BajaNomad

Beer, an drinking in general

Roberto - 3-2-2008 at 08:24 PM

Let me start by saying that I drink my share. To be totally honest, more than my share.

That said, I have a question. I see countless posts that seem to put drinking beer as one of the major factors in trips down south - morning, afternoon, evening, driving, not driving, none of these variables seem to make a difference.

Am I wrong, or are the people on this board just a bunch of folks staggering around the peninsula, putting lives at danger on the roads, and (indeed) going south to be able to do things that would put them in jail north of the border.

Just wondering.

vandenberg - 3-2-2008 at 08:40 PM

You got it.:no::no:

You can quit wondering.:biggrin:

TonyC - 3-2-2008 at 08:57 PM

You talking about yourself. I like my share of beer also, but my spanish sucks, and to drink plus drive...I think not. Excuse me, I need to get a beer.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ligui - 3-2-2008 at 09:13 PM

Dito

castaway$ - 3-2-2008 at 09:21 PM

I think that most people are probably on vacation when in Baja. I like to drink while on vacation, my real life doesn't allow the freedom to indulge when I want. As far as people being stupid and drinking while driving or other activities that would jeopordize others it seems most Nomads are MATURE responsible adults that wouldn't risk the welfare of others, but like I said there are always a few idiots that don't consider others or the joy that could be experienced in a Mexican jail.

castaway$ - 3-2-2008 at 09:42 PM

Actually I read daily, but cyber Vs. reality can be worlds apart, I guess I'm an optomist and my perceptions may reflect that. I am way better at developing an accurate opinion when I meet people and unfortuantely I haven't met any fellow Nomads yet but I hope to change that soon and meet as many as I can.:biggrin:

Mango - 3-2-2008 at 09:59 PM

I make sure I'm well parked and settled into my hotel or campsite before I have any drinks.

That being said. I love beer, wine, and tequila and I am a little upset that you drank more than your share. I hope it was not any of my alloted alcohol. :lol:

longlegsinlapaz - 3-2-2008 at 10:32 PM

I live here full-time & permanently. I don't drink when I drive, actually, I seldom drink....I don't even stock beer in my refrigerator! I'm soooo dull & boring; but I always remember the night before!!:lol: But I am in the minority, most people that I know here do drink on a daily basis. It is totally common to see Mexicanos drinking as they drive here (I've swerved to avoid a beer can sailing out of the driver's window of a cop car!), but either gringos are more discrete about it from the perspective of U.S. drinking & driving laws, or it's more prevalent among the locals. But I agree with Roberto, there appear to be a lot of Nomads who place a great importance on beer & other alcoholic beverages; at least in their posts. Some more than others. Some I'd say is possibly simply male-speak, while others I'd guess are sincerely heavy drinkers! I've noticed that many who retire here either full-time or part time, do drink to; what I consider; excess....for many, I believe drinking is an easier form of recreation that getting up off their butts & finding something more fun to do....out of self-inflicted boredom.

castaway$, if not for your having included the word "responsible" in there, I'd have suspected you actually meant "old" by your "MATURE" comment!:bounce:

capt. mike - 3-3-2008 at 06:53 AM

mexico is where i can drink and drive with impunity.
i just don't drive drunk.

CaboRon - 3-3-2008 at 07:01 AM

I drink one to three times a week.... Last week was typical... on Wed eve at freinds I was offered a beer (one).... Then on Sat night a few of us went to the Hotel California for dinner and I had three Margaritas ... that was very unusual for me (but enjoyable) .....

I never drink and drive ... and I believe that even one or two beers is inadvisable when driving, especially when considering how many other drunks are on the road.

CaboRon

DENNIS - 3-3-2008 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
I haven't met any fellow Nomads yet but I hope to change that soon and meet as many as I can.:biggrin:

A good place to start meeting fellow expats would be any one of the thousands of bars and restaurants in Baja that were designed with the American consumer in mind. Large parking lots for their cars and all that. You can't drive twenty miles in Baja without being inundated with Tecate signs put there to remind you that drinking is for everybody. Just give it the one-eye rule. If you need to close one to drive, you shouldn't.

