BajaNomad

San Quintin Bad Landing, Pics

TonyC - 1-28-2008 at 10:16 PM

Kelly of K&M sportfishing reported that a plane landed a little hard just as it got dark at Campo Lorenzo. It caught fire after the pilot and 2 passenger got out with no injuries.
The plane was a Bonaza Beechcraft. I guess they used cars to light up the runway. Date of landing 01-24-08.

Is it true it's not a crash, when there's no injuries?:rolleyes:

Tony

Cap - 1-29-2008 at 01:58 AM

I am glad to hear that everyone got out alive.
Night landing at CL:?: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

capt. mike - 1-29-2008 at 08:12 AM

wonder if that full moon encouraged them to break the day VFR rules?

looks horrific! perhaps a cabin fire, engine fire, smoke in the c-ckpit that forced their hand?

the wires across RW on approach alone would dissuade me from a low vis landing! except i guess in a full emergency.
wonder if Lorenzo has more scoop.

nothing on BBP over this.

pretty fortunate groupd i'd say to walk from this one.

TonyC - 1-29-2008 at 09:10 AM

This is what Lorenzo said about it. Copied and pasted.

Bonanza Beechcraft arrived after dark (not good) and failed to keep it centerlined, although we lit up the strip with car lights. Pilot and 2 passengers walked away without a scratch. Not really a crash - just a real chitty landing! Plane was intact, but caught fire after all were cleared. I still prefer the air over Mexican roads.

Cap - 1-29-2008 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
wonder if that full moon encouraged them to break the day VFR rules?

looks horrific! perhaps a cabin fire, engine fire, smoke in the c-ckpit that forced their hand?

Very diplomatic Mike, but doesn't sound like anyone forced their hand to fly after dark. Now there is a black eye on aviation (you know how dangerous those little planes are), and everyones insurance goes up. This is to say nothing about the nice aircraft destroyed.
I am glad no one was injured but I have a difficult time giving this pilot a pass.

fishbuck - 1-29-2008 at 08:38 PM

My guess is again misjudged the flair (like Mulege) and hit the ground hard enough to break something on the firewall. Fuel or oil got on the exhaust and POOF!
So another brave soul decides to test the "Baja After Dark" theory.
My friend has a Bonanza. Hope it wasn't him. They got the Bonanza after they crashed their Cherokee 6 on take off.

capt. mike - 1-30-2008 at 06:44 AM

i agree Cap = no excuses for him. total BOZO!!
i have seen it twice at Serenidad, nite landings - never pretty. always dicey - not to mention the danger to other innocent planes parked on the ramp subject to aluminum bendment should the dopes plow into them on roll out!! egads man!! the horror of my plane possibly wrecked by a nimrod forcing me to have to........gulp.......ride the highway to the USA??!! i pray never!

buck, did you mean Lance? T tail?

Ken Bondy - 1-30-2008 at 09:10 AM

mike
I saw it a few times at PSFO. No major incidents but it always scared the sh** out of me, just watching it. And I usually had a pretty good buzz on at the time :D
++Ken++

marv sherrill - 1-30-2008 at 07:00 PM

Does the no driving at night rule extend to aircraft too??

Ken Bondy - 1-30-2008 at 07:14 PM

That's a Mexican law marv. VFR (Visual Flight Rules) flight is prohibited at night in Mexico.
++Ken++

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by Ken Bondy]

airmech - 2-11-2008 at 11:38 PM

BTW that's a Cherokee.

capt. mike - 2-12-2008 at 08:10 AM

no, Lorenzo has reported on BBP that it is (was.......) a Bonanza, probably F33 or debonair , straight tail ver.

he owns the strip flies and knows planes.

Skeet/Loreto - 2-12-2008 at 09:09 AM

Mike: Does anybody know if he had his Gear Up?
Sure looks like he may have forgotten to put them down>, or maybe they Tore off at first Impact>
Skeet

airmech - 2-12-2008 at 02:59 PM

Sorry, It's a Beech but not a Bonanza. It's a Musketeer or Sierra. Beechs version of a Piper Cherokee.

capt. mike - 2-12-2008 at 04:52 PM

hats off to you if you can tell that by what's left! ;D
i just relied on Larry's post.

i have flown a musketeer but not a sierra. both are real dogs tho. Sierra's are stupidly slow for the horsepower. And a musketeer i would never fly to baja on long trips either. Don't know why Walter messed with building them the way he did with the way the bananas perform!

tripledigitken - 2-12-2008 at 05:05 PM

Boy I'm glad we cleared that up.:tumble::spingrin::tumble:

Sundowner

dravnx - 2-12-2008 at 06:02 PM

on side of fuselage in last picture.

TonyC - 2-12-2008 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dravnx

I want to be on the same boat as you when looking for paddies, or looking for the remote.

huh????!!

capt. mike - 2-13-2008 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dravnx

huh??!!!

you can see

dravnx - 2-14-2008 at 11:27 AM

the word Sundowner on the side of the fuselage in the black stripe. Beechcraft C-23.

Ken Bondy - 2-14-2008 at 11:42 AM

[img][/img]

The horizontal stabilizer (tail) looks like a stabilator (the whole thing moves). As I recall, a Bonanza has a forward fixed portion of the horizontal tail with elevators and trim aft.

[Edited on 2-14-2008 by Ken Bondy]

capt. mike - 2-14-2008 at 11:59 AM

ha! of course!
only Bill Piper was smart enough to come up with a stabilator. or was it actually Fred Weick?
good pix Ken, sundowner plain as night.

Walter got it partially right with the "ruddervator".

Ken Bondy - 2-14-2008 at 12:21 PM

mike I think the Cessna 177 had a stabilator.

capt. mike - 2-14-2008 at 02:28 PM

makes one wonder why Piper didn't patent it?