BajaNomad

NOMAD RANCHO MATOMI TRAIL RIDE 08

Gadget - 2-19-2008 at 11:43 PM

Nomads filtered in through the afternoon on Saturday to our meeting place and BBQ location. Baja Leti and I found the Baja Warrior house after some asking around and an un-eventful drive down about 1:30PM. We met our hosts and other Nomads, unloaded GSB from the trailer and headed for the dirt. I wanted to scout the trail before dark to check conditions. Got to the bottom of Azufre wash at 4PM and to the fence line at Valle Chico road in a little under an hour in 2WD. The wash was nice and damp from recent rains, everything was green, traction was great. Had a couple beers and watched the sun set, put up the new HID light bar and headed back. The new lights were great and my preliminary aiming only required 1 light to be adjusted down a little. Back to PH as the first steaks were going on the grills and some were starting to worry.

Baja Warriors, Chuck and Chris Cherry agreed to host the over night crew and a BBQ potluck at their beautiful beach house and compound at Playa Hermosa south of San Felipe. The food was awesome, 2 grills going, garlic shrimp, salads, dips, 2 huge pies and plenty of beverages. What a night and our thanks to such great and generous hosts.

Neal Johns and TacoFeliz, Jay and Sylvia popped up their campers, but the rest of us all had beds to sleep on. Such undeserved luxury!

We couldn't have asked for a nicer day, better group of Nomads and friends or better hosts and location for our 08' Matomi trail ride.

Up early for coffee and meet with other folks at trail head on H5 at KM 32

SOC sunrise

[Edited on 2-20-2008 by Gadget]

DSC00051red.JPG - 10kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:07 AM

The Nomads and friends:
BajaWarrior (Chuck & Chris Cherry, Geoff Palomino & Tyson the pooch)
Gadget & BajaLeti (Will & Leslie Mitchell)
Squarecircle (Roy Hall & Blanche Hurley)
BajaCat (Jose, Luz, Jawelly, Jorge Ruiz)
FineDoubleRacing (Alex Waters)
Rob Huggins
BajaJac (Jac Jacqmin)
Jerry Hewett
BajaLou (Lou Wells)
Neal Johns
Jerry Abbott
John Curts
TacoFeliz (Jay & Sylvia Lawrence)
Henry & Joan Schroeder
Bruce & Bette Logan
Don Heller
Dave and Joan Minney
BajaRob
Steekerz (Doc Bennett) and friend Jim

If I missed any of you, sorry, you were probably off hikeing at the Ranch when I went around for names.

14 vehicles
3 bikes
5 quads

Our wonderful hosts

DSC00055red.JPG - 31kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:10 AM

The Crew less BajaLou and his possy.
Talk about a varried collection of rigs, we had it.

DSC00062red.JPG - 34kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:17 AM

BajaWarrior tightened up some loose lugs on his Yota and we hit Azufre wash.
Perfect day, mid 60s, light breeze, no dust, plants sprouting and blooming...perfect Baja

DSC00073red.JPG - 46kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:23 AM

We were in contact with BajaLou on the radio coming down from Morelia junction with his crew of 4 rigs while we were about 2/3 up Azufre. Plan was to meet them at Agua Caliente but he informed us that road was washed out and Eduardo was denying us access to the hot springs. We would meet at the top of the fence line.

Out the top of Azufre looking at the fence line.

DSC00089red.JPG - 39kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:25 AM

Fence line to Matomi desert views. A photo op around every bend.

IMG_0511red.JPG - 49kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:28 AM

All 14 rigs, the motos were in the wash below us.
Dropping into Matomi... Baja rush hour???

DSC00094red.JPG - 29kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:31 AM

Had our 1st & 2nd tire issues, BajaCat going to ranch and me coming out.
Lunch and BS at ranch untill about 1PM and headed for Matomi wash.

Rancho Matomi pools

DSC00100red.JPG - 36kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:34 AM

Baja desert beauty

red.JPG - 36kB

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 12:44 AM

Back down Matomi, more tire issues 3 or 4, transfer case on the Samari done. Matomi was standard, rough at the top and it got dusty 1/2 way down.

Steekerz and Jim on motos, Squarecircle and Gadget took the San Ferman cuttoff back to Azufre. 10 of the 15 miles were bad woops. The 2 bikes pretty much ditched us do to lack of lights. I would get up to speed and skip the woops for a few miles and then stop and wait for Roy. Beat rest of crew back to house a little after dark.

We put 154 miles on GSB in the dirt
Average moving speed was 19.4 mph
Max speed was 60.5 mph

What fun!!

We think this should become and annual event.

Through border in 1.5 hrs at Mexicali.

No issues on drive home.

David K - 2-20-2008 at 08:05 AM

BRAVO!!!

Thanks Wil, I hope we can be there next time...

Tires were really tested it sounds like?!

baja-spirit - 2-20-2008 at 08:18 AM

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like you guys had a great time!!!
Your making me get so anxious to head to Baja!!! Heading south 2/28...Can't wait!!!!

TMW - 2-20-2008 at 08:38 AM

Excellent report, great adventure.

bajalou - 2-20-2008 at 09:40 AM

Matomi Feb 08
Joining the group heading up the Matomi from El Dorado was Jim, (Nomad "Meme"s husband), Henry & Joan, Bruce and Betty, and BajalLou. Hit Zoo road about 730.

After taking to Gadget on the radio, I talked to the people at rancho at mouth of Canon Agua Caliente and got a "No Go" from them about the hot springs. They said recent rains had again washed out the road.

Met up with main group at Azufre fence and Valle Chico road and after a little break and introductions we all head south to the Matomi. Several miles of race whoops kept our speed down. Jim tole me "Boy this road is sure longer in the Jeep Cherokee than it is in my Rail". I had to agree about that. Lots of great scenery - cholla bright in the sun - just great.

Started to drop into the wash and stopped for a photo op.

Headed up the trail to the ranch. Slow going with mostly stock vehicles and a flat or two slowed things but arrived at 12 noon to explore and enjoy our lunches.

Met up with the quad and moto guys as shared Baja tales. Walked around a bit and saw there is water in the pool just below the ranch.

1pm and time to head out. A few more flats and a rest stop or so and we hit

Hghy 5 just after sundown. Suzuki had a locked transfer case, so got "On the Hook" for the last few miles to his place in Santa Maria. Back home about 7pm.

Gadget is a great trailboss, keeping everything together.

Between the great BBQ at Baja Warrier's Sat evening and the Sun trip I met several nomads that I hadn't met before. Gadget, BajaCat, Neal Johns, Taco Feliz, BajaWarrier. And it was great to see skeeters, BajaRob, SquareCircle again.

And yes, every year doesn't sound to often to me.

[Edited on 2-20-2008 by bajalou]

David K - 2-20-2008 at 11:04 AM

Thanks Lou...

Was there a dinner get-together Sunday night? Did anyone camp at Nuevo Mazatlan?

Gadget - 2-20-2008 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks Lou...

Was there a dinner get-together Sunday night? Did anyone camp at Nuevo Mazatlan?

As for the crew at BWs place, everyone took off for the most part.
Neal Johns and TacoFeliz left south for Gonzaga from Matomi.
BajaCat drove home??
Steekerz headed north I think.
Will, Leslie, Roy and Blanche went into town to Rositas for dinner. Riguerberto, Ricardos brother, Rice and Beans of San Ignacio must have lost a cook on a Sunday night. Food and service have always been good but it wasn't this night. :(
Didn't get back to house untill 10PM after a long day. Bed felt very good. :yawn:

No camping at NM

David K - 2-20-2008 at 11:24 AM

Did Roy and Blanche say if they were heading south? Roy wanted to have another go at the La Turquesa Canyon shortcut... Specially after all those Rubicon Jeepers didn't get anywhere trying!

Thanks Gadget, this wet weather has me looking for things to research!

bajalou - 2-20-2008 at 12:43 PM

I think Roy and Blanch were heading to the La Turquesa short cut to check things out.

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 12:50 PM

Thanks Will for starting the trip report.Like He saids we had a Blast,meet alot of Nomads,good Host,and good people.I really enjoy the trip,it was a little long for my Family but the handle it well.We have to have this again next year,this time with two spares

Pix, of Will(Gadget) our fearless leader, heading up Azufre

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 001.JPG - 50kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 12:52 PM

Thanks to Chuck & Chris for hosting this event.

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 016.JPG - 50kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 12:55 PM

Early morning Sunday the trop is getting ready,this are Neal's &Tacofeliz's rigs.

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 024.JPG - 48kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 12:56 PM

Sunrise at Bahia Santa Maria

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 027.JPG - 37kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 12:58 PM

Nice desert views going down Azufre.

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 044.JPG - 43kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 12:59 PM

so much to see wow

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 046.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 01:01 PM

Me and our great host chuck.Im the mexican looking one:lol:

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 052.JPG - 49kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 01:03 PM

Nomads to the rescue,Roy (The squarecircle), is helping me to put new shoes.

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 071.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 01:04 PM

Rancho Matomi
No cowboys this time the place was deserted

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 073.JPG - 50kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 01:07 PM

Coming down Matomi wash was a well treat for a long ride,beautifull bolders,and rock formations every where.
it's about 30 miles +/- from Matomi down the wash to Mex 5,soft sand all the way.

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 087.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT - 2-20-2008 at 01:13 PM

this will me my last picture to many to post I took over 100 of them.This will give other nomads to post their pictures too.

Thanks to all the people that participated on this event,and like Will said,"WE SHOULD DO THIS EVENT EVERY YEAR".
Thanks to our host's Chuck&Chris,and son Jeff.
Thanks to Gadget our Trail Boss,he did a great job and also help me with putting this together.
Untill the next one Nomads see ya in BAJA

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 089.JPG - 48kB

TacoFeliz - 2-21-2008 at 11:16 AM

Thanks Chuck for the outstanding accomodations and Will for taking the point on the trip! It was a great weekend and the desert was beautiful. An excellent gathering of Nomads. Met a bunch of folks who used to be screen names. The wildflowers were plentiful and the cactus looked pretty happy to have had all the recent moisture.

We headed south to camp at a small bay 6-7 miles south of Puertecitos, then on the next day to hike up La Turquesa canyon. After a pretty thorough slog up the canyon west of the mine sites, it looked like the only real way to connect to the Highway 1 spur was on a stout dirt bike. Saw ATV tracks and moto tracks, but every possible truck or jeep path we scouted petered out. It's possible we missed something. Went on to Coco's, then El Principio on the road into San Borja to scout a section of the Camino Real. Overlaying our findings with some Google Earth images will tell how successful we were there. Home through El Rosario, Ensenada & Tecate.

Thanks all!

Neal Johns - 2-21-2008 at 11:49 AM

The "we" in TacoFeliz's post included Neal Johns and Dixie Dog Johns. Ditto on Chuck's hospitality and all the hard work the ladies did in preparing the feast.

Speaking of ladies, I just could not resist acquiring a couple of new WiW's. One of them (who shall remain nameless) really screwed me up. She screamed "He said I'm really Number One!" This no doubt, will come back to haunt me. :no::no:

Gadget let us to the promised land and back without a single wrong turn. I did learn not to trust a Pre-Runner's slow pace, however. My poor old Tilt'n Hilton Pop-Top is still hobby horsing over the whoopties in my dreams. On our way south, we split off and Jay (TacoFeliz) led. Did he slow down?; Noooo! He was infected by Gadget's disease. :lol::lol:

David K - 2-21-2008 at 12:12 PM

Wonderful stuff!

Thanks Jose

Thanks Jay

David K - 2-21-2008 at 12:13 PM

Neal, what did you find of the Camino Real? Any other explorations?

Gadget - 2-21-2008 at 12:14 PM

Thanks Neal,
Note the average speed in the dirt of 19.4 mph. Pretty slow for us as our averages are usually around 35 mph or so.
The Gadget mobile aka GSB is really my idea of a vehicle version of a swiss army knife. We like doing many varried things and so I have tried to build a rig that can do alot of things pretty good.
We tow a pop up tent trailer for surf trips so suspension can't be to squishy.
We like to pre-run and keep up with way more hi-tech rigs than us so it's has enough travel, brut strength and power for that.
We like to do some crawling and jeep type stuff if we can fit on the trail so its pretty flexy.
And we sure had fun slowing way down and enjoying the beautiful scenary with all of you.
If we need to go slower on the next one I'll put BajaLeti behind the wheel. She loves to co-dog but is terrified of getting behind the wheel still. She doesn't want to test out the cage I guess.

Roberto - 2-21-2008 at 04:37 PM

Gadget, I'm curious. How much does GSB weigh unloaded? What's the wheelbase?

Gadget - 2-21-2008 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

With 2 spares, 33 gal of gas and 205lb me, its 5,901lbs.
Bronco standard wheel base of 105" I believe.

Roberto - 2-21-2008 at 08:36 PM

Thanks - sounds like you have built quite the vehicle there. I am particularly impressed with "keeping up much higher tech pre-runners".

BAJACAT - 2-21-2008 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

With 2 spares, 33 gal of gas and 205lb me, its 5,901lbs.
Bronco standard wheel base of 105" I believe.
I had a hard time trying to keep up with GADGET, with my Stoock RAM. HEMI and all.

[Edited on 2-22-2008 by BAJACAT]

Roberto - 2-21-2008 at 09:06 PM

Off-road, the limiting factor is suspension, not power. There is no stock truck in the world that could even begin to keep up with, say a 5/1600 car (basically a buggy with a 1600 CC VW engine and GOOD suspension).

[Edited on 2-22-2008 by Roberto]

bajalou - 2-21-2008 at 09:12 PM

No vehicles on that run except motos & quads would have any chance of keeping up with Gadget if he wanted to move out a little. It's a great setup for what he likes to do.

Gadget's Fast Bronco 'GSB'

David K - 2-22-2008 at 09:08 AM

Here Baja Angel is getting strapped in for a ride in GSB... from last July's trip, then they go flying:

707 039r.JPG - 28kB

GSB

BAJACAT - 2-22-2008 at 10:12 PM

Gadget's "GSB"

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 023.JPG - 45kB

BAJACAT - 2-24-2008 at 09:33 AM

BIG>RED

[Edited on 2-24-2008 by BAJACAT]

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 055.JPG - 49kB

David K - 2-25-2008 at 06:01 PM

Waiting to see the rest of your guys photos!;)

BajaWarrior - 2-25-2008 at 10:48 PM

Thankyou, Thankyou and Thankyou for all of the kind words regarding staying at our home!

We enjoyed having all of you as guest and all are welcome anytime. The whole weekend was a blast from the meet and greet to the dinner to the off roading to hanging out on the porch having coffee with good friends.

A special thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Gadget who led us safely into the desert and back again, and for being so helpful when ever someone had an issue with their vehicle. A very nice couple we had the pleasure meeting and spending time with.

Also, a big thanks to those who left food with me as I stayed on for another 8 days. Thanks SquareCircle for the ice and the other goodies, lasted me all week, couldn't have made it without you, say Hi to Blanche please.

Neal Johns, a real pleasure to meet you, and the dog is still not for sale, sorry.

Skeeters, your wife makes a mean Chicken and Rice, I had left overs all week long. BajaCat, thanks for getting everyone pumped up for the trip, we need a new destination for next year,, Agua Caliente or further north, or south? Gonzaga for a day from my house? Oh ya, I can see it now

TacoFeliz and wife, thanks for stopping by, your welcome anytime.

And BajaLou and Tina, did the big drive from El Dorado for dinner, thanks for coming by, and a real pleasure meeting the two of you as well.

Thanks to BajaRob, my neighbor and friend, for getting people organized from our area, please thank the guys for me.

That's what it's all about gang, making friends along the way. Thanks again!

Chuck and Chris Cherry

[Edited on 2-26-2008 by BajaWarrior]

BAJACAT - 2-25-2008 at 11:53 PM

Ruffing it in Baja o yeah,Thanks to Bajawarrior & Chris

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 020.JPG - 42kB

BAJACAT - 2-25-2008 at 11:58 PM

BAJA LOVERS

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 036.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT - 2-26-2008 at 12:01 AM

"NOMADS enjoying a great day"

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 074.JPG - 48kB

BAJACAT - 2-26-2008 at 12:07 AM

SQUARECIRCLE dropping down into MATOMI wash..

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 067.JPG - 47kB

David K - 2-26-2008 at 08:38 AM

Thanks for the photos... Any idea what that net over the pool is for?

Gadget - 2-26-2008 at 04:08 PM

Quote:

My best guess would be for when you have an urge to pull a full belly flop off the high rocks, this well constructed device will slow you down just enough to prevent too much dispersement of water from the pool, thus keeping said fun seeker from ruining everyone else's swimming fun for the day....or it's a fish trap???

[Edited on 2-26-2008 by Gadget]

David K - 2-26-2008 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:

....or it's a fish trap???

Oh, why sure... the Matomi Mountain Trout ... delicious!

BAJACAT - 5-22-2008 at 08:29 PM

Can wait for next PRESIDENTS DAY,2009..

David K - 5-22-2008 at 10:26 PM

"Can't wait..." is what I think you mean Jose! I am sorry we couldn't be there this last one... Maybe the next!

Here are the first and second Matomi group trips:

2001: http://vivabaja.com/shell (Saturday at the Sulfur Mine and on Shell Island) and that page links to http://vivabaja.com/matomi (Sunday to Matomi oasis)

2004: http://vivabaja.com/204

Mike Humfreville was with us both times... Mary Ann the second time.

Just great weekends they turned out to be!

BAJACAT - 5-23-2008 at 09:04 PM

WHAT,I skru op hagain.:no:
Thanks Dk for letting me know.
I hope you can make it for next year.

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2008 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Specially after all those Rubicon Jeepers didn't get anywhere trying!

Ouch, David. That hurt!

Our group was made up of any vehicle-owner of any make/model that wanted to attend Baja Grande. We had Toyotas and Jeeps on this trip. Just a few Rubicons as well.

Also, our group was supposed to have a guide to help lead us to the trouble spots. As the group leader, I couldn't find our way across to the road, because we didn't know what or where exactly we were going. Not to dwell or anything, we were doing what we could given the circumstances, and our main objective was to enjoy ourselves in the outdoors, away from work for one week.

A few Toyotas were also on our 1 week tour...

Nicolas in his Toyota trying to locate the route, but to no avail: :?:

bajalou - 5-26-2008 at 11:38 AM

Ken

You need some navigation equipment in your vehicle so you always know where you are

Topo map with pointer at current location (it moves as the vehicle does)

Or could use Satellite photos

[Edited on 5-26-2008 by bajalou]

Gadget - 5-26-2008 at 07:13 PM

Nav equipment is nice but not necessary because...

"All roads in Baja lead to where you're going". ;D

Ken Cooke - 5-26-2008 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Ken

You need some navigation equipment in your vehicle so you always know where you are

Or could use Satellite photos

I had plenty of satellite photos, access to a GPS unit (in Mike's Unlimited Rubicon), and photos from David K's website. The descriptions were helpful, but when down in the wash, I couldn't figure out where I was headed. I'll get the group out there again in the future, and we'll use this route for one of my organized 4WD events...