The Gull - 3-3-2008 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I see countless posts that seem to put drinking beer as one of the major factors in trips down south - morning, afternoon, evening, driving, not driving, none of these variables seem to make a difference.

Am I wrong, or are the people on this board just a bunch of folks staggering around the peninsula...

From the quality of the postings, some are sitting in front of their computers all day, s**tfaced.

4baja - 3-3-2008 at 07:48 AM

when its hot i like cold beer!, i wont drink it warm. and it gets hot in bola.

vandenberg - 3-3-2008 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

From the quality of the postings, some are sitting in front of their computers all day, s**tfaced.

That's my Gull.:biggrin::biggrin:

shari - 3-3-2008 at 09:05 AM

when in Rome!!! I have a funny gringo drinking story to share...a couple weeks ago some nomad amigos were here buying some property...they loaded up the cooler with lunch and "refreshmentws" to go see their new lot out in the boonies....totally gorgeous pristine secret beach...so after taking his wife out to see it (even she loved it) and hanging out there all afternoon....on the drive back to Asuncion they discovered that they only had one tecate left....so she says....oh honey you'd better have it...you're driving!!!:lol:

Bajalover - 3-3-2008 at 09:08 AM

Once you've stopped for the night or have set up camp - it's time to hit the sauce - a couple of glasses of wine or a really cold Maggie / Beer. No driving allowed! :bounce::bounce::lol:

PabloS - 3-3-2008 at 09:12 AM

:lol: I always have a beer when reading the Nomads board, because I feel like I'm in Baja:lol:

robrt8 - 3-3-2008 at 09:27 AM

Does the same bottle of tequila taste better SOB? Maybe it's just me, but I think they're exporting the leftovers.

vandenberg - 3-3-2008 at 09:41 AM

robrt8

Who are you calling a SOB.:biggrin:

Terry28 - 3-3-2008 at 09:58 AM

You should not drink and drive...you could hit a bump and spill your drink..

sunshine - 3-3-2008 at 10:37 AM

Being in the alcohol business, drinking for many is a social event. The discussion of beer and alcohol is something that many people can relate to as most everyone has a c-cktail now and again. It is kind of a common ground. That would be my guess as to why it would come up in so many posts. Besides most good stories about baja tend to revolve around a beer or two. An yes I have been guilty of of one hand on the wheel and the other on a Modelo, but never been intoxicated to point of not being in control, until camp is set up at least.

dtbushpilot - 3-3-2008 at 11:26 AM

There is something about Baja that makes my "medical condition" flare up. I'm not sure if it's the altitude (I live at 5500'), the humidity (very dry in NW N.M.)or the salt water but after a day or two I find that I am afflicted with "low blood alcohol". It usually takes me a few days to get my blood back in balance.

All kidding aside, I find that I drink more when I'm in Mexico than when I'm up North. Don't know why but perhaps therapy is indicated...dt

CaboRon - 3-3-2008 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshine
Being in the alcohol business, drinking for many is a social event. The discussion of beer and alcohol is something that many people can relate to as most everyone has a c-cktail now and again. It is kind of a common ground. That would be my guess as to why it would come up in so many posts. Besides most good stories about baja tend to revolve around a beer or two. An yes I have been guilty of of one hand on the wheel and the other on a Modelo, but never been intoxicated to point of not being in control, until camp is set up at least.

Though you might think you are in control, even one drink impares your response time.... at least be honest about it.

CaboRon

Ken Bondy - 3-3-2008 at 12:28 PM

Most of my Baja trips were by air (over 100 between 1974 and 1993), and I was always careful about the "bottle to throttle" rule. But I saw an interesting thing with first-timers, to the point that we even gave it a name, "Baja Syndrome". A very high percentage of our passengers, even those who had been to Baja with us before, tended to just get absolutely ripped the first afternoon/evening/night. I always attributed it to the pressure relief of finding themselves on a beautiful beach in Baja when they were on the LA freeways only 4-5 hours before. There is a more gradual transition when you drive down, and I haven't seen as many Baja Syndromes on driving trips. But a lot of our friends were really nursing gigantic hangovers on the morning of the first full day. ++Ken++

DENNIS - 3-3-2008 at 12:32 PM

You've got it, Ken. The Baja Syndrome. I think it's a form of preasure release when leaving all that stuff in the states and sitting in a place where one doesn't feel so over-regulated.

fdt - 3-3-2008 at 12:52 PM

Before you hit the road for Satispac get yourself a San Six Pac.
Mas vale borracho conocido que alcoholico anonimo. :spingrin:

BMG - 3-3-2008 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

Though you might think you are in control, even one drink impares your response time.... at least be honest about it.

CaboRon

This is debatable. A 160 lb male will have a blood alcohol level of approximately 0.04 percent 1 hour after consuming two 12-ounce beers or two other standard drinks on an empty stomach. There is little, if any, scientific evidence that this level of alcohol is an impairment to driving. I am not advocating driving and drinking, but the facts do seem to speak for themselves. Anyone know of any further studies that dispute this?

"Although there is a cohesive body of evidence to support the proposition that both psychomotor performance and driving ability can be impaired at low blood alcohol concentrations (Moskowitz & Robinson, 1988; Starmer, 1989), the scientific basis for legally-prescribed (per se) blood alcohol concentration limits for drivers is almost entirely epidemiological and derives from several large case-controlled studies (e.g. Borkenstein et al., 1974 ; Borkenstein, 1985). It is now reasonably clear that the risk of crash-involvement is increased at blood alcohol concentrations above 0.05 g/100 ml and that the blood alcohol concentration of the driver is epidemiologically related to crash-risk. It is much less certain whether any measurable increase in crash-risk occurs below 0.05 g/100 ml."

DENNIS - 3-3-2008 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG

This is debatable. A 160 lb male will have a blood alcohol level of approximately 0.04 percent 1 hour after consuming two 12-ounce beers or two other standard drinks on an empty stomach. There is little, if any, scientific evidence that this level of alcohol is an impairment to driving. I am not advocating driving and drinking, but the facts do seem to speak for themselves. Anyone know of any further studies that dispute this?

"Although there is a cohesive body of evidence to support the proposition that both psychomotor performance and driving ability can be impaired at low blood alcohol concentrations (Moskowitz & Robinson, 1988; Starmer, 1989), the scientific basis for legally-prescribed (per se) blood alcohol concentration limits for drivers is almost entirely epidemiological and derives from several large case-controlled studies (e.g. Borkenstein et al., 1974 ; Borkenstein, 1985). It is now reasonably clear that the risk of crash-involvement is increased at blood alcohol concentrations above 0.05 g/100 ml and that the blood alcohol concentration of the driver is epidemiologically related to crash-risk. It is much less certain whether any measurable increase in crash-risk occurs below 0.05 g/100 ml."

Jeezo....All I want is a cold Pacifico and you turn it into life in a petri dish.

BMG - 3-3-2008 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Jeezo....All I want is a cold Pacifico and you turn it into life in a petri dish.

Sorry, just don't like disputing someone's statements without the facts.

Look at the bright side, if you are 160 lbs or more you can probably safely enjoy 2 Pacificos.

[Edited on 3-3-2008 by BMG]

vandenberg - 3-3-2008 at 02:19 PM

Love statistics.
Have been in the bar business all my life and know a few folks whom consumed enough booze in a week to keep 20 folks in a constant state of inebriation for a month if the statistics were applied.
In other words, different strokes for different folks.
Also know some girls who get silly and giggly after one glass of wine. All in their head.:?::?::biggrin:

bajaguy - 3-3-2008 at 06:17 PM

Originally posted by BMG

This is debatable. A 160 lb male will have a blood alcohol level of approximately 0.04 percent 1 hour after consuming two 12-ounce beers or two other standard drinks on an empty stomach.

I suggest that you not consume any Pacifico until you have had at least two fich, er, fish tacos!!!!:lol:

DENNIS - 3-3-2008 at 06:31 PM

I love fich.

BMG - 3-3-2008 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

I suggest that you not consume any Pacifico until you have had at least two fich, er, fish tacos!!!!:lol:

Yeth thur!

TonyC - 3-3-2008 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

CaboRon

This is debatable. A 160 lb male will have a blood alcohol level of approximately 0.04 percent 1 hour after consuming two 12-ounce beers or two other standard drinks on an empty stomach.

I'm in deep doodoo....I need to gain some weight. I thought my buzz was coming from getting turned on to Pacifico.

Mexitron - 3-3-2008 at 07:33 PM

I drink quite a bit more in Baja but curiously enough I rarely get hungover--another part of the Baja Syndrome I think...if I drank like that in the states I'd be incapacitated!

vandenberg - 3-4-2008 at 09:28 AM

This just in from friends traveling through on their way back up north.
Seems some guy in the Cabo area has a new bar with signs sporting $0.10, yeah a dime, draft beer. When my friends asked the proprietor about it, he explained that he just won a large lottery and since he doesn't need that much money, decided to share the wealth a little. While enjoying their dime beer ,they spotted some guys at the end of the bar with nothing in front of them and asking the owner about that, he explained that they were Canadians who were waiting for "c-cktail hour", with drinks half price.:no::biggrin:

Martyman - 3-4-2008 at 09:58 AM

Hey 4baja;
I saw you drinking a beer at 7am last time I was down in BOLA. It wasn't that hot in November! Do you drink your beer warm when its cooler?

Yup, your wrong

Spyderman - 3-4-2008 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Let me start by saying that I drink my share. To be totally honest, more than my share.

That said, I have a question. I see countless posts that seem to put drinking beer as one of the major factors in trips down south - morning, afternoon, evening, driving, not driving, none of these variables seem to make a difference.

Am I wrong, or are the people on this board just a bunch of folks staggering around the peninsula, putting lives at danger on the roads, and (indeed) going south to be able to do things that would put them in jail north of the border.

Just wondering.

Roberto, you asked a question, answer to your question is "Yes, your wrong"

CaboRon - 3-4-2008 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
Quote:

Just wondering.

Roberto, you asked a question, answer to your question is "Yes, your wrong"

Spyderman,

That is not the impression I am getting from reading the replies posted to this thread.... I am tending to agree with Roberto.

CaboRon

Pompano - 3-4-2008 at 12:51 PM

I know a couple in Mulege who really like to tip a few.
When they were married, they registered at the local liquor Store.
-
Their motto is: Giving the gift of life is administering CPR to a bottle of Merlot.
-
The man told me he has had some talks with the Frangelico monk and often thought he and Mrs Butterworth would make a nice couple.

[Edited on 3-5-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 1aaamild-abandon-84 (Small).jpg - 24kB

DianaT - 3-4-2008 at 05:11 PM

Quote:

Just wondering.

Good post---not to say that we don´t enjoy beer and or other drinks, but so often the emphasis reported here is on drinking.

I do, however, often think that it is the emphasis, not necessarily the reality. IMHO, I guess is somehow sounds ¨cool¨ to sound like a lush. Guess we just arn´t cool. :lol::lol:

Diane

backninedan - 3-4-2008 at 05:21 PM

I would wager that drinking increases more than a little, once you retire here. I have seen it happen over and over.

All the extra free time, getting together with friends more than you did back home, days spent fishing, all seem to lead to an increase in sucking up a few.

Not casting stones, just an observation.

Wingnut - 3-6-2008 at 05:20 PM

You mean there's life other than lifting a few? OH MY GAW! My poor alcohol addled brain couldn't comprehend that! Really, a lot of people are on vacation when they are in Baja and do spend more time imbibing than those of you who may live there. And rest assured, anyone who has driven Highway One knows you don't pop the top until you stop. I think that most of the nomads on this board are fairly wide open to a variety of experiences among which the discussion of Mexican beer and Tequila tasting is as important as where the best fish tacos are. It's part of Baja life and the more you know the better informed you are.:coolup::coolup::coolup: