2