BajaNomad

Driving the road

DianaT - 1-31-2008 at 02:38 PM

Ok, let's start an argument. Yes I know, we are all related as Nomads, so we all like everyone and all get along. :lol::lol:

This is one that John and I differ in opinion. Other than driving through the cities, which stretch of Highway 1---are you the least comfortable driving?

I vote for the Santa Rosalia grade and the stretch of mountains just south of El Rosario.

Oh, this is just about driving, not about bandits, kidnappers, hijackers, or police---it is also not about Highway 1 in Alta California.

Diane

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by jdtrotter]

comitan - 1-31-2008 at 02:47 PM

The worst stretch for me is the San Quintin corridor.:fire::fire:

jack - 1-31-2008 at 02:48 PM

Anything north of El Rosario. Just too much traffic.

vandenberg - 1-31-2008 at 03:01 PM

Jesus Maria to San Ignacio.
Seems like that stretch never ends with most of it very boring.

And the stretch from Constitution to just north of El Chien falls into that category also.

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by vandenberg]

tripledigitken - 1-31-2008 at 03:02 PM

For me it's not the road it's the traffic.

TJ
Ensenada
San Quentin

Otherwise it's all good.

Ken

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by tripledigitken]

DianaT - 1-31-2008 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Jesus Maria to San Ignacio.
Seems like that stretch never ends with most of it very boring.

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by vandenberg]

Hey, we live in that area. :lol::lol: We love those wide open spaces.

BMG - 1-31-2008 at 03:35 PM

The last few miles north of Cabo.

BAJACAT - 1-31-2008 at 03:38 PM

Guerreo Negro to san Ignacio
Catavina to Guerrero Negro

CP - 1-31-2008 at 05:30 PM

Just yesterday a friend and I were discussing our least favorite parts of the road and both of us chose the same ones as Diane; Santa Rosalia grade and the stretch of mountains just south of El Rosario!
Love everything inbetween and beyond.
Well, with the exception of one particular curve going over the Gigantes heading towards Insurgentes. That one makes my steeringwheel sweat!

Gadget - 1-31-2008 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

Ditto!!!!

add my vote to this!!

thebajarunner - 1-31-2008 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

Ditto!!!!

Yep.
Lo mismo!!

Roberto - 1-31-2008 at 05:46 PM

I get very uncomfortable in the section just south of El Pabellon and the inland/uphill turn a few miles south. It's just a few miles, but the road is narrow there, and especially if I'm towing something that stretch gives me the willies and I get more alert.

The rest is a piece of cake. Especially at night! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

P.S. The last trip down, I crossed at 4:00 AM, and took the free road through TJ to Rosarito. I must say that, for the first time, I was really uncomfortable until I got to Ensenada. A first.

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by Roberto]

Hook - 1-31-2008 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I get very uncomfortable in the section just south of El Pabellon and the inland/uphill turn a few miles south. It's just a few miles, but the road is narrow there, and especially if I'm towing something that stretch gives me the willies and I get more alert.

The rest is a piece of cake. Especially at night! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

P.S. The last trip down, I crossed at 4:00 AM, and took the free road through TJ to Rosarito. I must say that, for the first time, I was really uncomfortable until I got to Ensenada. A first.

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by Roberto]

Agree completely, Roberto, about that area. Have always referred to it as El Socorro. From there all the way to El Rosario is nervous time, including the checkpoint up on the mesa.

DianaT - 1-31-2008 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CP
Just yesterday a friend and I were discussing our least favorite parts of the road and both of us chose the same ones as Diane; Santa Rosalia grade and the stretch of mountains just south of El Rosario!
Love everything inbetween and beyond.
Well, with the exception of one particular curve going over the Gigantes heading towards Insurgentes. That one makes my steeringwheel sweat!

Glad someone agrees with me---I find those two areas white knucklers.

I said John does not agree---he agrees with the north of El Rosario, especially the San Quintin area, and one nasty curve around KM119 north of Catavina that really sneaks up you. There are always fresh tire tracks off the road right there---fortunately, not ours. :yes::yes:

Diane

Roberto - 1-31-2008 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
From there all the way to El Rosario is nervous time, including the checkpoint up on the mesa.

Ok, a VERY funny story about the checkpoint on the Mesa. In March of '05, I was returning from a whale trip at GN with my wife, a friend and his 4-year old son. Got stopped at the checkpoint, and they have jury-rigged two lanes there. We do the usual checkpoint Samba (or is it Mambo Mexicano) and the soldier says go. I get started and at just exactly the right moment, the soldier in the lane next to us (right side of the truck), opens the door of the brand-new Jeep Cherokee next to me and I -- rip of the door (or close to it) :o.