BAJACAT - 5-26-2008 at 08:17 PM

Hey Ken are you planning in joining us on next year Matomi trip

BAJACAT - 5-27-2008 at 10:21 PM

I know somebody real sheap.just in case :coolup:

BAJACAT - 5-27-2008 at 10:29 PM

No you didn't understand, I was thinking of a easy way to come back to the states(coyote),it was supposed to be funny but you didn't get.:lol::lol:

Ken Cooke - 5-27-2008 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
No you didn't understand, I was thinking of a easy way to come back to the states(coyote),it was supposed to be funny but you didn't get.:lol::lol:
Hahaha!! No, coyotes... She couldn't get north of D.F. even if she wanted to...

Roberto - 5-28-2008 at 08:32 PM

Lou, are you running just the display or the full computer (MobileVu)? That's Ozi, right?

Can you send me pricing info? I'm interested in the daylight viewable display.

BAJACAT - 1-11-2009 at 10:00 PM

BUMP

BAJACAT - 11-22-2012 at 02:53 PM

2013 PRESIDENTS DAY SAN FELIPE, TRAIL RIDE COMMING SOON...
DETAILS AND DESTINATION TO COME...

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2012 at 09:46 PM

Cool:cool:

bajamedic - 12-28-2012 at 03:38 PM

Quote:

Is the Presidents Day Trail Ride happening this year? JH

David K - 12-28-2012 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic
Quote:

Some mention by BajaCat in this thread about the blockage of Matomi Canyon... to have a different destination for President's Day 2013: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64018

[Edited on 12-29-2012 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 12-28-2012 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:

According to Rudy L., this event is going to take place. I have been monitoring the event on the South Campos Facebook page.

bajamedic - 12-29-2012 at 09:49 AM

Thanks, I am going to try to make this one if possible. JH :?:

durrelllrobert - 12-29-2012 at 10:03 AM

Quote:

Some mention by BajaCat in this thread about the bockage of Matomi Canyon...

got to be carefull of the BOCKAGE
http://www.twitch.tv/bockage/videos

David K - 12-29-2012 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

Some mention by BajaCat in this thread about the blockage of Matomi Canyon...

got to be carefull of the BOCKAGE
http://www.twitch.tv/bockage/videos

Yah, I hate it when that happens! LOL:lol::light:

Ken Cooke - 12-29-2012 at 12:42 PM

The new Matomi Canyon

David K - 12-29-2012 at 12:46 PM

Here is that same narrow, from the other side, in June, 2006:

David K - 12-29-2012 at 12:49 PM

The oasis swimming pool in 2006... just s trickle instead of the usual waterfall into the pool...

(this is behind/ north of the ranch house reached by a short/ steep hike down)

RANCHO MATOMI 30°27.40', -115°04.82'

David K - 12-29-2012 at 12:52 PM

The Matomi ranch house ... was abandoned or seasonally occupied...

(note that the GPS waypoint is at map datum NAD27 Mexico)

[Edited on 12-29-2012 by David K]

BAJACAT - 12-29-2012 at 10:37 PM

there is alot canyons, in SF to choose from.So far we have done Matomi,Diablo and El cajon canyon's also Quartz Mnt.I need to get of hold of Chuck(Bajawarrior) to plan 2013 Presidents Day Nomad trail ride..
BAJAROB any ideas..? for this years trip

[Edited on 12-30-2012 by BAJACAT]

David K - 12-30-2012 at 12:33 AM

Agua Caliente Canyon with hot spring, hot stream, and cool mountain stream all together in the same canyon... ???

See http://vivabaja.com/404 for Parral, Berrendo, Carrizo, Agua Caliente, and El Cajon.

[Edited on 12-30-2012 by David K]

BAJACAT - 12-31-2012 at 05:00 PM

David I thought Agua caliente canyon, had a gate that it remain lock at all times.

David K - 12-31-2012 at 08:41 PM

Things change... if it is then go back to the ranch and see if they will let you in. No gate in 2004.

David K - 1-4-2013 at 01:59 AM

We can always drive just south of Matomi arroyo, avoid the landslide, and visit the natural arch shown to be on a photo from Baja Lou...

bajamedic - 1-6-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
there is alot canyons, in SF to choose from.So far we have done Matomi,Diablo and El cajon canyon's also Quartz Mnt.I need to get of hold of Chuck(Bajawarrior) to plan 2013 Presidents Day Nomad trail ride..
BAJAROB any ideas..? for this years trip

[Edited on 12-30-2012 by BAJACAT]

Bajacat, when planning this year, can you give some info for a newbie to the ride, I am planning to make this one and could use some help with my planning. I am thinking about bringing my toyhauler and side by side, just wondering about the closest place to dry camp when you pick the starting point. Also, any food or cooking equipment that might be helpful for a big feed, as I am sure many of us would like to contribute or provide and I am sure I will have more questions as we progress. JH

David K - 1-6-2013 at 11:18 AM

Nice toy hauler! But you can't go far from the highway with such a long, low rig. In the past, camping for this event has been at El Dorado Ranch, Nuevo Mazatlan and Bahia Santa Maria... all within a couple miles of the highway.

bajamedic - 1-6-2013 at 04:07 PM

Thanks David, that is the type of info I am looking for, I will wait for our starting point before reserving a north or south of San Felipe campground. Also, if I know where more Nomads are staying, I will stay there also. It is appearing that I may be making this trip alone and may have an extra bed or two for others that don't want to sleep on the ground or I may also just do the motel thing, we will see as we get closer to the time to travel. JH

David K - 1-6-2013 at 04:11 PM

Baja Warrior has been very accommodating for folks to base the run from his Bahia Santa Maria/ Playa Hermosa home. When I led the run the first two times we camped at El Camote's place in '01 and at Nuevo Mazatlan in '04. BajaCat has been active in this run since then, and I have not been able to go.

BAJACAT - 1-8-2013 at 10:49 PM

This year's PRESIDENTS DAY NOMAD TRAIL RIDE,will not be start it by me,this year do to family matters will not be able to make.In the other hand on the past years that we had held this event, only a handfull of nomas attended the rides,last year trip 95% of the riders where from the south campos and San felipe area,you could count the nomads with one hand...so if some one wants to take over you are welcome,remember this event was started by David K I belived back in 2004.I will thank all the people that help me in the past with this..Chuck(BajaWarrior), the late (BajaLou), Hook, BajaRob, just to mention a few..so as today on my behalve I pass the torch to the next person.Thanks for the memories..

JOSE RUIZ

BAJACAT - 1-8-2013 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks David, that is the type of info I am looking for, I will wait for our starting point before reserving a north or south of San Felipe campground. Also, if I know where more Nomads are staying, I will stay there also. It is appearing that I may be making this trip alone and may have an extra bed or two for others that don't want to sleep on the ground or I may also just do the motel thing, we will see as we get closer to the time to travel. JH
Thanks for the interest bajamedic,maybe some other time, the south campos in San felipe are going to have a similar ride,check their facebook page.Thanks BAJACAT.

David K - 1-8-2013 at 11:54 PM

The first was in 2001 on President's Day Weekend and was an El Camote/David K/Amigos de Baja joint effort... We have videos of it thanks to El Camote.

Saturday we toured the sulfur mine and Shell Island

Sunday we drove down the Valle Chico to Matomi Canyon Oasis, then drove out to Hwy. 5 in the Arroyo Matomi. http://vivabaja.com/shell

In 2004, we had a reunion of the Matomi Gang with new Nomads joining us at Nuevo Mazatlan... went to Matomi through the Parral Caņada (Azufre Wash/ Crazy Horse Canyon) the out down the arroyo to Mex. 1, as before. http://vivabaja.com/204

[Edited on 1-9-2013 by David K]

BajaWarrior - 1-9-2013 at 05:50 AM

Good Morning all,

The Presidents Weekend Ride is indeed still on. The day of the ride is Sunday February 17th.

The community myself and BajaRob have homes in have embraced this ride in fact last year we had 31 vehicles and only one visiting Nomad (BajaCat).

We actually have a shorter ride this year planned as to include all types of vehicles but lots of fun nonetheless. The run will go up an arroyo from the South Campos area (KM. 35) and eventually join an old race road for 7 miles of "whoops" when we will drop down into the Matomi Arroyo and travel 11 miles to the West end of the Narrows. This will be our lunch spot and an oppurtunity to hike about the Narrows. We will then exit Matomi Arroyo by heading straight East to Hwy. 5 at about KM 60 with a quick drive to the CowPatty bar North of Puertecitos for a cold beverage or two. That's about it.

Originally we wanted to make it to the Matomi Ranch but myself and another neighbor and our wives made the pre-run to Matomi Rancho just last Friday (1-4-2013) and it was an unbelievably rough trail consisting of many boulders (we dropped in above the "Narrows"). Because this event has morphed into a "South Campos Fun Run" with another 30 vehicles expected (including a potluck dinner at our home the night before) we feel that many stock or semi stock vehicles would not participate plus it took us all day and believe me folks, we were racing each other to get there, barely had time to look around, and came back in the dark. As you know with a large group this would not be possible.

Everyone is welcome as always, we have plenty of room for RVs, even a couple of bedrooms are available, full house privledges (we have two homes on the same property) hot showers, hot coffee, and of course the Saturday night (2-16-2013) Potluck which we will be smoking 3-4 turkeys (BajaLou style). We had about 60 people last year just for the Potluck alone, lots of food, music, conversation, and a definate party atmosphere.

Next year we are planning to go back to Diablo Falls which we can easily make with large group in a day leaving from North San Felipe. We went there two years ago and it was great.

BajaWarrior (Chuck)

David K - 1-9-2013 at 09:59 AM

Wonderful news Chuck...

So, a question: Did you eventually get through the upper narrows boulders or was that impassable and you had to return via Valle Chico/Parral? Ken Cooke mentioned wanting to go through with his Rubicon and other Jeeps.

Last Saturday in Joshua Tree

Ken Cooke - 1-9-2013 at 10:17 AM

I don't think we can make the run in February, but we can probably make a run in March or (better yet) November and check out the rocks!!

BajaWarrior - 1-9-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Wonderful news Chuck...

So, a question: Did you eventually get through the upper narrows boulders or was that impassable and you had to return via Valle Chico/Parral? Ken Cooke mentioned wanting to go through with his Rubicon and other Jeeps.

We pre-ran Matomi Ranch on 1-4 through Valle Chico/Parral knowing that the Narrows were blocked. It took so long to make it the Rancho we exited out of the wash then North along Agua Caliente/Morelia to East Valley Road to El Dorado/Highway 5.

On 12-30 we went to see the blocked Narrows from the East (highway 5).

David K - 1-9-2013 at 06:50 PM

So, blocked even for rock crawler Jeeps (oversized tires, lockers)? Or just blocked for most of us?

Would I make it???

Ken Cooke - 1-9-2013 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
So, blocked even for rock crawler Jeeps (oversized tires, lockers)? Or just blocked for most of us?

Driving up the backside of a Toyota Supra Turbo on concrete blocks

BajaWarrior - 1-10-2013 at 05:04 AM

Quote:

Blocked for the rock crawlers too.

TMW - 1-12-2013 at 12:07 PM

FYI, the new race director for SCORE toured the Matomi rock blockage recently and said they would get a crew and equipment out there to open it up for the SF250 race in March. Whether it will be done by then is anybodies guess.

Ken Cooke - 1-12-2013 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
FYI, the new race director for SCORE toured the Matomi rock blockage recently and said they would get a crew and equipment out there to open it up for the SF250 race in March. Whether it will be done by then is anybodies guess.

Gettin' things done!:yes: