BajaNomad

Gonzaga/Puertocitos

Tomol - 4-8-2004 at 11:05 AM

I'm heading to Gonzaga in May. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, and I guess the road is much better. How much better? Good enough to creep along towing a boat? In the past we've launched at Puertocitos and took the boat to Gonzaga.

If the road's passable with a trailer, is there a ramp (Papa Fernandez?)?. If we have to launch at Puertocitos, we'd like to stay there our first and last nights. Any hotel recommendations? How about leaving a truck and trailer there for two days while were in Gonzaga? Is it safely doable?

Gonzaga boating

thebajarunner - 4-8-2004 at 01:00 PM

Yes, there is a ramp (in poor repair) at Papa's. It is old and very ragged, but with a little care you should have no problem launching, there are a couple boats in and out every day.
It is 'inside the rope' so you will have to negotiate some sort of payment but they are very reasonable.
Last year 7 of us camped 7 nights and launched two boats daily and we negotiated a payment of $75 for the whole thing. Cheap....
As to towing, good luck, one of our guys bent his axle towing out of Gonazaga last year, although it was easily towed on back to Fresno for fixing.
This year he broke a spring on the potholes to Bahia de LA.... take it easy, you will probably be o.k.
Good fishing luck, it was better this year at BOLA than last year at Gonzaga...

Baja Arriba!!

it's good

yankeeirishman - 4-8-2004 at 08:19 PM

just got back from there a few weeks ago. I did a write up on the trip, here in the forums, on our trip. good data to all your questions. and more.

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by yankeeirishman]