Now, I'm not shy at these checkpoints, and I'm mad. I get out of the truck, the soldier says I cause an accident and I lose it. I start calling him a marooon, WTF is he thinking, and get his commanding officer RIGHT 'ffing NOW - all in Spanish. My wife is looking to see if she can fit under the seat, where she would be out of sight. She always says (did you notice they have GUNS? :lol::lol::lol::lol:). My friend, who is a newbie, but knows me well, is not sure how to react, but he's starting to crack up. The Mexican has the same reaction I have and starts shouting from his end saying look what you guys have done to my car, etc. etc. So here we are - waiting for the Jefe, and the soldados are looking mighty confused. It gets better. It turns out that the guy in the other car is Mexican, lives in Tijuana and is an attorney!

Long story short, it takes almost three hours, and various rounds of negotiations, but we leave with CASH to repair the Jeep. The Jefe was a major on tour from the D.F.

I didn't need any money, because when an F350 hits a Jeep ... well you get the picture. There was a tiny scratch on the bed that I rubbed out with some compound at home. My wife is incredulous, my friend is rolling on the floor, and the Mexican attorney gives me his business card and a major thumbs-up!

Another adventure in Mexico!

Took me a while to live down the "Captain Crash" moniker I earned from those that shall remain unnamed. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Carry on!

Ken Bondy - 1-31-2008 at 06:10 PM

For me the stretch north of San Quintin between about Colonet and Ensenada has always been very tedious (I don't exactly know what the "San Quintin corridor" is, maybe that's it). Lots of turns, lots of big trucks coming at you around every one. For some reason it's always tougher for me northbound, maybe that's because it's always at the end of a trip. ++Ken++

David K - 1-31-2008 at 06:10 PM

Gee the hills out of El Rosario is where you first see boojum trees and can pretend you have just landed on another planet!:lol::lol:

If I had to name a least favorite part of Mex. 1 (outside of cities), I would say just south of Maneadero to Km. 0 south of San Quintin, because of heavy traffic or trucks that you want to pass because the road is busy enough to be a four lane highway, but isn't. The other place is between Constitucion and Santa Rita (or El Cien)... just so dull...

Hook - 1-31-2008 at 06:13 PM

Did they ever finish that bridge north of San Ignacio?

Clearly, I havent been down that far in a couple years.

Paulina - 1-31-2008 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

That's our least favorite stretch as well. It seems that not only is the road narrow there, but it has a crown to it that makes you feel like you're fighting the wheel to stay on the road.
Fred Hoctor once told me that he hated that part of the drive south as well.

P<*)))><

most of it...

woody with a view - 1-31-2008 at 09:10 PM

up until the last 7-10 miles where we turn off and head for the coast.....:P

sabe?

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by woody in ob]

wild west  (Small) (Small).jpg - 47kB

David K - 2-1-2008 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Did they ever finish that bridge north of San Ignacio?

Clearly, I havent been down that far in a couple years.

YES... we drove over it last July.

oldjack - 2-1-2008 at 09:43 AM

my least favorite part of Hwy 1... is that part of it that I am not on... I actually enjoy the drive from the border south to my place in Los Barriles... see something new every trip... I confess that I only drive Hwy 1 occasionally as I like the four hour trip from Boise by USAir(monthly)

bajarich - 2-1-2008 at 10:20 AM

The stretch from Meaneadero to San Quintin. I always manage to get behind slow busses carrying migrant workers. Too much traffic to safely pass with a boat. Seems like someone comming the other way will always do a left turn in front of me, forcing me to hit the breaks hard.

I'm also not fond of the hill dropping into Santa Rosalia. Last time, I almost rear ended a big truck when I came around a corner at 25 mph and he was only doing about 5mph. I hit my breaks, but, with the boat on the back and the antilock breaks, I almost hit him. My truck just didn't want to stop.

Also, I hate the drive along the border fence in TJ. It's depressing.

woody with a view - 2-1-2008 at 09:48 PM

Quote:

my wife, being from Peru, can comiserate (sp?) with you. she thought she'd gotten away from the fourth world ghettos....

DianaT - 2-1-2008 at 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:

my wife, being from Peru, can comiserate (sp?) with you. she thought she'd gotten away from the fourth world ghettos....

Along the border fence always gets to us too. This is what we saw everyday out the windows of our school in Honduras

And several of our students were only able to attend our school because a relative was working in the US.

OK, I am hijacking the thread I started---

Woody, what part of Peru is your wife from? Have some great memories from Peru.

Diane

Bob H - 2-1-2008 at 10:21 PM

I just HATE the drive on MX-1 along Bahia Constitucion........................... NOT!
Bob H

Steve&Debby - 2-3-2008 at 09:54 AM

Love the drive down hwy 1. The drive back sucks,it means the trip is almost over until next year.

[Edited on 2-3-2008 by Steve&;Debby]