BajaNomad

Bad situation.... be on the lookout!

djh - 2-12-2008 at 09:48 AM

Re posting this from the BWO website to give these folks some help and to prevent any BajaNomad amigos from encountering a similar problem. The facts appear to indicate that that Koichi & Iker's kindness was seriously abused by a young thug...?

:no:

djh

Alert - I want to inform everybody about an American young adult man who goes by the name of "Joseph." He has a mustache and beard. He was in Todos Santos with two girls from New Zealand, all backpack travelers, he said he was a writer in creative ideas and travel. I offered him a place to stay, the girls stayed at Hotel Miramar (I think that there is connection between them, they met in La Paz).

Joseph suddenly disappeared last Wednesday without saying goodbye. The problem is that $1,200 in cash and travelers checks belonging to one of my guests and friend visiting from Japan disappeared at the same time. Josepf may have some information about what happened to the missing money, and may still be somewhere in Baja. If you have any information, please contact the police, Koichi Hotta and/or Iker Algorri at Café Brown 612 14 50813. - Iker Algorri, iuslegis@hotmail.com, 612 14 50813

bajaboolie - 2-12-2008 at 01:58 PM

Ouch. Thanks for forwarding this along. Maybe he'll be able to be tracked down. I'm sure he does "have some information".

surfer jim - 2-12-2008 at 02:58 PM

Check cabo bars for gringo buying drinks for the house.....;D

Pescador - 2-12-2008 at 03:02 PM

You did the right thing by posting the info as this is a pretty small world and many times someone who tries that kind of stuff shows up in another area playing the same game.
We recently had friends who spent a few weeks at Los Cerritos down by Todos Santos and they started to describe their experienes with this guy who was pulling a trailer and supposedly got held up and some motorcycles stolen when he was pre-running the baja-1000. We had met the same guy in Santa Rosalia and he was suspected of holding up a store just south of San Bruno and breaking into a trailer with motorcycles and equipment who were actually pre-racing the Baja 1000. He had also caused some problems for Brenda at Las Casitas in Santa Rosalia, so it is a small peninsula and if we keep the communication channels open we can have some impact on these lowlifes.

comitan - 2-12-2008 at 03:57 PM

It would certainly help if we had a better description, was he blonde, because I saw a fellow with two women chunky and a blonde,fellow looked like he had a beard at a taco stand in Centenario.

shari - 2-12-2008 at 04:00 PM

Very true...it is a small peninsula and chances are they use the same scam again and again...good work posting it! Probably won't get the money back but may help save someone else from getting ripped off.

Gadget - 2-12-2008 at 07:48 PM

Will be looking for the post and photo of him tied naked to a Cardon along the road somewhere with a sign around his neck that says "THIEF". :mad:

Sorry, a little fantasy from all the times I've been ripped off here in the States. :no:

DENNIS - 2-12-2008 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Check cabo bars for gringo buying drinks for the house.....;D

1200 bucks wouldn't cover it.

bajatorres - 2-12-2008 at 11:04 PM

Talk about hijacking........... when there is an important issue/warning.
Will keep a lookout here in BuenaVista/Los Barriles area. Thanks for the heads-up.

Acuity - 2-13-2008 at 01:17 PM

More information on the character who may have abused Iker's hospitality, from Iker himself. I hope this provides more info to others to help in finding him:

"Well this guy looks like a Irish longshore worker, He is medium high, scratch on the right side of face close to the eye, no too thin very little gross. We do not have more information yet If I have more I ´ll let you know. He is backpacker."

bajajudy - 2-13-2008 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acuity

"He is medium high, scratch on the right side of face close to the eye, no too thin very little gross.

This is confusing to me. Is the scratch no too thin? What is very little gross.
We are trying to warn people here in San Jose but we do need a better description.

Acuity - 2-13-2008 at 02:22 PM

I will hopefully see Iker tonight to get more info. But I imagine the "not too thin, very little gross" applies to the body type (perhaps neither underweight nor fat?, rather than the scratch. I understand your frustration - I am sure Iker (who is Mexican) is feeling it too.

bajajudy - 2-13-2008 at 02:38 PM

Ah ha
very little fat(gras!)

DENNIS - 2-13-2008 at 03:15 PM

Could it be GRASA?

When it's said behind a womans back, it's CARNE...as in MUCHO.

lachicana - 2-14-2008 at 06:00 PM

I am at the El Moro Hotel in La Paz and there is a young man thin build that fits your description wearing a black short sleave shirt and has visible tattoos on his upper inside arm.

Can you give me any other descriptions?

He is with a young lady and I have not approaced him to ask his name.

Give me more info.

Hook - 2-14-2008 at 06:06 PM

lachicana, why dont you just call Iker Algorri, 612 14 50813?

Acuity - 2-14-2008 at 06:33 PM

I am sure Iker would be very happy to hear from you, lachicana. He was pretty upset last night, as was his friend. The guy apparently slit open his locked bag to get the money.

vandenberg - 2-14-2008 at 07:20 PM

Put Gnukid on the case.

Sounds like just his cup of tea.

BCSTech - 2-15-2008 at 07:07 AM

I sent a link to this thread to Iker.

He's been great about leading a community effort here to deal with the recent spate of burglaries. Not the first time he's been affected. His own restaurant was robbed at least once last year when the creeps broke in and took his computer among other things.

He served as a translator at a recent town meeting to try and get the message across to the local officials and has made trips to La Paz to petition the gov't. So far, the response has been lukewarm...

:rolleyes:

gnukid - 2-15-2008 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Put Gnukid on the case.

Sounds like just his cup of tea.

The name Joseph is often used to refer to inspecific people or people who don't want to give their real name... Do you know anyone who goes by the name Joseph?

DENNIS - 2-15-2008 at 08:58 AM

Stalin?

tripledigitken - 2-15-2008 at 09:13 AM

One comes to mind Gnukid.

Joseph Wambaugh, and I think you'd find his books both entertaining and educational.:cool::):cool:

Ken

[Edited on 2-15-2008 by tripledigitken]

wilderone - 2-15-2008 at 09:13 AM

Yeah - like "Tony" for all those middle-eastern car hustlers in So. Cal.

bajalera - 2-15-2008 at 04:34 PM

Joseph Wood Krutch?

He wrote a book about Baja California that some people like.

The Gull - 2-15-2008 at 07:15 PM

Joe Blow?

Bajabus - 2-15-2008 at 08:26 PM

I dreamed I saw Joe hill last night.

DENNIS - 2-15-2008 at 08:28 PM

Joe Dirt?

Steve&Debby - 2-15-2008 at 09:20 PM

Joe Mama? Woops went back to the 70's:lol::lol:

toneart - 2-16-2008 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Yeah - like "Tony" for all those middle-eastern car hustlers in So. Cal.

Hey! Watch it! We have ways.........:smug:

vandenberg - 2-16-2008 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
Joe Mama? Woops went back to the 70's:lol::lol:

Isn't that Yo'Mama.:?::biggrin:

gnukid - 2-16-2008 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
The name Joseph is often used to refer to inspecific people or people who don't want to give their real name... Do you know anyone who goes by the name Joseph?

Hey, Gnukid-- you've commented quite a bit about the security/corruption problem in BCS; are you aware of this organization? Sounds like they're trying to organize a citizen effort...

--Larry

I meant people in mexico who are named Joseph and go by the name Joseph-it's Jose or another nickname-rarely I have I ever met a "joseph" nor can any of my friends think of one.

Though just for hyperbole notice that when you enter an official office, often times the person will say "preguntar para no se quien, Joseph or Josephina", which means the next available clerk.

The organization you mention, http://www.consejociudadanobcs.org/index.html

I am familiar with in particular in their efforts to rehabilitate youth. I have a few friends that work there. Thats why I know way too many stories, of the changing nature of crime here. They say, once a youth is involved in drug sales or trafficing large quantities in pangas and cars they won't give it up or identify the sources because they make money trafficing than they would ever have the chance to earn in any other occupation... they will have everything they ever dreamed of...

Speaking of youth in trouble, be careful if you visit carnival in La Paz late at night. The police have reported there are, as usual roving gangs of young males, 10-15 in a group who randomly attack other young males. The first night there were reportedly many minor stabbings, people hit in the head etc... in the crowds. The victims have no idea who even hit them.

I saw many of the gringo nomad seniors there too, I don't think you are at all at risk but, younger males alone or in small groups are at risk, especially at midnight-3am.

Acuity - 2-28-2008 at 07:18 AM

Back to the subject of someone stealing from Iker's friend in Todos Santos - I just received the folowing information from Iker who has been investigating. I hope this is of use to others out there. Quote follows:

"Well after some research we discovered that guy that robbed my friend from Japan the $1200 USD and 1000 in traveler checks, was attended in the health center in Todos Santos and we got a medical recipe that he got from there and
a bank recipt. The name of the guy is RUTLEDGE JOSEPH SCOTT we also found in the trash of my house a pledge recipt of an acoustic guitar and it says that his adress is 12331 fm 2354 in Baytown Texas height 5-08 born on 06/10/1982, an Amtrak train ticket New Orleans to Del Rio Texas 23 JAN 08, blockbuster card, phone no 707 4834563 adress 3531-B GA HWY 20 AND A CARD FROM MOVIE GALLERY 2179 FAIRBURN ROAD, DOUGLASVILLE, GA 30135. He is a thief and all people need to be warned"

It is, of course, possible that these documents did not themselves belong to the guy that was the thief, but I thought I should pass this on in case others come across the fellow.