BajaNomad

Guadalupe Canyon (post fire) & Petroglyphs (1-08)

Pages:  1  2

tajo - 1-27-2008 at 04:28 PM

Yes, I know Hernan "greñas" - as he is called by neighbors. He is all right - and I also bad experience with the old ranchero of San Luis, some years ago. He threatened me with a gun, when i arrived to my parked car in the night. It was partly my fault because I came very late, 2 AM - after exhausting biking to El Topo and return along the all upper rim of Sierra Juarez on foot, but he knew me, he took data from my ID, so waving with the gun was an exaggeration.
But I have also nice memories from San Luis - when there resided his sister Ophelia. First time, 8 years ago I arrived with my wife and kids ( 2 and 4 ) and Ophelia gave us tortillas, milk, eggs and showed some postcards from her Polish friends - there were also the owner of the "Swiss Chalet"( Mexican from San Diego - a pity that I lost his address ) - and he invited us to the chalet for overnight. It helped us very much , because next day we hiked all day long to the Hot Springs, which was not so easy with small kids, without previous knowledge of La Vibora.
Last Monday I arrived from Sausualito and met both: Hernan and the unkind guy - at the gate of San Luis. I had a folder, which was given by the Guadalupe Hot Springs owner for him, so he said "gracias" and showed me the new detour around his rancho to La Vibora trail, this time without any rage:fire:.

[Edited on 2008-1-27 by tajo]

lobogrande - 1-28-2008 at 04:20 PM

howdy

i always have stayed at the top springs on the north side. 20 bucks a night or so and beautiful sites.

is this campo still operating ? $90 per night @ arturo's is just too much for us, even for a sweet setup.

don lobo

BAJACAT - 1-28-2008 at 07:56 PM

Welcome Lobogrande,from where do you get that number($90).I have stay in San Marcos with 3 cars for the weekend,and San marcos is one of the most expensive that Arturo has,and I only end up paying like $50 for my share of the Whole price..

[Edited on 1-29-2008 by BAJACAT]

David K - 1-29-2008 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Welcome Lobogrande,from where do you get that number($90).I have stay in San Marcos with 3 cars for the weekend,and San marcos is one of the most expensive that Arturo has,and I only end up paying like $50 for my share of the hole price..

He probably got it from me since that's what I put in my trip report...?

The prices are all posted on the Guadalupe-Canyon.com website.... $90 for the weekend (2 nights): Your own palapa (or 2 in La Jolla B), private hot tub, 24 hour running hot water, atmosphere... You know, 'The Baja Feeling'! Heck, a nice dinner with drinks and a movie costs more back home (for just 1 night)!

BAJACAT - 1-29-2008 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Welcome Lobogrande,from where do you get that number($90).I have stay in San Marcos with 3 cars for the weekend,and San marcos is one of the most expensive that Arturo has,and I only end up paying like $50 for my share of the hole price..

He probably got it from me since that's what I put in my trip report...?

The prices are all posted on the Guadalupe-Canyon.com website.... $90 for the weekend (2 nights): Your own palapa (or 2 in La Jolla B), private hot tub, 24 hour running hot water, atmosphere... You know, 'The Baja Feeling'! Heck, a nice dinner with drinks and a movie costs more back home (for just 1 night)!
David $90 for the weekend,for how manny cars,just one?

David K - 1-29-2008 at 01:38 PM

It's on the web site guys... Doesn't matter how many cars... the price is for the campsite (some can only fit one car, others 2-3... So, you can divide up the cost among the people/ couples if you are sharing...

Here is what is on the website, under 'RATES':

ARTURO'S CAMPO

DeLuxe Sites 1 Night 2 Nights 3 Nights

Name of . . .
CAMPSITE

WEEKDAY
1 night

WEEKEND
2 nights

HOLIDAY
3 nights

One Vehicle . Max. Vehicles

El Castillo $50 $200 - 3 cars $400 - 4 cars

El Dorado $50 $200 - 4 cars $400 - 4 cars

El Mirador $50 $150 - 2 cars $350 - 2 cars

El Sol $50 $200 - 3 cars $400 - 3 cars

La Cueva $50 $200 - 4 cars $400 - 4 cars

La Paloma $50 $150 - 2 cars $300 - 3 cars

San Marcos $75 $275 - 4 cars $500 - 4 cars

La Jolla A $50 $90 - 1 car $200 - 1 car
La Jolla B $50 $90 - 1 car $200 - 2 cars

====================================================

It doesn't line up when pasted here, but let's take the site we used for an example: La Jolla B... $50 for 1 night during a weekday (Sun-Thu), $90 for a 2 night weekend (Fri. & Sat.), $200 for a three night holiday (Fri, Sat, Sun nights or?)... If it was three nights during the week, non-holiday it would be $150.

Look at the rate page: http://www.guadalupe-canyon.com/price.html

You just cannot compare it with any other Baja or U.S. camping area... It is a thermal hot spring piped into each campsite. The sites are clean, raked and just plain beautiful.

Loud music & noise is prohibited...

108 018r.JPG - 39kB

BAJACAT - 1-30-2008 at 12:03 AM

They must of raise the price David,those rates seem to be more that last year.they are getting to be to expensive.IMHO

wilderone - 1-30-2008 at 10:05 AM

Si, too much. "It is a thermal hot spring piped into each campsite." Always has been - even when it was $10/night without the palapa -- and I'd rather see the stars. It's not like they have a juice bar and flush toilets too. Agua Caliente off Mex. 3 is $20/nt and they do have flush toilets! Might be a good deal if 3 trucks and 10 people come and use a site - like so many Mexican families do - but just too much for one or two people. I love hotsprings and will choose the free ones first; I love to camp and will choose free camping first.

Barry A. - 1-30-2008 at 10:45 AM

When we camped at Guadalupe Canyon in the early 60's there was hot water flowing into several cement spas amongst the palm trees, a couple of tiny palapas with walls to use as "changing" rooms, and there was a beautiful cool reservoir just down from the hot pools which was about 30 feet wide and 3 feet deep, and there was NOBODY there------no tourists, no proprietors, no structures except the "changing palapas", and no people!!! and no fees, either.

Them's were the days, my friends!!! :lol:

David K - 1-30-2008 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Si, too much. "It is a thermal hot spring piped into each campsite." Always has been - even when it was $10/night without the palapa -- and I'd rather see the stars. It's not like they have a juice bar and flush toilets too. Agua Caliente off Mex. 3 is $20/nt and they do have flush toilets! Might be a good deal if 3 trucks and 10 people come and use a site - like so many Mexican families do - but just too much for one or two people. I love hotsprings and will choose the free ones first; I love to camp and will choose free camping first.

Yes, and gas used to be 30 cents a gallon, too... Things change and not always for the best...

There has been flush toilets there at Arturo's Campo #1 since I first went in 2001... very nice and clean... Not sure how you missed them (they flush with hot water, naturally!)?

I prefer 'free camping' as well... and those places without any services too, like my favorite place to camp in Baja... Shell Island.

There are other hot springs in Baja and other camp places that are far cheaper... It is simply that there is NO other place like Guadalupe Canyon/ Arturo's Campo where you can have total privacy with an outdoor, under the stars hot tub, palapa for shade, fireplace or pit, and only 3 hours from San Diego.

Now if the $45 per night price is too much for such a great place to get away to the outdoors with your very own private hot tub filled with natural spring hot water (that doesn't have a sulfur smell like so many others), then just don't go!!:light:

The fewer the people, the quieter the experience, afterall. I just want those who are interested in a special Baja camping experience to know what's there, specially after the reported recent fire in the palm trees.

Also, when 'Bug' asked about the petroglyphs near Guadalupe Canyon, it made a great reason to research them to help a fellow Nomad seeking adventure and historic interest.

$90 once or twice a year for a weekend at Guadalupe Canyon doesn't put me into poverty, specially when you factor in all the cheap or free places I have camped over the years in Mexico...

Take care...

David K - 1-30-2008 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
When we camped at Guadalupe Canyon in the early 60's there was hot water flowing into several cement spas amongst the palm trees, a couple of tiny palapas with walls to use as "changing" rooms, and there was a beautiful cool reservoir just down from the hot pools which was about 30 feet wide and 3 feet deep, and there was NOBODY there------no tourists, no proprietors, no structures except the "changing palapas", and no people!!! and no fees, either.

Them's were the days, my friends!!! :lol:

The big warm water swimming pool is still there...

108 025r.JPG - 43kB

BAJACAT - 1-30-2008 at 12:46 PM

I agree with you Dk, there is no place like G-canyon.i don't mind paying that money,like you say.you only go there once or twice a year.plus you get to see alot of stuff.Compare to San Carlos hot springs in Ensenada,where they charge $ 5 per person to get in for the day,or $8 per person to camp, I rader pay at Guadalupe canyon.Don't get me wrong I like San carlos,but it doesn't have to much to offer.Regarding Agua caliente hot springs,they need to do alot of work to attract people there.

Ps.SAN CARLOS IS GREAT,but has no privacy lol,due to locals live close by... here is a picture of S-Carlos in any given weekend.(crowd it)..

ps#2 Somebody needs to go to AGUA CALIENTE,and see if they have made any changes, and do a quick report/with pix.Any nomads that live in Ensenada or punta banda,are willing to take this task? .I heard,that is under new ownership.

SAN CARLOS 040.JPG - 46kB

lobogrande - 1-30-2008 at 04:45 PM

can anybody reply about the upper camp on the north side where i have always stayed? is it open at all? i think this is not arturos but is above his campo.

$50 per night...hmmm...i could afford it but always prefer cheap or free and wild hot springs. don't think i've ever paid anywhere near that much for camping by a hot spring. might have to in the future, eh?

what about the canyonman rob guy? he used to have all sorts of bullchit about prepaying before you arrive or you will certainly be told to leave immediately when you get there. i thought "well, bullchit!" and showed up without an advance reservation. on arrival we passed right by all the unfriendly signage and chains across roads and ended up inthe upper campo that i am asking about. if it was angel who was our host, he was kind and friendly. too bad if he got burned out and decided to move along. what's up with his area???

don lobo (aka lobogrande)

tajo - 1-30-2008 at 06:18 PM

I think that they raised prices twice after the fire - because the replacement of all the nylon pipes costed them more than 6000 $.
I paid in fact 50 $ for La Piedra ( S of the stream ) for one car and two persons, i used this only for one night, but the car was left for two nights more at their parking. They wanted 120$ ( 40$ per night ) , I proposed 50$ what was immediately accepted :light: so maybe their prices are still more negotiable - especially if you alone and not in a crowded time ???

David K - 1-30-2008 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lobogrande
can anybody reply about the upper camp on the north side where i have always stayed? is it open at all? i think this is not arturos but is above his campo.

$50 per night...hmmm...i could afford it but always prefer cheap or free and wild hot springs. don't think i've ever paid anywhere near that much for camping by a hot spring. might have to in the future, eh?

what about the canyonman rob guy? he used to have all sorts of bullsh-t about prepaying before you arrive or you will certainly be told to leave immediately when you get there. i thought "well, bullsh-t!" and showed up without an advance reservation. on arrival we passed right by all the unfriendly signage and chains across roads and ended up inthe upper campo that i am asking about. if it was angel who was our host, he was kind and friendly. too bad if he got burned out and decided to move along. what's up with his area???

don lobo (aka lobogrande)

I did report that Angel's Campo #2 or #3 (just past Arturo's) is all gone... burned away... It was cheaper because it had NO privacy, was noisey, and no room to move about. Angel is no longer there, even before the fire... The PVC pipes did not burn away at Arturo's... But there is new insulation on them.

The campo on the south side (Palmar) also burned down (it was in the palm grove)... but someone was over there working on it...

Also, in my trip report I told you all that I made reservations through Canyonman Rob... No problem at all... easy as pie.

There are chains across the private campsite driveways at Arturo's so they remain private for the guests who have a reservation. If you show up and a campsite is not reserved, then you can pay Arturo and he will unlock the chain for you...

It's all about having your own private place to camp and soak...

lobogrande - 1-30-2008 at 09:35 PM

as far as all burned down goes...seems the palms are still standing in both arturo's and angel's (from the fotos). i have camped in various palm groves around mexico in the past that had burned at some point. i could tell from the charred trunks but the palms seemed to have survived and were fully fronded a their top. perhaps angels palms will survive and grow new fronds at their tops, and maybe he can replace the pipes where they burned...???

i recall some attempt to keep the noise down at angels and it was typically very quiet there during the week, and therefore privacy was adequate. being able to hop from tub to tub when there were few if any other guests was a blast! they all had their own character and i was in heaven.

my first time there was GREAT! we pulled onto the lake bed late in the afternoon and headed south, following the signs and knocking back pacificos. we had a full moon and a raging wind whipping all the plants and trees back and forth. muy epico! bumped our way up the arroyo and arrived well after dark to find the mysterious chains across some of the lanes at arturo's, nobody about and the wind howling through the canyon. walked around looking for but not finding any hot water for a while. finally made it up to the big swimming pool which was nearly empty and cold. then we passed through the gate to angels campo and found our first hot pool. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...paradise. if only my buddy bruce was some hot babe! but he wasn't...que triste. then we discovered another hot pool...and another. we could each have our own pool for a peaceful solitary soak.in fact, we could have several pools each as the camp seemed to be empty 'cept for us. we must have up most of the night exploring the grounds in the light of a very full moon. it's definitely one of my favorite things to do, exploring a place i have never been to before in the light of the full moon...muy misterioso! got to do it this fall on the way to mexico, hiking a mile or 2 to the san francisco river hot springs in the gila wilderness of new mexico. such a rare treat. and so rico!

¡saludos a todos los viajeros que aman a baja california y su gente muy amable!

ciao for now

don lobo

David K - 1-31-2008 at 08:42 AM

Yes, there is big difference between Arturo's and the other areas in the canyon... You didn't see any of Arturo's hot tubs because they are out of sight from the road, up a driveway and hidden by boulders or plants... PRIVACY.

Once you passed Arturo's restaurant and enter Angel's you could see the many small, open campsites and tubs, not private.

Arturo's tubs are emptied and sanitzed after a guest leaves (or be curtious and drain the tub when you go), trash (that you neglected to take with you) is removed and the grounds are raked. Rigo (Arturo's son) was walking to our camp as we were driving away to do the maintenance.

Anyway, you pay for what you get... Angel is no longer there and I think Marco is going to work on it... The palm trunks are all black, but like you say, the leaves will come back and the tree will live on.

In the meantime, Arturo's is open and mostly unharmed from the fire... Go to his home first to get your camp's driveway opened by showing him the printout receipt from CanyonmanRob or pay Arturo if a camp is available.

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by David K]

lobogrande - 1-31-2008 at 10:57 AM

who is marco?

did angel leave because of the fire, or had he already moved on?

DL

David K - 1-31-2008 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
who is marco?

DL

In my post above: "Angel is no longer there, even before the fire..."

I believe that Marco is a son or relative of somesort of the Loya family... I think you need to ask 'Hotschott' or 'Canyonmanrob' for the details... I am just a casual camper there and am reporting on what I see...

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
who is marco?

DL
LOBOGRANDE, who do you work for the PGR.:lol::lol::lol:

lobogrande - 1-31-2008 at 01:37 PM

who is the PGR???

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 01:44 PM

PROCURADURIA GENERAL DE LA REPUBLICA,Kind that the FBI,I think? or los Federales

Taco de Baja - 5-9-2008 at 08:49 AM

That canyon south of Gadalupe is a great place for kids to play and rock scramble.

And yes, there are some very deep bedrock mortars. :)

BAJACAT - 5-9-2008 at 09:01 PM

Taco, where is the last picture taken?, canon La Vivora..

BAJACAT - 5-11-2008 at 07:14 PM

BUMP

Taco de Baja - 5-12-2008 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Taco, where is the last picture taken?, canon La Vivora..

Yes, I think that is the name. Lots of petroglyphs, and bedrock mortars. The pic is if one of the deeper ones. There is an overhang/cave there where there must be 50 shallow bedrock mortars...It's easy to visualize the Natives grinding mesquite beans in the cool shade, in the hot of the day, telling stories and gossiping. Several miles up the canyon are more petroglyphs. Never found water though, so it's not a major canyon.

It is one canyon south of a canyon called "Ruby" that has an inland trail to Guadalupe.

BAJACAT - 5-12-2008 at 07:23 PM

Thanks taco,I will be looking for those in a future trip.

alkijeff - 5-18-2008 at 11:13 PM

Those were great pics... makes me want to head south again. Thanks.
Jeff

David K - 5-19-2008 at 07:38 AM

Hi Jeff!

I finally made a web page for the photos: (link below) Eventually it will be posted on VivsBaja.com as out Jan. '08 Baja trip.

[Edited on 6-5-2008 by David K]

David K - 6-5-2008 at 08:28 AM

Okay, the NEW web page for the 1-08 Guadalupe and Vibora Canyon trip is now : http://vivabaja.com/108 and can also be found on VivaBaja.com.

BAJACAT - 6-5-2008 at 08:09 PM

I don't know if you guys notice, but it seems to be getting more expensive to go to GDC.SAN MARCOS Camp site on a holyday is $500 for 4 cars ouch....

[Edited on 6-6-2008 by BAJACAT]

Guagalupe pool.JPG - 49kB

BAJACAT - 6-7-2008 at 01:31 PM

BUMP, come on guys this is serious what are your thoughts in this matter..:lol::bounce::tumble::?::spingrin::(:P:smug::no::wow::yawn::dudette::coolup::mad::fire:

Barry A. - 6-7-2008 at 01:54 PM

Cat------as you know, there are some really nice places to camp close by down canyon---------that is where I would camp---------that price is getting up way to high for me. We used to camp at the Hot Spring for a week at a time for nuttin, back in the '60's, and there were hot tubs and a cool pool even then, but no caretaker was on site. Never did know who built the facilities way back then.

Like I said in another post-------things are getting too expensive down south, IMO.

Barry

David K - 6-7-2008 at 08:59 PM

Jose, that rate ($500) is for a THREE DAY HOLIDAY at the two biggest campos... that could handle 4 families (4 cars)... OR $42: night per family

Most of the camps are about $50 per night for your own private camp, palapa, hot tub, privacy, atmosphere, stars, etc.!

Barry A. - 6-7-2008 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Jose, that rate ($500) is for a THREE DAY HOLIDAY at the two biggest campos... that could handle 4 families (4 cars)... OR $42: night per family

Most of the camps are about $50 per night for your own private camp, palapa, hot tub, privacy, atmosphere, stars, etc.!

Ah Haaaa---------that is a different story--------yes, it is worth it. Barry

David K - 6-7-2008 at 09:41 PM

Yup Barry... it really is... Heck, you can't get a 'bad' motel room for the night around here for $50!

Barry A. - 6-7-2008 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Yup Barry... it really is... Heck, you can't get a 'bad' motel room for the night around here for $50!

You can come close, tho:

Quality Inn, just west of Lindberg Field in San Diego------$62 for 2 adults per night, which includes breakfast-----stayed there for that about 4 mnths ago. :spingrin:

Barry

David K - 8-3-2013 at 03:46 PM

Nice job Baja Nomad for getting the photos back on... from 2008 trip (before Photobucket) that were lost for a few years. :light:

Barry A. - 8-3-2013 at 05:14 PM

Great to see this thread (again). Does anybody have some updates for current happenings here------to bring us up to date???

Barry

David K - 11-22-2019 at 03:08 PM

Almost 12 years now since this trip when we camped at Guadalupe Canyon with Hotschott and went to see the La Vibora Canyon petroglyphs.

advrider - 11-22-2019 at 08:52 PM

Been wanting to check these hot springs out for years. Any updated info or pictures?

David K - 11-22-2019 at 11:18 PM

Not personally, we went one more time in October 2008. We miss it very much but with Arturo gone and the status of his wonderfully private campsites not clear, we just have our great memories of many weekends there.

BajaBlanca - 11-23-2019 at 10:28 AM

Those photos have me drooling. I so want to go!

matthew_mangus - 12-4-2019 at 12:03 AM

I was there in Feb 2019 and plan to return in late Feb 2020. It's still beautiful. ...and very much worth the price. Pics are in this album: http://bit.ly/BajaRamblin

Marc - 12-15-2019 at 10:54 AM

On my list.:cool::cool:

David K - 12-16-2019 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
I was there in Feb 2019 and plan to return in late Feb 2020. It's still beautiful. ...and very much worth the price. Pics are in this album: http://bit.ly/BajaRamblin

Nice trip!
Glad you were able to get onto Shell Island! You had the right vehicles for Baja!

advrider - 12-16-2019 at 11:28 AM

Really good report and pictures... What camera are you using and do you edit or touch them up before you post them? Thanks for sharing..

matthew_mangus - 1-23-2020 at 01:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Really good report and pictures... What camera are you using and do you edit or touch them up before you post them? Thanks We're sharing..

Muchos gracias! I was just shooting with a Google Pixel2 cell phone but i do tend to crop and lightly edit in Google Photos before sharing albums. I'm looking forward to heading back down to Baja in a couple of weeks. This trip, we'll be finishing with a night at Guadalupe Canyon before rallying up the La Rumorosa grade.

David K - 1-23-2020 at 10:07 AM

I am looking forward to you next trip report, Matthew!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs was indeed one of the special places in Baja I have enjoyed very much. I had always known about it, but it just never grabbed me enough to go... I was more of a beach person, until Hotschott and I got to know each other, back in 2001. He was one of the gringo helpers creating or repairing campsites at Arturo's Campo #1.

I will need to try and find my first time trip photos, but I went with Nomad 'jeans' and met up with Hotschott & Val there for the weekend, and it really was amazing... The canyon, the palms, running water stream, the boulders, the private campsites, the boulder lined hot tubs with wonderful hot water piped in from the source spring, high above.

That trip was a reconnasense for Michelle's 2nd BBBB (Boojum Buddies Baja Bash) party... and that party was my second time to the canyon. Photos: http://www.vivabaja.com/bbbb2/

My third trip was with my son in June 2003, after we watched the Baja 500. We drove from the mountains down to the desert in Mano Canyon then north to Guadalupe Canyon. Ken Cooke was there with his Jeep group at one of the bigger sites that accommodated several vehicles (El Castillo?). In the days of film, I had none left after photographing the racers to take in the canyon! Since I had just driven down Mano, Ken asked me to lead his Jeep group on a tour to the top of the Sierra the next day using that road. We only got as far as the bottom of the canyon where they all took turns driving one tire up on a boulder for photos... It's a "Jeep thing".

The next trip to Guadalupe Canyon I have photos of was in April 2005 taking my newest girlfriend 'Baja Angel' there. Let me tell you, she LOVED the place!!!: http://vivabaja.com/405/

September 2006: http://vivabaja.com/906/

January 2008: http://vivabaja.com/108/ (this is the trip this thread was about)

Our final time at Guadalupe Canyon, over 11 years ago...
Halloween 2008: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35050

It seems that I went more than the 7 times listed here, but they were all great trips!

Pages:  1  2